02-29-12 08:10 PM
122 123 ...
tools
    I posted this reply in comments to a recent article but feel it is worthy of a thread. In addition to the common reasons given for BB 7 lackluster sales, I feel this is often overlooked:

The problem is everyone including RIM is waiting for BB 10. The launch and promotion of BB 7 devices as many are aware of, was completely botched. That was a golden opportunity to begin raising awareness of the new Blackberries. Most people have no idea what a huge step forward was taken with the browsers in 9900 and 9800 lines.

But, rather than really try and point out the new hardware and capabilities, RIM and I hate to say it, even Crackberry focused on the very traditional keyboard 9900 series. Most former or non BB users did not even give that a second glance. To them, it looked like the same old BB. The Torch 9850/50 series with a large touch screen was much better suited to raising awareness and promoting BB 7 and the new hardware. The New Torch would not as easily be mistaken as the same old BB. Non hard core BB users would likely be much more tempted by this perhaps in their mind "more up to date phone" than the Bold. You don't need to promote the 9900 keyboard, the faithful are salivating waiting for it and the most likely to buy it.

By the time BB10 is in store, we are looking at well over a year which could have been put to good use by properly marketing the BB 7 devices. RIM also dropped the ball big time by failing to educate carriers about the new phones. Everyone knows that most store employees knew very little about BB7 devices and many of us know of cases where they discouraged BB 7 uptake.

What a disaster. Wake up RIM. Its not only about the hardware. Nothing wrong with BB7. You just don't know how to sell it. Neglecting to promote the Torch 9850/60 was another in a series of missed opportunities.
    02-26-12 02:46 PM
    I agree with you. My elder brother told me: "That's your NEW phone? It looks exactly like the old models... You lost your money"
    02-26-12 03:00 PM
    Ture, most people want the touch screens, and the new Torch's if pushed more, would sell more. Not to start any flame war or anything, buy the iPhone has looked the same for a long time now, and iOS looks exactly the same, and no one is crying about that, they all just kiss *** and say its so great to Apple, again not trying to start anything here, just stating my opinion.
    02-26-12 03:39 PM
    BB 7 flopped because BlackBerry didn't give any reason for BB5/6 users to upgrade. It is difficult to get new BB users because Android has a cheaper buy in price.

Apple almost convinced iPhone4 users to upgrade to iPhone4S for Siri and a camera. Anyone with a 3GS or lower that skipped on iPhone4 are seriously looking at iPhone4S. Many of their sales come from repeat buyers with short renewal periods and these buyers are the type of marketing that no money can buy.
    02-26-12 04:00 PM
    Who said it flopped? I see plenty OS& BBs around.
    02-26-12 04:03 PM
    OP,
    What is your criteria of "flopped" and do you have any stats to back up your claim?
    13echo4 likes this.
    02-26-12 04:07 PM
    I bought a new 9860 and got rid of my 9700 with keyboard. I'm not sure why they are still pushing the keyboard over touch screens. I also think they can do both for the die hard keyboard fans but they should promote the touch screen more. Getting use to the touch screen took about a week and I love the extra screen space.
    Carbonetics likes this.
    02-26-12 04:42 PM
    isn't this a bit old "hat" I've had what was supposed to be the ultimate in it's day and it didn't live up to the hipe, My torch does and so does OS7. The UK is humming BB. It's just a natural music in my ears.

PS Twice in the last couple of days people have admired my phone and its keyboard. I say yes it's a BlackBerry.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 02-26-12 at 04:45 PM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-26-12 04:42 PM
    I agree with you. My elder brother told me: "That's your NEW phone? It looks exactly like the old models... You lost your money"
    First of all, who said BB7 flopped? All it was ever intended to do was slow the bleeding until BB10 drops, and I'd say it's done that pretty well.

Secondly, sorry, but this is a pretty ignorant response. Aside from the fact that the exterior of the new BB's has been modernized, the biggest advantages of all BB7 devices are under the hood. And to repeat an old story, if you want to see phones that remain unchanged not only from year to year but from manufacturer to manufacturer, look at just about any Android.

This whole thread is a rehash of the same topic covered in hundreds of other threads graciously illuminating all of us as to the myriad things RIM does wrong. We've now gotten a preview of some of the things we can expect in BB10 in the PlayBook OS2.0 earlier this week. I think it's well past time to move along.
    Jake Storm, CDM76 and Blacklatino like this.
    02-26-12 05:29 PM
    Flopped may be a little harsh. Sales have not been impressive though when compared to the market leaders (which RIM use to be a part of).
    02-26-12 05:31 PM
    I posted this reply in comments to a recent article but feel it is worthy of a thread. In addition to the common reasons given for BB 7 lackluster sales, I feel this is often overlooked:

The problem is everyone including RIM is waiting for BB 10. The launch and promotion of BB 7 devices as many are aware of, was completely botched. That was a golden opportunity to begin raising awareness of the new Blackberries. Most people have no idea what a huge step forward was taken with the browsers in 9900 and 9800 lines.

But, rather than really try and point out the new hardware and capabilities, RIM and I hate to say it, even Crackberry focused on the very traditional keyboard 9900 series. Most former or non BB users did not even give that a second glance. To them, it looked like the same old BB. The Torch 9850/50 series with a large touch screen was much better suited to raising awareness and promoting BB 7 and the new hardware. The New Torch would not as easily be mistaken as the same old BB. Non hard core BB users would likely be much more tempted by this perhaps in their mind "more up to date phone" than the Bold. You don't need to promote the 9900 keyboard, the faithful are salivating waiting for it and the most likely to buy it.

By the time BB10 is in store, we are looking at well over a year which could have been put to good use by properly marketing the BB 7 devices. RIM also dropped the ball big time by failing to educate carriers about the new phones. Everyone knows that most store employees knew very little about BB7 devices and many of us know of cases where they discouraged BB 7 uptake.

What a disaster. Wake up RIM. Its not only about the hardware. Nothing wrong with BB7. You just don't know how to sell it. Neglecting to promote the Torch 9850/60 was another in a series of missed opportunities.
    rim may have done a poor job marketing the new os release ill give u that, but as an os i would say it hasnt flopped at all . night and day better than os 6 i was running. only thing i would have liked is for certain fewatures , such as nfc , to be available on all devices...but i understand its because of hardware issues from one bb to another.
    02-26-12 05:37 PM
    I bought a new 9860 and got rid of my 9700 with keyboard. I'm not sure why they are still pushing the keyboard over touch screens. I also think they can do both for the die hard keyboard fans but they should promote the touch screen more. Getting use to the touch screen took about a week and I love the extra screen space.
    This too has been beaten to death in these forums. It's because there are still a lot of us who prefer a physical keyboard, even after spending a good bit of time with virtual. Over a year with my Torch; several years with an iPod touch; several years with my wife's iPhone; 10 months with this PlayBook; I still greatly prefer typing on my 9900, hands down, not even a contest. I can assure you I am not alone. Furthermore, WP and Android manufacturers continue to offer phones with physical keyboards, which strongly indicates that even they acknowledge there's a market for them. Not a huge market, but they surely wouldn't make them if they didn't think people would buy them. Full touch screen devices aren't for everybody.
    13echo4, Peritaxis and lynawry like this.
    02-26-12 05:42 PM
    My 9900 is awesome. I wouldn't. Call. It a flop. At all. I am totally happy with my phone. Os 7.1 is great.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-26-12 06:28 PM
    saying this is like saying iphones change every year. They all look the same to me

also love my 9900!!!
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-12 06:33 PM
    I have to say I like my 9900. It"s the first BB I'm afraid to drop and I don't even own it. I also find myself using and liking the browser.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-26-12 at 07:44 PM.
    jefftam68 likes this.
    02-26-12 06:36 PM
    My 9900 is awesome. I wouldn't. Call. It a flop. At all. I am totally happy with my phone. Os 7.1 is great.
    Strange post OP.

Yeah I am happy with my Bold and os7 too. I keep seeing more os7 BB's as time goes on.
    02-26-12 06:37 PM
    First of all, who said BB7 flopped? All it was ever intended to do was slow the bleeding until BB10 drops, and I'd say it's done that pretty well.
    Dude slowing the bleed is the literal interpretation of flopping. Why would a company want to slow the bleed and not completely heal the wound?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    02-26-12 06:47 PM
    Dude slowing the bleed is the literal interpretation of flopping. Why would a company want to slow the bleed and not completely heal the wound?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    Apparently we have differing views on the definition of a flop.

BB10 is intended to be the big cure, but they knew they couldn't wait until BB10 comes out without another update to the old BBOS. That's not to take anything away from BB7 - it's a decent OS on some competitive hardware, and most BB7 users are pretty satisfied with it. But RIM as much as admitted that it's BB10 and not BB7 that they're counting on to turn things around.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 02-26-12 at 07:01 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-12 06:59 PM
    These trolling threads are a waste of bits. My Torch 9850 works great, and if RIM would advertise it, sales would be strong as a full touchscreen device. Since flop is completely subjective, this thread only leads to meaningless debate.
    02-26-12 07:08 PM
    The op's thread is a trolling flop.
    Ferretling and JustPlainJef like this.
    02-26-12 07:27 PM
    I don't think it's a flop as the phones are very good...

Lack of serious advertising when the competition is seriously advertising doesn't help.

The media constantly proclaiming RIM might not make a come-back...i.e. almost zero consumer confidence in the brand

They should've seriously lowered the price of the phones right after they launched the playbook...offering all the deals we're starting to see now

BlackBerry has an ecosystem (Ex. BBM integrated apps) that people are clueless about.
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-26-12 at 08:00 PM.
    02-26-12 07:30 PM
    To the original poster, I agree with you in RIM being clueless in marketing the BB7 phones not only by lack of memorable marketing, but also let people know over a year in advance whats coming next! We all know the BB10 phones are coming.

But I disagree with you in RIM pushing touch only devices and abandoning QWERTY keyboard phones. RIM has always had excellent physical keyboards on their phones, I think that is where their fan base really is, it keeps me coming back thats for sure. I am not saying RIM cannot have an all touch device, but keyboard with touch should be the priority.

I think the best BB's ever made so far are the BB 9900/9930 and Torch 9800/9810. Why? The use of trackpad, keyboard, and touch screen! RIM should design most phones like those.
    02-26-12 08:04 PM
    The Torch 9850/50 series with a large touch screen was much better suited to raising awareness and promoting BB 7 and the new hardware
    I think you have a good point. I know plenty of people at work that know nothing about BB 7 devices. Nothing. They don't even know that there is a new large touch screen BB. But they seem to know plenty about iPhones and Androids. So somehow RIM's marketing wasn't "mainstream" enough to reach these people and convince them to try OS7.

However, on the other hand, I believe there is a certain amount of "Blackberry fatigue" going on at the workplace. I find in interesting that new hires, who do get a BB paid for, choose to buy non-BB phones as their personal device simply because it is not a BB. (That's what a few of them have told me). I believe that a major problem is simply the lack of choice, our company allows mostly older models to be used, which pale in comparison with OS7.
    02-26-12 08:35 PM
    9900 lacks advertising and apps and batteries.. otherwise it's great!
    02-26-12 09:08 PM
    I don't think it's a flop as the phones are very good...

Lack of serious advertising when the competition is seriously advertising doesn't help.

The media constantly proclaiming RIM might not make a come-back...i.e. almost zero consumer confidence in the brand

They should've seriously lowered the price of the phones right after they launched the playbook...offering all the deals we're starting to see now

BlackBerry has an ecosystem (Ex. BBM integrated apps) that people are clueless about.
    In light of all you mentioned, that RIM doesn't advertise more suggests they don't believe that "advertising" is the only thing standing between their devices and higher sell-through.
    02-26-12 09:57 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD