Hi guys,

I have been in love with BB Bold years ago and had to switch to Android. I have not been happy with a lot of its functionality and would really want to go back to BB, namely Q10. There is just the lack of clarity of using Android apps that is holding me back from doing it straight away. Could you please shed some light on the following questions for me?

I really need to use the following apps:
    - Gmail
    - Google maps and Navigation
    - Feedly
    - Google Finance
    - Google Translate
    - Playchess.com
    - Google Drive

Is there a way to use these apps on Q10? And if so, what do I have to do to get them working? What if I wanted other apps from Android (like public transport ticket ordering here in Prague, CZ, EU)?

Thanks for your help, I really hope I can make the switch to Q10, the Android calendar, reta**ed copy paste and SMS unfriendly features to just name a few are completely killing me..
    02-14-14 04:49 AM
    Hi guys,

I have been in love with BB Bold years ago and had to switch to Android. I have not been happy with a lot of its functionality and would really want to go back to BB, namely Q10. There is just the lack of clarity of using Android apps that is holding me back from doing it straight away. Could you please shed some light on the following questions for me?

- Gmail
    - Feedly
    - Google Finance
    - Google Translate
    - Playchess.com
    - Google Drive

Is there a way to use these apps on Q10? And if so, what do I have to do to get them working? What if I wanted other apps from Android (like public transport ticket ordering here in Prague, CZ, EU)?

Thanks for your help, I really hope I can make the switch to Q10, the Android calendar, reta**ed copy paste and SMS unfriendly features to just name a few are completely killing me..
    I can't answer for all of the apps you need but I'm sure someone will chime in with specifics. For the most part you will absolutely have access if you get a Q10 running 10.2.1 or install the OS. Then you have access to the Amazon App Store and Snap (where you can download Android apps directly). On the Q10 some can be tricky to run right due to screen size. Regardless, Q10 is amazing. I'd definitely check out the Z30 to though as its a beast and the virtual keyboard is like no other.

You definitely came to the right forums. Someone will direct you to exact answers and simplified instructions.

I simply use my phone for superior communication, BBM (from before went cross platform), and smooth OS/User Interface.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-14-14 05:17 AM
    I'm not sure for all of them but I have 5 Gmail accounts, 2 yahoo and 2 Hotmail accounts in BlackBerry Hub. I also have Translator - express suite app which support both Google translate and bing translate and it is free and best translator app. I will wait for other people to answer your other app questions.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 05:52 AM
    Google maps works. It's a little slow to render and you can't save any of your locations (can't use google services) but it works.
    02-14-14 05:54 AM
    Not sure finance and drive will work without Google services, Gmail is not a problem, and the rest should be available through Snap. Translate is available through the browser.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 08:54 AM
    I can't answer for all of the apps you need but I'm sure someone will chime in with specifics. For the most part you will absolutely have access if you get a Q10 running 10.2.1 or install the OS. Then you have access to the Amazon App Store and Snap (where you can download Android apps directly). On the Q10 some can be tricky to run right due to screen size. Regardless, Q10 is amazing. I'd definitely check out the Z30 to though as its a beast and the virtual keyboard is like no other.

You definitely came to the right forums. Someone will direct you to exact answers and simplified instructions.

I simply use my phone for superior communication, BBM (from before went cross platform), and smooth OS/User Interface.

Well I will be buying a new Q10. Does that have the 10.2.1 or is there some issue that some Q10s cant have it? So Snap and AmazonAppStore is like a version of Google Play for Blackberry?

I do want a HW keyboard, I never really became attached to virtual keybs

why would one use BBM over SMS texting? I never used it on my old Bold, didnt understand its advantages..

I'm not sure for all of them but I have 5 Gmail accounts, 2 yahoo and 2 Hotmail accounts in BlackBerry Hub. I also have Translator - express suite app which support both Google translate and bing translate and it is free and best translator app. I will wait for other people to answer your other app questions.

Posted via CB10
    Do Gmail labels work in BBHub? I do not need them as labels, directories would work just fine for me as long as they sync into labels so the changes made on the mobile are reflected on desktop gmail..

Does that translator app allow you to download offline languages? Can you use voice input as well?

Google maps works. It's a little slow to render and you can't save any of your locations (can't use google services) but it works.
    Great news, I dont use location anyway, Im that sort of a paranoid bloke..

Not sure finance and drive will work without Google services, Gmail is not a problem, and the rest should be available through Snap. Translate is available through the browser.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately using google translate through a browser is very inferior to using it as an app.. not a real substitute Im afraid.. I use it quite often..
    02-14-14 10:54 AM
    why would one use BBM over SMS texting? I never used it on my old Bold, didnt understand its advantages..
    Because it's more fluid, more full featured and more reliable, especially across borders.
    Do Gmail labels work in BBHub?
    I don't know because I don't use Gmail anymore, but I will say that Remember gives us something far more sophisticated than simple labels.
    Does that translator app allow you to download offline languages? Can you use voice input as well?
    Are you talking about SayIt? It's better at translation than Google, and I use it a lot. Yes, you can talk to it in any language.

Once you get used to the BerryFlow, you won't miss that intrusive Google stuff at all.
    02-14-14 01:52 PM
    Translate Express from BlackBerry World uses google translate and is quite slick.

Google Maps worked easily as well as my buddy's S4 when we direct compared. Difference being that you cannot 'sign in' on it.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 02:10 PM
    If you need Google A to Z, then keep your Android device, because that is what you need. BB10 allows the use of most android apps, but not Google services. If your willing to use a few different apps to accomplish the same thing, and your looking for the awesomeness of BB10, then jump on board.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 02:20 PM
    [QUOTE=tmoris;10002204]Well I will be buying a new Q10. Does that have the 10.2.1 or is there some issue that some Q10s cant have it? So Snap and AmazonAppStore is like a version of Google Play for Blackberry?

I do want a HW keyboard, I never really became attached to virtual keybs

10.2.1 is the BlackBerry OS Version. Depending on your carrier, it might be out. Most US carriers haven't rolled it out yet, so you'd have to load it and then, yes Snap and Amazon App Store are like versions of Google Play that allow you to download Android Apps straight to the Q10. So whether you have 10.2.1 pushed out or you download the leak you need to download Snap and/or Amazon.

With respect to BBM, I've had a company BlackBerry phone for many years. It wasn't that long ago that the idea of free texts didn't exist and there weren't 3rd party apps. We communicated over BBM like mad, especially to our businesses Canadian affiliate. So BBM being free and cross country made it super appealing.

02-14-14 04:47 PM
    Get the Z30 .You will be happy.
    02-14-14 07:46 PM
    Translate Express from BlackBerry World uses google translate and is quite slick.

Google Maps worked easily as well as my buddy's S4 when we direct compared. Difference being that you cannot 'sign in' on it.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to take this off topic but I've been using FancyTran for my translation app. It uses google too and is also integrated so that when I highlight text, tap the share option instead of copy, the app comes up as an option. Limits a lot of steps. Does translate express do the same? The reason I ask, is that the only gripe I have is the length of text you can translate at once and would like the option for more.
    02-14-14 08:02 PM
    Drive does not work but there are so many free cloud options on BlackBerry that, I havent looked back. I have a chromebook to which is strange but it works out.

Red Zed 10
    02-14-14 08:06 PM
    Feedly works like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 10:06 PM
    Sorry to take this off topic but I've been using FancyTran for my translation app. It uses google too and is also integrated so that when I highlight text, tap the share option instead of copy, the app comes up as an option. Limits a lot of steps. Does translate express do the same? The reason I ask, is that the only gripe I have is the length of text you can translate at once and would like the option for more.
    Pops up on the share menu. I think that's what you mean, right?

Oldschool BBer coming back from Android (hopefully)-img_20140214_201323.png

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-14-14 10:14 PM
    Cool. Thanks. I might give it a try then.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    02-14-14 10:40 PM
    I didn't even know it did this until you asked. I may use this now. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-15-14 12:17 AM
    I dont intend to offend but I was just wondering if you were "paranoid" as you mentioned yourself (like me) about location services, why do you use google products?

You do know that microsoft had a huge campaign making fun of the g mail man going through all your mail.

Or about google maps/world being able to zoom into your back yard?

Google's core business is centered on information gathering and data mining. They are afterall a search engine.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 01:33 AM
    For maps why do people ignore Waze?
    It's available from BlackBerry World and works perfectly. It uses Google maps as the database and provides turn by turn navigation. It also shows live traffic information.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 01:37 AM
    For maps why do people ignore Waze?
    It's available from BlackBerry World and works perfectly. It uses Google maps as the database and provides turn by turn navigation. It also shows live traffic information.

Posted via CB10
    Its not available on Q10 only Z10 and Z30. And the version of waze in BlackBerry app world is so outdated. They stopped supporting BlackBerry after google bought them.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 01:42 AM
    Thank you everyone for feedback, seems there is no stopping me from returning then!

One last question for now, can I get my Google Calendar synced into the Q10 Calendar?
    02-15-14 01:45 AM
    Thank you everyone for feedback, seems there is no stopping me from returning then!

One last question for now, can I get my Google Calendar synced into the Q10 Calendar?
    Yes, not a problem. :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 02:22 AM
    I guess you need to stay in android, OP if you rely on people's ideas.

You should know and ready what to lose, what you will get, or know some alternatives before moving.

Those apps you have mentioned above has replacements but doesn't work the same in BlackBerry 10 platform.

In short, it's still up to you.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 02:35 AM

Just add your gmail account and select calendar sync. Easy peasy
    02-15-14 04:09 AM
    Hi guys,

- Gmail
    - Feedly
    - Google Finance
    - Google Translate
    - Playchess.com
    - Google Drive

So bottom line is, you're heavily invested into Google services. Unfortunately that isn't the best premise to switch to BlackBerry.
    02-15-14 05:21 AM
35 12