03-30-12 09:45 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    It is almost guaranteed long-term money at this point to invest in places with emerging middle class numbers like Brazil, India and everyone's golden goose: China.
    But China wants the iPhone and iPad.

It never ceases to amaze me just how 'crazed' we have become about technology and cell phones...lol!!! At the end of the day, they are just PHONES that can do cool extra stuff .
    You're missing the point Buddy, they are not just phones that do cool extra stuff. If that was the case I would get another Krazor. It's way more than just a phone. It's a PDA first, phone last. Personally a phone is what I use mine for the least. I am freezing my rear off inside the Arctic Circle and am still able to buy and sell securities. And it's soooo much easier to use an app for that. (Yes, on my BB. The fact that there was an app for that was one of the reasons I went with BB.)

There is a reason why iPhone is hot, it's because it's a good device. What Blackberry (yes the company's name is RIM, but a poster in another thread suggested that RIM needs to change its name to Blackberry, and I agree ) needs to do is go after the Apple haters and get their market share back from Andriod and sign on first time smart phone users.

What also amazes me is the number of thanks that the thread starter received.
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 03-30-12 at 01:17 AM.
    03-30-12 01:14 AM
    Exactly right OP, I've been saying for months, if not years, that RIM needs more TV time to do well in the states.
    03-30-12 01:47 AM
    I have recently had a chance to do a lot of traveling which has opened me up to a lot of foreign tv, media and advertising...and there is something that I have noticed that has rubbed me the wrong way...

Only in America are people Android and iPhone crazy.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize it until I got BACK in America.

Sure there are advertisements for iphone and Androids...but there are Nokia ads and BB ads...I honestly a ton of phones and phone companies that I have never heard of. I honestly didn't even pay it much attention UNTIL I got back in the states.

Suddenly I started to notice EVERYTHING was advertising Android and iPhone. Every commercial offering "iphone and Android" app options...every news show advertising their "iPhone and Android" apps, every other magazine ad...end of a TV show...even at the doctor's office.

I JUST heard it on a commercial before I started typing this on my 9900, which spawned this post. The guy at the end of the short vignette on heart health quickly advised viewers to check out their "iPhone or Android" app before he closed.

I mumbled under my breath, "you would think the only 2 phones in this country are Android and iPhone"...

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks...

The iPhone/Android success has less to do with how good the phones are and much more to do with some sort of American need to "claim" Americans know what's best. And apparently whatever is hot is the best. It matters not what is good...or even what is ACTUALLY best for you...just what's HOT right now.

It holds true with about anything in this country...food, music, news...etc. Nowhere else I've been is everyone talking about Kim Kardashian or even Trayvon Martin...or is Nicki Minaj or Katy Perry songs the biggest hits...or iPhone or Android the only 2 phone options...honestly...there isn't even a constant Mac vs PC argument...because there are so many other options...

This country has placed BB, at a disadvantage I honestly don't think the latest features, fastest software or groundbreaking hardware can fix...

In order for people, in America mind you, to realize that BB is a viable option...is it has to be HOT. If its not perceived as HOT, FRESH or NEW...then it suffers the same fate of every other better but not HOT entity in this country.

Its really sad when you think about it, but we live in a country that is run by a sheep herding mentality...and unfortunately it affects everything from what you eat, watch, wear, listen to...and yes....even the phone that you buy.
    If you have travelled a bit you would realise the OP is right, there is an upside to dominating the North American Market in the mobile space. Nearly the same as the significance of the North American market to Hollywood.

I will let you into a secret.
    Did you know that in terms of value the US market is the same size as the entire Euro zone? It certainly makes a lot of business sense to dominate it.
    03-30-12 08:18 AM
    Leading the world? American companies are bullying the world into drinking from the same Stepford trough, apple convinced the world to buy an amazing 4g tablet that doesn't work on 4g unless it's in north america?!?! An iPhone with an "s" on the end is revolutionary??!?! I bleed GM and always will, but only the classic cars because everthing new is crap compared to European manufacturing standards, but we've been brainwashed to believe in the big 3. The masses are convinced fine dining is Applebees and Starbucks makes good coffee lmao!! The ONLY thing revolutionary about north america is marketing. Take and slap a "in" brand on it and the lemmings will roll off the cliff to get it. I will give Apple and others credit, they are making crap loads of money because they didn't bend over to the unions and manufacture with overpaid labor in north america, they went strait to China and exploited some good old slave labor the American way!!! Almost forgot quality American TV, put on your best Nascar shirt and pull up to the trough American Hoggers and Shipping Wars is on!! Rant over
    Alright, let's agree with your thesis that the ONLY thing American companies do well is marketing.

But as you clearly state, the entire world falls for that marketing, and in fact, since the "new iPad" doesn't even give non-Americans true 4G (never mind that is because the carriers in those nations have not invested in widespread 4G rather than in anyways being Apple's fault) it seems that non-Americans fall for the marketing even worse than Americans do.

So the OP is wrong to single out Americans. In fact, the ROW is even worse.

Btw, it's an interesting thesis you have regd. American companies only being good at marketing. You do realize that most (if not all) big companies (including Apple) outsource their marketing and advertising to specialized marketing firms, right? I guess the non-American companies are just too stupid to hire those same amazing marketing firms as the Americans do.
    03-30-12 08:25 AM
    Carlin said what you just said...but only better.

Thanks for this video...this thread definitely needs it.

My favorite Carlin quote from the video is "illusion of choice"
    saint613 likes this.
    03-30-12 08:31 AM
    Good point on the marketing companies, however Apple has a history of not allowing any company that does work for them or hopes to do work with them (even if the product has nothing to do with their product lines) from doing business with other companies. Steve Jobs even restricted a plastics manufacturer from making housings for Woz's universal remote control company. A non compete clause is normal but it gets taken to the extreme in some cases. Would I bite the hand that feeds me? no! If apple was my only client I would be happy. But the competition will be at a disadvantage.

As 4g, Austrailia is one of the impacted countries and they are the global leader in launching new wireless technologies, but the customer base wasn't big enough for Apple to care. What bugged me was they didn't change their marketing untill after the complaints to tell people the ipad would not work on 4g. Theory: the markeing went like this, x number will be sold without changing any ads, y number of consumers will complain and return the device x-y=a, money made off "a" will justify the small corrections in advertising and this strategy will get greater sales than letting the information out first.

Alright, let's agree with your thesis that the ONLY thing American companies do well is marketing.

But as you clearly state, the entire world falls for that marketing, and in fact, since the "new iPad" doesn't even give non-Americans true 4G (never mind that is because the carriers in those nations have not invested in widespread 4G rather than in anyways being Apple's fault) it seems that non-Americans fall for the marketing even worse than Americans do.

So the OP is wrong to single out Americans. In fact, the ROW is even worse.

Btw, it's an interesting thesis you have regd. American companies only being good at marketing. You do realize that most (if not all) big companies (including Apple) outsource their marketing and advertising to specialized marketing firms, right? I guess the non-American companies are just too stupid to hire those same amazing marketing firms as the Americans do.
    03-30-12 09:40 AM
    OP is delusional if he thinks that it's only an American phenomenon that iPhone and Android phones are popular. It's the same situation in most of the world. The smartphone market is split between Android and iPhone in Europe... Russia... China, Japan and much of Asia...
    03-30-12 09:45 AM
82 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD