I've been a lurker here for about a month and finally registered as a member. I currently use VZW as my service provider and do not use, nor have I ever used a smartphone. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Curve and was wondering if i'd be able to conduct online banking and bill paying? I realize I'll probably have to download a 3rd party browser, but any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    06-14-08 03:35 PM
    Not sure why you think you would need a 3rd pary browser. My bank is whachovia and they have a mobile site that works fine with the bb browser. Wachovia also has apps for certain phones as well, but the also depend on your carrier. Check your banks website first to see what they support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 03:42 PM
    Yea, a lot of banks have mobile sites. Welcome to CrackBerry, and the Curve is an awesome phone!
    06-14-08 04:00 PM
    Not sure why you think you need a new browser???
    First, check to see if your bank has a mobile website.
    Some banks offer apps for specific phones, and specific carriers. I have wachovia, I log in to their mobile website with my bb curve using the normal browser.

06-14-08 04:02 PM
    You'll become quickly addicted to your BB regardless if your bank has a mobile site.

Trust us!

06-14-08 04:04 PM
    sorry for the multiple posts, I was using my BB browser and it was telling me it did not submit, so I clicked submit several times. my bad.
    06-14-08 04:36 PM
    I would prefer to use the Blackberry browser since you will have the benefit of Blackberry's 128 bit encryption. Use Opera-Mini and you are a),. outside the Blackberry network and b). almost certainly going though a proxy server and you probably don;t wan that with your personal finances.

As others have said, most banks now have apps for specific phones.
    06-14-08 04:53 PM
    I typically use the BofA app and the Wachovia Mobile Site through the BB browser to conduct my online banking...I *believe* that Wachovia has an app as well, but I haven't had the time to check it out. Since the apps work in conjunction with the bank itself, I assume that the encryptions and other safety methods hold up pretty well.
    06-14-08 06:16 PM
    You will be able to use the native Blackberry browser with no problem. If indeed an issue did arise that you couldn't log in to your bank's website or conduct bill pay and such on your Curve, that would be do to the bank's site - not the browser. For example :I use a credit union here in the Phoenix area and I cannot even log into my account from my phone, let alone pay my bills from it. This is simply due to the security on their website. Hope this helps.
    06-14-08 06:19 PM
    My banking and investment accounts use very sophisticated Java applets to manage the secure sign on process.

Works very well from my high security Vista, but not a chance of signing on from my Curve.
    06-14-08 06:32 PM
    i do most of my billing via computer, but if i need to am able to do it via my blackberry.
    it's very handy.
    my bank also has text where you can text and it will automatically text back with your balance.
    06-14-08 06:58 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I was really wanting the Bold to be my first smartphone, but I'd rather not wait a year until Verizon offers it, and I don't want to switch providers. From all I've been able to gather from this site, the Curve should suit me just fine.
    06-14-08 07:38 PM
    The Curve is fine...I use mine for moblie banking...my bank has a custom app that lets me connect securely without using the browser...works great!
    06-14-08 07:55 PM
    i bank with Wachovia and use their mobile web site. You can set it up to view what accts you want and and also what bills you want to pay via the BB, transfer $$ between accts is also available.
    06-15-08 02:40 AM
    Just my pennies here... My hometown bank here in BFE central Nebraska works just fine on my BB. If it is more complicated than what I am comfortable with using my mobile, I obviously need to go into the bank where I can flirt with the pretty teller anyway!
    Last edited by huskerberry; 06-15-08 at 07:02 AM. Reason: significant typo
    06-15-08 06:55 AM
    I use Bank of America. I downloaded the shortcut from one of the links that Chaz posted. I love having it right on the home screen.

06-15-08 07:41 AM
    I use Bank of america, and they will give you a free download for the WAP launcher. All i gotta do now is scroll on the red and blue flag logo icon, and im right there. Very secure as well...
    06-15-08 10:34 AM
    Does anyone have wells fargo? i can't log in to my account with them and i'm wondering if any one knows a way around this.
    thanks so much!
    06-20-08 04:57 PM
    Welcome to CB
    06-20-08 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD