Hey I know where that is on that picture
    03-18-09 11:22 PM
    It seems that after awhile I have to go through and do the whole thing again
    anybody else?
    03-19-09 12:00 AM
    When I upgraded to .109 on my Verizon Storm, it just started working. I didn't have to switch any settings.
    As the title says... TELUS, not VERIZON different carrier dude

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 01:20 AM
    philadelphia flyers
    Last edited by petrong1186; 03-19-09 at 01:33 AM.
    03-19-09 01:30 AM
    THANKS A BUNNCCHHHH... i had my phone for over three months and always wondered why google couldnt get this to work... and its the only thing that pissed me off about the storm. well i dont care anymore as long as it work lol
    03-19-09 10:37 AM
    re: telus portal, telus web, telus mobile tv and radio.

thats all junk anyways, you can get rid of those things easily so theyre not cluttering up your storm. you can put em back if you ever decide you need one. then you or your drunk friend cant actually subscribe to them accidentally.

--

@ spektakle: i dont think telus or bell blocked it. this is a conflict as a result of our being on a CDMA network, and the location aiding information gmaps is trying to use from our network being unusable for w/e reason. i think.

the only thing telus did wrong (imo afaik) was not letting people know that

a) they might have some issues getting GPS to work with certain applications. i think because they know all about this stuff they should be letting customers know.

b) that there are free apps for GPS if you go look. im sure many people simply subscribe to Telus' service because they dont know how GPS works, ie the signals are free and you have a reciever in your phone.

as far as b goes, you wouldnt really expect anything else from them, theyre in business to make money.

if you want to blame someone, cast your gaze towards google. (again imo afaik)

on googles help site their response to someone asking about it was were working on it. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that if i could figure out how to make it work in 4 hours, with no training, and having owned my first blackberry for 3 days, they already knew the workaround before w/e version made it possible was released. now im not sure if theyre working on it, they claim they are, i give them the benefit of the doubt. perhaps theyre even working hard on it.

the thing is, this fix isnt extremely complicated, and if you really want satellite maps with GPS tracking on your phone then youd probly rather have had someone tell you about this method than wait god only knows how long till they update again with this problem fixed. furthermore, theres no guarantee they will ever make this work atall, and i dont just mean that they might not allocate the resources to fix their software, i mean it might be totally within the realm of RIMs locked out device. these things are built to function one way and one way only. we may never see this feature enabled on this model.

so i think they should be posting about this on their site, so more people can find it. im sure a ton of people in western canada are on telus/bell and cant use their gmaps on their brand new top of the line 600 dollar device.

how do i erase telus navigator?
    03-19-09 05:30 PM
    its cause telus and bell block the ip er somthing for google maps because of security issues. its in another post on these forums. that and they want you to use their pay app. lets hope they undouchbag themselves.
    03-19-09 06:45 PM
    I think there's more to it than that, my bf has the curve with Telus and roomie has the pearl, GPS works perfectly fine on their google maps.
    03-19-09 07:23 PM
    @sk1tz0:

how do i erase telus navigator?

to get rid of any of those telus icons that try to make u buy services (i got rid of em so noone accidentally opens it)

goto options, advanced options, service book

highlight w/e u want to get rid of, then menu/delete. go check it should be gone from your d/l folder.,
    03-27-09 08:55 PM
    Anybody figure out how to make this a permanant fix?
    Or do we have to wait for Google Maps to release a new version for Telus/Bell users so we can have an accurate Google Maps?
    03-29-09 11:12 PM
    I'm with VZW and GPS on google maps works when I switch to GMS... but when I go to Global it doesn't work anymore, it goes back to the blue circle.

At least I got happy for about 2 mins... thx and enjoy!!!
    03-30-09 12:58 AM
    Ah, this works great!
    Problem for me is that it randomly stops working (actually stops working �*I wait the 30 seconds, but doesn't kick back in, etc. � only way to get it back is to go through the process again).
    Anyone know a way to make this more permanent?
    k.
    05-05-09 11:59 AM
    Ok, this is by far the easiest and most effective way to fix the Gmaps problem. I love it because you don't have to mess around with registries or download shady firmware programs.

I would love to know of any permanent fixes if there are any. I mainly use Gmaps to locate things with Poynt, but I could live with this quick work around if I needed to use navigation. Kudos to all the contributors to the post.

07-22-09 05:46 PM
    This is straight from a Telus Tech:

Google maps uses a common IP port to access the gps on our system. We block this application in order to push subscriptions to Telus Navigator. Other third party apps aren't blocked because they use multiple IP ports to access the GPS. Bell users even though they share our network can access Google Maps because the network Port and IP has been allowed. It is unlikely that this will change with out multiple complaints so feel free to notify everyone to call or email tech support requesting access to Google Maps GPS.

If you complain here we may be able to stop this control of our devices:
    http /about.telus.com/cgi-bin/tcontactus.cgi
    ** Send complaints here **

Also he confirmed the new Network launch for mid October early November and the ability to purchase unlocked phones for use on telus once you receive your SIM card.

In case you were interested
    07-24-09 12:12 PM
    I just use SignalLoc.
    It has the option to "Show location on map" and Google Maps is the default
    07-24-09 01:45 PM
    If you want to cause a stir in Telus's hide we should all report Telus's singling out Google by blocking only that one application. Technically if they are going to block one free GPS application they should block them all or block none of them.

I wonder if Google could go after Telus as part of NAFTA?

File your complaints to Telus's ethics department regarding the unethical business practices they are using towards google.

To submit a ethics complaint go to Telus's website select About Telus then under values select Ethics policy. Then at the bottom of the Ethics policy page there is a link to the telus ethicspoint website. Then look on the right hand column then select your province and click on the click here. Then on the next page I selected "Concern" towards the bottom of the page. Then fill out the eform and click submit. (I would have submit the URL but I don't have a high enough post count to be able to post the link.

Maybe complaints via this method do us some good in getting Telus to change their business practices.

When I filled it out this is what I used:

My complaint is that I feel that Telus's business practices on its wireless network where by they are blocking the IP address used by Google maps. Is an unfair violation of my charter rights as a Canadian by removing my ability to freely choose what application I want to use on my blackberry that I paid for. I should not be forced to use an application that Telus wants me to use so that it drives up their revenue I should be given the opportunity to freely choose that application among other options available over the internet.

Since the Blackberry Storm was released Telus has released a new phone (the Tour) which from what I'm hearing the use of Google maps has not been blocked.

If this is the case then I feel that Telus is discriminating against me because I wanted to use a Blackberry Storm on their network and not an Apple Ipod on the Rogers network (a device that Google maps does work on too). I wanted to support a Canadian company by buying a RIM device to use on a Canadian Telecom companies network.

I would like to know why a company that claims to have good ethics is discriminating against its customers in such an unethical way.
    07-25-09 12:49 PM
    If you want to cause a stir in Telus's hide we should all report Telus's singling out Google by blocking only that one application. Technically if they are going to block one free GPS application they should block them all or block none of them.

I wonder if Google could go after Telus as part of NAFTA?

File your complaints to Telus's ethics department regarding the unethical business practices they are using towards google.

To submit a ethics complaint go to Telus's website select About Telus then under values select Ethics policy. Then at the bottom of the Ethics policy page there is a link to the telus ethicspoint website. Then look on the right hand column then select your province and click on the click here. Then on the next page I selected "Concern" towards the bottom of the page. Then fill out the eform and click submit. (I would have submit the URL but I don't have a high enough post count to be able to post the link.

Maybe complaints via this method do us some good in getting Telus to change their business practices.

When I filled it out this is what I used:

My complaint is that I feel that Telus's business practices on its wireless network where by they are blocking the IP address used by Google maps. Is an unfair violation of my charter rights as a Canadian by removing my ability to freely choose what application I want to use on my blackberry that I paid for. I should not be forced to use an application that Telus wants me to use so that it drives up their revenue I should be given the opportunity to freely choose that application among other options available over the internet.

Since the Blackberry Storm was released Telus has released a new phone (the Tour) which from what I'm hearing the use of Google maps has not been blocked.

If this is the case then I feel that Telus is discriminating against me because I wanted to use a Blackberry Storm on their network and not an Apple Ipod on the Rogers network (a device that Google maps does work on too). I wanted to support a Canadian company by buying a RIM device to use on a Canadian Telecom companies network.

I would like to know why a company that claims to have good ethics is discriminating against its customers in such an unethical way.

Well I have a Tour and this "Fix" doesn't work for me, nor can I use Google maps, and yet what blows my mind is Telus advertising their phones using Google Maps.... WTF!
    09-06-09 10:47 PM
    I try this version Google Maps. I don't know the difference with the original version on m.google.com/Maps but this one work's

See this post Google Maps 4.* OTA
    09-09-09 11:09 AM
    I try this version Google Maps. I don't know the difference with the original version on m.google.com/Maps but this one work's

See this post Google Maps 4.* OTA
    Looks like thats just version 3.0.2 the same version that is already on most peoples phones already. Check yourversion before you bother to d/l it. I will be sending in my complaint to the ethics link in the earlier post, and as a shareholder, I feel it is my duty to call the company on unethical behavior anyway.
    09-09-09 02:42 PM
    All I did to get google maps on my telus storm was go to

options>advanced options>GPS

and turned off location aiding.
    09-23-09 09:54 AM
    I installed the latest 5.0 leak .230 and it just works for me now!

09-23-09 08:54 PM
    I just use SignalLoc.
    It has the option to "Show location on map" and Google Maps is the default
    Do you have the link for SignalLoc? I'm with Bell carrier as well, and I can't get my Google Maps to work with .230 OS.

Anybody with Bell carrier and got Google Maps to work with .230 OS?
    09-24-09 10:08 AM
    Here you go...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/sign.../signalloc.jad

Thanks to Habious.

Hit the BB keyfor the option to display your exact position on Google maps app.

BTW AmazeGPS has been updated and works well.
    More accurate than Google Maps.
    09-24-09 11:46 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD