couple rules apply to this post
    1) do not bash other platforms, we're not turning this into a fan war.
    2) do not praise the device you are using, yes we know it's your favorite. that is why you are using it.
    3) use real life examples, if you haven't played with a certain OS, don't even bring it up.
    4) be mature in your post.

Question : What does "smart phone" mean to you? And what defines a "good" Smart Phone.

To me a smart phone does what you want it to do w/o hassle or fuss. i've used Windows Mobile, Android and Research in Motion, and they each do their own thing and they do it very well. The "push" systems are second to none when it comes to Blackberries. Facebook, Twitter, Email, or BBM they all work flawlessly. I get a message on FB and bam i get an icon for it, i get a new DM or @mention on Twitter and bam i get a little T showing me i have a something new on twitter. The email is meh to me, Androids have push email, when using G-Mail and that is primarily the only email i use, and with Apple's MobileMe - it has push as well.... So push email on Android, apple or RIM is one in the same to me. Windows mobile was a bit of a chore to get the e-mails to work correctly when using something other than Microsoft Outlook.

A smartphone should also be able to do task that are out of the ordinary phone, like BT, USB, or Wi-Fi tethering. or the ability to use a screen as a mouse pad and keyboard to remotely control a computer.

A smartphone should be able to track every phone call, every SMS or every Email that was sent to or fro that device.

So how does one define "smart phone". is it the number of applications it can store and use. is it the ability to stay in communication with the out side world. is the the process of being able to utilize other electronic device via bluetooth or Wi-Fi signals. Or is a smart phone simply a small computer that can make phone calls.

I know what Wikipedia says about it, i know what Websters says, but as end users that use these devices day in and day out, what do we say, what do you say.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-11-10 at 01:57 PM.
    08-11-10 01:53 PM
    To me, smartphone is a phone that can run android, iOS, or blackberry OS with ease.

To be more specific, more than sms, mms, low quality pictures/video, and phone calls.
    08-11-10 02:32 PM
    A 'smartphone' is a phone with a customizable, loadable (and re-loadable) OS (BBOS, Android, iOS, WinMo, Symbian, etc), expandable with extensions/apps. It is a device that brings a higher level of computing experience than a regular dumbphone/feature phone.
    08-11-10 02:39 PM
    Something that can basically handle data better than a regular phone. Aka video, email, web browsing, etc. That's how I see a smart phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 02:45 PM
    A smartphone is a device that allows me to be more productive in my day to day tasks. It enables me to to keep my schedule in order without the need of a bulky day planner. I can make calls, compose emails, send texts. I can keep up with my friends via FB, twitter, whatever without having to sit down to check on my desktop. My smartphone would save me (and oh does it) when I'm feeling directionally challenged (GPS, google maps, mapquest.). I can get the news right to it so I'm up-to-date with current events.
    08-11-10 02:46 PM
    Is the term smartphone even applicable anymore? I think the last smartphone I owned was Sony Ericsson T616. When making phone calls is the priority of the device-but it had a few other features/functions that I found useful- that is what I consider a smart phone.

Currently we have more along the lines of mobile communicators or mobile devices. email, txt, web, calls, ims. games, reader, etc- its just so much more intrinsic to our daily lives now. It wasn't too long ago when we could have waited to get home or to the office to check emails, now its practically part of every minute of lives, always on, always accessible.

Sorry, didn't mean to change up topics, but your original post really got me thinking. To be considered a good smartphone is really subjective to the user- if the device fufills your needs very well, it should be considered good. If a device fufills your needs and wants it should be considered great. If it doesn't do either- dont waste your $$ or time on it. Alot of people out there tend to buy a device for a list of features that seem to be popular but dont really address their own needs.
    08-11-10 02:55 PM
    Sorry, didn't mean to change up topics, but your original post really got me thinking. To be considered a good smartphone is really subjective to the user- if the device fufills your needs very well, it should be considered good. If a device fufills your needs and wants it should be considered great. If it doesn't do either- dont waste your $$ or time on it. Alot of people out there tend to buy a device for a list of features that seem to be popular but dont really address their own needs.
    you my friend and thinking along the same lines as i am. I was user of brand X cell phone for a long time. Got a little board with it and bought brand Y cell phone. And hated it, so i went back to brand X for a little while longer, got board with it and tried Brand Z cell phone. HATED the battery life, went back to brand X, got board again. but this time i said that i'm not going back to brand X, i had them 3 time before and got board with them each and every time i went to use it. So i went back to brand Z and started off liking it. but the more i dig the more i like. the more i like the more i dig. happens to be a circular pattern...

What provoked this thought was this. I made a post on this forum and said that said something to the degree of " Brand Z phone is more of a smart phone that brand X" and someone came back with "well my phone does this, and my phone does that better than any other phone", and i thought. And though some more. Well that may be true but if i don't find that attractive, how good is a smart phone that offers no features that you/i/we/they want to use.

And i thought to my self " a smart phone is just that, a smart phone. But only to the user that is holding the device."

and i wonder how many people are using a "brand a/b/c" phone just because they see it on the newest P Diddy music video, or on the cover of the newest People Magazine.... then turn around and complain because it doesn't do what they want it to do.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-11-10 at 03:35 PM.
    08-11-10 03:33 PM

and i wonder how many people are using a "brand a/b/c" phone just because they see it on the newest P Diddy music video, or on the cover of the newest People Magazine.... .
    EVERYONE !! (like Gary Oldman in The Professional-lol)

Seriously speaking though there has to be a significant portion of new device purchases are part of the "oooh ME TOO" crowd. Its new, its popular and I want it. Whether they use it or not. I know a lot of people with who had data focused devices (treos, blackberries, Dash, etc) and they will only have a basic call and text plan NO DATA plan and I would ask why bother getting such a device if they are not interested in data "Because it looks cool" was the typical response only using the device a fraction of its full potential. I am the type (and I suspect all Crackberry heads are on the same page) of person who actually reads the manual and explores and uses every feature of a device just to be sure that I know how it works. If I encounter a problem I first consult a site like Crackberry before calling Customer service. I compare specs/features to my needs & wants list before spending my hard earned $$. I can appreciate new, shiny, glossy devices like anyone else but there has to be a actual reason to aquire it.
    08-11-10 03:59 PM
    EVERYONE !! (like Gary Oldman in The Professional-lol)

Seriously speaking though there has to be a significant portion of new device purchases are part of the "oooh ME TOO" crowd. Its new, its popular and I want it. Whether they use it or not. I know a lot of people with who had data focused devices (treos, blackberries, Dash, etc) and they will only have a basic call and text plan NO DATA plan and I would ask why bother getting such a device if they are not interested in data "Because it looks cool" was the typical response only using the device a fraction of its full potential. I am the type (and I suspect all Crackberry heads are on the same page) of person who actually reads the manual and explores and uses every feature of a device just to be sure that I know how it works. If I encounter a problem I first consult a site like Crackberry before calling Customer service. I compare specs/features to my needs & wants list before spending my hard earned $$. I can appreciate new, shiny, glossy devices like anyone else but there has to be a actual reason to aquire it.
    Yea, i sold my Brand X phone /which at the time was the most state of the art/ phone for, and i'm not joking, 1/5th of what i paid for it. Sounds crazy. it might be. but if it's not a smartphone in the hands of the holder. It's not a smart phone at all.

i can control my netbook via my brand Z phone, use it just like a remote control for my Netflix.. I can tether via blue tooth my netbook. those two features alone make this "more of a smart phone" than my previous phone. Two features that i wanted, two features they didn't offer. so it didn't fit my bill anymore.....

but i do have to agree with you on Smart Phones w/o data packages. It's just a simple, but VERY expensive PDA phone.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-11-10 at 04:12 PM.
    08-11-10 04:10 PM
    A phone that supports a data plan? :0
    08-11-10 05:49 PM
    a Smartphone to me is rather simple:
    a Phone that can connect User data/ Tasks/ and multiple means of communication effectively, and efficiently, Multiple means of Communication INCLUDING clear phone conversations, email, sms/mms, and IM.

everything beyond that is fluff, it leaves the realm of being a smartphone and enters the realm of being a Media device, or a Pocket Computer.

What would my Perfect Smartphone be?
    a Phone that has multiple lines, and call logs that link to a contact card, emails and SMS's link to the contact card, and sending any form of communication would be a simple click from a contact card, groups of contacts could be called simultaneously into a conference call, groups of contacts could be SMS/IM/emailed from a small series of clicks making EACH receiver see only them selves as the recipient and the phone addressing a DEAR <insert contact name> to Dear Joe, and Dear Bill, and Dear Joan etc...
    I want to click my contact and get directions with less than 3 clicks from (a) where I am now, (b) from another contacts address

My perfect smartphone would NOT include
    full touch screen
    HDMI out
    Wifi Hot spot
    onboard games
    Media Player buttons
    PUSHed App's
    default app world
    mandatory desktop software to set up
    08-11-10 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD