It's so depressing as a future IT graduate to see the low quantity of apps blackberry have.

I want to know why developers don't want to port their apps to the BB OS, maybe is the screen factor, that's why RIM needs to make the full touchscreen next gen device as high end as possible, so programmers are interested in porting their apps.

Finally in march I got the chance to upgrade my phone and I might go with the iphone.
    I love taking pictures and I really want to use instagram, I also surf and would love to have a surfline or magicseaweed app for my phone,but unfortunately there's no app for my blackberry.

I believe programmers would make a lot of extra money if they took their time to port their apps, because we have hungry blackberry users who are waiting to open up their wallet and buy real apps. like skype.

To the new C.E.O I believe the BIG smartphone should be a 4 inch, HD display, with a 12-13 MP Camera with super lens censor with a quad core processor, if BB 10 runs smoothly with a dual core, you better make sure that battery life runs for a full day. take for example the droid razr Maxx, which can last up to 22 hours with LTE, there's no excuse RIM, I would come back to the platform after a year of BB10 is released and see how it goes and I start programming for your OS. good luck and blackberry will always be in my soul
    01-30-12 08:45 AM
    IMHO, the developer problem for BB's is:
    - Hardware / software combination not capable of delivering on the "high-end" gaming experience.
    - From what I understand, the API's and dev tools for BB are sub-par compared to the other devices.
    - BB's screen resolution is all over the place, and their SW versions are all over the place, making it difficult for developers as they need to test and certify on too many OS versions.
    - The perceptions that BB users don't want apps. Always blew my mind that once apps became big, developers didn't go after the BB market (there were a LOT more users of that platform in the early app days...).

But yeah... BB needs a new start - much like windows phone dropped the old windows mobile. I personally find pretty much everything I want on the BB and in app world... but I'm not a huge gamer and I guess I have simple needs. My biggest thing is being able to keep my phone off a charge for 3 days and still be able to use the darn thing for messaging and phone calls (and the occasional Pandora session...).
    berry4life99 likes this.
    01-30-12 09:08 AM
    I hope those constrains change with BB10
    I'm not a app freak. But it sucks where I see useful apps only for iOS and android. I use my ipad for casual gaming/viewing editing emails/ and is the best alternative to a laptop for a college student who is always walking through his campus. One thing I will miss is blackberry messenger, But I'l come back to the platform a year later BB10 is out, because everyone knows is going to be a long way for RIM get back in the game and attract developers, sorted like what Microsoft is doing. the Lummnia And I was considering to buy it when it comes out,but there's no much really a vast app selection for windows yet.
    01-30-12 09:15 AM
    I hope those constrains change with BB10
    I'm not a app freak. But it sucks where I see useful apps only for iOS and android. I use my ipad for casual gaming/viewing editing emails/ and is the best alternative to a laptop for a college student who is always walking through his campus. One thing I will miss is blackberry messenger, But I'l come back to the platform a year later BB10 is out, because everyone knows is going to be a long way for RIM get back in the game and attract developers, sorted like what Microsoft is doing. the Lummnia And I was considering to buy it when it comes out,but there's no much really a vast app selection for windows yet.
    What useful apps do you see that you would like on blackberrys?
    OP, from an IT perspective if the other platform meets your needs then its only smart to switch. Every single device can't have every single thing. Then there would only be one device period. As much as iphone wants that to be them its never going to happen. Android is just an os, so its easy for google to just develope th os and leave the hardware for the manufactor. Soas long as google just builds the os there's never going to be just 1 android device. A coworker of mine has the new droid razr and it won't get 22 hrs. He is looking for a charger @ dinner time. If not it'll be dead in an hour or so. I've been thru the app market an itunes. I can't find any apps I want. So I'm real content w/ what my blackberry does for me. Maybe one day the blackberry evovle into the super jukebox that some people want.
    01-30-12 10:00 AM
    After the announcement of BB7 with BBX/BB10 so soon behind saying applications from BB7 would not be compatible with BBX/BB10 discourage developers from working on BB at all. While we understand that applications that work on OS2/Playbook should work on BB10 phones until we actually see the SDK for the phone no one really knows for sure. IMHO it discourages developers from working with Blackberry until the SDK for the new phone is available.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-30-12 10:09 AM
    After the announcement of BB7 with BBX/BB10 so soon behind saying applications from BB7 would not be compatible with BBX/BB10 discourage developers from working on BB at all. While we understand that applications that work on OS2/Playbook should work on BB10 phones until we actually see the SDK for the phone no one really knows for sure. IMHO it discourages developers from working with Blackberry until the SDK for the new phone is available.
    Part of the SDK is there -- for the Playbook. I might be wrong but I recall discussion that OS7 was being developed and redone for OS7.x so that parts would be BB10 components and apps developed for BB10 would also be compatible with the present OS7 hardware.
    01-30-12 10:57 AM
    What useful apps do you see that you would like on blackberrys?
    OP, from an IT perspective if the other platform meets your needs then its only smart to switch. Every single device can't have every single thing. Then there would only be one device period. As much as iphone wants that to be them its never going to happen. Android is just an os, so its easy for google to just develope th os and leave the hardware for the manufactor. Soas long as google just builds the os there's never going to be just 1 android device. A coworker of mine has the new droid razr and it won't get 22 hrs. He is looking for a charger @ dinner time. If not it'll be dead in an hour or so. I've been thru the app market an itunes. I can't find any apps I want. So I'm real content w/ what my blackberry does for me. Maybe one day the blackberry evovle into the super jukebox that some people want.

supposedly the new razor Maxx can run along through a whole day. I'm studying B.A: I.T development and photography and surfing are my hobbies, I love the form factor of my bb, but I wouldn't mind going with a full touchscreen If BB gets a better version of Flicker,Tumblr or get instagram, neither there's an app where I can check my surf forecast, I try to go the mobile sites but it always end up closing itself because it couldn't manage to load all the elements on the site
    01-30-12 11:37 AM
    - The perceptions that BB users don't want apps.
    i have read this a number of times. Whilst i agree, i think that the primary cause of this perception is the amount of corporate users- if your 'berry is on BES, then i'm fairly sure you can't install any app that isn't pushed by your admin.

i may be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected...
    01-30-12 11:55 AM
    i have read this a number of times. Whilst i agree, i think that the primary cause of this perception is the amount of corporate users- if your 'berry is on BES, then i'm fairly sure you can't install any app that isn't pushed by your admin.
    That's part of it for US developers, we see people carrying corporate or government issued blackberries that are totally locked down, and then those same people buy their apps on their personal android or iPhone.

The other issue, though, is you do see a lot of Blackberry fans downplaying apps, saying they're all just fart apps anyway, they prefer the web, etc. It's hard to know how much of that is apologetics or sour grapes and how much is just a genuine disinterest in mobile devices as mobile computers. If it really is the latter, then it's hard for a lot of small developers to get excited unless you happen to work for Skype or something.

And then there is the fairly logical argument that if BB users cared that much about apps, why are they still BB users? There are certainly plenty of good phones available out there that run all sorts of apps.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-30-12 at 12:53 PM.
    01-30-12 12:43 PM

i may be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected...
    <shrugs>We run BES, and we let users download apps, but we're small enough (200 users, give or take) that we're probably an exception.
    01-30-12 12:50 PM
    i think the main problem is that people have become dependent on apps and dont know that they are not actually needed on a device.

for example, if i ask a friend of mine to check the score in a sports event they always use an app on their phone (bb or iphone is the same)... what ever happened to checking websites for that information. To further show the problem, one of my friends was upset when The Score Mobile app wasnt working for his BB and said that 'BB suck'... he never thought to visit the actual website and get the EXACT same info.

Apps should be a add on, or a compliment to a device, not the main reason for having one.
    alnamvet68 and berry4life99 like this.
    01-30-12 12:54 PM
    IMHO, the developer problem for BB's is:
    - Hardware / software combination not capable of delivering on the "high-end" gaming experience.
    That much is true. Though you really can do quite a bit with the hardware available, you don't have the same advantages as other platforms.

- From what I understand, the API's and dev tools for BB are sub-par compared to the other devices.
    I strongly disagree here. Having developed for Android, even the much maligned older API's are a dream in comparison. If you think developing for Android is a great experience, you'll absolutely love developing for BB. RIM's new suite of tools make things even better.

- BB's screen resolution is all over the place, and their SW versions are all over the place, making it difficult for developers as they need to test and certify on too many OS versions.
    Android has this same problem. Of course, so do computers. I've been developing for multiple screen resolutions for decades. Why this has suddenly become a problem in the mobile space is completely beyond me.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-12 01:00 PM

I strongly disagree here. Having developed for Android, even the much maligned older API's are a dream in comparison. If you think developing for Android is a great experience, you'll absolutely love developing for BB. RIM's new suite of tools make things even better.
    Really? I'm curious what you like better about the BB tools. I'm primarily an iOS developer, but i've done enough Android work to wonder why you think the BB APIs are a dream in comparison?

Android has this same problem. Of course, so do computers. I've been developing for multiple screen resolutions for decades. Why this has suddenly become a problem in the mobile space is completely beyond me.
    Because the nature of mobile is that you want to make maximum use of the small screen. And your mean user interaction is less than 30 seconds, and your median even less. So the way you design a good UX is a lot more dependent on the screen size.

I'm looking forward to how BB handles this with BB10.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-30-12 at 01:27 PM.
    01-30-12 01:21 PM
    Really? I'm curious what you like better about the BB tools. I'm primarily an iOS developer, but i've done enough Android work to wonder why you think the BB APIs are a dream in comparison?
    I think you've mentioned before that you don't do BB development? I don't do iPhone development, so I can't comment there.

Anyhow, my biggest complaint when developing for Android is the ridiculous need to save and restore your application state. Add to that the weird "component" concept (activities, services, etc.) that just creates extra work without adding any value. (To be fair, some of the ideas are really good, they're just implemented in the worst possible way.)

If that wasn't enough, there isn't even a good way to profile the device the app is running on so you can make adjustments to improve the app's performance on lower-end hardware. It almost encourages you to code for the bottom, which often means leaving out features or details depending on the type of app your writing.

Because the nature of mobile is that you want to make maximum use of the small screen. And your mean user interaction is less than 30 seconds, and your median even less. So the way you design a good UX is a lot more dependent on the screen size.
    I don't see how that changes anything. You can expect a minimum and maximum size and it's ridiculously easy to find the aspect ratio. If you can write layout code that can handle that, I don't know how you managed to develop desktop software!

The displays are smaller. That's it. You design your UI to be usable on a small screen. How you handle different aspect ratios and resolutions is identical to how you dealt with those issues on the desktop! If your platform doesn't provide layout management, it's trivial (and often better) to implement your own.

So no, I don't see how having smaller screens changes the problem at all. That you're forced to design your UI differently for mobile is completely irrelevant to the technical difficulty of adapting to various screen sizes.
    01-30-12 04:24 PM
    It's so depressing as a future IT graduate to see the low quantity of apps blackberry have.

I want to know why developers don't want to port their apps to the BB OS, maybe is the screen factor, that's why RIM needs to make the full touchscreen next gen device as high end as possible, so programmers are interested in porting their apps.
    There's absolutely no hope for the current BBOS having a strong App market. The BB10 devices are their chance at getting developers.
    01-30-12 04:44 PM
    I think Apps are the future of mobile computing. Websites are great, but have offline access and an app made for a particular use are going to stay with us. Some apps are larger than you could create through a web experience. I think BB users say they don't want apps in a lot of cases because they don't have them or have not used another platform. The old fart app statements show one's ignorance. RIM has to ramp it up in this area and should probably make Android Apps available on BB10 immediately with the launch.
    01-30-12 05:04 PM
    I think Apps are the future of mobile computing. Websites are great, but have offline access and an app made for a particular use are going to stay with us. Some apps are larger than you could create through a web experience. I think BB users say they don't want apps in a lot of cases because they don't have them or have not used another platform. The old fart app statements show one's ignorance. RIM has to ramp it up in this area and should probably make Android Apps available on BB10 immediately with the launch.
    Exactly.... I also think some of the not needing apps sentiment maybe a little bit of denial. Once one fully experiences the advantages of an iPhone or a high end Android device, they'll realize what they're missing, even if they do not admit it.

Apps are sometimes easier to access versus going to the website. Widgets are even better, especially for things like scores.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    01-30-12 07:08 PM
    I think Apps are the future of mobile computing.

And herein lies the rub. At least for myself and many other BB users on here.

I don't want a mobile computer, I want a smartphone that will communicate reliably, and be tough enough to be handled every day for the 2 years of a contract, many 14-16 hour days outside. I dont remember ever watched a movie, or listened to a song on any of my BBs I have probably played games a dozen times in 4 years.
    01-30-12 08:01 PM
    I dont get why people say we dont need apps.

If that was the case then BB wouldnt be where it is today IMO and they actually have quite a few apps, some useful, some not....a lot of expensive ones.

Going to a website is a lot slower compared to just hitting the icon for that app and bingo, bango you have what you need.

That argument dosent even hold water anymore.
    01-30-12 08:25 PM
    I have to add my two cents..........

While I do see the need for apps, I don't see the need for so many (This is were the "fart" app joke is relavent). I personally have only used a BB (9930 & Playbook), but I have both friends and family that use android and iOS. When they bring up the topic of BB apps I always ask them "how many apps do you have on your phone" and then "how many of those apps do you actually use on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to get something done?". The point is regardless of what platform you use there are only a small precentage of apps that are actually useful. I also have to say that I find that there may be need for apps on platforms because they lack good native ones. My BB has so far been able to satisfy 90% of my mobile needs with native apps that shipped with the phone. When I look on my friends/familys phone for their selection of installed apps I find that my blackberry has either native or downloadable apps that do the same thing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-12 09:09 PM
    The reason Web development took off so well was that it could be developed once, and used on most any platform. The "mobile web" was a poor implementation of that standard, as it gave you the data, but was ugly and not always that fast. The newer mobile web sites are getting better, but they're not there yet.

Ideally, if a company can create a single "mobile web experience" that could work on any mobile phone browser, then there's no reason to spend the extra time and effort (and money) developing for a specific platform (or multiple-platforms).

Take for example a banking website. Is there really a reason for an app for mobile banking? I personally think no. For sports scores... Score mobile is great... but there's really no reason they couldn't have done that in a browser. ESPN mobile is a prime example of a well done mobile site. Yahoo has a good mobile experience as well.

Don't get me wrong, a game through browser is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Likewise, there are some apps that help to have client-based code (i.e. stock tracking apps, graphs, etc.).

The Apple app-ecosystem set the mobile web back a few years, as developers abandoned creating a good mobile-web experience because an iPhone app was sexy and users of the platform believed if you didn't have an app for the platform, then your site/product would not be accessed from their device. Apple did a great job locking their users into the app experience and the app store, and of course every other platform now has the same.

Anyway.. that ends my rant. I do like good apps... and would love to see what developers could do with QNX going forward. I find it amusing that after all these years of Linux trying to get into the desktop space, devs are finally embracing the Linux platform and developing apps for Android and the QNX Unix variants.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-12 08:19 AM
    I have to add my two cents..........

While I do see the need for apps, I don't see the need for so many (This is were the "fart" app joke is relavent). I personally have only used a BB (9930 & Playbook), but I have both friends and family that use android and iOS. When they bring up the topic of BB apps I always ask them "how many apps do you have on your phone" and then "how many of those apps do you actually use on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to get something done?". The point is regardless of what platform you use there are only a small precentage of apps that are actually useful. I also have to say that I find that there may be need for apps on platforms because they lack good native ones. My BB has so far been able to satisfy 90% of my mobile needs with native apps that shipped with the phone. When I look on my friends/familys phone for their selection of installed apps I find that my blackberry has either native or downloadable apps that do the same thing.
    I get your point, and for me, it applies as well. I don't use that many apps. But I will say that each of us are different. The number of apps is what is attracts many people. I like knowing that if I want an app, it probably exists. Younger people go through apps like crazy and love that their are so many. Job specific apps are plentiful and used by professionals, and many you can get no where else.

The only two things that made me go iOS were the fact that I was buying one app and using it on the iPad, (2) iPhones, and (3) iPod Touch's seamlessly and that when I downloaded a song or took a picture it shows up on every device I use regularly with me making no effort. Without that, I would have stayed Android and been happy. The whole ecosystem thing is important. It is not just the apps, but are they compatible across your devices, can they be found easily, is there enough selection, do things sync well and with ease, etc, etc.

One thing Apple got right that took Android 2 or 3 tries was you don't have to wade through 10000 fart apps to get what you want. I don't even know they exist.
    01-31-12 08:24 AM
    I can also understand where you are coming from but is there really a need for so many devices? Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad all at once? Which device do you carry with you most frequently and if you carry your Iphone with you at all times is there really a need for your Ipod or Ipad since as you said that they all have the same apps? Having the playbook and 9930 personally, I can definitely see the advantage of using some of these apps on a larger screen. I have two good examples for you; Poynt on BB has a great app on both BB phones and the playbook, but given that it really doesn't need to be used on a large display device I only really use it on my phone, while web browsing and games I perfer to do on my playbook since they are definitely much better on a larger screen. I also prefer to listen to music from my phone since I can load a playlist and slip it in my pocket, which is difficult to do with my playbook (although possible). Also I perfer to play games (real games) on the playbook because the screen size is much better and if I have time to play them I can usually sit down and enjoy the experience.

I actually supported RIM with their blackberry bridge for email because it eliminates the redunency and overlap of the devices, also because I own a BB phone. One point where apple I feel has been very successful is that they have driven such a craze to own every product that they produce. But I have never really seen the point in owning all these devices when they do pretty much the same thing. Yeah it may be nice to have angry birds on your phone and tablet but on what device is the experience supperior? This also brings up the whole portability aspect which apple seems to have ignored because anything smaller than 10" is an unusable experience (remember the quote from Steve Jobs that one would have to shave down there fingers in order to use a 7" tablet). Acorrding to users such as yourself you have no problem using the same app on all devices. But I think he was right that most of those apps are much better experiences on a particular device.

The last example I have is from one of my bosses. I remember how excited he was when he first bought his Ipad. He carried it everywhere with him at work, to meetings, etc. After several months guess how much he uses while he's on the go..... almost never. It instead sits on his desk when he brings it to work, and even then productivity wise his computer is a much better tool.
    Last edited by rollj83; 02-04-12 at 03:30 PM.
    02-04-12 03:27 PM
    Bottom line is that devs are making a lot of money on the BB platform....People will be purchasing apps on BB 7 for at least 2+ years. I'm sure there are many BB7 app devs who are basking in this sentiment, as they are making a small fortune.....It takes effort to make money.....

Not only that.....Just buck up....Build the BB7 app.....Make lots of money, and when BB10 drops build the same app (a stunning version of it) out of the full open source tools BB10 will offer. Has anyone even saw what is possible with QNX development tools in their infant form at the moment? Devs are creating some pretty sweet apps in under 8-10 hours at app hackathons for BB....With that said...Go one step further and use WebWorks/HTML5 and simply port to BB10
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-04-12 at 04:31 PM.
    02-04-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD