Even Samsung with their Galaxy S6 is moving to non-removable batteries.

The uproar within the Android community is tremendous and people are saying they will boycott the phone and stick with the S5 or Note 4 until removable batteries return.

It's not just about a battery pull to fix a frozen device. It's about returning to full power in minutes, and the people mostly concerned about this are business users, so shouldn't BlackBerry listen to them? Also, with the Z10, Q10 and Bold 9900 charging kits, you could essentially never have your phone tethered to a cord unless you wanted to connect to BlackBerry Link.

I work 12-14 days and travel around North America daily. I need backup battery power, and being tethered to my external battery isn't how I want to do it.

IMHO, if you go fixed battery, you do what Samsung did and incorporate a Real battery saving mode that drops usability to spartan functions.

 Q10 
    03-05-15 08:51 AM
    If BlackBerry can make a non camera Classic, surely they could make a limited run removable battery phone. You may have to pay extra for the limited run.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:59 AM
    I for one am sad to see the removable batteries go
    03-05-15 09:14 AM
    I'm not upgrading until the phone has a removable battery and a physical keyboard... I tolerate the Blackberry OS because of these phone characteristics... I walk out the door with a fully charged phone and 2 spare/chargers in my pocket... you know what I never worry about, like everyone of friends and family does??? Being glued to a charger... too bad too, I'd like to get a Classic...

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:22 PM
    I'm not upgrading until the phone has a removable battery and a physical keyboard... I tolerate the Blackberry OS because of these phone characteristics... I walk out the door with a fully charged phone and 2 spare/chargers in my pocket... you know what I never worry about, like everyone of friends and family does??? Being glued to a charger... too bad too, I'd like to get a Classic...

Posted via CB10
    Then I guess you'll never have another phone in your life.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-05-15 06:18 PM
    I suspect on most phones there are other issues that cause phone failure before the battery needs replacing. On the Classic, that would be the keyboard, trackpad and power plug in.

The biggest issue on the iPhone is replacing a cracked screen.

Posted via CB10
    ^ True dat... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-05-15 08:49 PM
    The trend towards removable batteries has been going on for several years. At this point it's pretty much a done deal.
    03-06-15 01:32 PM
    By the time you have a battery issue. You will be onto another phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 01:39 PM
    By the time you have a battery issue. You will be onto another phone.

Posted via CB10
    That's the other reason the manufacturers are going to fixed batteries. They're pushing us toward the "disposable device" mindset. Oh my battery isn't holding a charge? Well fine I'll drop $700+ on their newest offering. Such a waste of money.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 04:04 PM
    I have had more issues with phones that has a replaceable battery. Actually my N9 still works, non removable battery. My Z10 on the other hand was a mess, I suspect a bad fitting battery with random power failure being the cause.
    Z30 non removable, no problems. And now Passport, not a problem so far.
    03-06-15 04:20 PM
    That's the other reason the manufacturers are going to fixed batteries. They're pushing us toward the "disposable device" mindset. Oh my battery isn't holding a charge? Well fine I'll drop $700+ on their newest offering. Such a waste of money.

Posted via CB10
    Or a few bucks to replace it somewhere if you want to keep it.
    03-06-15 04:42 PM
    IMHO, Blackberry is sliding down a slippery slope by not including removable batteries in their newer phones.
    One look at the latest Z30 fiasco (and Blackberry has finally owned up to the issue) leads me to
    believe that there will be other update issues. In the good old days, we just did a battery
    pull. What now?
    Political correctness. We must all obey what they shove us down the throat.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-06-15 04:59 PM
    Or a few bucks to replace it somewhere if you want to keep it.
    It's not "few bucks" to get it replaced. It can cost up to $100 to get it replaced from your carrier or from a shop.

And even if you have the tools and the knowledge to replace the battery yourself, you still would not be able to find a replacement battery from the OEM since the phone manufacturer never released the battery for the public sale.

I keep my phones for three years, and the phone batteries show its age by the 20 month mark.

At least I can get new batteries easily for my Z10 and the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 05:08 PM
    BB is just moving forward and not being stuck in the past...non removable battery is the future. Apple knew this from the beginning I think.
    Yeah many years, removable battery worked out so good for us. But you are right. Apple made the trend and it's the future.

I will also stop for thinking myself and just obey. It's trendy and the future. Yaaaaay.

Hey, I hope BlackBerry implement finger print sensor and a candy like os. Why? Apple knew it from the beginning. And it's the future, right?

I love to obey like a sheeple. It's just awesome. And let's promote that trend and smile. Don't ask, don't tell.

Oh my god.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 05:09 PM
    The trend towards removable batteries has been going on for several years. At this point it's pretty much a done deal.
    That's what they said of the trackball/trackpad too and here we are with the Classic.

I for one am sad to see the removable batteries go
    I agree. Let's hope that if there will be a Classic #2, that they will bring back the removable battery too.
    IMHO if you release a "classic" then one would tend to think that a "classic removable battery" would be part of the deal.
    I guess not (for now at least).
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-07-15 01:23 PM
    Had a great time in Louisville Kentucky today. There was a statewide competition for children K through 12.

The moment we arrived, my wife was seeking out a plug-in to charge her iPhone. They ended up lingering around this school's library for about double the amount of time they wanted to so she could get a good charge. Me, I was about 6 hours into a pretty heavy usage day when I noticed the red blinking light. I shut the Zed10 down and tossed in my back-up battery. I never had to hoover around the outlet.

Around 12:30 we went to Chuy's (Mexican Food), the moment we arrived, the oldest kid in our group was walking around the restaurant looking for an outlet for his iPhone. This was weird to me, I would tell my kids tough crap, put it away.

Flash forward to 4:30 at the awards ceremony and both my wife and another woman in our group are looking for an outlet in the gymnasium because both of their iPhones are dead. My first back-up was down to about 15% and I wanted to take a lot of HD video/pictures so I shut mine down and tossed in my second spare battery. Neither of them were able to get any pictures/video of the event and they want me to send them mine.

People can use sales volume and market share as a way to justify something is better, but it isn't. That is just a backwards way making something seem like the right way forward. A shame really, I see this outlet searching all the time...
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    03-07-15 06:18 PM
    All things being equal, I'd prefer a removable battery.

Thing is, things are not equal, and I've grown accustomed to not having a replaceable battery.

Plus, I have a portable charger that can be used across devices that's the size of an extra battery.
    03-07-15 06:56 PM
    Had a great time in Louisville Kentucky today. There was a statewide competition for children K through 12.

The moment we arrived, my wife was seeking out a plug-in to charge her iPhone. They ended up lingering around this school's library for about double the amount of time they wanted to so she could get a good charge. Me, I was about 6 hours into a pretty heavy usage day when I noticed the red blinking light. I shut the Zed10 down and tossed in my back-up battery. I never had to hoover around the outlet.

Around 12:30 we went to Chuy's (Mexican Food), the moment we arrived, the oldest kid in our group was walking around the restaurant looking for an outlet for his iPhone. This was weird to me, I would tell my kids tough crap, put it away.

Flash forward to 4:30 at the awards ceremony and both my wife and another woman in our group are looking for an outlet in the gymnasium because both of their iPhones are dead. My first back-up was down to about 15% and I wanted to take a lot of HD video/pictures so I shut mine down and tossed in my second spare battery. Neither of them were able to get any pictures/video of the event and they want me to send them mine.

People can use sales volume and market share as a way to justify something is better, but it isn't. That is just a backwards way making something seem like the right way forward. A shame really, I see this outlet searching all the time...
    I'm sure those in the Enterprise world see the same thing. How can Chen mock "wallhuggers" yet then turn around and release fixed battery phones. LTE in the US sucks your battery dead, kills those 22+ hour batter projections down to 10 of light use. You got fixed battery, better buy a 10000 mah external.

 Q10 
    03-07-15 07:14 PM
    A removal battery could do that too. If removable didn't have so many issues with the connections and bumps making your phone reboot I would prefer them.
    Personally not had a reboot issue or loose battery issue on any device in 15 years.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 07:24 PM
    Non - removable batteries enable for a larger battery, ain't nothing wrong with that

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 07:28 PM
    All things being equal, I'd prefer a removable battery.

Thing is, things are not equal, and I've grown accustomed to not having a replaceable battery.

Plus, I have a portable charger that can be used across devices that's the size of an extra battery.
    This.

Besides, if the battery is large enough to power through a day without being tied to a desk (Passport), then not having the option to swap it is less of a sting.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-07-15 07:44 PM
    I can see that in the future, there will be a harder legislation forcing manufacturers to make the battery "easily accessible". When the phone becomes electronic waste then it's the responsibility of the manufacturer to "recycle" the phone. In practice this is not the case but they are paying others to do it and there will be some problems for these people as it is near impossible to break into the device. In the near future the will be some consensus about this so that you don't have spend half a day trying to remove a battery from a phone, in the name of recycling.
    03-07-15 08:03 PM
    Consumerism

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-07-15 10:29 PM
    Batteries wear down and stop holding charges as well after a while. The non-removable paradigm is for a throw away society and people that change their phones every 2 years or so.

People like me that buy their phones outright and see it as an investment and something that they can keep for a long time don't want non-removable batteries.
    OMG you hit the nail on the head!

However much garlic the recipe calls for, triple it
    03-09-15 03:27 PM
49 12