I have opera mini 4.2 working just fine with wifi only - I have no data plan.

Phone is 8220 Flip
    Carrier is T-mobile USA

I just downloaded Opera 5 beta installed it, but during the first launch when you see the opera screen and it says installing, it tries for a while and it says "No working network connection detected". Then it hangs there and you have to do a battery pull to try again, and ultimately end up the same place.

I got the correct TCP settings: wap.voicestream.com

Those were the exact settings i had to put to get 4.2 to work when i installed it months ago.

I know I am connected because i can just do whatever i want on the 4.2 with no issues. Just the 5 is not passing the initial install..

Any clues? ideas?

I really wanna use the 5 but i just can't! HELP!
    09-16-09 12:27 PM
    Did anyone get it working on any blackberry with WIFI only? (no data plan)
    09-16-09 01:29 PM
    It doesn't work for me either. We'll just have to wait til fix it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 02:51 PM
    Hopefully they will release an update soon to fix wifi connection problem. I've been using the opera mini 4 using wifi connection, can't understand y the opera mini 5 wouldn't let us
    09-17-09 01:05 AM
    It still works for me if I turn the mobile network off in manage connections and only have a wifi connection.

09-17-09 01:18 AM
    It wont install over wifi, but works over wifi once it's done installing. It used 13kb which comes out to 13 cents on at&t without a data plan.
    09-17-09 09:57 AM
    yea the problem is the installation. We have to wait for the fix then
    09-17-09 11:01 AM
    It still works for me if I turn the mobile network off in manage connections and only have a wifi connection.
    thanks for this tip. will try this
    09-19-09 04:27 AM
    It wont install over wifi, but works over wifi once it's done installing. It used 13kb which comes out to 13 cents on at&t without a data plan.
    it installed for me over wifi
    09-19-09 04:28 AM

tried what u did and it didnt work for me
    09-19-09 09:42 AM
    it installed for me over wifi
    You don't have a data plan? As in completely blocked? It can be that it is pay as go? Like a previous poster said it comes to 14 cents over att with no data plan. Let us know!

09-19-09 07:53 PM
    I have BB Pearl 8120 w wifi only no data plan , prepaid tmobile sim with 10 mins (lol). I bought this bb used from ebay to experiment with. Thus far, i'm overwhelmed it's way over my head and quite complicated to learn to type and set up with. Anyway, I got 5.0 Opera mini to load today because 4.2 was preloaded on it and didn't work. 5.0 did load for free w/out any data plan or did not use any minutes. I am connected to wifi and see uma and limited tzones.

Now I get a message that says Network Connection cannot be detected.

Any idea what might be the matter ?
    10-21-09 07:17 PM
    For the people still having trouble:
    Once Opera Mini 5 is an app on your BB, it needs to finish installing through the browser. The first time it boots up it will try to request to EULA through non-WiFi internet.

The fix:
    I have internet service blocked from my phone number so I placed someone else's sim card (who owned a BB with internet service) in my phone. The OM5 app will be able to go through the EULA process, hit the BB button, click accept, and swap your sim card back in.

OM5 will now work on your phone.

If you ask me, OM5 is miles faster than then BB Browser and worth the effort.
    11-27-09 03:53 AM
    I have about a month left of free data plan, and I just installed OM5 beta. When I turn off data service, the app works, but I cannot navigate the web. I can only stay at the home page, and I can't browse other sites on Wifi Only.
    11-29-09 07:06 PM
    Hi everyone. Is there any option in the settings (Opera mini 5 Beta) that lets you enable the wi-fi, like in v4.2? I didnt find one. Thanks
    02-16-10 03:18 AM
    hey guys i hav the oppsite problem,it works on my wifi fine but not with my data service,any help please?
    04-09-10 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD