Blackberry password wipe.

Ruling lets California police search your phone without a warrant - CNN.com

I'll set my phone to wipe after three attempts if I travel to California. (Hopefully I won't.)

If confronted with a demand to unlock my phone (even by a judge), I would also raise other constitutional issues [like the right to be free from involuntary servitude (i.e. slavery)] in addition to the usual Fourth amendment search and seizure issues. No citizen can be compelled to enter keystrokes for the police! I don't work for them, therefore I won't enter keystrokes!
    Last edited by T�nis; 01-06-11 at 05:24 PM.
    01-06-11 05:18 PM
    Not a good enough reason. I bet I'll never be asked for my phone by the cops. I don't have many run-ins with law enforcement. But that's just me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-06-11 05:24 PM
    The search would be "incident to an arrest". If you are planning on coming to CA to commit a crime, please stay home...
    NobleSix likes this.
    01-06-11 05:32 PM
    You're right. The police never falsely arrest anyone. And they never EVER commit crimes themselves ...
    01-06-11 05:35 PM
    You're right. The police never falsely arrest anyone. And they never EVER commit crimes themselves ...
    So, if you're "falsely arrested", then what incriminating info are they going to find on your phone? Did you read the article that you posted or just the headline?
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    01-06-11 05:50 PM
    There's nothing in my phone that I would be afraid to let an officer/judge see.
    What scares me are the paranoid conspiracy theorists who think cops are corrupt and out to get them.
    Up here in Canada, the police are your friends.
    01-06-11 05:53 PM
    So, if you're "falsely arrested", then what incriminating info are they going to find on your phone? Did you read the article that you posted or just the headline?
    Yea, I know ... "If you've done nothing wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide." Well, to that I say, "If the friendly police officer has nothing to hide, s/he won't mind my looking through her smart phone's contents either." Are you one of the sheeple who thinks that only incriminating information is private?
    01-06-11 05:55 PM
    This would likely be only done in the event of an accident to determine if you were using your device whilst driving.

Easy sollution, don't text while driving. I'm a truck driver... 2750.00 fine if I'm caught.

01-06-11 05:56 PM
    I guess it will be good if you are having an affair
    01-06-11 05:56 PM
    There's nothing in my phone that I would be afraid to let an officer/judge see.
    What scares me are the paranoid conspiracy theorists who think cops are corrupt and out to get them.
    Up here in Canada, the police are your friends.
    Agreed. Conspiracy theorists worry me. I've never been hassled by the police. Unless I deserved it, like when I was speeding. It's funny how some people are *always being hassled. It's never their fault according to them. I know someone like that. And it *is their fault. But they're one of those "I hate all authority" people. I have always had pleasant encounters with police, and they've been helpful.

01-06-11 05:58 PM
    This would likely be only done in the event of an accident to determine if you were using your device whilst driving.

Easy sollution, don't text while driving. I'm a truck driver... 2750.00 fine if I'm caught.

No, if you read the article, it was pursuant to a drug sales arrest. They looked on his phone after arresting him with probable cause and saw a text message detailing the transaction for Ecstasy. "6 4 80". If they arrested you after you got in an accident as in your hypothesis, then they could look at your phone, but the officer can't just walk over and take your phone at the scene of an accident, unless you are under arrest.

IMO, it really says something about one's mindset when they see "the cops" as bad...
    NobleSix likes this.
    01-06-11 06:06 PM
    Well stated. Thanks.

01-06-11 06:08 PM
    Hey, I watch "COPS," and I see them all pig-piling and using excessive force all the time. But how do we get from not wanting to help police invade one's privacy to this "I love authority and the police" love fest anyway?
    01-06-11 06:11 PM
    If Brett Favre ever visits California and gets into some trouble, that poor cop looking through his phone....
    01-06-11 06:12 PM
    I haven't seen the COPS cops arrest anyone who was innocent. Do you not see the people fleeing, and throwing crack rocks out their window. Ha.

That show has been on forever!

01-06-11 06:15 PM
    Well, you unlock over your smart phone for the police if asked. ****, let them strip search you and even invite them over to go through your pantie drawer if it make you "feel safe." But I'll wipe my phone before I unlock it for thugs with badges who are only hassling me because I "deserve it."
    01-06-11 06:26 PM
    I'll let you know if that ever happens to me. I'm betting it never will. lol @ pantie drawer.

01-06-11 06:27 PM
    I'll let you know if that ever happens to me. I'm betting it never will. lol @ pantie drawer.

I'm not a cop, but I'm willing to check your shorts, lol.
    01-06-11 06:29 PM
    I'm not a cop, but I'm willing to check your shorts, lol.
    Lol. Not without reasonable cause!

01-06-11 06:33 PM
    Lol. Not without reasonable cause!

ROFL!!! What a great post!

01-06-11 06:42 PM
    I've determined that it's reasonable. It's for the children, you know?
    01-06-11 06:44 PM
    Undoubtedly, this movement is directed at auto accidents and the attention payed to people driving while playing with their phones. It's not rocket science. You should see the things (accidents that occurred in the lane just outside of my drivers window while I was stopped at red lights on three different occasions) that I've seen from my car. I don't pity the drivers but DO feel sorry for the victims.
    And what exactly are they arresting people for at these accidents that then gives them the right to search the phone? Texting while driving is not an arrestable offense, its a citation. If they've got a reason to arrest them already, the added charge of texting will mean little at that point.

The headline doesn't give all of the facts...
    01-06-11 07:06 PM
    They can also inspect the phone for pirated movies and music etc too. If i really needed to keep anything hidden on there (work material that's confidential etc) I would just set up a truecrypt volume on the sd card.
    01-06-11 07:31 PM
    If you lived in baltimore city or county you would understand police harassment.. Would I rather there be no police, **** no especially not around here, but cops do make there own decisions and for every one that's illegally searching you there's another saving a life. So if you run into a cop that wants your cell phone and you have something to hide, I'd say start your video camera lock it and say no, you might have the next youtube hit like the skater at the harbor haha or a broken phone depends on the cop.

01-06-11 07:33 PM
    Well, you unlock over your smart phone for the police if asked. ****, let them strip search you and even invite them over to go through your pantie drawer if it make you "feel safe." But I'll wipe my phone before I unlock it for thugs with badges who are only hassling me because I "deserve it."
    Pig piling? Thugs with badges?
    You might not deserve it, but with an attitude like that you may be asking for it.

Drop the confrontational attitude and you might have a better interaction next time you meet a police officer.
    NobleSix likes this.
    01-06-11 09:03 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD