I always liked my 8330m's trackball. I like my 9650's trackpad. I guess I like the trackpad, because it seems really robust, maintenance free. I can't imagine anything going wrong with it or it not working. But I can't get excited about touching glass. Nothing "cool" about it.
    03-04-12 04:18 PM
    I really can't imagine how people can be productive using a touchscreen all the time in a textbased world without a stylus, my finger is large enough to cover 11 characters, on the screen!
    It really isn't hard, it just takes some getting use to. I haven't once said to myself "I wish I had a trackpad/ball" while using my iPhone or Android devices. It all depends on how the user handles it really.
    03-04-12 05:14 PM
    It really isn't hard, it just takes some getting use to. I haven't once said to myself "I wish I had a trackpad/ball" while using my iPhone or Android devices. It all depends on how the user handles it really.
    Is your usage largely text based?

How do you read paragraphs on a small screen and interact with them using the touch screen, even on a screen as large as the PlayBook (mind you screen character size is the same on my BB as on my PlayBook) I still can't interact with the sentences without adding an insane amount of scrolling and zooming to copy and paste the key bits in and out for note taking.
    03-04-12 05:24 PM
    Well, I like the trackwheel the best; it was accurate and did what I needed it to do. The trackball changed my life and it was special, but the hype was short lived because all it did over the trackwheel was move left and right. The trackball was a pain because if you had to disassemble it, it had parts that were very easy to lose. I found an alternative way to clean the thing just so I didn�t have to take it apart. Now the trackpad, I love it but I�m not a fan of it. It feels cheap, a little sluggish and maybe the design is a little off, because I can�t distinguish it from the other buttons. And waiting for the chance to get a blackberry with a touchscreen, if I don�t move to as droid first.
    pkcable likes this.
    03-04-12 06:02 PM
    I respect ur opinion thoroughly.
    Bur wouldn't it be obviously difficult to manouver ur divice and rather ur hand to tytpe some thing while fliddling with ur trackwheel.
    Infact the irony is that trackwheel, instead of trackball or for that matter Trackpad, is one one one which will more often require ur other hand to help to finish any given task, isn't it?
    I had missed this post,

Actually the TrackWheel made the Blackberry much more a 1 hand device, you actually held the device very comfortably in 1 hand while navigating the menu's and emails, though the size of the devices made single hand typing much harder so one always had to switch.

would be fun to see a BB with the Trackwheel come back except the Track Wheel having the usage/features of the Logitech MX Revolution ( best mouse trackwheel ever!)
    doing so on a device the size of the 9790, moving the home row to the edge of the device would be a unique design for use,
    and would increase screen real estate without losing the functionality....
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-04-12 06:08 PM
    I like the trackpad, qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen combo, who says you can't have it all? The Torch 9800/9810 and Bold 9900/9930 have these things combined. But I was really bummed out about the early pix we have seen of the first BB10 phone, the London. No trackpad, no buttons at all, no qwerty keyboard= epic fail for me...

Every Blackberry should have touchscreen, trackpad, and qwerty keyboard!!! All in one!
    recompile likes this.
    03-04-12 08:31 PM
    The trackpad is great..but at times I do miss the trackball..my 8900 was the best..I never had problems with the trackball, and never had to get it replaced.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 08:40 PM
    Troll removal!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-04-12 09:01 PM
    i loved the fact that the track pad stayed around when the 9850/60 came out. yes a touch screen is very "in" now but nothing beats a track pad for persision<sp?>...and for people with fat fingers
    03-04-12 09:09 PM
    All those who think trackpads and keypads are a thing of the past, toss out the keyboard and mouse/trackpad on your PC, then get back to me.

There's no way RIM is going to drop full qwerty phones, and I for one am praying they always have a touchpad too. There are situations where no matter how large and precise a screen you have, it's worth is priceless.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    03-04-12 11:24 PM
    Is your usage largely text based?
    Yes. I text, IM and email all day on my device. I also do use a lot of media functions as well.

How do you read paragraphs on a small screen and interact with them using the touch screen, even on a screen as large as the PlayBook (mind you screen character size is the same on my BB as on my PlayBook) I still can't interact with the sentences without adding an insane amount of scrolling and zooming to copy and paste the key bits in and out for note taking.
    I zoom in or out. I have very good eyes, so if the page is formated properly for my screen, I can read it without zooming in if I want to. Dealing with the text is very easy as well. On the iPhone you can select text or in between text with the magnifying glass, and it is extremely accurate to where you touch. On Android it is almost the same way. Some devices have the magnifying glass and some do not (depends on the skin). On stock ICS, all you have to do is hold your finger on a word and it automatically highlights it. If you want more, you move the arrows to whatever you need highlighted.

It does help that on the iPhone and my Galaxy Nexus that the ppi is so high (and that the Galaxy Nexus has a 720p screen).

Like I said, it does take some getting use to. Some people just can't do it though and that is totally understandable. I have a friend that refuses to leave BB because every time he tries to use a touchscreen he gets overwhelmed.
    03-05-12 12:41 AM
    All those who think trackpads and keypads are a thing of the past, toss out the keyboard and mouse/trackpad on your PC, then get back to me.

There's no way RIM is going to drop full qwerty phones, and I for one am praying they always have a touchpad too. There are situations where no matter how large and precise a screen you have, it's worth is priceless.
    Mr.Moderator,
    U and me share the same thoughts.
    Last edited by husainpatan; 03-05-12 at 12:20 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-05-12 05:09 AM
    Yes. I text, IM and email all day on my device. I also do use a lot of media functions as well.

I zoom in or out. I have very good eyes, so if the page is formated properly for my screen, I can read it without zooming in if I want to. Dealing with the text is very easy as well. On the iPhone you can select text or in between text with the magnifying glass, and it is extremely accurate to where you touch. On Android it is almost the same way. Some devices have the magnifying glass and some do not (depends on the skin). On stock ICS, all you have to do is hold your finger on a word and it automatically highlights it. If you want more, you move the arrows to whatever you need highlighted.

It does help that on the iPhone and my Galaxy Nexus that the ppi is so high (and that the Galaxy Nexus has a 720p screen).

Like I said, it does take some getting use to. Some people just can't do it though and that is totally understandable. I have a friend that refuses to leave BB because every time he tries to use a touchscreen he gets overwhelmed.
    fair enough good response.

I see the zooming as I currently have to do it as a slow down, it's akin to losing "C" for compose it only saves a milisecond but boy do you miss that milisecond when it is gone.
    03-05-12 06:02 AM

Zoom/scroll using touch is easy, but when you try detailed copy/paste/edit without some form of mouse, that's where things get dificult. Using an image editor to insert text, would also be an exapmle when the touchpad comes in handy.
    03-05-12 06:42 AM
    There's still an advantage of a trackpad in some cases. You see them less often on full touchscreens in recent days as touch UIs evolve to reduce the need, but there's still the occasional instance where it would be convenient to have one.

For a while I have been predicting/anticipating a software trackpad. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. A virtual keyboard should have an optional virtual trackpad overlay.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-05-12 07:51 AM
    There's still an advantage of a trackpad in some cases. You see them less often on full touchscreens in recent days as touch UIs evolve to reduce the need, but there's still the occasional instance where it would be convenient to have one.

For a while I have been predicting/anticipating a software trackpad. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. A virtual keyboard should have an optional virtual trackpad overlay.

That would certainly be a virtual step in the right direrction.

Sowwy , I couldn't help myself.
    03-05-12 07:58 AM

I agree! I would love to have a trackpad built into the keyboard of my PlayBook, it could double as the ENTER button when enabled, it would be great in flash enabled sites that make heavy use of mouseover
    03-05-12 08:13 AM

Completely agree - touch screens have certainly reduced the need for 'physical' navigation, but they haven't completely eradicated it. On the PlayBook, even virtual arrow 'keys' would be a huge help.
    03-05-12 08:28 AM
    fair enough good response.

I see the zooming as I currently have to do it as a slow down, it's akin to losing "C" for compose it only saves a milisecond but boy do you miss that milisecond when it is gone.
    Agreed. Physical keyboard shortcuts are very fast. Production is increased slightly at the time, but overtime it does add up

Zoom/scroll using touch is easy, but when you try detailed copy/paste/edit without some form of mouse, that's where things get dificult. Using an image editor to insert text, would also be an exapmle when the touchpad comes in handy.
    I agree, things can become complicated. But, I have been able to adjust to the point where I feel I don't need one. Like I said, the arrows come up and they are very easy to move. Not as easy as a touchpad (especially with swipes on a touchpad) but it is super functional.

As touchscreens continuously evolve it will only get better and better. But for now, there are room for both touchscreen and trackpad devices (and there always will be).
    03-05-12 11:35 AM
    Listen up people.
    RIM should/will/can not drop "Qwerty" and "Trackpad".
    Com'on guys, haven't u realized yet? BB is QWERTY and QWERTY is BB.
    03-05-12 11:58 AM
    I like the trackpad, qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen combo, who says you can't have it all? The Torch 9800/9810 and Bold 9900/9930 have these things combined. But I was really bummed out about the early pix we have seen of the first BB10 phone, the London. No trackpad, no buttons at all, no qwerty keyboard= epic fail for me...

Every Blackberry should have touchscreen, trackpad, and qwerty keyboard!!! All in one!
    Very true.
    On my bold 9900 I can't imagine life without Trackpad or qwerty. Yes it has touch but its that tiny winy moment where the trackpad comes in handy and is worth a priceless.
    03-06-12 07:23 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD