Most of the so-called apps in the istore are just links to websites anyway.
    I think you might have the app markets confused LOL.
    01-31-13 01:18 PM
    And what does that number refer to exactly? Since there were over 100000 wp7 apps that were there at launch and 100% compatible.

If we're only going to count native apps specifically designed for wp8 then it's only fair to do the same for BB10. By those metrics, WP8 outdoes BB10 5 to 1.
    and there are about 100000 apps for OS7 ..... my point is what is fair for one should apply to another. WP8 gets a fair shake, BB is crucified. What would an acceptable numbr at launch be?

This is lunacy, especially from anyone coming from the US, they can't even get their hands on the damn thing, and by the time they do there will probably be twice the amount of apps available!
    01-31-13 01:22 PM
    and there are about 100000 apps for OS7 ..... my point is what is fair for one should apply to another. WP8 gets a fair shake, BB is crucified. What would an acceptable numbr at launch be?

This is lunacy, especially from anyone coming from the US, they can't even get their hands on the damn thing, and by the time they do there will probably be twice the amount of apps available!
    Those 100k apps don't work on BB10. The 100k wp7 apps do work on wp8.
    01-31-13 01:25 PM
    It's clear the app issue is a dividing one. Some people will never get what apps can do, or won't need them, and that's okay.

I think there is a difference with regards to how RIM/BB and, say, Microsoft decided to try to solve the app problem. In my estimation, MS is trying to grind it out, shamelessly throwing money to get major titles. MS offered to completely cover the cost of development (I know this for a fact).

RIM spent cash too, but went for numbers, it seems. Based upon what some folks claimed they submitted for cash, there was bound to be quality complaints on this end.

Only heavens knows what Netflix is boxing them in for.

Here's the thing: you can have a million apps, but if you don't have the one someone wants, for that person, they are not enough. Simple. I've heard the SAME thing said of Android at times.
    01-31-13 01:27 PM
    Actually since we have waited about 2 years for this phone/OS the figures you give seem incorrect. You are acting like this happened overnight.

I've spent the time to look up the numbers. They're right based on cross referencing several sites, not wiki either.

I don't think developers were building apps for the past two years. They've probably been working on apps for about as long as the Dev Alpha A was released.....

I'm not advocating weather 70k apps is good or bad, I'm just trying to share some information that might put some perspective on the conversation. That's all......
    rottonj and Cesare21 like this.
    01-31-13 01:31 PM
    Another quick point... with regards to quality of apps.

Apple learned that if you create an alternative, it better come correct. The Maps debacle showed that even Apple cannot tiptoe around quality. Now, I have read some dismal reviews about the BlackBerry navigation solution. If those reviews hold true for regular customers, they'll be wondering why there are not enough apps, because, well, Google Navs is so much better.

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. If you're coming from an older BB, it may seem the world is unfair to RIM. For those on other platforms, the bar may be a bit higher.
    01-31-13 01:32 PM
    Quantity vs. Quality. I don't care, and I suspect most users feel the same, if there are a billion aps if the tools I need/want are not available. I'll probably never purchase more than a handful of relevant aps. Most are just useless padding to a number that is meaningless to most users. Quite frankly, the larger the quantity the more difficult it is to sift through the chaff finding the one, if it exists, that I need. YMMV.
    01-31-13 02:37 PM
32 12