Okay so we all know that blackberry has been using NFC since last year with the os7 devices, but I have not seen a single ad showing off the cool features of what nfc can do. Come on rim! you could have used nfc to one up apple and their ifans but if you ask a random person on the street about nfc they probably wouldn't even be able to tell you if blackberry supports it or not. I have seen more android commercials for nfc in a few months on youtube than blackberry has done in almost a year! Now I read that the iphone 5 will support nfc technology and once the new iphone releases apple is sure to make a big deal about how amazing nfc is and then everyone will learn about nfc and think that the iPhone has the coolest technology just because apple will market the he11 out of it. Im just a little sad to see that rim could have beaten apple to the punch but they really never showed off this cool feature. What do you guys think!?
    Last edited by soren203; 04-19-12 at 12:11 PM.
    04-19-12 11:52 AM
    well you obviously arent looking hard enough

NFC is around my city like a disease

thread for the lulz
    04-19-12 11:59 AM
    Hopefully with BB10, BlackBerry can do something similar to what Sony Experia has done, which is including pretty cool looking NFC tags (branded) in the box of their NFC capable phone. I really want to pay with my Bold via NFC.
    04-19-12 12:04 PM
    well you obviously arent looking hard enough

NFC is around my city like a disease
    I live in Ontario I haven't seen any NFC tags at all here.

thread for the lulz
    Sorry if it looks like im trolling or supporting android/iphone or whatever, I'm swear I'm not blackberry is the best. Like I said in the op I am just a little mad that rim didn't market NFC that much, because when iphone comes out you know they are going to make a big deal about it, when bb did it first.
    04-19-12 12:09 PM
    They aren't gonna lose NFC, it will continue to be added to even more deviced as yime goes by, kinda like Wi-Fi has.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-19-12 12:14 PM
    What do you guys think!?
    I think you just may have missed things.

I also think this post has nothing to do with "BlackBerry is Going to Loose NFC".
    04-19-12 12:15 PM
    Lose*

10char
    04-19-12 01:43 PM
    Maybe it's a regional thing, but I haven't seen squat about NFC anywhere around here (South Louisiana). From anyone. I read about it all the time, but I'll never use it.

I see the OP mentions youtube commercials. Sorry, but to me, that doesn't count. You have to go out of your way and know what you're looking for to see them. Your average consumer isn't going to do that. These things have to be thrown in their faces on TV to really matter. Until that happens, no one will know that much, or care that much, about it.
    04-19-12 03:02 PM
    ...if you ask a random person on the street about nfc they probably wouldn't even be able to tell you if blackberry supports it or not...
    I'm willing to bet that if you asked a random person on the street if they know what NFC is, they'd tell you it's an NFL conference. Most people don't even know what the technology is...
    ayekon likes this.
    04-19-12 03:45 PM
    RIM has as much chance of losing NFC as they do of losing Bluetooth. smh
    ayekon and MADBRADNYC like this.
    04-19-12 04:02 PM
    NFC most useless thing ever at this point in time. Never used it, never even turned it on. I would bet 9/10 people on the street have never even heard of it. In theory, it could be great, but the infrastructure isn't there to support it in the US at this point in time
    04-19-12 04:25 PM
    Hopefully with BB10, BlackBerry can do something similar to what Sony Experia has done, which is including pretty cool looking NFC tags (branded) in the box of their NFC capable phone. I really want to pay with my Bold via NFC.
    That is pretty cool that Sony does that...

However, NFC tags are plentiful and for $1 a pop on ebay, pretty affordable...

Pointless thread is non-pointed....
    04-19-12 04:28 PM
    RIM has as much chance of losing NFC as they do of losing Bluetooth. smh
    I didn't mean physically loose it, I just meant that if apple does it everyone is going to think of it as an iphone technology when blackberry had it first.
    04-19-12 07:42 PM
    I didn't mean physically loose it, I just meant that if apple does it everyone is going to think of it as an iphone technology when blackberry had it first.
    Yeah, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares? I mean really. Android has been doing it before BBOS, iOS is just late to the party. Unless you are waiting for iPhone 5 or whatever, I just don't see the point of the thread. Maybe once all the iphone users adopt NFC, that may put pressure on companies to seriously think about using that technology. I mean the way Asia and Europe have been. NFC has it's uses already. Be patient.
    04-19-12 07:55 PM
    I could swear they were just talking about incorporating NFC to access buildings of some major company few weeks ago.

Maybe they are taking a business approach instead of using it as a gimmick. I do get what the opmeant tho,minus the thread title...
    04-19-12 09:24 PM
    I think you just may have missed things.

I also think this post has nothing to do with "BlackBerry is Going to Loose NFC".
    Agreed. I think what really happens that if BlackBerries make NFC tags loose then they'll fall on the floor and get swept up/lost. Perhaps that's why the poster above has never seen an NFC tag in Ontario - BlackBerries are still very popular here.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    04-19-12 10:29 PM
    I could swear they were just talking about incorporating NFC to access buildings of some major company few weeks ago.

Maybe they are taking a business approach instead of using it as a gimmick. I do get what the opmeant tho,minus the thread title...
    Agreed.. Dumbest title ever for programmable tags...

They will not lose a standard though... like it was mentioned, not gonna lose BT...

After that, they're a dollar a tag... Not Obama subsidized...
    04-19-12 10:41 PM
    The best thing for RIM is that NFC gets global, whether it's by its own advertising/promo or others' ... Anyhow this won't be a clear marketing advantage in the (very) near future; almost all phones brands will offer it sooner than later. So, apple and android is pushing NFC ? Thanks guys: you pay for the adds and RIM can say "I was first (timer)".
    So be it.
    04-20-12 02:18 AM
    Great idea. Bundle a couple of NFC tags into every BB10, have an native app that can program tasks for the tag. That would make users more aware of what they can do with NFC. Plus, create more accessories that is NFC enabled like what Nokia is doing. NFC enabled bluetooth headsets and speakers.

If the iPhone does have NFC, you can be sure that they will have an extremely good reason to do so. Apple doesn't implement features for the sake of implementing it. They implement it only if there is a reason to do so, or a feature that can make good use of it. That's why they may not be the first company to implement certain features, but once they implement it people take notice of it.

When the Bold 9900 first came out, there were practically no use for it for most people. Then only in 7.1 they added BlackBerry Tag.
    addicted44 and soren203 like this.
    04-20-12 02:47 AM
    I have just seen this in UK like the articale says this is a half way house.
    I like the BlackBerry being featured first, I know childish

Your credit card - now available as a sticker as Barclaycard launches PayTag - Yahoo! Finance UK
    redit cards could be replaced by stickers for small transactions, payments giant Barclaycard has claimed.
    The firm�s new "PayTag" is just one third of the size of a normal bank card, and the firm hopes that users will stick it to the back of their mobile phones .
    The launch is the latest in a new bid by companies including mobile networks Orange and O2 and web giants such as Google to encourage users to pay with �contactless� technology that does not always require a pin code.

Barclaycard claims 150,000 contactless payment terminals will be in shops including Waitrose, Tesco, McDonalds and sandwich chain Eat by the end of the year, but it does not release figures on how many people are currently using them.
    The limit on contactless payments is currently �15, but it will rise to �20 in June. London buses will also accept contactless payments by the end of this year, with the rest of the capital�s transport network following in 2013.

[Related link: Compare credit card deals online]
    The security of some contactless payments has been called into question, but a recent investigation by mobile phone security firm ViaForensics found that only a small number of the 15million contactless cards in circulation could be accessed easily. All fraud is covered by the card companies� standard policies.
    David Chan, chief executive of Barclaycard Consumer Europe, said the new type of card would complement traditional credit cards, and said that it was just as secure. He also claimed that the firm had done �huge amounts� of research to prevent the PayTags from falling off whatever they were attached to, and to make sure they did not leave sticky marks when they were removed from users� phones.
    He added that research showed sticking the cards to mobile phones was acceptable to consumers because they appreciated not having to carry a wallet, but were also used to looking after phones because losing them was as costly and inconvenient as losing a credit card.

Although he called PayTag �another milestone�, Mr Chan conceded that it was a halfway house until payment technologies was built in to phones. A study carried out on Barclaycard�s behalf predicts that �3billion worth of purchases will be made with mobile phones in the UK in 2016.
    The PayTag will be offered free to all existing Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) customers, beginning today with a first, smaller group of customers.

Sorry To see pics may have to click the link.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 04-20-12 at 04:24 AM.
    blackmoe likes this.
    04-20-12 04:20 AM
    Agreed. I think what really happens that if BlackBerries make NFC tags loose then they'll fall on the floor and get swept up/lost. Perhaps that's why the poster above has never seen an NFC tag in Ontario - BlackBerries are still very popular here.
    Ha Ha!
    You can see why I copied & pasted the title. My thoughts exactly.
    I would get tired of picking up all those tags all day long.
    04-20-12 05:20 AM
    What is this "NFC" you speak of? You should know that it doesn't really exist as Apple hasn't invented it.

This little chip is in the 9900 is simply a violation of a future patent on an upcoming Apple invention ;-)
    soren203 likes this.
    04-20-12 05:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD