Okay, so day before yesterday I returned my less than a month old Pearl (bought April 9) due to dirt under the screen. I exchanged it and at that time I was offered a Curve instead, but stayed with the Pearl. I do love it.

Now, tonight, I went to answer a call, took the phone out of the OEM sleeve in my purse, and the OFF key fell off into my hand when I did.

Called Bell World, they are out of the Purple so are calling down to the other store and will call me in the morning about doing an exchange.

Now if they offer me the chance to change to the Curve, should I take it? DOA's have to be the same phone - but this is the second Pearl now, and to be honest I am a little surprised the damn key fell off. Now I don't know if they will or won't offer it, but what should I do?
    05-02-08 07:58 PM
    if they offer it i would take it
    05-02-08 08:00 PM
    I would take the new Curve too..
    05-02-08 08:02 PM
    I am really surprised at the key thing, I know it's a one in a million thing, but I have never had to replace a phone twice in a month before.
    05-02-08 08:05 PM
    take it and run! carefully.
    05-02-08 08:06 PM
    No offense, but perhaps you need to be more careful with your phone.
    05-02-08 08:09 PM
    I would request another Pearl if you really like the Pearl.

If you've been dreaming about Curves, then get the Curve.

05-02-08 08:15 PM
    No offense, but perhaps you need to be more careful with your phone.
    This is the thing, I am OCD about my phone. It lives in it's case, it is covered, it is in my purse in it's sleeve AND a dedicated pocket. It's never been dropped, even the one I returned the other day for dirt under the screen got a compliment from the Bell owner because it looked like it just came out of the box. ****, I polish the darn thing.

Bell figures it's bad glue and that the key somehow got caught on something inside the OEM sleeve. It was not neglegence.
    05-02-08 08:17 PM
    I would request another Pearl if you really like the Pearl.

If you've been dreaming about Curves, then get the Curve.

I really really do like the Pearl. ALOT.

However, I keep going to blackberrycurve.com and looking at it.

I don't know what to do!

I sort of wish it WAS something I had done to the phone, it would make the decision easier, but when it's something that makes me question the quality (the sleeve should not make a key pop off) it makes me wonder if I should try another or not.
    05-02-08 08:42 PM
    Curve all the way! I know you like the pearl, but if you have been looking at the Curve online that much... it sounds to me like a little voice inside is gently suggesting that's what you want. I love, love, love my Curve!
    05-02-08 08:56 PM
    I am so torn.

And I want my off button back again lol.
    05-03-08 02:02 AM
    ummm,

First, i'm gonna say, SORRY.

To get the END key off of my Pearl, to replace it, I HAD TO GO NUTS. Its part of a FULL keyboard. Meaning, ALL the keys.

So, i agree with Sunkast.

Be a little more careful with it.
    05-03-08 02:06 AM
    Again, to reiterate since people seem to think I have hammered the phone (which is funny because I am anal retentive when it comes to my electronics), I did not do this to the phone. Even Bell agreed with me, the phone is pristine. However, there is part of the inner sleeve of the sleeve that is NOT pristine, but appears to be poorly assembled, and so when you slide the phone out of the sleeve, it caught on the key somehow and popped it out. Believe me, Bell was looking it over with a magnifier, and there are no scratches or any damage to the phone.

So maybe this is also a message to double check your OEM sleeves, as some of them may not be put together quite right.

Not everyone treats the phone badly you know, there are some cases where the phone gets damaged regardless of how babied it is due to a off blip of manufacturing.
    05-03-08 02:16 AM

Now, tonight, I went to answer a call, took the phone out of the OEM sleeve in my purse, and the OFF key fell off into my hand when I did.
    Huge man hands are a hazard to the delicate girlyness of the Pearl.

I would suggest a Curve as they're more "manly", but you'd probably be safer with a Motorola M900BP
    05-03-08 04:05 AM
    Is there a reason you are going thread to thread taking pot shots? Is my putting you on ignore bothering you that much?

And my hands are as manly as you are considerate.

*back on ignore*
    05-03-08 04:11 AM
    i suggest going to the store and handling the curve a bit.
    i love the keypad on my pearl, but i love the screen on the curve.
    so for me, and practicality, i went with the pearl. lets face it, the keypad is a huge part of a phone. i dont feel comfy with the QWERTY keypad, and its easy for me to send a quick "call me" text with my pearl w/o looking, especially while i'm driving.
    05-03-08 07:05 AM
    Is there a reason you are going thread to thread taking pot shots? Is my putting you on ignore bothering you that much?

And my hands are as manly as you are considerate.

*back on ignore*
    ...and now, back to the point... reeneebob, I can empathize with you about how you "baby" your phone, only to have this happen. It's probably not productive to try to figure out why the key fell off, and who is at fault. More importanly here, we need to help you figure out which phone is best for you.

Comparing between the Pearl and the Curve, they are probably both equally durable. It's the functions of the keyboard that you should consider. Do you like the qwerty keyboard feature of the Curve? Or are you more interested in smaller profile in the Pearl? That's the kind of thing I would be considering. Me? I prefer the qwerty keyboard and have loved the whole feel and classy look of the Curve (and I'm a female!).

I can't wait to hear what you decide to do!
    05-03-08 09:15 AM
    Heading over to Bell World now.

I think I may stay with the Pearl, I bought a bunch of accessories already for it - but I flat out love the keyboard and profile. I will handle the Curve over there and see what moves me. I'll let you know what happens when I return!
    05-03-08 12:26 PM
    Okay, so I went and played with the Curve.

I hate the keyboard.

I love the feel, but I was hitting 2-4 keys while typing. So I have a pretty, shiny new Amethyst 8130 in my hand - WITH AN OFF KEY!
    05-03-08 05:08 PM
    I hate the keyboard.

I love the feel, but I was hitting 2-4 keys while typing.
    haha... Like I said... "man hands are a hazard"

btw DOA = Dead On Arrival

Your handsets were not DOA because of "dirt under the screen" or a button flying off.

DOA would constitute not powering up at all straight out of the box. So once again you show a lack of proper intelligence.

*This has been a friendly lesson from your local superior male*
    05-04-08 03:01 AM
    if they offer it i would take it

co-sign
    05-04-08 12:27 PM
    haha... Like I said... "man hands are a hazard"

btw DOA = Dead On Arrival

Your handsets were not DOA because of "dirt under the screen" or a button flying off.

DOA would constitute not powering up at all straight out of the box. So once again you show a lack of proper intelligence.

*This has been a friendly lesson from your local superior male*
    You know what, I read the post even though you are on ignore out of curiosity.

Bell does damaged handsets as DOA replacements, regardless. If your little superior male ego (emphasis on little) mattered more to me I would happily scan the receipt where BOTH replacements are listed quite clearly as DOA handset exchanges. By Bell. ON THE RECEIPT. Forgive me for using the terminology the Bell employees also used.

And luckily you are not local, nor superior. You are male. Sadly for the gender.

Now I shall go back to ignoring and reporting you for your total lack of respect.
    05-04-08 02:33 PM
    You know what, I read the post even though you are on ignore out of curiosity.

Bell does damaged handsets as DOA replacements, regardless. If your little superior male ego (emphasis on little) mattered more to me I would happily scan the receipt where BOTH replacements are listed quite clearly as DOA handset exchanges. By Bell. ON THE RECEIPT. Forgive me for using the terminology the Bell employees also used.

And luckily you are not local, nor superior. You are male. Sadly for the gender.

Now I shall go back to ignoring and reporting you for your total lack of respect.
    reeneebob,

I think it's time to move on and enjoy your new Curve! I've had a BB 7130e since December, 2005. It's a great phone and the first BlackBerry to have SureType which I really enjoyed using. But they say, "all good things must come to an end." So I finally got the Curve, and am loving it.

Keep on Crackin',

- CB
    Last edited by CarBob; 05-04-08 at 04:14 PM.
    05-04-08 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD