Why does everybody hate OS7? I realize it lacks in eye candy however I find my 9900 with 7.1 to be quite capable. My question is who here is running 7.1 and besides apps where do you think its lacking? Pretty good gap filler in my opinion.
    stevepar likes this.
    07-02-12 11:40 PM
    Not everyone hates 7.1. The haters are the most vocal but many of us are very happy with the functionality of both the devices and the OS. We have a 9900 in my family and the user is fine with the phone. ATT limits some functions but for what we need a handheld device we are well and happy. If new and better functions come in the future all is even better, but for today the devices provide the communication services we need. If we want more entertainment we move to a different size of device for which we have an adequate supply.
    07-03-12 06:45 AM
    Because it looks so much like previous versions, everybody thinks it's the same thing and are therefore perfectly willing to dismiss it without understanding the improvements and enhancements in it. I don't think you get too much hating on it from people who actually own and use it. Again, it comes down to RIM being its own worst enemy by thinking the devices will sell themselves rather than marketing them as the marked improvements over their predecessors that they are. They allowed the lipstick-on-a-pig perception to flourish, and flourish it has.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't have Skype.
    07-03-12 07:07 AM
    This is so true most people that hate OS7.1 have no idea of it capabilities and never used a OS7 device.. There is enough added to make it so much better. The browser in OS7 compare to OS6 is like comparing the brower in Android 2.1 to 4.0 so much faster. The pinch to zoom perfect on OS7.
    Too many people left after OS6 and never tried the wonderful OS7 and just have that feeling like its the same old BB, but its not I never have to remove my battery ever and I never seen a timeclock. OS7 is quick

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    chm985 likes this.
    07-03-12 09:25 AM
    The screen size alone makes the 9900 unappealing to most smartphone users. When combined with the lack of apps and adequate cameras it is no surprise they are not flying off the shelves.
    07-03-12 09:55 AM
    I like my OS 7. My complaints about the phone are not the UI which I find great it is the keyboard that I mainly have an issue with. With a bigger screen and better spacing and a slightly altered layout I think an onscreen keyboard can be great though. Here's hoping for BB 10!
    07-03-12 10:03 AM
    The screen size alone makes the 9900 unappealing to most smartphone users. When combined with the lack of apps and adequate cameras it is no surprise they are not flying off the shelves.
    Not you again, everyone doesn't need a 5" screen to carry around. The BlackBerry devices are very capable as used by millions.
    07-03-12 10:11 AM
    Not you again, everyone doesn't need a 5" screen to carry around. The BlackBerry devices are very capable as used by millions.
    Then BlackBerry should not have any problems bouncing back from their current state, all they need to do is keep producing small screened Bolds and Curves.
    07-03-12 10:16 AM
    my 9930 is the best Blackberry to date. I do wonder why the camera does not have autofocus, but if used right, it still takes some good pictures. But really, come on, anybody who says any camera phone takes great pictures is a dope. Tiny little lens, and 5+MB chips in such a small footprint. Total crap to any self respecting photographer.

The apps that are lacking, are made up for with the bridged, full browsing capabilities Playbook. Why does it matter if you have an app for it, when you can go to a fully functioning website.
    07-03-12 10:18 AM
    I love the precision of the trackpad and OS 7.1 has a lot of features and is much better than OS5 or OS6.
    07-03-12 03:19 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

RIM makes some damn good phones. They are really underated. If you want loads of apps and a flashy UI then go buy an iPhone.

If you are looking for rock solid reliable and easy to use then BlackBerry OS7.1 is for you (and me).
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    07-03-12 03:26 PM
    Mobile Hotspot alone is worth updating to 7.1. It's helped me out numerous times.
    07-03-12 03:52 PM
    I love my 9810 and 7.1 gives me everything I personally will ever need The 9900s are nice too, I just prefer having the bigger screen as my eyes ain't getting any younger. So far 7.1 just runs smooth as silk, I think I pulled the battery twice on it since January when I got it. It's very quick and responsive, what's not to like and yeah the trackpad is like a weapon
    07-03-12 05:45 PM
    oh yeah the Hotspot has made my phone
    shine many times.
    My friend with a Sprint iPhone4s couldn't get internet where we were at and I turned on Hotspot and said hey turn on ur wifi an use my internet." He was like wow u can do that with a BlackBerry"
    Also my girls Galaxy S2 for some reason sometimes doesn't get internet. This is her second one with the same problem and shes always telling me to turn on Hotspot.
    its a good Smartphone Feature in 7.1

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-03-12 07:03 PM
    The 9900 is so good that, unfortunately for RIM, I've stopped looking forward to future models. BB10 sounds very promising, but it will take a lot for me to replace my 9900 as my daily driver, especially without a trackpad. We shall see.
    07-03-12 07:30 PM
    you are right about the camera. that was a mistake. however, i have had plenty of touchscreen only phone and let me tell you, when the virtual keyboard pops ups, you are working with actually LESS screen real estate than with a blackberry. this is annoying especially when you are following a conversation. with the virtual keyboards you have to keep hiding the keyboard to see a few lines of conversation . the small screen on the blackberry is static, you always have that much screen, regardless of if you are composing a message or just looking at a picture/video/app. it's a give and take situation, but since i MOSTLY text/message/email on my phone, ill take the static blackberry screen anytime!
    07-04-12 12:23 PM
    If they're not flying off the shelves why do we get our OS's before all the other models. I don't know the numbers but see more people here have Bold 99XX's than other models.
    07-04-12 12:50 PM
    ......Ohh and I think 7.1 is great. The later the OS's the better they have been for me.

*i may have skipped a couple though.
    07-04-12 12:54 PM
    Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I love my 9900 its a real workhorse. Its smooth and responsive the browser is much improved and. the hot-spot kicks (I have a 6gb data plan).

Although apps have a ways to go you have to admit Alec Saunders has done some good work in the last year, pretty big improvement.

I'll miss the trackpad in BB10, but I'll get over it.

I used to hate RIM (Bought BB Storm at launch, dont ask), I thought OS4 & OS5 was horrible. However they got me back on side with the 9900.

IMO RIM is paying for past sins. I think they are on the road to redemption now.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-11-12 09:15 PM
    I definitely believe most of the hate comes form the storm 1 crowd. Personally my storm 2 was GREAT. I'm actually back on it since my torch 9850 randomly died on me 3 days ago. she's still decent for a 3 year old device haha. Ever since the storm 1 people hated on them they just keep spreading their hate to others. I have people who have NEVER used blackberry tell me they hate BB because it is so slow and the browser sucks.

Everytime someone tells me a story about how much their blackberry sucked and that they are so outdated and just really hating on them, I stop them and ask... let me guess. You owned a storm 1. EVERY time the answer has been yes. Without fail. And this has been atleast 40 times. So I am one of those believers that the storm 1 has been the killer for RIM. Great concept poor execution. Should have just waited and released the storm 2 as the storm. It's a MUCH better phone.
    07-11-12 10:30 PM
    I recently got myself a Bold 9790 (and updated it to 7.1) and found the stock web browser pretty lackluster, compared to those on my previous iOS and Android phones. Pages were slow to load, and using the app drains the battery rather quickly. Tried Opera Mini but it doesn't seem any better.

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving the experience?
    07-12-12 04:22 AM
    It's the same mentality that would put a soccer Mom who has never set foot outside suburbia in a Hummer to go grocery shopping. Witnessed a fake tanned blonde, with more plastic inside her body than a cheap garden furniture set, attempt to park one the other day.....hilarious. Same as watching some ultra cool dude try to manage a bookbag, a drink and a Note on the Metro....almost died laughing. Poor guy couldn't put it in his jeans and hang on to the train while also hanging on to this drink.
    07-12-12 04:33 AM
    Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I love my 9900 its a real workhorse. Its smooth and responsive the browser is much improved and. the hot-spot kicks (I have a 6gb data plan).

Although apps have a ways to go you have to admit Alec Saunders has done some good work in the last year, pretty big improvement.

I'll miss the trackpad in BB10, but I'll get over it.

I used to hate RIM (Bought BB Storm at launch, dont ask), I thought OS4 & OS5 was horrible. However they got me back on side with the 9900.

IMO RIM is paying for past sins. I think they are on the road to redemption now.
    If your first BB experience was a Storm, then the dislike is clearly understood (no offense intended toward any happy Storm users). RIM really didn't understand touch screens at the time, and BBOS wasn't well suited for the touch screen experience -- although it has improved greatly since the Storm, and I expect they will be applying lessons learned to BB10.

I don't think we're ever going to see the app situation improve much for legacy BBOS, because it is still a p.i.a. to develop for. But we're already seeing huge strides toward rectifying that, and I think we'll see a very different BB app experience in BB10.

But your last line there says it all and seems to be lost on all the analysts, bloggers, journalists, investors, and CB's negative nancy's still calling for heads to roll. The current business and stock situation is not the result of anything that has happened in the last month, six months, or two years. It is the logical result of missteps taken five years ago. Thorsten did an excellent job of explaining it in one of last week's many interviews, and without throwing anyone under the bus, I might add.

Anyway, to tie this all in, BB7 is definitely a decent bridge between the old BB and the new. I still say its biggest detractors are those who haven't used it and think it's just BB6 with new icons. If BB10 turns out to be not exactly what I want in a phone, I'll have no problem sticking with BB7.
    07-12-12 07:56 AM
    I want to return to the point where if I see something I want to do - I can do it on a BlackBerry. To continue to flog the same list of apps and abilities over and over again serves no purpose but to make a lot of folks mad.

I have been with BB long enough (since the 7520) to remember a day when BB was THE platform and if you saw something - you knew it worked with your BB. That hasn't been true for a long time now and I want very much to return to those days, hopefully that day is January 2013 (PS Thor - my birthday is the 17th so if lauch would be on or before - that would really suit, even if it requires a trip to Europe).
    Last edited by randall2580; 07-12-12 at 08:11 AM.
    07-12-12 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD