The Ontario gov't will impose a ban of cell phone use in the car except for bluetooth. The ban includes blackberry, iphones.

TheStar.com | Ontario | Ontario to ban cellphones

I just want to give you guys the heads up.
    10-28-08 06:02 AM
    Yeah, nova scotia did that back in july. Pain the ***. I figure someone in the gov is getting a kickback from Bluetooth manufacturers....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 06:07 AM
    That include passengers as well?

10-28-08 06:21 AM
    No, it doesn't include passengers. That would be beyond ********.... Although, it is Ontario. Hmm....

10-28-08 06:27 AM
    I like how you had to specify the fact that "all cell phone use" includes blackberries and iphones. :-)

10-28-08 06:31 AM
    Actually NY State outlawed driver cell use unless using "hands Free". Hands Free does not include cell phone speaker. My new car has blue tooth and it is wonderful. Hopefully it will be standard equipment in all vehicles in the future.
    Thanks for the heads up by the way as we drive to camp in Ontario about every Summer weekend.
    10-28-08 06:36 AM
    The Ontario gov't will impose a ban of cell phone use in the car except for bluetooth.
    The title of your thread is a little misleading and your statement above is also incorrect according to the article you posted.
    10-28-08 08:29 AM
    Stupid, cheap grab of political headlines. They want to look like they are doing something.

Are they going to ban eating, drinking cofee, fiddling with the radio, applying makeup, shaving, etc...

It's not needed. If a driver causes an accident while talking on a cell phone, it can already be covered under careless driving.
    10-28-08 08:33 AM
    The bans on cell usage while driving are nothing new. NY did it YEARS ago, Cali has done it, everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon after seeing how many accidents are probably caused by driving and talking. I mean come on people, I know you see it on a daily basis while you're driving? That idiota in the left-hand lane doing like 45-50mph cause they can't drive and talk at the same time, or the people who hit their brakes cause they're texting. It's not that hard to see or even foresee the ban that'll take place in most states or cities.
    10-28-08 08:35 AM
    I'm not saying you should, but honestly, if you can't talk on the phone and drive, you shouldn't be driving. A cell phone is no where near as distracting as a backseat full of screaming kids, and no one says anything about that. The cell phone kick is just the latest bandwagon.

I was quite pleased to see the studies out of California and nova scotia since these bans started coming into effect concluding that drivers using hands free headsets were more distracted than those holding a handset. I'll see if I can find info on the one Dal just released...

10-28-08 09:10 AM
    NJ had this ban take effect as a secondary law two years ago, and this past March it became a first law, so they can now pull you over for just that. However we are allowed to use hands free headsets.
    10-28-08 09:12 AM
    we have a law for anyone under 18 driving and talking will get a ticket
    10-28-08 09:26 AM
    We need a law like that here in Indiana. I was involved in wreck due to someone texting while they were driving. Glad to see governments taking action in this matter.

10-28-08 09:29 AM
    I completely agree with this ban. Using a cell while driving is nothing short of ignorant.

10-28-08 09:34 AM
    I'm not saying you should, but honestly, if you can't talk on the phone and drive, you shouldn't be driving. A cell phone is no where near as distracting as a backseat full of screaming kids, and no one says anything about that. The cell phone kick is just the latest bandwagon.

I was quite pleased to see the studies out of California and nova scotia since these bans started coming into effect concluding that drivers using hands free headsets were more distracted than those holding a handset. I'll see if I can find info on the one Dal just released...

That's probably because people are using Bluetooth and not too savvy on how to work it when a call comes in. I just put my BB on speaker and leave it at that. I totally agree with you about the fact that if you can't talk and drive, you shouldn't be driving!

However, I don't really believe these stats you say you have. If they're interviewing users, why wouldn't they say that they are more comfortable using the handset versus the hands-free? I think it'd be safe to say that most don't like having the earpiece on or in their ears, that's why they'd say that.
    10-28-08 09:47 AM
    The ban is a great thing for everybody. Nothing pisses me off more than a belligerent driver, in a huge Hummer, swerving 80mph on the highway taking up two lanes. Most people cannot drive and hold the phone to talk at the same time(at least in america).. It's sad but true. Having a headset is much safer.
    10-28-08 09:49 AM
    The bans on cell usage while driving are nothing new. NY did it YEARS ago, Cali has done it, everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon after seeing how many accidents are probably caused by driving and talking. I mean come on people, I know you see it on a daily basis while you're driving? That idiota in the left-hand lane doing like 45-50mph cause they can't drive and talk at the same time, or the people who hit their brakes cause they're texting. It's not that hard to see or even foresee the ban that'll take place in most states or cities.
    Actually, California does NOT prohibit the use of hands-free devices. It allows you to use a hands free attachment for your cell phone.

The law is completely backwards. Because in states that prohibit text messaging while in car - they allow you to dial a phone number. Unfortunately, this law does NOT extend to law enforcement and it is hard to tell if someone is composing a text message or dialing a phone number.

I agree with the PP who said that it is a cheap grab at political headlines. The BB Bold has a convenience key with voice dial programmed in. So, this is a hand held device but does NOT remove my eyes from the road. How is giving a voice command any different a distraction than carrying on a conversation with my 4 year old in the backseat? Or having a conversation with a passenger? There are too many blurry lines for this legislation to actually pass into law and my guess is that it will be revised and tapered down many times before it is formed into law.
    10-28-08 09:51 AM
    Actually, California does NOT prohibit the use of hands-free devices. It allows you to use a hands free attachment for your cell phone.

The law is completely backwards. Because in states that prohibit text messaging while in car - they allow you to dial a phone number. Unfortunately, this law does NOT extend to law enforcement and it is hard to tell if someone is composing a text message or dialing a phone number.

I agree with the PP who said that it is a cheap grab at political headlines. The BB Bold has a convenience key with voice dial programmed in. So, this is a hand held device but does NOT remove my eyes from the road. How is giving a voice command any different a distraction than carrying on a conversation with my 4 year old in the backseat? Or having a conversation with a passenger? There are too many blurry lines for this legislation to actually pass into law and my guess is that it will be revised and tapered down many times before it is formed into law.
    Because you need two hands to drive, not one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the phone to your head. I'm completely shocked that talking on the phone and driving is still allowed in some places.

Although, I do agree that the politicians dont care about safety and are probably doing it for political headlines.
    Last edited by crackcherry; 10-28-08 at 10:01 AM.
    10-28-08 09:57 AM
    Because you need two hands to drive, not one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the phone to your head.
    The law does not prohibit the use of a dashboard mounted GPS. Are you using two hands to drive when you're pushing buttons on your dashboard mounted GPS? Or when you're grabbing something that just fell out of your visor? Or when you are holding a map/coffee/cigarette/hamburger? How many people do you know that have actually use two hands on a steering wheel?

The law is not being implemented to make you put two hands on your steering wheel, it is being drafted to keep your eyes on the road. So it defeats its own purpose.
    10-28-08 10:02 AM
    they should do away with drive thru s. they cause me to drive with my knees. burger in one hand and shake or maybe cell phone in the other. anyways not all people drive with 2 hands what about the people with only one arm???

PS I don't like talking and drive I am more worried about my own car then talking on the phone.
    10-28-08 10:08 AM
    they should do away with drive thru s. they cause me to drive with my knees. burger in one hand and shake or maybe cell phone in the other. anyways not all people drive with 2 hands what about the people with only one arm???

PS I don't like talking and drive I am more worried about my own car then talking on the phone.
    Actually, if you had a burger in one hand and a shake in the other you could pin your phone between your ear and your shoulder and have your knees free to steer

I honestly think what it really comes down to is driver distraction. The fact of the matter is that anything that you can do in a car (listen to music and singing along, talking to a passenger, rolling your window down) will distract you from the road. That is just the reality of the situation and something that law makers fail to realize. I'm still betting a paired down version will pass but it will be a few months yet.

Keep in mind that I am not by any stretch of the imagination endorsing cell phone use in the vehicle. I can't even count the number of times that I've almost been side swiped by some **** who is chatting away with one hand and changing the CD player with the other. Then they honk back and me and continue their conversation! I have two small kids and understand the importance of being able to focus on driving.

I think if ANYONE wants to make a real difference - they need to modify INSURANCE LAW to disqualify people from making claims on insurance for mobile-related accidents. That being, someone will be required to repair their own car out of pocket as well as the other drivers if they caused the accident being on their phone, texting, etc.

There was a brutal train accident in California some time ago where the train slammed into a freight train. As it turns out, the engineer of the train sent a text message 22 seconds before impact because he was looking down and missed the stop signal.
    10-28-08 10:14 AM
    A dashboard mounted GPS is mounted, so that you dont have to hold it while you drive, keeping your hands on the wheel and concentration on the road. Once you set the GPS you dont need to push the buttons while driving and it will be in front of you for easy view. If it wasnt mounted, you would need to constantly pick it up to look at the screen, taking your concentration elsewhere.

They call the headsets "handsfree" for a reason. I've seen way too many ***** drivers, braking for no reason and not using their blinker to make a turn and it always turns out that they're on the phone.
    10-28-08 10:15 AM
    Actually, if you had a burger in one hand and a shake in the other you could pin your phone between your ear and your shoulder and have your knees free to steer
    Sweet I will have to try that at lunch. I will see how it goes on the highway at 70mph j/k but I must say I'm pretty good drive with the knees at slow speed around the neighborhood. i can make a right turn using the turn signal with no hands
    10-28-08 10:32 AM
    A dashboard mounted GPS is mounted, so that you dont have to hold it while you drive, keeping your hands on the wheel and concentration on the road. Once you set the GPS you dont need to push the buttons while driving and it will be in front of you for easy view. If it wasnt mounted, you would need to constantly pick it up to look at the screen, taking your concentration elsewhere.

They call the headsets "handsfree" for a reason. I've seen way too many ***** drivers, braking for no reason and not using their blinker to make a turn and it always turns out that they're on the phone.
    best thing I seen was a women in a benz on the highway and I seen her hitting the brakes a lot so i sent to get beside her to see if she was on the phone but i came to find she was looking at pictures on a digital camera.
    10-28-08 10:35 AM
    best thing I seen was a women in a benz on the highway and I seen her hitting the brakes a lot so i sent to get beside her to see if she was on the phone but i came to find she was looking at pictures on a digital camera.
    I would have followed her to her destination, exited my car, and smacked her.

10-28-08 10:37 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD