09-20-19 12:29 PM
    Even over there it’s a puzzled joke. Imagine all the recycled BB10 hardware...
    09-20-19 12:58 PM
    I sorta checked out blackberryclubs.com....

Most recent "hot news" is on the Galaxy Z40, some tech conferences that have nothing to do with BlackBerry and some reviews on shoes?

Latest BlackBerry article seems to be from last December... that was on the BBMo products.

That last article on the front page of their site for BB10... was from 2016.

But they still have a 10% discount story for shopblackberry.com on their front page....

Bottom line this isn't a very active site.... maybe there is more going on in the Members only area?
    bbfanfan likes this.
    09-20-19 01:47 PM
    maybe there is more going on in the Members only area?
    Of course but whatever happens in the members only champagne room, stays in the members only champagne room.....

Unless you’re wearing the limited edition Members Only jacket...
    brookie229 likes this.
    09-20-19 01:51 PM
    I see someone beat me to it, interesting article. I too am seeing a surge of old BBOS/BB10 devices in yyc but mostly dual carry with ppl just interested in email, txt and phone.
    09-20-19 03:03 PM
    I see someone beat me to it, interesting article. I too am seeing a surge of old BBOS/BB10 devices in yyc but mostly dual carry with ppl just interested in email, txt and phone.
    A 9900 on BBOS that did not require BIS and with an upgraded processor and a browser would be a very cool device.
    bb9900user2018 and elfabio80 like this.
    09-20-19 03:45 PM
    Read the article from the link above and the only question I have is how the heck they can use WeChat on a Q10 (or any other BB10 device). AFAIK it just cannot be signed into .
    09-20-19 03:57 PM
    A 9900 on BBOS that did not require BIS and with an upgraded processor and a browser would be a very cool device.
    I believe that's exactly what john Chen wanted. Most people don't know they can still get BBOS/BB10 phones on ebay for ridiculously low prices.
    09-20-19 05:47 PM
    Read the article from the link above and the only question I have is how the heck they can use WeChat on a Q10 (or any other BB10 device). AFAIK it just cannot be signed into .
    what do you mean? their using some apk version of WeChat . Chinese apps don't rely on Google services so thats not an issue. I assume WeChat payment by QR codes is unaffected.
    09-20-19 06:13 PM
    I believe that's exactly what john Chen wanted. Most people don't know they can still get BBOS/BB10 phones on ebay for ridiculously low prices.
    He would have loved somebody to license BB10 like BBAndroid as long as the check included cost plus markup..
    09-20-19 06:16 PM
    what do you mean? their using some apk version of WeChat . Chinese apps don't rely on Google services so thats not an issue. I assume WeChat payment by QR codes is unaffected.
    So.....maybe if I could somehow find a Chinese apk for WeChat, I could get it working in my Passport? I have an account already and have it in my android phone but, of course, it won't work in the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    09-20-19 06:36 PM
    So.....maybe if I could somehow find a Chinese apk for WeChat, I could get it working in my Passport? I have an account already and have it in my android phone but, of course, it won't work in the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Should work. I'm unfamiliar with Chinese apps stores other than they can have alot malware but if you can read up on a reputable source for the Chinese WeChat apk, you should be fine. Contact the dude who runs the Chinese BB fan group.
    09-20-19 06:45 PM
    reputable source for the Chinese WeChat apk
    Alex I’ll take oxymorons for $1,000 and the win...
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-20-19 06:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Umm....isn't that the app the Chinese themselves avoid (or at least concerned ones) because of full-blown surveillence by that mysterious whoever it is over there, that engages in such intrusions into peoples daily lives? This time I'm pretty sure it isn't the Google oogle. That mysterious group even admitted capability to access deleted posts, who knows what else. Kinda why this thread exists in a round about way I think.
    09-20-19 07:09 PM
    Umm....isn't that the app the Chinese themselves avoid (or at least concerned ones) because of full-blown surveillence by that mysterious whoever it is over there, that engages in such intrusions into peoples daily lives? This time I'm pretty sure it isn't the Google oogle. That mysterious group even admitted capability to access deleted posts, who knows what else. Kinda why this thread exists in a round about way I think.
    Yes, WeChat is indeed an all-encompassing masterpiece of Chinese surveillance but my wife loves it. . I don't use my phone for any banking, buying of goods of any sort. The only thing I use it for is calls, texts, emails and web browsing and I have absolutely nothing interesting in my life to warrant spying/snooping/fraud/etc.
    09-20-19 07:15 PM
    He would have loved somebody to license BB10 like BBAndroid as long as the check included cost plus markup..
    I think the primary reason there were no takers for BB10 was licensing fees - Android is free to OEMs - and with such an overcrowded hardware market who would pay for an expensive OS - I wouldn't as a manufacturer of handheld devices, as much as I like BB10. BBL had to make it work like Apple but couldn't. I don't think John Chen is representative of the typical phone user anyway - what lingers in my mind as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) during the launch of the Keyone or Priv and he couldn't operate the device, in the middle of an interview - just brutal. Having said all that Microsoft is supposedly planning to re-enter the market again, I like that idea allot! Shake things up.
    dilijasi likes this.
    09-20-19 07:23 PM
    WeChat - whose listening?

Its early for Halloween, but it is a bit spooky that an authoritarian regime is marching parallel in lock-step with Facebook. Though Facebook biznose probably dream of WeChat's reach in their still, as yet private sleep. 9months prison for a joke. Thought crime. I Wonder who's laughing now, spin the wheel, a smiley will get you double or nothing.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 09-20-19 at 07:49 PM.
    09-20-19 07:24 PM
    Yes, WeChat is indeed an all-encompassing masterpiece of Chinese surveillance but my wife loves it. . I don't use my phone for any banking, buying of goods of any sort. The only thing I use it for is calls, texts, emails and web browsing and I have absolutely nothing interesting in my life to warrant spying/snooping/fraud/etc.
    WeChat - whose listening?

How do you know what mysterious others might find interesting about your life....even if you think its just humdrum. Knowledge is............sorry I'm not authorized to say.

....and yes, wives can sometimes be the achilles heal when it comes to such things....oblivious to things beyond basic creature comfort many of them are.
    (Nothing wrong with creature comfort all things being equal - Ceteris Paribus)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 09-20-19 at 07:51 PM.
    09-20-19 07:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Would also be very interested brookie229! Please let us know. If you could also post it in the Passport section as I no longer bother with the other ones. Good luck and Cheers,
    09-20-19 07:38 PM
    This story makes plenty of sense. I too unplug and switch over to my Passport. It does the job but but stops you from always looking at APPS and checking things. I find I use my Passport more and more and my Key2/8+/Priv less and less.
    09-20-19 07:46 PM
    Would also be very interested brookie229! Please let us know. If you could also post it in the Passport section as I no longer bother with the other ones. Good luck and Cheers,
    So on the one hand most chinese use wechat, on the other hand there is the subtle go offline draw.....(wouldn't use wechat here though for obvious reasons that @ChuckFinley69 alluded to above).

BlackBerry was once the internet in your hand, but now it's for people who want to go offline
    Students in China are buying old BlackBerry phones because new apps like TikTok don’t work on them
    09-20-19 08:07 PM
    Ok - it's as I thought. As far as I can tell (after trying several versions of NON-GOOGLE Play Store WeChat versions from Chinese websites) there is no way to get the app to work on a BB10 device. I call B.S. on that article above - either that or there is a geographical hurdle that cannot be overcome when trying to log in.
    09-20-19 09:18 PM
    There is one other possibility: You may be able to use Ver 6.3.13 ONLY if you have NEVER used a higher version of WeChat on an android device OR have never signed up previously with WeChat. There is a possibility that WeChat checks and verifies a phone number with a higher version. So when you try the lower 6.3.13 on a BB10 device your phone number and account is tied only to a higher version. This may prevent the sign in. In China, people (young people especially) may have been first time sign-ins on the Q10's that they are buying OR they may have purchased new sims with a never before log-in to WeChat. People over there tend to change numbers often as it's cheap.

As noted, the error code when trying to log in always mentions "too old version - please update.......etc" and this is a hint that WeChat already has your phone number associated with a higher app version. Anyway, I quit - my brain hurts.
    09-20-19 09:42 PM
    **basks in being on the front end of a trend for once**

Sigewif and idssteve like this.
    09-20-19 10:39 PM
    There is one other possibility: You may be able to use Ver 6.3.13 ONLY if you have NEVER used a higher version of WeChat on an android device OR have never signed up previously with WeChat. There is a possibility that WeChat checks and verifies a phone number with a higher version. So when you try the lower 6.3.13 on a BB10 device your phone number and account is tied only to a higher version. This may prevent the sign in. In China, people (young people especially) may have been first time sign-ins on the Q10's that they are buying OR they may have purchased new sims with a never before log-in to WeChat. People over there tend to change numbers often as it's cheap.

As noted, the error code when trying to log in always mentions "too old version - please update.......etc" and this is a hint that WeChat already has your phone number associated with a higher app version. Anyway, I quit - my brain hurts.
    That makes perfect sense! I have an Android account on my K2 tied to the same number. Thanks for testing! Much appreciated,
    09-20-19 10:43 PM
29 12