I'm a new member, but I've tried finding solution to this problem for the past week or so; but found nothing yet.
    Here's my issue, I have a BB 8900 (2 weeks old) without data plan. I can connect to my home network via Wifi -though the wifi logo is always grayed out. I can browse the internet without any problems. However, when I go to my friend's house, or any other place with a wifi router; I can't access the web.
    exact same settings in both my home network and my friend's network. In fact, at his home I get an IP address but I can't ping the default gateway.

I haven't been able to use any other wifi network other than my own.
    any ideas as to what to check?
    thanx
    10-11-09 01:49 PM
    If the wifi is greyed out then you are not connected to wifi.
    Watch out for a large bill.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 01:55 PM
    DD1968 is correct in that you're not connected if wifi is greyed out. You better start counting you're pennies!
    10-11-09 02:39 PM
    oh no! I should talk to AT&T at once then.
    10-11-09 03:03 PM
    oh no! I should talk to AT&T at once then.
    I've read some more info on this. Tell me, do you have the wifi router name at the top of your homescreen?
    Are you using the "hotspot browser" to surf??

10-12-09 03:18 AM
    Yes the wifi router name appears on the screen.
    Usually something like this:
    AT&T - 2WIRE164 (or whatever router I'm accessing).
    I've set up the browser as hotspot
    10-12-09 12:46 PM
    Yes the wifi router name appears on the screen.
    Usually something like this:
    AT&T - 2WIRE164 (or whatever router I'm accessing).
    I've set up the browser as hotspot
    I've read - and to be honest I don't know how true it is that if it is as yours is - wifi greyed out but router name displayed then you are able to surf the web on the hotspot browser but don't have access to BIS services over wifi. If the wifi logo is white and the router name displyed then you can surf AND have BIS services available over wifi.

10-12-09 12:56 PM
    so as far as you know, I shouldn't be getting charged for web access this way; right?
    10-12-09 01:33 PM
    so as far as you know, I shouldn't be getting charged for web access this way; right?
    If (and it's a big IF) what I read and posted above is correct...

10-12-09 01:53 PM
    My original question remains though, why can I browse via wifi in only one wireless network (my home)?
    I see other networks (when I'm visiting friends or family) and know their WEP keys, but I can't browse the internet on any network other than my own.

thanx
    10-17-09 04:08 PM
    I might be grasping at straws here, but since you didn't state it I'm going to ask you about this.

When you goto friends house you do scan for his access point then select it! and Then connect to it. Right? even if 2 routers have the same name like linksys and linksys the device know that there is a difference between them.

Each access point has to have it's own connection in the BB, and you have to select it connect to it and tell BB to automatically connect to it in the future.

You may already be doing this but I've learned NEVER to assume anything.

<grin>
    10-18-09 06:39 PM
    Yes Kniteman, I scan from wireless networks, select the correct one, entered the right web key, click on connect, ok. The router name appears on the home screen next to At&T (AT&T - 2wireXXX) get an IP address from the DHCP router, but can't ping the default gateway...thus no internet connectivity.
    10-18-09 07:23 PM
    any suggestions?
    10-25-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD