I have quite a few micro usb chargers hanging around in my house now from owning past phones with micro usb charging.
    micro
    When I connect it to the chargers from my past phones, my Q10 does indeed charge fine, but I want to know if I am risking any long term damage by doing that.

Since I just got a new Q10, I want to keep my battery good for a long time.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    riss89 likes this.
    03-25-14 01:14 AM
    USB chargers are all delivering the same voltage. Its the current they supply that varies. The device being charged will only take the amount of current it requires.

So, in answer to your question, yes you can use any charger and it wont harm your device but if the charger is'nt supplying enough current, then it will take much longer to charge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, bakron1 and riss89 like this.
    03-25-14 01:26 AM
    As long as you get at least 750mAH, yes you can

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:26 AM
    I use my dad's old Samsung phone. It works didn't have problem with it.

via Q10
    03-25-14 01:39 AM
    I've found the charger from my PlayBook works the best for my Z10STL100-3.

I get unbelievable battery life using it versus any of my BlackBerry chargers.

It works so well, I ordered another PlayBook charger, one for each device.

Posted via CB10 with AT&T Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1055
    03-25-14 04:11 AM

could you share the link to product?
    03-25-14 04:52 AM
    I purchased mine from eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271434129992?nav=SEARCH

03-25-14 04:58 AM
    Sometimes I really cut loose ..and use an iPhone 4s charger.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    03-25-14 05:03 AM
    Check the blog in 2012. It spells out in details.
    A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best
    When you buy a USB charger, how do you know if you're getting a safe, high-quality charger for your money? You can't tell from the outside if a charger provides silky-smooth power or if it is a dangerous charger that emits noisy power that cause touchscreen malfunctions[1] and could self-destruct. In this article, I carefully measure the performance of a dozen different chargers, rate their performance in multiple categories, and determine the winners and losers.......

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 05:41 AM
    Sometimes I really cut loose ..and use an iPhone 4s charger.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 05:50 AM
    Just to be more specific, my Q10 OEM charger is 1amp from BlackBerry.

I also recently bought a Dell tablet with a charger that is 5v & 2amp.

Would it be fine using the 2amp charger on the Q10 battery which is meant for 1amp?

Would there be increased wear on the phone battery for this?
    08-30-14 07:35 PM

It's the 2amp charger with the yellow tip.

Works well. But currently using the Z10/Q10 one with the battery bundle. Might swap and check how that combo (bundle+yellow charger) works...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-30-14 10:03 PM
    I've never actually used my native charger (see what I did there! Bazinga!!)

I've only used my old S2's or my GPad's...

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    08-31-14 04:56 AM
    Just to be more specific, my Q10 OEM charger is 1amp from BlackBerry.

I also recently bought a Dell tablet with a charger that is 5v & 2amp.

Would it be fine using the 2amp charger on the Q10 battery which is meant for 1amp?

Would there be increased wear on the phone battery for this?
    Read post #2 again.

You won't damage a battery by charging with a higher amperage charger... It'll just charge faster.

I used to use my Playbook charger (2A iirc) all the time to charge my phones. I now use a 2.5A charger to charge my iPads and phones faster than the stock charger.

Analogies are always a little suspect, but think of your battery as an empty barrel. You can fill it with water using a thin pipe (1A) or a fatter pipe (2A). It'll fill up with water faster if you use the fatter pipe, but regardless of which pipe you used the barrel will fill with water and the barrel doesn't care which pipe you used.
    darkehawke likes this.
    08-31-14 09:56 AM
    So I Playbook charger just charges your phone faster but does nothing else to provide extra battery life to the Z10 does it ?
    08-31-14 07:07 PM
    So I Playbook charger just charges your phone faster but does nothing else to provide extra battery life to the Z10 does it ?
    That would be correct.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-31-14 07:29 PM

To continue my water barrel analogy, the barrel is a fixed size. It doesn't matter how fast or slow it is filled, it can only hold the same amount of water when full. The barrel doesn't magically become bigger if you fill it faster (and neither does your Z10 battery hold more charge when it's charged faster)

To preempt the battery-damage question, batteries typically used have built in overcharge protection. When they are fully charged... They stop charging. You can't damage the battery by using a higher amperage charger, it'll just be fully charged sooner.
    09-01-14 03:14 AM
    I have been using off brand chargers on my BlackBerry and Apple devices for years and haven't had one battery and/or hardware issue.

I use an HTC charger in my office with cables for my z30 and my iPhone 5s and it actually charges the devices faster then the factory ones do.

Some phones like the iPhone 5s will give you a message saying the charger and/or cable is not compatible with the device and won't charge, so I always make sure I check to charger and cable with my device before I buy it.

Posted from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA using 10.3.0.1052
    skstrials likes this.
    09-01-14 04:06 AM
    Yeah... using non OEM chargers on iPhone can kill!!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    09-02-14 02:41 PM
    To continue my water barrel analogy, the barrel is a fixed size. It doesn't matter how fast or slow it is filled, it can only hold the same amount of water when full. The barrel doesn't magically become bigger if you fill it faster (and neither does your Z10 battery hold more charge when it's charged faster)

To preempt the battery-damage question, batteries typically used have built in overcharge protection. When they are fully charged... They stop charging. You can't damage the battery by using a higher amperage charger, it'll just be fully charged sooner.
    In that spirit, just a thought... may be some chargers don't recognize that the battery is full and continue to charge, so they overheat/overcharge?/burn?/explode??
    So if the battery doesn't trigger that, the charger has to be "secure"... BlackBerry always insists to use a BB-charger for the BB-devices... It can be marketing. It can be security/prevention.
    When in night shift and forgot my charger/battery bundle, I borrow a charger from my collegue using Samsung S2. I didn't encounter any problem, but I let it maximum 2 hours charging then unplug, even if my battery isn't fully charged.
    Who knows??

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-02-14 03:46 PM
    In that spirit, just a thought... may be some chargers don't recognize that the battery is full and continue to charge, so they overheat/overcharge?/burn?/explode??
    So if the battery doesn't trigger that, the charger has to be "secure"... BlackBerry always insists to use a BB-charger for the BB-devices... It can be marketing. It can be security/prevention.
    When in night shift and forgot my charger/battery bundle, I borrow a charger from my collegue using Samsung S2. I didn't encounter any problem, but I let it maximum 2 hours charging then unplug, even if my battery isn't fully charged.
    Who knows??

The overcharging protection is built into the battery, and is fairly reliable. If it wasn't, given the billions of batteries out there, there would be many exploding battery stories in the press. It can happen, but it's rare enough to hit the headlines when it does... And is likely due to manufacturing issues - a bad batch.

The *battery* will detect that the cell is "full" and stop taking charge from the charger. The charger is the dumb bit in the loop, the smarts is in the battery.

If you are nervous, charging for a couple of hours as you did will be OK. Modern batteries are more forgiving of partial charging than old NiCd batteries used to be... Though obviously it won't last as long because it's not fully charged.

If you are very nervous, stick to the charger that comes with your phone.
    09-02-14 04:12 PM
    The overcharging protection is built into the battery, and is fairly reliable. If it wasn't, given the billions of batteries out there, there would be many exploding battery stories in the press. It can happen, but it's rare enough to hit the headlines when it does... And is likely due to manufacturing issues - a bad batch.

The *battery* will detect that the cell is "full" and stop taking charge from the charger. The charger is the dumb bit in the loop, the smarts is in the battery.

If you are nervous, charging for a couple of hours as you did will be OK. Modern batteries are more forgiving of partial charging than old NiCd batteries used to be... Though obviously it won't last as long because it's not fully charged.

If you are very nervous, stick to the charger that comes with your phone.
    Only a "little bit" nervous ;-) but 2h of charging are okay when I borrow a charger if I've left mine at home ;-)

09-02-14 04:32 PM