So .... you're here on CrackBerry with what you're calling the best mobile device ever because .... ????? If you feel the need to shove that thing in everybody's face -- which based on your signature you obviously do -- then either you're not as confident as you say you are that it's the best device ever, or you're just starved for attention ... or you're trolling. Which is it?
    Its not a signature specifically for this forum lol. If you were familiar with tapatalk you would know it uses the same end-of-post-handle for every forum you have linked to the application (i.e. this isn't the only forum i visit, and my signature has nothing to do with crackberry). Secondly, the previous poster made the inquiry, I was simply responding to him. It obviously caught his attention (and yours as well) for whatever reason, which was not the intention of my post. Why we are talking about this is beyond me.

I'm the kind pf person that doesn't like to walk around with a brick in my pocket or tu require a man purse just to carry my phone.

I would love to see you with your phone strapped to your arm at the gym lol. If that's the future of smartphones I would rather go back to a dumb phone.
    The dimensions of the phone is really not that large. The phone is thinner than the 9900 in comparison, so how it a brick? It just happens to be tall. The length of the average pocket is about 8" or so.

Not trying to derail this thread sooooooo back on topic?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 02-27-12 at 09:22 AM.
    02-27-12 09:12 AM
    I'm not so sure BB 7 actually flopped. I know 4 people who came back to BlackBerry after os 7 came out. 3 left for Android and 1 left for iphone. All 4 now own a 99. I also know 3 other people who had never owned a BlackBerry until os 7. 1 9810 the others own a 99 as their first berry phone. 4 of them also own a PlayBook. These seven people I all know personally. They each live near me in boring east central Indiana.

I'm sure it's a utter fail though op. I'm just not seeing it here. I've owned a BlackBerry continuously for the last 6 years and I've never seen as many out in the wild as I have so far in 2012.
    02-27-12 09:29 AM
    Its not a signature specifically for this forum lol. If you were familiar with tapatalk you would know it uses the same end-of-post-handle for every forum you have linked to the application (i.e. this isn't the only forum i visit, and my signature has nothing to do with crackberry). Secondly, the previous poster made the inquiry, I was simply responding to him. It obviously caught his attention (and yours as well) for whatever reason, which was not the intention of my post. Why we are talking about this is beyond me.

The dimensions of the phone is really not that large. The phone is thinner than the 9900 in comparison, so how it a brick? It just happens to be tall. The length of the average pocket is about 8" or so.

Not trying to derail this thread sooooooo back on topic?

No matter how you put it that is a huge phone, personally I would be embarrassed using one.

Making use of an app doesn't excuse the slightly insulting signature you have on a blackberry fan forum.
    02-27-12 09:38 AM
    No matter how you put it that is a huge phone, personally I would be embarrassed using one.

Making use of an app doesn't excuse the slightly insulting signature you have on a blackberry fan forum.
    Too bad I guess. Opinion noted.

Anyway, I honestly believe if RIM only released os7 sort of as a band-aid until bb10 is released, that was a big mistake. And I would have to agree that maybe it flopped in some aspects, primarily sales. As a Playbook owner I hope bb10 is at least as good as os2.0 out of the box. It would take a good marketing agenda for it to not "flop" so to speak, like os7.

For clarification purposes: flop does not mean it sucked btw.

02-27-12 10:12 AM

Anyway, I honestly believe if RIM only released os7 sort of as a band-aid until bb10 is released, that was a big mistake. And I would have to agree that maybe it flopped in some aspects, primarily sales. As a Playbook owner I hope bb10 is at least as good as os2.0 out of the box. It would take a good marketing agenda for it to not "flop" so to speak, like os7.

For clarification though, who said it flopped? Where does that come from? Rim hasn't released figures yet. When they do we would know, in the mean time I see plenty OS7 phones about.
    02-27-12 10:28 AM
    For clarification though, who said it flopped? Where does that come from? Rim hasn't released figures yet. When they do we would know, in the mean time I see plenty OS7 phones about.
    C'mon now, we don't need to see RIM sales figures to know os7 devices has not been selling well...

02-27-12 10:42 AM

The alternative was to not release anything other than incremental updates to OS6 between early 2011 and late 2012 (and yes, BB7 is far more than an incremental update). That surely would have been a big mistake. Rushing BB10 to market before the OS and acceptable hardware were ready would have been a bigger mistake. The initial misstep was getting a late start with their next-gen OS, which even RIM has acknowledged now. Turning back time isn't an option, so BB7 was the best thing they could do under the circumstances, and it's done exactly what it was intended to do. The fact that bloggers can't dig past the latest BGR headline and analysts can't see past the next quarter's financial statements doesn't change BB7's intended purpose.
    02-27-12 10:50 AM
    And that's based on what? Who said it's not selling well? Have Rim released their quarterly figures yet and I missed it?
    RIM's last earnings report indicated 14.1 million units sold, which was a small year-over-year decline in shipments from 14.2 million during the same quarter the previous year. This despite the fact that the quarter began after the OS 7 devices were launched. It would appear the devices are selling, but we're not keeping pace with last year's sales, at least initially.

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...ss_release.pdf
    02-27-12 10:52 AM
    C'mon now, we don't need to see RIM sales figures to know os7 devices has not been selling well...

Huh? How? How do we know that?
    02-27-12 10:54 AM
    Agree with your comment re BB10 not having mindshare, though this is a failure when other phones are doing a great job stealing mindshare.
    I can't see why someone would get an OS7 phone, I really can't.
    In the UK I have an OS6 Bold for half the price of an OS7 Bold.
    for double the price I can have the benefit of losing UMA, getting a worse camera, less battery life.
    On the plus side the keyboards a bit bigger and it has a touchscreen.
    I don't see why anyone looking at it from a financial or value perspective would ever get the 990 over a 9780.
    Its not even future proof, no front facing camera, found on almost all the other phones of a similar, or cheaper price.
    So even if video chat does get integrated, you're still screwed with OS7.
    Dude. Are you high or just haven't ever used an os7 device? The os6 devices are so painfully slow to use in comparison it hurts even reading what you wrote. The extra processing power and memory is worth the price of admission alone. If I'm not mistaken its the liquid graphics concepts that made them change 6.1 into 7.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 11:02 AM
    RIM's last earnings report indicated 14.1 million units sold, which was a small year-over-year decline in shipments from 14.2 million during the same quarter the previous year. This despite the fact that the quarter began after the OS 7 devices were launched. It would appear the devices are selling, but we're not keeping pace with last year's sales, at least initially.

Soooo, no flop then. By the wy, OS7 devices re still being lunched, the budget models re yet to be relesed.
    02-27-12 11:10 AM
    Sorry, but this statement alone is just plain ignorant. Do a little research. If this was hardly an upgrade from OS6, it would be able to run on OS6 devices. It can't. And not everybody wants a front-facing camera on their phone. In fact I don't know anyone who has one who actually uses it.

Go use a 9700 and a 9900 side by side, or a 9800 and 9810, then come back and make this same statement with a straight face. I had both a 9800 and 9810; virtually identical outside, but the difference is night and day.

You can also get an iPhone 3Gs for a LOT less money than an 4s. Looks like basically the same thing to me. Oh yeah, it has a front-facing camera -- that's certainly worth the $300 (subsidized) price difference.

As for battery life, you people love to tout the high-end Androids as having specs so far ahead of BB and dismiss their horrendous battery life; but now that OS7 devices are a little hungrier than their predecessors, all of a sudden battery life is important. Can you make up your minds?

Got any stats to back that up? Again, as stated earlier, BB7 was intended to keep BB users in the fold more than to attract new users -- although it is still attracting some new smart phone buyers. By your logic, most Android and iPhone users are holding off buying new devices because they know it's only a matter of time before newer models arrive. That isn't the case, either.

If everybody waited for the next gen devices to make a purchase, nobody would ever make a purchase.
    Wind your neck in bud, you're not making much sense at all.

OS7 should run on OS6 hardware, it started as 6.1 and isn't the leap in terms of hardware requirements that BB10 should be.
    I did my research, and found that OS7 had worse battery life, a lot of OS6 apps wouldn't work on it, and there was virtually nothing app wise to entice me to move to OS7 vs OS6.

I used my 9780 next to the 9900 when considering it and found very little difference apart from the touchscreen, which isn't a key for me. Interesting how you'd rather compare it with a 9700 which has less RAM. I understand you'd like to justify your decisions but you seem to be trying to manipulate the choice by comparing the 9700 with the 9900 instead of the 9900.

Regardless of whether you feel the front facing camera is a key or not, it is a future proof feature. Most of the other competing phones in that bracket have one, so even if it does catch on you're set.
    NFC is fantastic, if supported. It isn't in the UK and most places outside North America, at least to a large extent, so its fairly pointless at the moment, although it is future proof, Ill give you that.

When you say that 'you people' love to tout Androids high end specs, not sure who you mean. Im a BlackBerry owner and moved from Android because the battery life and UI were awful. I think OS6 is fantastic. I think OS7 is an incremental step forwards at best and a step backwards from certain key hardware views, camera and battery mainly.
    If faced with a choice between a 9900, or a 9780 plus PlayBook for cheaper than the 9900 alone, I still don't see why anyone would consider the 9900 unless money was no object at all. I don't think those are the people RIM need to attract to ensure healthy marketshare, as like it or not, those are the people far more likely to get an iPhone to be 'cool' or 'trendy'.

Re your last comment about iPhone buyers holding off on buying the iPhone because the next one is about to come out, I think you'll find that does happen. Apple isn't stupid enough to announce the iPhone 5 or iPad 3 and talk about how completely awesome it is BEFORE releasing the previous version of their product. RIM did. Which makes OS7 dead on arrival to anyone but the strongest of fanboys, and the hardware choices certainly don't help.
    02-27-12 11:18 AM
    I can't see why someone would get an OS7 phone, I really can't.
    I don't see how anyone would buy a phone that forces him/her to go to a store simply to replace a battery, but they sell by the millions.
    I don't see how anyone would use a phone as a primary device when it barely lasts to lunch, but they do.
    I don't see how anyone would put financial information on a device with frequent security incidents, but they do.
    I don't see how anyone would want to type only a slab of glass, but people are clamoring for it and these phones are outselling keyboard phones all over the world.

See....what I don't understand doesn't matter one iota to the millions who are carrying around a piece of glass that doesn't allow them to change a battery and which have certain security incidents. But people do. And really, it doesn't matter to me how you could not understand that I absolutely love my *four* BBOS7 devices.

The market allows for diversity of choice.

So...people choose what they want to choose. And there are millions of us who have chosen BB OS7. Quite literally.

So...vive la diff�rence
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-27-12 at 11:35 AM.
    02-27-12 11:31 AM

I believe the ATT issues with releasing the new devices existed at that point, where this RIM quarter wouldnt have those issues. March 3 I believe is the close of the quarter, with sometime later in the month release of the numbers.
    02-27-12 11:45 AM
    I don't see how anyone would buy a phone that forces him/her to go to a store simply to replace a battery, but they sell by the millions.
    I don't see how anyone would use a phone as a primary device when it barely lasts to lunch, but they do.
    I don't see how anyone would put financial information on a device with frequent security incidents, but they do.
    I don't see how anyone would want to type only a slab of glass, but people are clamoring for it and these phones are outselling keyboard phones all over the world.

See....what I don't understand doesn't matter one iota to the millions who are carrying around a piece of glass that doesn't allow them to change a battery and which have certain security incidents. But people do. And really, it doesn't matter to me how you could not understand that I absolutely love my *four* BBOS7 devices.

The market allows for diversity of choice.

So...people choose what they want to choose. And there are millions of us who have chosen BB OS7. Quite literally.

So...vive la diff�rence
    You're quite right, except the users of each of the platforms you write about would find other reasons to justify their choice. Very few would turn down the chance to upgrade to their chosen suppliers latest and greatest, if offered the chance.

I love my 9780 but the 9900 would cause me major issues re the battery and inferior camera as I need to take close up shots of documents often.
    When the people who love your platform don't want to upgrade to your phones then you've got a problem.
    OS7 is not lighting the world on fire and many would argue that the money spent on developing the platform, devices, marketing etc, when BB10 was always the end game, would have been far better spent bribing major developers to move their apps over, or even just sat in the bank, or adding video chat to BBM and then spreading it multi platform and charging other makers and users for it.
    OS6 phones will continue to fly off the shelves as they are fantastic and in many ways surpass the latest and greatest from other makers. OS7 is a harder sell though, and for a BlackBerry fan the latest and greatest phone should never be a hard sell.
    Last edited by bobauckland; 02-27-12 at 12:03 PM.
    02-27-12 12:00 PM
    Who said it flopped? I see plenty OS& BBs around.
    'Flopped' may not be the preferred word around here but from outside it looks like nothing else.
    Yes, harping on about the keyboard on a BlackBerry (like dear old Crackberry, OP you are right) was wasted advertising. Everyone knows that.
    RIM was supposed to point out demonstrate that the traditional, perceived weaknesses of BlackBerrys had been ironed out in OS7.
    They are much better devices but noone pointed out.
    A casual passerby looking at a 9810 or 9360 or 9790 or even 9900 can be forgiven for saying "ahem RIM and their 7 year old devices".
    The morale of the story is, fanboys aside, noone has time to follow RIM's mind numbing device coding system let alone noticing the 'little' differences between the devices.
    02-27-12 12:10 PM
    Wind your neck in bud, you're not making much sense at all.

OS7 should run on OS6 hardware, it started as 6.1 and isn't the leap in terms of hardware requirements that BB10 should be.
    I did my research, and found that OS7 had worse battery life, a lot of OS6 apps wouldn't work on it, and there was virtually nothing app wise to entice me to move to OS7 vs OS6.

I used my 9780 next to the 9900 when considering it and found very little difference apart from the touchscreen, which isn't a key for me. Interesting how you'd rather compare it with a 9700 which has less RAM. I understand you'd like to justify your decisions but you seem to be trying to manipulate the choice by comparing the 9700 with the 9900 instead of the 9900.

Regardless of whether you feel the front facing camera is a key or not, it is a future proof feature. Most of the other competing phones in that bracket have one, so even if it does catch on you're set.
    NFC is fantastic, if supported. It isn't in the UK and most places outside North America, at least to a large extent, so its fairly pointless at the moment, although it is future proof, Ill give you that.

When you say that 'you people' love to tout Androids high end specs, not sure who you mean. Im a BlackBerry owner and moved from Android because the battery life and UI were awful. I think OS6 is fantastic. I think OS7 is an incremental step forwards at best and a step backwards from certain key hardware views, camera and battery mainly.
    If faced with a choice between a 9900, or a 9780 plus PlayBook for cheaper than the 9900 alone, I still don't see why anyone would consider the 9900 unless money was no object at all. I don't think those are the people RIM need to attract to ensure healthy marketshare, as like it or not, those are the people far more likely to get an iPhone to be 'cool' or 'trendy'.

Re your last comment about iPhone buyers holding off on buying the iPhone because the next one is about to come out, I think you'll find that does happen. Apple isn't stupid enough to announce the iPhone 5 or iPad 3 and talk about how completely awesome it is BEFORE releasing the previous version of their product. RIM did. Which makes OS7 dead on arrival to anyone but the strongest of fanboys, and the hardware choices certainly don't help.
    9700, 9780, it doesn't matter -- take any OS6 device you want. If you can't see the difference in performance between a 624 mhz and a 1.2 ghz processor, graphics acceleration and nearly double the screen resolution, then it's pointless arguing about it. You don't think it's worth upgrading, that's entirely your prerogative.
    gravymonster likes this.
    02-27-12 12:13 PM
    I don't care to read pages and pages about this, but my 9900 on 7.1 is amazing. Period. It replaced my 9700 and aside from the battery life (still sorting this out), it's much more than I expected!
    02-27-12 12:22 PM
    I believe the ATT issues with releasing the new devices existed at that point, where this RIM quarter wouldnt have those issues. March 3 I believe is the close of the quarter, with sometime later in the month release of the numbers.
    That may be. However, RIM's own guidance is for 10-11 million units shipped this quarter (http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...nformation.pdf) vs 14.9 million shipped during the same quarter in the previous year (http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...ss_release.pdf).
    02-27-12 12:32 PM
    That may be. However, RIM's own guidance is for 10-11 million units shipped this quarter (http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...nformation.pdf) vs 14.9 million shipped during the same quarter in the previous year (http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...ss_release.pdf).
    Well, it's about time they start under-promising and over-delivering rather then vice versa.
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-27-12 12:39 PM
    By the time BB10 is in store, we are looking at well over a year which could have been put to good use by properly marketing the BB 7 devices. RIM also dropped the ball big time by failing to educate carriers about the new phones. Everyone knows that most store employees knew very little about BB7 devices and many of us know of cases where they discouraged BB 7 uptake.

What a disaster. Wake up RIM. Its not only about the hardware. Nothing wrong with BB7. You just don't know how to sell it. Neglecting to promote the Torch 9850/60 was another in a series of missed opportunities.
    The issue, unfortunately is not marketing (though that wasn't done very well, I agree). As a serial smartphone user, I'd say that the feature set and hardware of the 9900 was 2 years too late. 2 years ago, it would have been a category killer, but when it was released, BB7 simply can't keep up with the functionality people are gravitating towards in their phones. And the "flagship" isn't a tour de force, but something that would represent the low end of phones (form a hardware POV, as well as the OS) on offer from a hardware point of view, and weak in apps compared to its rivals.

I believe RIMM was resting on their laurels the last few years, having a solid platform, and user base it felt was impenetrable - and squandered it by not keeping up with its rivals in the iOS devices and Android devices that are now taking over and threatening its corporate core with improved security and people clamoring for the use of their personal phones.

I agree that BB7 "flopped" because in all honesty it was a refinement, when a revolution was called for (If the release of BB7 was instead a BB10 with a dual core processor - they'd have been pounding WP7 right now and stopping the exodus to iOS and Android). What also didn't help was that the BB devices didn't take advantage of the new LTE networks on offer from some of their carriers - something that would have given them a toe hold as well (the early Verizon LTE phones, were, to put it mildly, uninspiring ... though right now the gap has been closed)

I believe it isn't too late for RIMM, but they will be coming from far behind with their new release of BB10 and the new smartphones based on it that are due at the end of the year - but the competition is fierce, iOS and Android have a solid developer and use base at this point, and Windows 7 will have a year head start over them with early excellent reviews from Nokia. It is a long shot to regain their (rightful) slot in smartphone lineups, and it will take a lot of time, I think, and a plan that is much more aggressive than they have done int he recent past. They honestly have nothing to lose - the path they are on is to irrelevance right now. What they do need is their Steve Jobs - to turn them around, and offer kick products and, yes, market them properly. BB needs to be the cool choice.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 02-27-12 at 03:16 PM.
    02-27-12 03:03 PM
    I love the hardware, and no big complaints about software but clearly RIM is a failure at marketing. This will be their ultimate undoing if they don't fix it soon.
    02-27-12 05:24 PM
    I love the hardware, and no big complaints about software but clearly RIM is a failure at marketing. This will be their ultimate undoing if they don't fix it soon.
    well based on the visible increase of tv commercials alone based on what it was in the past i think they are working on addressing that issue
    02-27-12 05:28 PM
    My 9930 is perfect for me. Give me all the bells and whistles on my PlayBook. I want nothing more than my current BB and when I need that extra power, well I'll just use the open in Playbook for all its glory.
    02-27-12 05:41 PM
    Love my 9930, my 9850, and my 64 gb Playbook---no flops here!! Thank God for Crackberry.com, because without all of you sharing your experiences I would never have known how great these products are. The 9850, especially, is terrific!!
    02-27-12 06:11 PM
122 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD