As much as I like the display on my Passport with its LCD screen and kicka** resolution, it still imho doesn't look as good as my old Z30 display even in 720p lol. The colours seem to pop more not to mention the blacks are true black. When blackberry finally releases the new slider I'm hoping it will be a oled screen.

My question is what does the Crackberry nation prefer? LCD or OLED?

Loving my Passport!
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    04-25-15 04:09 PM
    I prefer LED over LCD myself.

I just switched from Q10 to the Z10, and the difficulty in sun light readability of the screen is quite substantial. I have to turn up the brightness way over to be able to use in direct sunlight. Whereas with my Q10, it was very easily readable even under direct sunlight with the minimal brightness setting.

And then there is the issue of battery life.

Some people may argue that the Passport and the Classic already have good enough battery life, but battery life is something you cannot have "too much" of. Imagine even longer battery life in your passport and classic with the use of amoled screens.

On that note, what is the difference between oled and amoled screens?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 04:56 PM
    As much as I like the display on my Passport with its LCD screen and kicka** resolution, it still imho doesn't look as good as my old Z30 display even in 720p lol. The colours seem to pop more not to mention the blacks are true black. When blackberry finally releases the new slider I'm hoping it will be a oled screen.

My question is what does the Crackberry nation prefer? LCD or OLED?

Loving my Passport!
    You mirror my thoughts perfectly.

My Passport's screen is bright and sharp, certainly, but next to the Z30 it replaces, it looks washed out and dull, and not as much sharper as it's comparative dpi number should make it, having all those LCD-isms, like light bleeding and colours that shift with viewing angle.

I have hopes for a second generation Passport with a high resolution thin film Super (...meaning it has the capacitive digitiser integrated right into it, instead of it being a separate diffusing overlay on top) AMOLED display. (EDIT: For the one who asked: the "AM" in AMOLED stands for Active Matrix, and means there are transistors right on the substrate, to drive the LEDs, and offers better refresh rates, and needs slightly less complex driver circuitry than a passive display. It is roughly to OLED what "TFT" is to LCD.)
    I'm speculating that IF the substrate has enough tensile strength and is bonded directly to the glass, we could do away with the black bezels around it (EDIT: ...where the glue that adheres the glass to the device sits), and extend it all the way to where the rounding off of the glass edges begin, giving us an additional 4mm of viewscreen width and height, without making the device as a whole any larger. Not a lot, but every little bit helps - it is the difference between the width of a 6.5 and a 6.8 inch 9:16 device.

It would mean you couldn't replace broken glass, without also replacing the screen, which is unfortunate from a repairability standpoint, but I think it a worthy sacrifice.

Being that those displays are bendy, one could also make it taller than 1:1 and let it flex in, toward the bottom of the device, so that it extends behind the keyboard. Then you could have keycaps with a core of an extruded fibreglass bundle material, that would bring the image to their fronts, offering dynamic glyphs.
    With each key having a cushion of a soft conductive material at the corners on the back, the touch sensitive screen beneath the keys could conceivably supplant the current multi-component mechanical key mechanisms, and they could be embedded in a single compound membrane with monostable structures providing the springy action.

Yes; I really, really, really want to be rid of that virtual supplementary keyboard. :7

Of course; if one take away the virtual row, it would be really nice to have more keys to replace it - especially for those of us who want quick access to what extra-a-to-z characters may be used locally (EDIT: ...and who want the zero in the right place .
    I tried some copy-and-pasting, to see what a four row, same-size keys (in the same non-staggered grid), but not one bit larger, Passport would look like and it really loses quite a bit of its aestetic appeal -- I have been quite unable to get over just how much better the PP looks in real life than on pictures, and my attempt shows how much of the prettiness lies in the proportions of allotted surfaces - proportions that are thrown out of whack by giving more vertical space to the keyboard.

Still; from a functionality point of view, I believe it could have merits, including the location I gave the space bar. :9

( No shift keys: only swipe-downs. QWE column to select the numerals keymap (stays on numerals, instead of jumping back to alfa after entering one character), RTYU for alfa (maybe with repeated swipes toggling caps lock - lower- or upper upper case characters are show accordingly), IOP for a succession of special character maps.)

(EDIT: The AMOLED screen is the blue part, in the picture)

No space left for the selfie cam, at the top... Really speculating now: IF the substrate is translucent enough, from behind, one could place a plenoptic array camera there (thin - not having as much of a lens array), and let the software compensate for the substrate structure and whatever discolourations active display pixels may add. If placed a third of the way down the screen (where the red arrow is), we could have the first conference camera that lets you look properly into the eyes of the person on the other end. :P

OLED or LCD?-pp4row.jpg
    Last edited by jojon2se; 04-25-15 at 06:04 PM.
    04-25-15 05:47 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp4row.jpg 
Views:	1298 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	349461
    Love the 4 row Passport but the spacebar has got to be on the bottom!

As for AMOLED vs LCD both have come a long way. You can't really tell the difference day to day unless they are side to side. I vote for whatever gives me more battery life.

 Q10 on 10.3.1.2582 
    04-25-15 10:04 PM
    OLED brighter colors and better blacks.

  
    04-26-15 12:57 AM
    I prefer LCD. Had the Q10 and screen was hard to read in the sunlight. Both my Classic and Z10 were better. Colors were truer too. Never liked the display on the Q10.

Posted via Classic
    04-26-15 10:31 AM
    I personally like OLEDs better because the larger color gamut but there is one serious issue with OLEDs that I don't like and that they trouble displaying a uniform color in low intensity areas. This is because each pixel is not an exact copy of each other and differ due to the manufacturing process. You can try it yourself, make your entire OLEDs screen dark gray and you will see that the color is not uniform, this despite you have no burn ins. LCD on the other hand can display uniform colors without any problems. This isn't a big problem for mobiles but for desktop displays this can be annoying.
    04-26-15 10:55 AM
    I personally like OLEDs better because the larger color gamut but there is one serious issue with OLEDs that I don't like and that they trouble displaying a uniform color in low intensity areas. This is because each pixel is not an exact copy of each other and differ due to the manufacturing process. You can try it yourself, make your entire OLEDs screen dark gray and you will see that the color is not uniform, this despite you have no burn ins. LCD on the other hand can display uniform colors without any problems. This isn't a big problem for mobiles but for desktop displays this can be annoying.
    Larger colour gamut and "infinite" contrast levels are the main reasons I like OLED over LCD. LCDs also have a tendency to "halo" in certain circumstances.

Loving my Passport!
    04-26-15 02:44 PM
    I started a thread when the passport first came out essentially saying the same thing. I love oled.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 02:54 PM
    OLED has made huge strides of late. The latest panel on the galaxy S6 is brighter than even the iPhone with great colour accuracy as well.

OLED is definitely the future. Everything is better except the white temperature but that is not noticeable without side by side comparisons.
    04-26-15 03:08 PM
    AMOLED hands down, great displays, and the things you can do with pixels compared to LCD is great, the old Nokia Sleeping screen on Symbian AMOLED devices for example
    04-26-15 03:10 PM
    OLED has made huge strides of late. The latest panel on the galaxy S6 is brighter than even the iPhone with great colour accuracy as well.

OLED is definitely the future. Everything is better except the white temperature but that is not noticeable without side by side comparisons.
    Oled hasn't been making huge strides lately, the Super Amoled screens have. The galaxy s6 has Samsung's Super Amoled screen and it's really evolved over the years

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 03:28 PM
    I suppose it was and is still just a matter of opinion but this was one of the things I felt like I was 'missing' coming from the Z30 to the Passport. (The other being a separate HDMI port).

The clock in bedside mode looked so sweet with the OLED screen, in comparison. And all of the 'dark theme' stuff actually had a purpose other than just looking cool. I still use the dark theme everywhere that I can, but I've heard that it actually may take more energy for an LCD to produce black which is the opposite of why I started using them. But now I like the look too much, I can't switch back.

Both displays 'look' great to me, but it comes down to the battery life... and I would sacrifice a little bit of display 'quality' for longer battery life any day. And, I don't know that LCD has any advantage other than it can be blindingly bright. How many people ever have the brightness cranked all the way up, anyway? Probably none of us, because we are all wanting to get as much out of the battery as possible. If the 'Slider' is really using the exact screen as the Samsung S6 Edge, then it will be super AMOLED which I am happy about.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    pttptppt and Sulaco757 like this.
    04-26-15 03:49 PM
    I prefer the Z30 AMOLED over the Z10 LCD.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-26-15 04:14 PM
    I suppose it was and is still just a matter of opinion but this was one of the things I felt like I was 'missing' coming from the Z30 to the Passport. (The other being a separate HDMI port).

The clock in bedside mode looked so sweet with the OLED screen, in comparison. And all of the 'dark theme' stuff actually had a purpose other than just looking cool. I still use the dark theme everywhere that I can, but I've heard that it actually may take more energy for an LCD to produce black which is the opposite of why I started using them. But now I like the look too much, I can't switch back.

Both displays 'look' great to me, but it comes down to the battery life... and I would sacrifice a little bit of display 'quality' for longer battery life any day. And, I don't know that LCD has any advantage other than it can be blindingly bright. How many people ever have the brightness cranked all the way up, anyway? Probably none of us, because we are all wanting to get as much out of the battery as possible. If the 'Slider' is really using the exact screen as the Samsung S6 Edge, then it will be super AMOLED which I am happy about.

You reckon that makes the Z-lider an automatic default buy, lol.... ;-)

  Have a blessed ANZAC Day ....  
    04-26-15 07:45 PM

I already started a new BlackBerry savings account. Lol

Loving my Passport!
    04-26-15 08:52 PM

My wife is going to kill me. When I bought the Passport I had to buy her a new laptop to prove that new technology is useful and sometimes necessary. I don't have anything left to argue why I need a slider over the Passport. Any suggestions?

04-26-15 08:56 PM
    Definitely the Super AMOLED screen of the Z30 over the LCD of the Z10.

The Z10 screen looks a bit washed out next to the Z30.

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    04-26-15 09:33 PM
    I like that LCDs can get darker then Oled, and they are better for the day as well

"Correct me grammar fascists! I'm ready!"
    04-26-15 09:49 PM
    I like that LCDs can get darker then Oled, and they are better for the day as well

"Correct me grammar fascists! I'm ready!"
    Actually it's OLED that produces truer dark than LCDs.

Loving my Passport!
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    04-28-15 03:58 PM
    OLED looks better for me but it's really hard to read under full sunlight, so I would vote for the LCD.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    04-28-15 06:16 PM

Nailed it.

Good luck with the wife. My only chance for hands on with a Zlider is to buy my wife one. Same thing happened with her Z30. She thought I was spying on her, when really I just wanted to play with BlackBerry's best all touch.

 Q10 on 10.3.1.2582 
    04-28-15 09:26 PM
    But it thought they say Z30 is not as bright as Z10?

Yet I hear people here saying that OLED is brighter?

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    04-29-15 12:46 PM
    But it thought they say Z30 is not as bright as Z10?

Yet I hear people here saying that OLED is brighter?
    There is some confusion, yes. :7

LCD screens typically output more light, just as you say -- OLEDs tend to be (EDIT: ...deliberately...) driven dimmer, to prevent them from burning out too quickly.

The, at first glance mistaken, comment about LCD managing darker than OLED (which offers much darker blacks), could refer to linearity at the bottom of the lumiance scale: Without colour correction, OLED displays (don't know how much things have improved in recent months) may present a greater difference between 000000 and 010101, than it should -- possibly down to conduction voltage thresholds.

As a matter of fact, I just now, for the first time, managed to notice the infamous OLED "black smear", or "step-up" effect on my Z30. I was displaying a picture of vertical R, G, B, and White gradients, separated by black, on the Z30 and Passport, side by side, and could clearly see how, on the Z30, the darkest parts, progressively towards black, took a few milliseconds to light up, when scrolling side to side, making the green bar in particular look kind of like it was wearing a billowing skirt, where the bar it got thinner on the leading edge, whilst in motion.

That said; knowing all the "classic" cons to OLED technology, at least up until the Z30, I'd still choose it over LCD any day: The advantages overshadow outweigh the disadvantages (EDIT: ...IMHO, of course ).
    Last edited by jojon2se; 04-29-15 at 03:42 PM.
    04-29-15 03:23 PM
    My wife is going to kill me. When I bought the Passport I had to buy her a new laptop to prove that new technology is useful and sometimes necessary. I don't have anything left to argue why I need a slider over the Passport. Any suggestions?

Tell her the devil made you do it... or that you're a techno-wh0re... and have a newer laptop ready just in case ;-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    04-29-15 06:27 PM