I have been reading on here about upgrading your OS on your BB. Is this something that you have to do often? Do you have to do it? I currently have v4.3.0.127. Is there something newer than this? If so where do I go to download these upgrades?

It makes me nervous downloading these because I feel like it's going to cause "bugs" in my phone!
    09-05-08 10:23 AM
    1) No, not unless you always have to have the latest OS, even if it's a beta.

2) No, see 1.

3) Yes, v4.5.0.77 (beta)

4) Google "BerryReview" and "4.5.0.77"

I've been running 4.5.0.77 and it's been pretty solid. No noticeable bugs for me.
    09-05-08 10:37 AM
    The decision to support an updated system is made by each carrier after extensive testing. They will then fully support any issues.

Some carriers have tested and do support the updated, but until your carrier does, you will be on your own.

There is very little difference between your current v4.3xx and v4.5xx OS, except for perhaps correcting the Sound system bug.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-05-08 at 03:23 PM.
    09-05-08 10:39 AM
    This might be stupid, but what does beta mean??!!?
    09-05-08 10:41 AM
    This might be stupid, but what does beta mean??!!?
    There are several rounds of testing that software goes through before
    being foisted on the masses

Alpha - Initial phase
    Beta - Secondary phase.

Both are used to work out bugs, deficiencies and various kinks
    and are not considered ready to be released. Which is also why
    the are also unsupported.
    09-05-08 10:45 AM
    I contacted Verizon and they stated that only v4.2 is available for download.
    When I told them my new Curve came with v4.3 they seemed stumped.
    I asked about v4.5 and they referred me to their OS upgrade site, which only list v4.2.
    My question is if I download a Beta version of OS, such as v4.5, if I experience issues, can I just wipe and go back to a previous version.
    My v4.3 is working fine, however I understand that v4.5 has "documents to Go" and I miss that from my Windows Mobile days.

Blueraven
    09-05-08 01:18 PM
    No problem.

Your safest option is, downloading your current v4.3xx first. Install that first, then install the later version.

If you decide to roll back for any reason, use Windows Control Panel to remove the offending version.

Desktop Manager will prompt you to downgrade.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-05-08 at 02:24 PM.
    09-05-08 02:21 PM
    Upgrading the OS is not necessary by any means, and is actually not recommended if you are unsure what you are doing.

Once your carrier has released an official upgrade for your device, then you may want to consider learning how to upgrade and look at the upgrade process... but if you are not comfortable upgrading, then I would not take any action to do so until the process makes perfect sense
    09-05-08 02:38 PM
    Since I've only had my Curve for a couple of weeks and I'm just now getting everything figured out. I think I'll take Mclure's advice and just enjoy it for a while.

I can wait for Verizon to get off their butts and release v4.5.

Blueraven
    09-05-08 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD