Apparently there are some reviews saying that 70k apps is not good. I do not know a single person that has downloaded even close to that many in their entire life. There are also saying only 1k is native the rest are ports. Regardless 70k is a **** ton and shows a huge interest in a platform many said were dead.
    But this BS claims makes me ask How the **** would they have checked 70k apps. If they had the phone for an entire wk (that's unlikely) they would need to download, install, and test 7 apps a minute 24hrs a day 7 days a week. In that time these people also reviewed the phone itself? Bull **** they checked!

Sorry my rant is over.
    01-31-13 08:28 AM
    Its quite ironic, most reviewers complain that 70k is not a lot. But then also complain most of them are crap.

So what do you want tech world quality or quantity?

Either way Ive found most reviewers will tend to spew the hate regardless, unless the phone was stamped with a preexisting company's logo
    jthep and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-31-13 08:30 AM
    That's just ********. I mean yes, the number of apps does dictate how "famous" a device can be, but it certainly shouldn't be the make it or break it factor! Those people are idiots, honestly!
    arrodiii likes this.
    01-31-13 08:31 AM
    Yeah, 70,000 is nothing to sneeze at. But in the American market, people are brainwashed into having certain apps as standard. They will ask where is Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, Skype, etc. and the haters can reject the platform just on that, when in fact with the power of this OS, you have one serious browser and alternatives like logging onto the facebook website, native video conferencing, sites for movies/shows, etc.

RIM or excuse me, Blackberry really should try to get the major players on board. Or at the very least get the Android versions ported to their OS...
    austriker and BergerKing like this.
    01-31-13 08:35 AM
    Most reviews I have read are not complaining about the volume of apps, but rather the volume of garbage in the app world.
    There are only around 1000 native apps available. That means that about 1.5% of the apps available even have the ability to use the full potential of BB10.
    I knew there would be some crap due to the port-a-thons, but I had hoped that RIM BlackBerry's review process would weed out some of the junk.

But it is bad...really bad. Say all you want about the other app stores, they're full of crap too, but not in this ridiculous volume.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-31-13 08:45 AM
    A few small tid bits of information

Apple iPhone, in its first weekend sold a whopping 146,000 units (huge masses of people camped out in front of Apple stores)

Apple's App Store took a mere two years to hit a total 50,000 apps. (not on release, two years after the first iPhone release)

Just in case anybody was wondering.....
    Last edited by SixStringMadness; 01-31-13 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Grammar Error
    undone, laserx, Qaxl and 8 others like this.
    01-31-13 08:49 AM

Apple iPhone, in its first weekend sold a whopping 146,000 unit (masses of people camped out in front of Apple stores)

Apple's App Store took two a mere years to hit a total 50,000 apps. (not on release, two years after the first iPhone release)

This is 2013, no one is willing to wait four years for BlackBerry to get their act together.
    Qaxl, austriker, mikeo007 and 3 others like this.
    01-31-13 08:56 AM
    Yeah the iPhone launched in 2007, so if it took two years it was 2009 by the time it got to 50,000 apps. That was 4 years ago. Something encouraging though, if porting Android apps are easy to do to a BB10 device as I have read on these forums is it to do, any Android app developer should want their apps to be on BB10 also just to expand its potential consumer base. Also doing it sooner rather than later is advantageous too, bc an app can stand out a lot more if there are less alternatives on it on a newer platform...
    01-31-13 09:00 AM

Apple iPhone, in its first weekend sold a whopping 146,000 unit (masses of people camped out in front of Apple stores)

Apple's App Store took two a mere years to hit a total 50,000 apps. (not on release, two years after the first iPhone release)

Yeah, and automobiles didn't come with airbags for the first 70 years. Would you buy one today without one?
    fbf2012 likes this.
    01-31-13 09:05 AM
    I think it really boils down to a delicate balance of quality and quantity. If you have all of the quality apps that people want, then quantity shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, marketing folks have made quantity an issue. It shouldn't be, but it is. Blackberry needs to make sure they have all the quality apps people want and then try to shift the argument to quality over quantity. Who cares if an app store has over 500,000 apps? It just makes it harder to find the gems when you have to sift through that much rubbish.
    01-31-13 09:06 AM
    40% of blackberry 10's apps are simply wrapped android conversions. This comes from Martyn Mallick, BB's VP of global alliances and business development. There are also a good number of apps that simply re-direct to mobile websites. It takes time to develop a quality app store. However how long is that? Who knows, but BB can't afford to wait too long.
    01-31-13 09:07 AM
    Just be careful on what you read out there. There were Billions of Dollars traded in the last few days on their stock.
    The interest on the reviews is not on the merits of the phone but the position of their trade. Some of the ones I read were regurgitated from analyst from Ovum, Citi, and WSJ.
    which were written before launch. They were already negative without seeing the product.

Anyway, if it's truly a great phone which I believe it is, it will sell.
    01-31-13 09:29 AM
    The app thing was a huge part of android and apple marketing. Don't expect them to drop that line anytime soon. Its just a hollow promise, that more apps serve you better. I hope Blackberry doesn't jump on that bandwagon. Plenty of useful apps is plenty. Most of the so-called apps in the istore are just links to websites anyway. If Blackberry can capitalize on the fact that they are the top communication device, calls, texts,msm messaging, etc. that should be enough to retain current users and bring strayed ones back.
    01-31-13 09:41 AM

Are you under the impression that people these days are willing to wait another 2 years for BB10 to get somewhere good?
    01-31-13 09:48 AM
    BlackBerry has another 30 thousand or more waiting in the wings. BlackBerry is doing a slow and measured roll out to build momentum. Patience.
    01-31-13 09:50 AM
    This is 2013, no one is willing to wait four years for BlackBerry to get their act together.
    I wasn't presenting an argument. I was posing facts for the sake of posing them. (with some sarcasm it looks like people didn't get) (- a grammar error)

But for the sake of arguing; Two years after the iPhone was released the Apple Store to hit 50,000 apps (similar numbers for Android Market) BlackBerry 10, a whole new platform, is launching with 70,000 on day one. They have their act together. This is not a massaged upgrade of OS7, and App World just needs updates, its a whole new thing, at day one with many more apps than either Apple or Android had at their launch. To even think BlackBerry should launch a new OS with anywhere close to the apps of Apple or Android is absurd.

Yeah, and automobiles didn't come with airbags for the first 70 years. Would you buy one today without one?
    Wasn't the point I was making, and we're talking about a 5 year span, not 70 years.

Are you under the impression that people these days are willing to wait another 2 years for BB10 to get somewhere good?
    No, I am not. Blackberry World is on day one what Apple and Android took over two years to be.

So much for a little perspective

Cesare21 likes this.
    01-31-13 12:29 PM
    I wasn't presenting an argument. I was posing facts for the sake of posing them.

But for the sake of arguing; Two years after the iPhone was released the Apple Store to hit 50,000 apps (similar numbers for Android Market) BlackBerry 10, a whole new platform, is launching with 70,000 on day one. They have their act together. This is not a massaged upgrade of OS7, and App World just needs updates, its a whole new thing, at day one with many more apps than either Apple or Android had at their launch. To even think BlackBerry should launch a new OS with anywhere close to the apps of Apple or Android is absurd.

Wasn't the point I was making, and we're talking about a 5 year span, not 70 years.

No, I am not. Blackberry 10 is on day one what Apple and Android took over two years to be.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...gif?1324754276
    Really? Cuz it only took them 2 years to get to this point and it still needs a lot of perfecting. But I guess you guys will never see through your BlackBerry goggles.
    01-31-13 12:33 PM
    How many of those 70,000 apps are native and useful?

Answer me that good sir.
    01-31-13 12:34 PM
    I don't know how often such arguments go wild and off track. Please keep in mind this a new platform. It will take some time to grow and mature. B10 still launched with more apps than WP8 in their entire run of 2 years. And as for porting apps and why they could be junk, it should only be decided after using that app. If we full functionality of that ported app in the very least, that's all that should matter for now.
    01-31-13 12:40 PM
    Really? Cuz it only took them 2 years to get to this point and it still needs a lot of perfecting. But I guess you guys will never see through your BlackBerry goggles.
    How many of those 70,000 apps are native and useful?

Answer me that good sir.

Well you guys have fun with that.....

I'm not hear to have these silly arguments about BlackBerry Goggles, native vs ported, whatever.

I'm simply not here to fight about a darn phone........ I like it, you don't. I'll buy one, you won't, So we'll just carry on and go about our lives.....
    npisano, buwee and ibpluto like this.
    01-31-13 12:52 PM
    I'll be honest, I would be happy with 1000 top notch high quality apps. My experience with the Blackberry App world tells me when I hear 700,000+ apps is that there is a sh!tload of garbage to filter through to eventually get to the one you want....IF you get there.

My friends have Samsungs and Apples.... so when I fixin' of fatbooth or baldbooth or whatever pointless 'booth' that is new I get them to show me - then I'm good.

All the ones I want, I have. I have great apps for work, I have apps that control my HTPC etc.

Do I have an app that makes my wife fat and bald? No.... but her mother comes over from time to time so no need for that app....
    01-31-13 12:58 PM
    MS WP8 was launched with 5000 ...... apparently that was Ok thou

I guess there is no pleasing some folks
    01-31-13 01:03 PM

Apple iPhone, in its first weekend sold a whopping 146,000 units (huge masses of people camped out in front of Apple stores)

Apple's App Store took a mere two years to hit a total 50,000 apps. (not on release, two years after the first iPhone release)

Yes, and Windows Phone had about 5K on release. And you see them stroke it. Tech bloggers, if there was a bounty on them...
    01-31-13 01:04 PM
    MS WP8 was launched with 5000 ...... apparently that was Ok thou

I guess there is no pleasing some folks
    And what does that number refer to exactly? Since there were over 100000 wp7 apps that were there at launch and 100% compatible.

If we're only going to count native apps specifically designed for wp8 then it's only fair to do the same for BB10. By those metrics, WP8 outdoes BB10 5 to 1.
    01-31-13 01:09 PM
    I wasn't presenting an argument. I was posing facts for the sake of posing them. (with some sarcasm it looks like people didn't get) (- a grammar error)

No, I am not. Blackberry World is on day one what Apple and Android took over two years to be.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...gif?1324754276
    Actually since we have waited about 2 years for this phone/OS the figures you give seem incorrect. You are acting like this happened overnight.
    Edit: I dont mean to say 70000 apps isnt impressive, it is for sure. I'm not all about the apps anyway. I have plenty but use very few daily. I just meant since we waited so long they had time to get apps done thats all. Either way wont have it in the US for awhile so there will be even more when it arrives. Cheers
    Last edited by rottonj; 01-31-13 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added more
    01-31-13 01:16 PM
32 12