It is also quite surreal to hear criticism of peoples' supposed blind allegiance to products and brands when the comments are coming from RIM cultists who demonstrate about as much blind allegiance as is humanly possible....
    03-28-12 11:56 AM
    It is also quite surreal to hear criticism of peoples' supposed blind allegiance to products and brands when the comments are coming from RIM cultists who demonstrate about as much blind allegiance as is humanly possible....
    Umm, read my post again. I have tried iPhones and Androids. My allegiance isn't blind. I am not a "RIM cultist".. I'm not saying iPhones/Androids aren't good devices. Most people don't really research before going out and getting a new mobile phone, and a lot just go with a new iPhone because its what everyone else has, or its what the sales rep is pushing.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-28-12 12:06 PM
    Umm, read my post again. I have tried iPhones and Androids. My allegiance isn't blind. I am not a "RIM cultist".. I'm not saying iPhones/Androids aren't good devices. Most people don't really research before going out and getting a new mobile phone, and a lot just go with a new iPhone because its what everyone else has, or its what the sales rep is pushing.
    How do you know what other people have researched? How do you know what they need? What evidence do you have that would suggest that these people did not but the phone that they felt suited their needs best?

Seeing how iPhone has the highest satisfaction rating out of all smartphones, maybe these blind sheep knows what works for them better than you do.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    03-28-12 12:18 PM
    The average consumer doesn't research much before making purchases. I've been in electronic stores where the rep is pushing Apple because its their personal preference, and don't listen to what the customer is looking for (personal experience). And saying that the "sheep" might know what's best is dumb.. I'm not saying that Apple fans are in the wrong or have been misinformed, I don't consider those people as "sheep". Informed Apple fans that make educated decisions is one thing, and people blindly buying a product because its popular is another. People should decide what's right for them personally and not worry about what other people have. You have catagorized them ALL as "sheep" which is NOT the case. All I mean to say is that consumers GENERALLY buy whatever is presented to them first, and in first world countries its iPhones, Androids, and then BlackBerry.
    Shekeese likes this.
    03-28-12 12:33 PM
    Umm, read my post again. I have tried iPhones and Androids. My allegiance isn't blind. I am not a "RIM cultist"..
    If his post didn't apply to you, why bother responding, especially since he didn't quote you?
    03-28-12 12:37 PM
    I read articles and forums in dedicated iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows sites. I like to research and see what other platforms are offering and to just stay current on what technology is available or will become available. It never ceases to amaze me just how 'crazed' we have become about technology and cell phones...lol!!! At the end of the day, they are just PHONES that can do cool extra stuff . I believe that it is important for people to thoroughly research what phone and carrier is best for them. Unfortunately, not many people do this and are sometimes stuck with a phone and carrier they dislike for 2+ years. BlackBerrys, iPhones, Androids, Windows, etc. are not going to be the 'right' phone for everyone. However, I do find it very interesting that on the forums and sites I go to...that the BlackBerry sites tend to have those from other platform devices smashing RIM pretty vehemently....I think we as a nation and a world have begun to make the unimportant things important and wants have become needs. All this to say, choose whatever platform and device makes YOU happy and just because someone chooses a platform or device that is different than what you would have chosen, doesn't mean that they made the wrong choice or are sheep, etc.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-28-12 12:40 PM
    xqzu - I just wanted to add...that if you look at the specs from the latest WindowsPhone, or BB9900 or any OTHER current phone besides iphone or Droid...it's basically the same specs.

But my point is...right now...in America...it doesnt matter if the 9900 has the same clock speeds as a 4Gs or that Windows Phone is more responsive than Droid....and it wont matter...because it's not HOT in America.
    You are preaching to the choir here buddy...

I have owned since last September a number of phones:
    9930, iPhone 4, currently on the Nokia 710. While they all may have the same specs, I agree and actually the iPhone 4 while touted as being a 1gz phone, is only actually an 800 Mhz phone. The iPhone 4 with it's "sub par" processor still runs circles around the 9930. I love my 9930, but if I want to get work done I just could not see myself working from that device. Heaven forbid you have to reboot the phone for whatever reason, say uninstall an app. Reboot time. Ten minutes later. Seriously? So my iPhone is still used for business. My Nokia 710 is something I wanted to try out as I had not tried Windows OS since 6.5 and got the phone dirt cheap off contract. I'm a geek at heart.

To claim that the current BBs are right there with the other phones, well it's just silly. They are not. Forget the apps, let's focus just on the bare bones: Android, iOS and even the "new" Windows Phones are at least a good 5 years ahead of RIM. You can do more with any of the other phones out of the box than you can with any RIM device.

I will agree that in America we like to spend money and that we like to have the latest greatest. We are country founded on innovation and we don't like to sit around and wait what others are going to push down our way. If RIM cannot keep up, they only have their leaders to thank for that. It has nothing to do with the employees that work there. They were once great and I am hoping that with BB10 (I hate that name btw) devices that they will sway more of us to them, again. Why? Because we are Americans and we like innovation not stagnation. We leave the stagnation for our politicians, but that is another subject on a different forum.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-28-12 01:30 PM
    If his post didn't apply to you, why bother responding, especially since he didn't quote you?
    Oh, I didn't realize they needed to quote me in order for it to apply to me. (Sarcasm). This is a forum site, in case you didn't realize. A place where people sometimes put up their opinions, and respond to other people's opinions, whether or not said opinion was directed at anyone in the first place. AND this is (or at least WAS) a BlackBerry FAN site and it seems like there is more BlackBerry bashing going on here, than appreciating.
    luna9698 likes this.
    03-28-12 01:50 PM
    I'm always amazed at the closed nature of our culture here in North America, we still think "our" world and way of living is the preferred method. I've had the pleasure to live outside the US for 8 years, and will be leaving in 2 weeks for another expatriate stay. iPhone and Android are growing by leaps and bounds, but Blackberry is actually very strong in developing countries. iPhone and android are very expensive off our shores, Blackberry expensive too, but 2nd hand sets are all over Mexico, Central and South America.

Think about all the developers, blog writers, and others that receive their income from pushing everything but RIM. They get invited to all the cool conferences paid for by their bosses, get cool devices to play with for free, and other perks. What incentive do they have to play withRIM???

I will continue to buy, cheer , and root for Blackberry, as it's a product that works for me and can travel with me all over the world
    03-28-12 02:03 PM
    Didn't I read an article recently that said Apple has higher share in Canada now than RIM?

I guess only in America means only in North America.
    03-28-12 02:19 PM
    Saying iPhones and Android phones are not very popular in other countries is not true. They would be like #1 choice of young ppl if they can afford one. But in many countries ppl can't afford the lifestyle of "buy now - pay off tomorrow", they have to buy the phones outright. So if ppl in America see an iPhone or a high-end Android phone as 200$, in other countries ppl have to face them as something that costs 600+$. It makes a huge difference.

#2nd reason: the iPhone along with the iPad give young ppl a new life feeling: being in public as someone who is in the hip, social, modern, creative, elite group. It's all advertised in American TV series, movies and shows. Maybe I am wrong but from what I see is that the most wanted items of young asians are: Louis Vuitton purse, iPhone and iPad.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    03-28-12 03:21 PM
    Yes, everyone wants Apple products. I'm just pointing out that the reasons they want them are not always well thought out. They see it as a status symbol more than a device in which the original purpose was communication. Maybe that's why there's the "Tool, not a Toy" campaign. RIM hasn't lost sight of what these devices were originally intended for. Like I said before, its first world mentality and Apple has taken advantage of how short its attention span is. Its a mentality that is easily influenced by the bombardment of ads. After playing mind-numbing iGames I guess its not surprising how simple it was for them to grab the first world by the balls. Not all Apple fans are Kool-Aid drinkers but the ones that hang around a BlackBerry fan site certainly seem to be.
    03-28-12 03:41 PM
    What a new low for BB fanboys. This is arguably the most pathetic explanation for why RIM is getting smoked by Apple and Google.

Let me know when RIM comes out with a competitive product. I've never heard of a subpar product capturing the public's attention and wallets.

It was only a few years ago when most people I knew had BB's over iPhones and Android phones. I guess they were mindless sheep back then - who later discovered something better.
    03-28-12 03:58 PM
    Yes Just drink the kool-aid, and enjoy your shiny toy. It will all be better soon.

I'm done with this thread. Arguing on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Win or lose, you're still ********.
    berrydroidapple and bigbmc26 like this.
    03-28-12 04:11 PM
    I have recently had a chance to do a lot of traveling which has opened me up to a lot of foreign tv, media and advertising...and there is something that I have noticed that has rubbed me the wrong way...

Only in America are people Android and iPhone crazy.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize it until I got BACK in America.

Sure there are advertisements for iphone and Androids...but there are Nokia ads and BB ads...I honestly a ton of phones and phone companies that I have never heard of. I honestly didn't even pay it much attention UNTIL I got back in the states.

Suddenly I started to notice EVERYTHING was advertising Android and iPhone. Every commercial offering "iphone and Android" app options...every news show advertising their "iPhone and Android" apps, every other magazine ad...end of a TV show...even at the doctor's office.

I JUST heard it on a commercial before I started typing this on my 9900, which spawned this post. The guy at the end of the short vignette on heart health quickly advised viewers to check out their "iPhone or Android" app before he closed.

I mumbled under my breath, "you would think the only 2 phones in this country are Android and iPhone"...

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks...

The iPhone/Android success has less to do with how good the phones are and much more to do with some sort of American need to "claim" Americans know what's best. And apparently whatever is hot is the best. It matters not what is good...or even what is ACTUALLY best for you...just what's HOT right now.

It holds true with about anything in this country...food, music, news...etc. Nowhere else I've been is everyone talking about Kim Kardashian or even Trayvon Martin...or is Nicki Minaj or Katy Perry songs the biggest hits...or iPhone or Android the only 2 phone options...honestly...there isn't even a constant Mac vs PC argument...because there are so many other options...

This country has placed BB, at a disadvantage I honestly don't think the latest features, fastest software or groundbreaking hardware can fix...

In order for people, in America mind you, to realize that BB is a viable option...is it has to be HOT. If its not perceived as HOT, FRESH or NEW...then it suffers the same fate of every other better but not HOT entity in this country.

Its really sad when you think about it, but we live in a country that is run by a sheep herding mentality...and unfortunately it affects everything from what you eat, watch, wear, listen to...and yes....even the phone that you buy.
    Cool beans bro! Yeah the U.S of A sucks...

Safe flight back to Oz... Or whatever Utopia you were BBM'ing from...

Let's us know where you're staying and we promise not to send the Marines when it gets hot...

"My country 'tis of thee... Sweet land of liberty..."

Don't like that one...?

"Oh say can you see..."

No...?

Well you gotta love this one...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America..."

That one's a classic...

Kick rocks dude...

Mr. or Ms. Moderator I'll gladly take the points...
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-29-12 at 02:55 PM.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    03-28-12 05:28 PM
    Yes, this is the only reason anyone would buy anything that is not made by rim. Wow. You finally nailed it.

Or.........

It could be that when I switched to android, that I just wanted a phone that didn't take 10 minutes to reboot after every battery pull or random freeze. Which were frequent occurrences throughout the day.

It could have been that I wanted a phone that had a browser that was functional and fast. A browser that was actually useful on the go.

It could have been that I wanted a phone that did not display an hour glass every time I woke it.

It could be that if such a phone had been offered by rim, I would still be a customer theirs. My business was theirs to lose. I skipped TWO upgrades waiting for them to make their products competitive.

I'm not a blind fan of any particular company. Whichever one works the hardest for my money gets it.

You described a current OS7 phone
    03-28-12 06:11 PM
    I read articles and forums in dedicated iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows sites. I like to research and see what other platforms are offering and to just stay current on what technology is available or will become available. It never ceases to amaze me just how 'crazed' we have become about technology and cell phones...lol!!! At the end of the day, they are just PHONES that can do cool extra stuff . I believe that it is important for people to thoroughly research what phone and carrier is best for them. Unfortunately, not many people do this and are sometimes stuck with a phone and carrier they dislike for 2+ years. BlackBerrys, iPhones, Androids, Windows, etc. are not going to be the 'right' phone for everyone. However, I do find it very interesting that on the forums and sites I go to...that the BlackBerry sites tend to have those from other platform devices smashing RIM pretty vehemently....I think we as a nation and a world have begun to make the unimportant things important and wants have become needs. All this to say, choose whatever platform and device makes YOU happy and just because someone chooses a platform or device that is different than what you would have chosen, doesn't mean that they made the wrong choice or are sheep, etc.

Yes, and this thread offers some proof of that
    03-28-12 06:17 PM
    Swyost hit the nail on the head. All this thread is, is another conspricy theory. This country isn't doing a disservice to RIM, they are doing it to THEMSELVES!

You're meaning to tell me that because blackberry commercials don't air that its this country's fault?? What!? That's RIM's fault! You can't sit there and blame the competition for having commercials, then blame people for buying those products. If thats the sole reason why the competition is pushing numbers & RIM hasn't realized that, then how is that the fault of this country's infrastructure again?? Network providers don't give a damn about any platform, nor does any level of the legal system. YOU PAY FOR COMMERCIAL TIME; COMMERCIAL AIRS. That's that.

Its RIM's fault for being cheap/unaware/inadequate or what have you. But its pure conspiracy to say that this country is taking sides in the fashion your assuming. Lets be real and call it what it is: RIM is incompetent! There I said it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-28-12 07:39 PM
    Oh, I didn't realize they needed to quote me in order for it to apply to me. (Sarcasm). This is a forum site, in case you didn't realize. A place where people sometimes put up their opinions, and respond to other people's opinions, whether or not said opinion was directed at anyone in the first place. AND this is (or at least WAS) a BlackBerry FAN site and it seems like there is more BlackBerry bashing going on here, than appreciating.
    Nothing wrong with being a BlackBerry fan, but for someone who claims he/she doesn't fall into the group the commenter described you seemed awfully quick to tell the commenter how wrong he was in his description. As the old saying goes. . .

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm done with this thread. Arguing on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics.
    It's a little early to be sharing your summer plans.
    03-28-12 07:39 PM
    If people on this site would get off their perpetual bashing of everyone and everything that is not RIM, and stop blaming the world for RIM's problems, some of us would not feel the need to respond. Talk about RIM products; discuss how they can be made better; help each other out with problems. That is all great but it is often the exception around here. This site now spends much of its bandwidth complaining about iPhones, iPads, etc., etc.. It has also now taken the really embarrassing conspiracy garbage and elevated beyond companies (bad enough) to entire countries.

Perhaps if moderators would step in around here like the moderators did over at nikonians.org a few years ago when Canon-Nikon rivalry stuff was becoming prominent, this would be a more productive environment for all. Since they are not willing to do that, I reserve my right to tell people when they are embarrassing everyone who owns any RIM device.
    03-28-12 08:09 PM
    Ummm...I think there are a few people in here with common sense that are willing to discuss a topic...the rest of you are...I guess....having a good time? I'm not sure...but...to each his own.

Again, I'll say...this wasnt a woe-is-RIM or bashing of Android or iPhone or even looking for excuses...just an astute observation of how, in America...I noticed...that people will go with what's hot over whats good or better...and I noticed that applies to phones as well.

If it wasn't an accurate description...then why the constant mention of only Android and iPhone? Are those the only two phones out? Are those the only two phone carriers with apps? Apparently, in America, they are the only 2 phones that matter...everything else is...cheap, or old or out of style...etc, etc...

With THAT said..I would like to point THIS out -

Can't remember the posters name...but he posted this -

"To claim that the current BBs are right there with the other phones, well it's just silly. They are not. Forget the apps, let's focus just on the bare bones: Android, iOS and even the "new" Windows Phones are at least a good 5 years ahead of RIM. You can do more with any of the other phones out of the box than you can with any RIM device."

It really just...this is that mentality that Republicans practice. "If I say it often enough, and bold enough, regardless of the truth...not only will others believe it but I will also believe it."

To not derail the argument...if you'd like to compare specs, all of that information is readily accessible....no need to turn this thread into a spec debate. You can send me a personal message if you need that information.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-29-12 08:14 AM

"To claim that the current BBs are right there with the other phones, well it's just silly. They are not. Forget the apps, let's focus just on the bare bones: Android, iOS and even the "new" Windows Phones are at least a good 5 years ahead of RIM. You can do more with any of the other phones out of the box than you can with any RIM device."

It really just...this is that mentality that Republicans practice. "If I say it often enough, and bold enough, regardless of the truth...not only will others believe it but I will also believe it."

Considering your op, this comment shouldn't be surprising, however, using it to try to bolster your argument that bb has not fallen behind is just weak.
    03-29-12 09:36 AM
    Thanks hootyhoo...but it was just something I wanted to point out...had nothing to do with my opinion piece.
    03-29-12 10:16 AM
    Ummm...I think there are a few people in here with common sense that are willing to discuss a topic...the rest of you are...I guess....having a good time? I'm not sure...but...to each his own.

Again, I'll say...this wasnt a woe-is-RIM or bashing of Android or iPhone or even looking for excuses...just an astute observation of how, in America...I noticed...that people will go with what's hot over whats good or better...and I noticed that applies to phones as well.

If it wasn't an accurate description...then why the constant mention of only Android and iPhone? Are those the only two phones out? Are those the only two phone carriers with apps? Apparently, in America, they are the only 2 phones that matter...everything else is...cheap, or old or out of style...etc, etc...

To not derail the argument...if you'd like to compare specs, all of that information is readily accessible....no need to turn this thread into a spec debate. You can send me a personal message if you need that information.

You're definitely correct, the statement "BB phones are 5 years behind is pure troll nonsense"...the 9810 phone I have is great for my needs, it is a smart product...I don't use Netflix and Skype so the iPhone, android, and Windows don't offer anything new

And you're correct again when you say some posters are trying to "say it often enough, and bold enough"
    03-29-12 11:25 AM
    To anyone who doesn't believe in the power of advertising or what's popular....

Every had a Big Mac? Knowing what's in it...the calories, the fat, the sheer volume of unhealthy sins....but boy, you see that picture on that display and your mouth salivates.

Another...who would ever buy a rock? Yet.....remember Pet Rocks?

Advertising and fads do influence buying habits. Americans first, it seems.

That said - do *not* discount the sheer simple bliss of an iPhone. Silky OS, gorgeous display, easy to use. Just because I *prefer* BB doesn't mean that I'm blind to the beauty of the device. And who am I to judge those who buy it? After using one for two weeks, I understand the allure.

This time, I'm seeing it for itself. Not as a comparison to my BBerries. Just as a standalone device. And as such, it's beautiful, works beautifully, and it is ridiculously easy to use. It has a place.

My Skyrocket? When I want to tweak the living daylights out of a phone, and I'm keen on spending loads of time playing with it, nothing beats it.

Different strokes, folks. In my old age and gaining wisdom, I'm seeing that what's good for one person isn't good for another. No conspiracy theories needed. No cults. No rhetoric. No sheepies. No robots.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-29-12 at 12:46 PM.
    03-29-12 12:33 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD