If you had to use one word to describe RIM in any way (the hardware they put out, the OS, RAM, ROM, UI, their laziness, their innovation or whatever else regarding RIM and their products), what would it be and why?
    11-16-10 06:09 PM
    Money.

They make a lot of it and it's what they care about the most (as they damn well should).
    11-16-10 06:10 PM
    Antiquated.

There is no reason they can't gear a single product line a bit more to the non-business user who still wants the dependability and form factor of a BB. It's like IBM refusing to offer anything more modern than the typewriters they used to sell, simply because they are "business orientated".
    11-16-10 06:24 PM
    Exasperating.

For consumers, they seem to throw things out and hope we like it. Might be that if the carriers weren't involved things wouldn't be as bad. Undertaker hit it on the head though.
    11-16-10 07:17 PM
    Behind.

Basically because they are on most things even though they are ahead on some.
    11-16-10 07:21 PM
    Stasis

How else to describe a company that keeps repackaging the same phones, giving
    them small tweaks and calling them "new"
    11-16-10 07:23 PM
    Stasis

How else to describe a company that keeps repackaging the same phones, giving
    them small tweaks and calling them "new"
    That was enough right there for me to make the switch to Android. I was tired of the 'refreshes' and purchasing a device only to have it be replaced a by a model that it should have been in the first place...
    11-16-10 07:35 PM
    That was enough right there for me to make the switch to Android. I was tired of the 'refreshes' and purchasing a device only to have it be replaced a by a model that it should have been in the first place...
    Precisely the reason I switched to Android. Stasis is a good choice for RIM. Stagnation would be a other good one I think...
    11-16-10 07:54 PM
    Stalwart. Other fad devices come and go, but the RIM platform is tried and true.
    11-16-10 07:56 PM
    Waterloo'd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Reed McLay and Culex316 like this.
    11-17-10 12:39 AM
    Waterloo'd.

Are you comparing RIM to Napoleon? :P

As far as the whole one word....Stasis seems best still
    11-17-10 05:10 AM
    Push

Because they are still the best at it. Why have a big processor/latest/greatest etc phone if the 8707v I bought for �20 on ebay can get my work emails, no exchange/bes, just out of the box imap set up, can still get emails, im, facebook notifications faster?
    11-17-10 05:40 AM
    Slow...too slow in keeping up with the changing times. Memory/processors should be way better than they are now, O/S, Playbook, coming out AFTER Christmas, etc. When are they ever going to be leaders, or even good followers!
    11-17-10 07:07 AM
    Push

Because they are still the best at it. Why have a big processor/latest/greatest etc phone if the 8707v I bought for �20 on ebay can get my work emails, no exchange/bes, just out of the box imap set up, can still get emails, im, facebook notifications faster?
    Then why are you carrying a 9700?
    howarmat likes this.
    11-17-10 07:14 AM
    Then why are you carrying a 9700?
    The 9700 is my work phone, 8707v is my back up, sits in my car for two weeks on one charge getting my work and gmail emails and the odd phonecall.
    Username00089 likes this.
    11-17-10 07:27 AM
    The 9700 is my work phone, 8707v is my back up, sits in my car for two weeks on one charge getting my work and gmail emails and the odd phonecall.
    Good enough.
    11-17-10 08:00 AM
    Umm... The best word to describe RIM would be "BlackBerry" that is the main thing they do and make the most money doing.

Yes, it's the most simple, and boring, answer but isn't that what most everyone thinks of when they here or talk about Research In Motion?

11-17-10 08:17 AM
    Umm... The best word to describe RIM would be "BlackBerry" that is the main thing they do and make the most money doing.

Yes, it's the most simple, and boring, answer but isn't that what most everyone, that owns a blackberry, thinks of when they here or talk about Research In Motion?

Fixed for you.

If i had to describe RIM in one word and one word alone.

Content.

11-17-10 08:19 AM
    Good enough.
    A bit off topic but if I read gmail emails or send them from my 9700 they will appear as read on the 8707 and it will get a copy of the sent emails in the messages folder even though it uses OS4.2
    11-17-10 08:51 AM
    Fixed for you.

If i had to describe RIM in one word and one word alone.

Content.

I get your point but I just think that anyone that knows anything about cellphones knows that RIM makes BlackBerry phones. The random person, in the know, doesn't always realize RIM does enterprise solutions too, and that's what got them started.

Maybe I watch too much CNBC and Bloomberg, and read too many Wall Street articles though...

11-17-10 08:52 AM
    I get your point but I just think that anyone that knows anything about cellphones knows that RIM makes BlackBerry phones. The random person, in the know, doesn't always realize RIM does enterprise solutions too, and that's what got them started.

Maybe I watch too much CNBC and Bloomberg, and read too many Wall Street articles though...

I see where you are coming from but a lot of the avg people do not know who Research in Motion is. For example my District Manager carries a 9700, until yesterday he thought Blackberry made the phone, and Research in Motion supplied BES end of things.
    11-17-10 09:04 AM
    Corporate...
    11-17-10 09:29 AM
    Waterloo'd

SiliconValleyNorth.

Our perspective is a little different. Our carriers have us locked into three year contracts, with early upgrade options. That means my state of the art Pearl 8120, way back in '08, will continue to do it's job well while I wait out the Quantum Leap QNX phone.

I am confidant, there are plenty of very smart people, with their eye on the prize, in the boardroom of Research in Motion.
    11-17-10 10:54 AM
    Push

Hey, who can argue with that? 1990's technology using a 1990's email protocol technology.
    11-17-10 11:06 PM
    1990's technology has been improved by bloat? That's like when Microsoft thought it improved xp with vista. Suddenly everyone needed one gig of RAM just to idle.
    Last edited by T�nis; 11-17-10 at 11:19 PM.
    sallenthornton likes this.
    11-17-10 11:16 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD