please let AWS devices have a slightly different device number to help distinguish them from other GSM devices.

An example would be:
    XXX1: gsm version for AT&T or Telus etc.
    XXX2: AWS gsm version for T-Mobile or mobilicity etc
    XXX3: CDMA for Verizon and sprint

Also: please recontinue selling devices directly from your website or retail stores - even if only the cheaper lower end models. In many countries all carriers use the same network and it would be nice to be able to buy a device directly from RIM without being locked to a specific carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by grahamf; 08-27-11 at 04:07 PM.
    08-27-11 12:43 PM
    Those names sound stupid.
    Plus, what is the issue with how it is now? You basically switched the third and fourth number and all it did was make it sounds less fluid and tacky.
    08-27-11 01:16 PM
    Do they need a numbering system in the name. I can see for unit number but bold 9900/9930 sounds cool the others sound stupid.

Just have the names
    Bold
    Curve
    Torch
    storm
    Playbook
    Droidophobe likes this.
    08-27-11 02:51 PM
    What makes ATT so special they would need their own numbering system. The whole idea is ********.
    08-27-11 02:55 PM
    What makes ATT so special they would need their own numbering system. The whole idea is ********.
    I don't think anyone said AT&T was special. They are asking for a better numbering system.

For example. Many people see the name "9000" and think any BB 9000 will work on any carrier that has the 9000 without a problem. This is not true. AT&T and T-Mobile have different 3G bands. So AT&Ts version wont work with T-Mobile 3G and T-Mobiles version wont work with AT&T 3G. Everyone thinks the phone is the same, and it is not internally. You would have to know T-Mobile uses different bands to differentiate the two and not just by branding.

BB 9000 equals one device to most people. They have no clue how many different versions of the device there are because the devices uses the same number on each carrier.

Same goes for the iPhone 4. I had so many people with AT&T iPhones come up to me because they knew I had VZW and assumed they can cancel their AT&T account and just bring their AT&T iPhone 4 over to VZW just because VZW announced that they now sell the iPhone 4 (back when they first announced it). They had no clue the internals were different. They thought iPhone 4= iPhone 4, and that is totally wrong. The software may be almost identical, but the internals are not.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-27-11 at 03:11 PM.
    08-27-11 03:09 PM
    Exactly. In reality people will usually just call them "ninety-nine hundreds" no matter what, and if they want to be precise call them "ninety-nine-oh-ones" or something, depending on the precise version.

08-27-11 03:58 PM
    And I revised the numbering system in the first post.

and it should be:
    X000: generation
    0X00: series
    00X0: revision
    000X: technology

08-27-11 04:10 PM
    And I revised the numbering system in the first post.

and it should be:
    X000: generation
    0X00: series
    00X0: revision
    000X: technology

I still think that if RIM insists on using the number scheme, then they are using the right one; I.E. nice even numbers. With what you suggest, we could end up with something like 'Curve 9347,' which just sounds like some space shuttle from the 60's.

What I would support is dropping the numbers junk altogether. It wouldn't be conducive to the way RIM does things right now but if they got to a point where it makes sense to not have numbers then that means they have narrowed their handset offering to better combat fragmentation and saturation, which I think is something that could help RIM make a comeback. Not to start controversy, but look at what Apple is doing with their products; they might not have as many phones on as many carriers but they aren't changing the name of their devices in any way to bend to the rules of the carrier. That to me is a more admirable and desirable quality in a product.
    08-27-11 04:34 PM
    What happens when more than 10 revisions or network types have shown up? You'd have to repeat the numbers. Good way to confuse people
    08-27-11 04:39 PM
    I think a slightly new numbering system would be nice, though I'd like to see the return of letters, into the scheme,

As for selling direct, RIM needs to commit fully or do as they do now, you can't half @ss it or you really disrupt your distribution channels and contracts

08-27-11 06:42 PM
    What happens when more than 10 revisions or network types have shown up? You'd have to repeat the numbers. Good way to confuse people
    there's AWS hspa cdma lte wimax edge-only and lte+cdma, and others are already intergrated into current devices. That's seven devices, and has RIM ever made more than five devices that were virtually identical? (Curve: 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i)
    The same way they do it now: switch to a different model number (Curve: 83XX, 89XX, 85XX, 93XX)

08-27-11 07:05 PM
    I dont think RIM should have to have a complicated numbering system just to please people that like to unlock their phone to work on a different network. That is the only thing I see people benefiting from this is if you were to unlock your phone. I dont support this idea one bit.
    08-27-11 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD