I'm currently writting an opensource geocaching app, but J2ME/BB dev'ing isn't exactly what I'm used to, I have however managed to put something togeather that half works although would love any help from other geocachers that can do BB coding.

I can't post URLs but the OTA install can be done from: gpsavenger.sf.net

The code is GPL'd and available from the sf.net SVN server.
    11-13-08 12:52 AM
    I'm currently writting an opensource geocaching app, but J2ME/BB dev'ing isn't exactly what I'm used to, I have however managed to put something togeather that half works although would love any help from other geocachers that can do BB coding.

I can't post URLs but the OTA install can be done from: gpsavenger.sf.net

The code is GPL'd and available from the sf.net SVN server.
    Very nice interface. A few of us have been working on an app designed for geocaching although not exclusively for geocaching. It is called BlackStar, you can check it out with the link in my signature.

I think both have good features that the other could use.

I would love to look at your code for your arrow. Are you drawing it? Based on the size of the app, I assume you are. That was one big stumbling block for me because I wanted both compass and bearing arrows and ended up using 36 image files each.

Couple of notes on your app:
    1. I could not get the GPX file to load, I am using the GPX file directly from geocaching.com.
    2. Units are all metric. We users in the US still can't embrace the metric system
    3. Nice GUI
    11-13-08 06:58 AM
    I agree with Cook! Very nice UI. I also tried importing a GPX file that I receive in a daily email pocket query and it locked up the phone. I finally did a battery pull after about 10 minutes. The GPX file had 400 caches in it. The entire app is very nicely done, it will be fun to watch how GPSAvenger progresses. I especially like the menu option that says, "Something goes here". Yea I know, it's a place holder - I do the same thing. lol
    11-13-08 08:30 AM
    Very nice interface. A few of us have been working on an app designed for geocaching although not exclusively for geocaching. It is called BlackStar, you can check it out with the link in my signature.
    Good to see you and Paul chat a bit, actually I've been pinching code from B*, I originally wanted to use it as a base, but ended up making a slightly different sized/shaped wheel instead.

I also plan to support geocaching.com loc/gpx files as well, but I want to be able to send hides/finds in real time from the app, or if out of coverage have the app store the hides/finds until it is in coverage and send them then.

1. I could not get the GPX file to load, I am using the GPX file directly from geocaching.com.
    I used your trick and did a string split to parse the GPX file, but GPX files differ... Ain't standards grand?

2. Units are all metric. We users in the US still can't embrace the metric system
    Well a little birdy tells me most Americans are taught metric in your grade schools, metric is such a wonderful system you should embrace it more (not to mention the US is the last/only western nation still using imperial)

3. Nice GUI
    Nice GUIs take a **** of a lot of work I've found

I would love to look at your code for your arrow. Are you drawing it? Based on the size of the app, I assume you are. That was one big stumbling block for me because I wanted both compass and bearing arrows and ended up using 36 image files each.
    Yes you cheated, rather than rotating the image! :P

The arrow is a simple vector shape, I wanted to use a SVG image but only OS 4.6 supported it

another class uses it as an abstract to rotate it, not my code wish I could take the credit for it, my math isn't that great *grin*

I thought about including a compass, but for me, lining up the long/lat is more useful than compass direction to be honest.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 02-13-09 at 11:45 AM.
    11-13-08 04:01 PM
    Just released a new version, and the new code is also in SVN, I'm trying to show the number of caches parsed on screen as the background thread processes them, but the screen doesn't seem to be updating for what ever reason, but the code works for importing.

Eventually I want to store the vast majorit of information contained in GPX files, not just names and co-ords, since coverage can drop out etc and that becomes a pain in the ****, for the time being only cache code, longitude, latitude and nice name are being stored.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 02-13-09 at 11:45 AM.
    11-13-08 05:43 PM
    Just uploaded 0.4.6, which hopefully now supports geocaching.com GPX files as well as loc, source is available in the SVN tree.

There have been some RMS/database changes between versions and it might be a good idea to delete any installed copies before trying to install the newer versions, hopefully the database format won't need to be altered again but who knows.

I really need to set a variable in the config RMS to see if the database version matches and wipe the old database if there is a new 'schema'.

Still can't figure out how to make the count of caches parsed in a thread update on the UI thread/screen, anyone have any tips on this?
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 02-13-09 at 11:46 AM.
    11-13-08 08:09 PM
    Just me again

I just uploaded version 0.4.12, this version supports the DB wipe if needed as I pondered in my previous post, it also reads the GPX files in a BG thread which updates the screen on how many caches have been parsed, still need to add code to kill the thread if the user exists the screen though.

I've started adding a screen to view the cache details too.

Also the place holder button was for something, by the time I added it I forgot what I was going to add
    11-14-08 02:47 AM
    Just uploaded version 0.4.50, with this version you can do full import of LOC and GPX files* from the local file system and it will show you on screen how many have been processed so far.

Once the GPX/LOC file(s) have been processed you will be dropped into the view cache list, when you can sort by name or distance from the current location, you can only sort by distance once GPS lock has been established funnily enough.

Once you highlight and select which cache you want to view you will be shown a screen with approx distance and heading etc, you can also choose to view the full cache details or cache logs from the menu.

* Geocaching.com GPX files only.
    11-15-08 12:16 AM
    Just uploaded v0.4.53, there was an issue with some of the code I've adapted to store locations + logs etc and ids getting mixed up and lost, seems to be fixed now.
    11-15-08 02:48 AM
    v0.4.54 is up, .53 didn't properly handle geocaching.com files, I've made the parsing code a little more robust now
    11-15-08 06:22 AM
    0.4.60 is now up, I took David's advice, not sure if he gave it publicly or not, but ended up dumping the string splitting and using SAXParsing instead for gpx and .loc files all seem to parse quite happily.

After you load a file of way points you can select it, and view the cache details or cache logs from the navigation screen.
    11-15-08 12:41 PM
    0.4.73 is now up, this now adds support for more cache types during import, earlier versions had some issues with the way I was importing some of the cache types as well.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 02-13-09 at 11:47 AM.
    11-16-08 06:44 PM
    0.4.75 is up now, from the nav screen you can now choose to go to the cache web page, or go to the find page directly.
    11-16-08 07:58 PM
    v0.4.81 is now up, not sure why but when loading a new version of the app I was loosing the database contents, from the main screen you can now import/export the database. This is more or less a raw dump of the native format which is binary and so it loads a LOT faster on hand helds then when parsing GPX files etc.

Due to popular demand next version will feature imperial measurements.
    11-18-08 08:10 AM
    v0.4.82 is now up, which as promised shows imperial measurements, you can switch between imperial and metric from the menu on the main screen.
    11-19-08 07:19 AM
    v0.4.95 is up, I've re-worked the vector/RMS code and now hopefully wipe works properly, I also added a prompt for username on first run which can be used to filter hinds/finds/DNFs.

Some additional icons added to cover the above situations, I was going to add an option to make a cache found, but forgot to will do so in the next point release.

In an earlier release I added the ability to go to a cache URI, shortly after I added the ability to go directly to the log page of the cache as well.
    11-20-08 07:02 AM
    v0.4.99 is now up, I didn't realise I was hitting a record size limitation because everything worked fine in the simulator but was a little hit and miss when running on the phone, all seems to be working now though I hope.
    11-20-08 09:27 PM
    v0.4.101 is up, in the cache list you can now toggle caches found and/or DNF, although found takes precidence over DNF.
    11-20-08 09:54 PM
    okie dokie then, v0.5.1 is hot off the press, after much grinning and swearing how limited RIM made the RMS APIs on the 8310, and then trying to get some supposed easy to integrate J2ME DB options in I finally hacked together my own solution using lots of duct tape and tie wire with a little hot glue here and there.

This version uses compression to minimise file reads and writes which speeds up load and save times, also since the data is being written into files rather than the RMS/sun hack job of a hashtable, it should be relatively easy to move data between devices or between sims running on a computer and an actual device.
    11-27-08 05:53 PM
    I've been sort of busy with numerous other apps in the past month or so, also the 4.7 JDE seems to have a nice little bug in the XML parsing so I had to re-write that again completely.

0.6.0 is now up.
    01-10-09 09:30 PM
    this looks nice! Can't wait for the weather to improve to try it out. It worked just fine with the geocache.com gpx files I have.
    01-14-09 10:47 PM
    Hi some daft question for you from a newbie....
    1. Can you tell me if this works with the Storm in the UK
    2. Do i need to register to sourceforge.net to enable a download.
    Am I being daft???:-)
    01-19-09 06:00 AM
    1. Can you tell me if this works with the Storm in the UK
    No idea, but it works on at least one in Australia

2. Do i need to register to sourceforge.net to enable a download.
    No.

Am I being daft???:-)
    Possibly, was that desired when you started out?
    01-19-09 07:02 AM
    very nice gui, looks promising

Thanks
    01-21-09 01:48 PM
    Holy Crap, this is awesome!

I really like the Radar. I can't wait for morning so I can get out there and hit one or .... six.

I might just have to sign up at geocaching.com for the gpx files. I am on the free sign up using the .loc files for now, but after seeing how pretty, and more importantly, functional this app is...

Just wow. Good Job!
    01-24-09 01:11 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD