Perhaps if moderators would step in around here like the moderators did over at nikonians.org a few years ago when Canon-Nikon rivalry stuff was becoming prominent, this would be a more productive environment for all. .
    All it takes is clicking on the little red triangle. All anyone has to do is report.

Since they are not willing to do that, I reserve my right to tell people when they are embarrassing everyone who owns any RIM device.

I don't take anyone's actions onto myself. No one embarrases me except me. And you don't need to take any action on my behalf.

And I reserve the right to point out arrogant vigilantism when I see it.
    03-29-12 12:41 PM
    Good post. I only rolled my eyes when I heard a Kardashian was coming to the dallas metroplex bc of her husband playing for the Mavs. Once she got here, the huge lines for book signings started and she even got her own radio show. There really is no explanation for that kind of popularity of what, being rich? I don't get it.

Goes to show that all you need is good PR.
    03-29-12 12:56 PM
    To anyone who doesn't believe in the power of advertising or what's popular....

Every had a Big Mac? Knowing what's in it...the calories, the fat, the sheer volume of unhealthy sins....but boy, you see that picture on that display and your mouth salivates.

Another...who would ever buy a rock? Yet.....remember Pet Rocks?

Advertising and fads do influence buying habits. Americans first, it seems.

That said - do *not* discount the sheer simple bliss of an iPhone. Silky OS, gorgeous display, easy to use. Just because I *prefer* BB doesn't mean that I'm blind to the beauty of the device. And who am I to judge those who buy it? After using one for two weeks, I understand the allure.

This time, I'm seeing it for itself. Not as a comparison to my BBerries. Just as a standalone device. And as such, it's beautiful, works beautifully, and it is ridiculously easy to use. It has a place.

My Skyrocket? When I want to tweak the living daylights out of a phone, and I'm keen on spending loads of time playing with it, nothing beats it.

Different strokes, folks. In my old age and gaining wisdom, I'm seeing that what's good for one person isn't good for another. No conspiracy theories needed. No cults. No rhetoric. No sheepies. No robots.

Do not discount the "sheer simple bliss of an iPhone" and in your old age you prefer BlackBerry...Oh okay
    03-29-12 01:36 PM

Do not discount the "sheer simple bliss of an iPhone" and in your old age you prefer BlackBerry...Oh okay
    Before you fall down rolling your eyes too much....I have preferred BB since I bought my 8310 back in 2007. I have owned every device offered at At&T. I currently own four BB7 devices. And I will buy the first BB10 I can get my hands on.

That does not mean that I don't appreciate a beautifully built device that works beautifully. Preferring one and appreciating the other are *not* mutually exclusive.

And THAT realisation is evidence of wisdom. Otherwise it's blind allegiance akin to ignorant fanboism.
    03-29-12 01:49 PM
    To anyone who doesn't believe in the power of advertising or what's popular....

Advertising and fads do influence buying habits. Americans first, it seems.

Different strokes, folks. In my old age and gaining wisdom, I'm seeing that what's good for one person isn't good for another. No conspiracy theories needed. No cults. No rhetoric. No sheepies. No robots.

Exactly what I mean...seems that here in America we are much more interested in "fad"....and what phone you use is no exception.
    03-29-12 01:50 PM
    Before you fall down rolling your eyes too much....I have preferred BB since I bought my 8310 back in 2007. I have owned every device offered at At&T. I currently own four BB7 devices. And I will buy the first BB10 I can get my hands on.

That does not mean that I don't appreciate a beautifully built device that works beautifully. Preferring one and appreciating the other are *not* mutually exclusive.

And THAT realisation is evidence of wisdom. Otherwise it's blind allegiance akin to ignorant fanboism.

Roll my eyes...big time

Is there some reason you can't simply say you like the iPhone and you can see why it's hot right now

After "the sheer bliss of the iPhone" why do you still prefer BlackBerry
    03-29-12 02:01 PM
    Exactly what I mean...seems that here in America we are much more interested in "fad"....and what phone you use is no exception.
    No, you are not quoting my entire statement.

Yes, advertising influences fads.

That said, undeniably, the iPhone appeals to a h3ll of a lot of users because it matches their needs. I am enjoying using mine. A LOT.

Would I leave my. BB for one? H3LL NO! BUT it works beautifully.
    Shekeese likes this.
    03-29-12 02:02 PM
    Roll my eyes...big time

Is there some reason you can't simply say you like the iPhone and you can see why it's hot right now

After "the sheer bliss of the iPhone" why do you still prefer BlackBerry
    Why must I discount one in favor of the other?

I LIKE the iPhone.

I LOVE my BBerries.

I use each as the mood strikes. I am NOT married to either.

It's called an open mind. Try it.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    03-29-12 02:05 PM

I LIKE the iPhone.

I LOVE my BBerries.

Careful. If you don't have a BB tattoo and a notarized letter of allegiance they get upset.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    03-29-12 02:09 PM
    I honestly don't care what phone someone uses. I have friends that are on almost all the major platforms, and some using feature-phones and I don't look at them any differently.

That being said, marketing is key. If the commercial doesn't make you want it already, at least it might make you go to the store to check it out.

BlackBerry is still cool. People still love their BBs. More people just happen to like Android and iPhones better. The people who want and can afford a BB have a BB. I have seen people walk straight into a Verizon store while I was shopping only to walk to the BB section to buy a BB. I have also seen people who go and check out the BBs and then walk away buying something else. This has been my experience when going to the Verizon store over the past few years.

Maybe these devices are "trendy" and part of a "fad" but it doesn't matter. I am sure there are more people using these devices because they actually like them and not just because they are cool. The majority of the world is not in High School. Do not forget the days when BlackBerry was the fad. If the US was gobbling up BBs right now it would not be because it is a fad, it would be because everyone just really likes BBs and because they are so good, right?
    03-29-12 02:12 PM
    I won't be bashfull, in general Americans are dumb consumers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 02:13 PM
    Yep. It has absolutely nothing to do with people selecting the phone that works for them. It has to do with keeping up with the Joneses.
    03-29-12 02:15 PM
    I won't be bashfull, in general Americans are dumb consumers.

Good point. Rumor has it some of them can't even spell "bashful."
    03-29-12 02:18 PM

I LIKE the iPhone.

I LOVE my BBerries.

No, my question is simply why do you prefer BB...you know BB well and now you have firsthand experience with the iPhone...why do you prefer BB...many posters in this forum are constantly saying BB phones are "way behind"
    03-29-12 02:24 PM
    No, my question is simply why do you prefer BB...you know BB well and now you have firsthand experience with the iPhone...why do you prefer BB...many posters in this forum are constantly saying BB phones are "way behind"
    I'm not on a race with specs, I use what appeals to me at any point in time.

My preferences for BB:

1. BBM
    2. Profiles
    3. Notifications - to include the little LED
    4. SECURITY
    5. Themes
    6. The best keyboard in the industry

Off the top of my head....without thought or filters...
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-29-12 02:29 PM
    These threads are starting to get real boring... I for one am going to stop reading them....

You can anayze the market to death and to what end... People buy any product for three reasons...

1) cool factor
    2) usablility
    3) price

not necessaily in at order... Why something is popular is acedemic... It runs in cycles... what is popular now could be gone in two years... so why bother wondering what might be...

My last point is that only one company can be number one.. Yes it is important to compete to be number one but first and formost in any business is to be profitable.... intovate and market..... RIM has the first but tends to be clueless currently on the latter two currently... If BB10 is marginally succussful... then RIM has done what any busness should.... be successful...

Some members in all forums need ot look in the mirror and ask why they have so much energy invested in "defending" their choices in cell or tablets... Why not enjoy what you have with an eye to the future... that is what generates excitement.... not the constant Blah... Blah.... Blah.... that "this is better and why"....

Bye bye to this kind of post for me....
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-29-12 02:38 PM
    I'm not on a race with specs, I use what appeals to me at any point in time.

My preferences for BB:

1. BBM
    2. Profiles
    3. Notifications - to include the little LED
    4. SECURITY
    5. Themes
    6. The best keyboard in the industry

Off the top of my head....without thought or filters...

Are there any features/functions where they basically do the same thing...same difference ...i.e. If a consumer was looking for these features/functions then either phone will do

Is call quality and reception better on a BlackBerry...
    03-29-12 02:40 PM
    It's not a rumor

03-29-12 02:46 PM
    Some members in all forums need ot look in the mirror and ask why they have so much energy invested in "defending" their choices in cell or tablets... Why not enjoy what you have with an eye to the future... that is what generates excitement.... not the constant Blah... Blah.... Blah.... that "this is better and why"....
    Lots of people need to justify things, where the happy few picked and liked what they got. There is also those that get burned by a product, usually they cant shut up about it either.

I am part of the happy 'I dont care' what the other vendors are doing group. My 9930 does what I want it to do.
    03-29-12 02:50 PM
    Lets leave the political views out of this please! Yes some posts are gone.
    03-29-12 03:00 PM
    Are there any features/functions where they basically do the same thing...same difference ...i.e. If a consumer was looking for these features/functions then either phone will do

Is call quality and reception better on a BlackBerry...
    Mail delivery is instant on both devices. I know there are loads of stories about delays in BBerry delivery and also on iPhone. If I send an email from my work desktop this instant it will hit at exactly the same moment in my iPhone as in my BB.

Other than that, each has subtle differences. The ease of use on an iPhone is amazing. But the customisation on a BB is loads better.

Also, I currently also have a Skyrocket. Of the three, I like that one the least, but it offers ridiculous amounts of customisation.

Call quality - AT&T's iPhone over VZW's BBerries. That might be a function of reception where I live. It also was markedly different between AT&T's Skyrocket and VZW's 9930/9370. For me, where I live, AT&T's call quality is loads better.

When I travel, depending on where I go, the answer to that varies. Example, in the CA high desert the VZW 9930 trumps anything with AT&T. So that's more a function of the carrier than the phone, in my observation.

As far as media - no contest. iPhone wins.

BUT - I prefer BB's no nonsense approach to keeping me in check with my day and to communicate with loved ones, most of whom are on my BBM contact list.

See, for me I use the device I happen to have a hankerin' for on any given day. That said, a BB never leaves my purse or my pocket. It is my lifeline, primarily because of BBM and my contacts are across the pond.
    03-29-12 03:04 PM
    So now Shekeese, where did you go during all of your travels that allows you to offer up this opinion of yours?
    Last edited by stockmetadata; 03-29-12 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Original posting of mine needed to ask a better question.
    03-29-12 03:33 PM

Its really sad when you think about it, but we live in a country that is run by a sheep herding mentality...and unfortunately it affects everything from what you eat, watch, wear, listen to...and yes....even the phone that you buy.
    Carlin said what you just said...but only better.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_wjQtfhZQ[/YT]
    03-29-12 08:06 PM
    Leading the world? American companies are bullying the world into drinking from the same Stepford trough, apple convinced the world to buy an amazing 4g tablet that doesn't work on 4g unless it's in north america?!?! An iPhone with an "s" on the end is revolutionary??!?! I bleed GM and always will, but only the classic cars because everthing new is crap compared to European manufacturing standards, but we've been brainwashed to believe in the big 3. The masses are convinced fine dining is Applebees and Starbucks makes good coffee lmao!! The ONLY thing revolutionary about north america is marketing. Take and slap a "in" brand on it and the lemmings will roll off the cliff to get it. I will give Apple and others credit, they are making crap loads of money because they didn't bend over to the unions and manufacture with overpaid labor in north america, they went strait to China and exploited some good old slave labor the American way!!! Almost forgot quality American TV, put on your best Nascar shirt and pull up to the trough American Hoggers and Shipping Wars is on!! Rant over

The only reason America is Android/iOS only, and the rest of the world isn't, is because America is leading the smartphone revolution this time, as opposed to being behind the world in mobile (like they were for the past 15 years). It is only a matter of time before the rest of the world is like the US, and Android/iOS dominate.

1 difference that you do point out, however, is accurate, and that is the effect of Nokia. Nokia was never able to break into the US market, but still has a huge legacy base outside the US, which is why you see a lower concentration of Android/iOS phones.

Look at the Table on Pageviews at this location:
    Global mobile statistics 2012: all quality mobile marketing research, mobile Web stats, subscribers, ad revenue, usage, trends

iOS/Android are 1/2 in North America, Europe, and Oceana. Not coincidentally, these are also the areas with the people with the highest per-capita income in the world (which, again, explains why BB is #3 here, while not even making the top 3 in the other areas). As the world gets richer, and smartphones get cheaper, iOS/Android will dominate elsewhere also.

Note: I am stating this scenario ignoring BB10...BB10 should change things dramatically, but if it does, you will see the effects first in the US. Also, BB10, if it is good out of the gate, has a huge chance of capturing a large proportion of the market that is upgrading from current feature-phones to smartphones.
    Last edited by saint613; 03-29-12 at 09:25 PM.
    03-29-12 09:16 PM
    Nothing can be HOT without first being GOOD, America or elsewhere.
    Simple as that. Nothing so complicated.
    03-29-12 11:21 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD