So, despite what my profile says, I don't currently have a BlackBerry, in fact, I don't even have a phone. I'm adding a line to my mother's account on AT&T, and I can either purchase a �1 refurbished 9900 from AT&T or a brand new white 9810 for $19.99 from AmazonWireless. The only concern I have with the 9810 is the keyboard. I love the 9900 keyboard, but haven't really used the 9810. Also, will changing the housing to a white one on the 9900 void the warranty?

Thanks
    03-25-12 09:08 PM
    If I had to choose between the two, i'd go with the 9900.
    03-25-12 09:16 PM
    So, despite what my profile says, I don't currently have a BlackBerry, in fact, I don't even have a phone. I'm adding a line to my mother's account on AT&T, and I can either purchase a �1 refurbished 9900 from AT&T or a brand new white 9810 for $19.99 from AmazonWireless. The only concern I have with the 9810 is the keyboard. I love the 9900 keyboard, but haven't really used the 9810. Also, will changing the housing to a white one on the 9900 void the warranty?

Thanks
    Well you should fix that so as to not to confuse anyone. As for the swapping out the housing, yes it will void the warranty.
    03-25-12 09:24 PM
    Thanks. But I still don't know which device to get. Another question: when you order from AT&T's online store or AmazonWireless, does the contract start when you buy it, or when it's delivered? I want my device to be activated on the 28th, so the service starts/ends on the 28th.

Thanks.
    03-25-12 09:41 PM
    youll be happy with either one. both are fantastic phones...the two best of the bb line imo
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-25-12 09:52 PM
    9900 hands down... please listen to me on this one get the 9900. the 9900/30 are best COMMUNICATION phones on the market.
    03-26-12 12:52 AM
    I have a 9900 and my wife has a 9810.

9900 to me feels more solid. Her 9810 creaks and cracks all the time. This bold is solid.

My vote is for the 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-26-12 01:00 AM
    I've recently got the 9900, extremely happy with it.
    03-26-12 01:08 AM
    I've got a 9810, and very happy with it. The larger screen is really nice to work with, and if you want to switch between a virtual or physical keyboard, you can.

You can't go wrong with either device, so just play with each one for a bit at your local electronics store, and get the feel for each device.

Good luck!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-26-12 01:27 AM
    I had a 9800 and found the keyboard to be too narrow for me to type with any better speed than on the touch screen (in fact, SureType in portrait mode turned out to be the best of all). I understand that RIM was able to widen it out slightly on the 9810, but I never got the chance to try one to confirm whether it is wide ENOUGH.

I just moved to a 9900 a few weeks ago, and I'm seriously impressed; it is absolutely worthy of its "flagship" status. And the keyboard on IT is awesome.

Given your circumstances, I'd hold out for the Bold.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-26-12 01:36 AM
    I'm really considering the Torch because I like the design on the back, and I think the back of the 9900 looks uncreative and dull. However, based on functionality, I hear better things about the 9900 so I'll have to use both for a while at AT&T tomorrow. Wednesday I get my phone. And does anyone know the answer to my question about when the contract will start if ordered online?

Thanks
    03-26-12 09:46 PM
    What do you primarily use your phone for?

Both phones have their advantages, although I'd say you can't go wrong with the 9810 either way. With OS 7.1 it really has turned out to be the *perfect* phone, at least for me.

I don't find the keyboard on the 9810 *cramped* at all and anyone who compares the 9800 and the 9810 has clearly never used a 9810. Same(ish) form factor, the phones are night and day. I rarely if ever have freezes on my phone and if people are having issues with freezing its more likely an app issue than the phone itself.

Your contract starts on the day you first use the phone. I used to work for AT&T and using the phone is agreeing to the contracts and terms of service in cases where you are not physically there to sign the contract. This may have changed though. That being said you can't buy the phone and use/activate it a month later and decide then that you don't want the phone. If you exceed the buyers remorse period without returning the phone then its obvious you would have accepted the contract.

Hope this helps, if you tell me a little more about your phone usage and what you plan to do with the phone (primarily e-mails/phone/social media, media, etc.), I'd be happy to give you some more input.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-26-12 10:09 PM
    Simply because the 9810 is brand new and the 9900 would be refurbished, I would go with the 9810.

Otherwise I much prefer the 9900. Yes the screen is a bit smaller but the keyboard is much better, its a much slimmer phone, lighter, etc. Both are very capable, but the 9900 offers to the end user everything that RIM could manage to offer last year. It is the flagship afterall.

What about the 9860 though? I love mine and would take that phone over and over again over either of the other two. Is it not available with your carrier?
    03-26-12 10:21 PM
    Go to blackberry.com and compare the features of both phones.

The camera on the 9810 is better. Do you take pictures of business cards, magazine articles, etc...taking CLEAR close-ups (down to 3" from object) only happens on the 9810.
    The 9900 gets down to around 10-12" and then is gets blurry

Do you want a phone for a lot of emailing, texting,...communicating. Get the 9900

The keyboard on the 9810 is better than the 9800. It's not bigger, the keys are flatter and typing is better.

The 9900 screen has higher ppi. The 9900 has NFC.

With the 9810 you don't have to use the keyboard all the time
    03-27-12 08:09 AM
    I will primarily use the phone for BBM & Texting, and occasional web browsing. And I don't like all touch phones, I love BBs for their keyboards. But today I'm going to test them both and see which one I like better. Games and such are not a necessity because I have an iPod touch (the reason I won't get an iPhone), and I mainly email, take *some* pictures, and text quite a bit.

Alex
    03-27-12 08:53 AM
    I will primarily use the phone for BBM & Texting, and occasional web browsing. And I don't like all touch phones, I love BBs for their keyboards. But today I'm going to test them both and see which one I like better. Games and such are not a necessity because I have an iPod touch (the reason I won't get an iPhone), and I mainly email, take *some* pictures, and text quite a bit.

Alex
    If youre browsing then the extra screen real estate with the 9810 is priceless. I do a LOT of BBM, typing, texting, e-mailing, etc. and have never had issue with the 9810 keyboard. I even LOVE the touch screen keyboard and think that it combined with the supberb auto-correct is a winning combination. I find myself using the touch screen keyboard a lot, even though the physical keyboard is there.

If you take pictures then by far the camera on the 9810 is superior. Ive taken some amazing pics with it, but auto-focus is a must for me.
    03-27-12 09:04 AM
    If you're just using your phone for texting and emailing and stuff like that, I say go for the Bold. I have both the 9900 and 9810 and they're both great phones. The Bold feels more solid. The Torch has a creaky thing under the battery door, just below the battery, a black plastic thing. It moves when I hold my phone and makes a slight noise. This could be fixed by a sturdier battery cover, but oh well.

The Torch has a great screen and great camera. I use instagram on my iPod touch, and I email pictures from my Torch to my iPod, and they really turn out incredibly. The auto focus is hugely noticeable, and the 9900's close up pictures of objects isn't that great. The Torch also has really nice screen, and also a keyboard that I'd rate a 9/10. It is narrower than the 9900's but is still as good as the ones on the 9780, in my opinion.

The Bold's screen is really bright and vivid and the keyboard is obviously the best keyboard ever. The camera takes excellent pictures, just not of like.. a document where you need to zoom in on a word.

Good luck with your decision!
    03-27-12 03:05 PM
    Thank you, everyone! I got the 9900 and I love it. Using it right now, actually. Thanks again, Alex G.
    If you're just using your phone for texting and emailing and stuff like that, I say go for the Bold. I have both the 9900 and 9810 and they're both great phones. The Bold feels more solid. The Torch has a creaky thing under the battery door, just below the battery, a black plastic thing. It moves when I hold my phone and makes a slight noise. This could be fixed by a sturdier battery cover, but oh well.

The Torch has a great screen and great camera. I use instagram on my iPod touch, and I email pictures from my Torch to my iPod, and they really turn out incredibly. The auto focus is hugely noticeable, and the 9900's close up pictures of objects isn't that great. The Torch also has really nice screen, and also a keyboard that I'd rate a 9/10. It is narrower than the 9900's but is still as good as the ones on the 9780, in my opinion.

The Bold's screen is really bright and vivid and the keyboard is obviously the best keyboard ever. The camera takes excellent pictures, just not of like.. a document where you need to zoom in on a word.

Good luck with your decision!
    03-27-12 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD