University of Calgary's Fat Thumb trick allows one-handed phone use, jugglers are thankful (video) - Engadget

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9vGU5R8nsc[/YT]

I found this intriguing, and thought would share it to see what are people's thoughts on it. This fat-thumb trick does seem like a great way to utilise gestures like pinch to zoom, which typically requires the use of both hands (if you don't want to risk dropping your phone). This can be useful in webpages too, though i know, double tapping works too, but this allows more controls over the level of zoom.

Since BB10 is touted as a phone that is easy to use even with one hand, do you think something like this would make it easier for one-handed use? or would it just cause more confusion?
    07-05-12 12:24 PM
    This really resonates with me using the Torch 9860. I really think if BB10 can pull off the one handed usage thing well, it would be a seller for sure.

The once Blackberry keyboard diehards are going to take to the new form factor very fast.

RIM has a little bit of an unproven record though in terms of producing high quality screens like its competitors have. Hopefully that would change quickly...
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-05-12 at 12:34 PM.
    07-05-12 12:29 PM
    I do this too when I have to.
    07-05-12 12:32 PM
    It just reminds me why I use a qwerty BlackBerry lol

Talk about fixing a problem that never existed. And this only fixes one of them.
    07-05-12 12:45 PM
    Eh one handed typing was always easy on my iPhone.

Now on the Evo...it was easy but uncomfortable. Lol.

One handed typing on bigger phones just isn't comfortable, but maybe this would help with that.
    07-05-12 12:46 PM
    Eh one handed typing was always easy on my iPhone.

Now on the Evo...it was easy but uncomfortable. Lol.

One handed typing on bigger phones just isn't comfortable, but maybe this would help with that.
    I have an Evo 3D with a 4.3" screen. I type with one hand on SwiftKey. Swype is also an option.
    07-05-12 03:57 PM
    I don't really have an issue with one handed use of my 9860. I can see however with something like a Note where the phone is huge, this could be very useful.
    07-05-12 06:16 PM
    Couldn't make it work on my 9860. Maybe my thumb isn't fat enough.
    07-05-12 06:44 PM
    Kinda agree. On my iPhone or lumia 800, where the screen is smaller than 4", I can still do the one hand 2 finger zoom without it being too uncomfortable. The device is thin and wide enough to maintain a good grip. Of course it's not as precise as using 2 hands. But I think having this tech on bb10 would improve the one handed ease of use on bb10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 07:14 PM
    I can one hand use my 4.65" screen no problemo. The trick is not to death grip the device like a lot of people tend to do. The device can rest on your last 3 fingers while thumb and forefinger can do whatever they wish on top of the device. Too many people just tend to grip their devices hard as if they're afraid the device will leap out of their hands.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-05-12 07:38 PM
    I mainly use one hand. It's not hard at all, especially with Swype.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    07-05-12 08:15 PM
    I have an Evo 3D with a 4.3" screen. I type with one hand on SwiftKey. Swype is also an option.

I was never a fan of Swiftkey or Swype.
    I always preferred the stock HTC keyboard & on my old Epic I used SmartKeyboard.
    The Epic was okay to hold in one hand.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 08:24 PM
    I was never a fan of Swiftkey or Swype.
    I always preferred the stock HTC keyboard & on my old Epic I used SmartKeyboard.
    The Epic was okay to hold in one hand.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I don't like the HTC keyboard. I prefer Swype for shorter, more casual entries, and ICS keyboard for longer entries two handed style.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    07-05-12 09:30 PM
    Couldn't make it work on my 9860. Maybe my thumb isn't fat enough.
    You couldn't get it to work, because it's a prototype.
    07-06-12 08:59 AM
    I guess I'm a minority. I rarely use my devices with one hand, unless it's light browsing, like if I pull my phone out to briefly look at the calendar or a text. Even on BB I feel more efficient using two hands.

However, I rarely use swype but I did find that it was easier in portrait than landscape.
    07-06-12 09:09 AM
    I guess I'm a minority. I rarely use my devices with one hand, unless it's light browsing, like if I pull my phone out to briefly look at the calendar or a text. Even on BB I feel more efficient using two hands.

However, I rarely use swype but I did find that it was easier in portrait than landscape.
    Then what will you do if one of your hands are full and you need to text someone urgent? Just askin
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-06-12 at 10:34 AM.
    07-06-12 10:31 AM
    Then what will you do if one of your hands are full and you need to text someone urgent? Just askin
    Put down the stuff I'm carrying (or put something in my messenger bag) and text. If it was urgent I'd probably call, though, and I can do that with one hand.
    07-06-12 10:39 AM
    Put down the stuff I'm carrying (or put something in my messenger bag) and text. If it was urgent I'd probably call, though, and I can do that with one hand.
    Next time you're out and about keep an eye out on people with young kids lol, then you'll see how awkward a large full touch screen phone is, especially when they try to take photos.
    07-06-12 10:44 AM
    Next time you're out and about keep an eye out on people with young kids lol, then you'll see how awkward a large full touch screen phone is, especially when they try to take photos.
    Oh I don't have to look around me to know how awkward taking pics with a larger phone with one hand is. That's why I don't do it, lol. Speedy was asking me what I'd do if I had to text someone and my hands were full, not taking a pic lol. In that case I'd just put my stuff down and take the pic.
    07-06-12 11:11 AM
    Haha I feel like a freak now for always using my One X with one hand..

Not to take pics though, how the heck does one do that with one hand?
    07-06-12 11:46 AM
    Haha I feel like a freak now for always using my One X with one hand..

Not to take pics though, how the heck does one do that with one hand?
    A way that works semi-decently (but probably not in a hurry) is to hold it in your right hand with the bottom edge of the phone resting about a half inch under where your fingers meet your palm. Secure it with your index finger and pinky, with your middle and ring fingers resting or lightly gripping the back. Use your thumb to tap the shutter button.
    07-06-12 01:01 PM
    so is this a patent? and who bought it?
    07-06-12 01:05 PM
    I laughed and laughed at about 20 seconds in where the guy with the iPhone does an overly exaggerated 'fumbling with the phone'.

If that guy honestly and seriously can't handle his iPhone one handed without looking like he has Parkinsons, he has bigger issues than one handed typing. It's like infomercials where they exaggerate how difficult it is to crack an egg.
    07-06-12 01:54 PM
    I laughed and laughed at about 20 seconds in where the guy with the iPhone does an overly exaggerated 'fumbling with the phone'.

If that guy honestly and seriously can't handle his iPhone one handed without looking like he has Parkinsons, he has bigger issues than one handed typing. It's like infomercials where they exaggerate how difficult it is to crack an egg.
    LMAO!! You know, I hadn't even looked at that video until your post!
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-06-12 02:25 PM
    I just tried that technique holding my device in my left hand and using my left thumb. It worked great!

I also typed this post single handed with my left hand.

I'm right-handed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-06-12 05:07 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD