I remember her saying a while ago that she has the "automatically dim backlight" option off, that means her screen does not dim in dark but also does not brighten up in direct sun light.

Screen protectors are causing some problems, the otterbox one especially.
    Forgot to mention, both phones have auto dimming on and both phones have brightness set to 10 out of 100 and both phones have $2 China made screen protectors on them. Still worked like a charm.
    04-08-12 04:35 AM
    Forgot to mention, both phones have auto dimming on and both phones have brightness set to 10 out of 100 and both phones have $2 China made screen protectors on them. Still worked like a charm.
    In direct sunlight or strong light the brightness setting makes no difference, the screen will get far brighter then the 100% setting. Just hold it up to a light bulb and see lol.

The 10% setting is really for dim enviroments where a bright screen would be annoying.

PS I have the otterbox screen protector and it does give me problems sometimes but it is very thick and hard compared to what I had before.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-08-12 at 05:02 AM.
    04-08-12 04:59 AM
    In direct sunlight or strong light the brightness setting makes no difference, the screen will get far brighter then the 100% setting. Just hold it up to a light bulb and see lol.

The 10% setting is really for dim enviroments where a bright screen would be annoying.

PS I have the otterbox screen protector and it does give me problems sometimes but it is very thick and hard compared to what I had before.
    Yea. I have always had the auto dimming feature on since my first Berry.

Thing is up till today I never heard of BBs not being visible in direct sunlight. If the user sets it incorrectly then how can the device be blamed.
    04-08-12 05:13 AM
    I've had 1 iphone and 1 Droid phone and 2 BB's and will be getting a 3rd, no more said!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 05:14 AM
    Right so I just called you out on this one. Just went out on a bright and sunny day and recorded two touch Blackberrys working and visible. Since its my Playbook camera the screens on the BBs appear less bright than they actually were. Also the self adjust on the PB seems to make everything dimmer. You can see how bright it is by looking at the reflection off the BBs.

The level of misinformation people spread about BBs is reaching absurd levels. Now even where BBs are strong people claim that the other phone is better, while I have seen the iPad and iPhone in direct sunlight and they are unusable.
    I prefer the camera on the iPhone for inside shots because I find the camera on the 9930 to be very poor for closeups. However, trying to take pictures with the Skyrocket or the iPhone outside in bright daylight is nearly impossible. I have tried to take pics of cherry blossoms and Spring bulbs with the iPhone and I've had to guess, thereby missing the shot or focusing on the wrong thing. The screen is nearly dark opaque gray.
    04-08-12 05:55 AM
    you had me until "And whats this with the birds and the pigs" stupid post was stupid
    04-08-12 08:51 AM
    I prefer the camera on the iPhone for inside shots because I find the camera on the 9930 to be very poor for closeups. However, trying to take pictures with the Skyrocket or the iPhone outside in bright daylight is nearly impossible. I have tried to take pics of cherry blossoms and Spring bulbs with the iPhone and I've had to guess, thereby missing the shot or focusing on the wrong thing. The screen is nearly dark opaque gray.
    The camera on the 9810 is great for close-ups, and has a special setting for them.
    04-08-12 08:55 AM
    Yup, that is a much better camera.
    04-08-12 08:57 AM
    Oh I LOVE my 9810 camera for outside pics its amazing.
    Comparing pics to the ones my friends and family take in the same
    place with the iphone4/4s mine always comes out better.
    For indoors dim light not so much the case.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-08-12 09:11 AM
    No, I countered your opinion with facts.
    Your experience with iphone users proves nothing but your experience; it tells us virtually nothing about users as a whole. Sure, if you could extrapolate your experience to users as a whole, you'd have a point. But you can't, so you don't.

The implied message in your "opinion" was that iPhone does not need rebooting. However there is a reset method described in the iPhone user manual. And add to that iPhones hang as well and the users do reboot.
    Ah. So if I said "most people don't know how to check their car's oil level," you'd take that as an implication that they don't need to check their car's oil level? That seems a little hypersensitive and extreme to me. As for what's in the manual, lots of things are there. But let me share a bit of inside info with you: most people don't read the manual.

That iPhones hang can be verified by a causal Google search. That there is a way to reboot them is also on Google. So you tell me how is my statement an opinion?
    Again, I never claimed iPhones "never" need rebooting, or that iPhones "never" hang. For the umpteenth time, I'd really appreciate it if you could limit your rebuttal to what I actually write, instead of trying to shift the discussion to your own straw man set up. Also, just so we're clear, the "opinion" I describe is your own take on what iPhone users know or don't know. For both of us, when using our own experiences to assess what iPhone users know, all we can offer is opinion.
    Last edited by Economist101; 04-08-12 at 11:21 AM.
    04-08-12 09:11 AM
    I find that hard to believe. I have a ipad2 that needs to be hard reset about once or twice a week to get the wifi working again. I have friends that have iphones. They seem to know how to reset them.
    I have a wife who has never reset her iPad 2. Literally, never. However, neither experience proves anything. Does that mean it's never been reset? No, because I've done it a couple times. But does the fact that it's been reset proves she knows how to do it? No, it doesn't.
    04-08-12 09:15 AM
    BTW Tonis why did you do this under your name.
    You could have just created another account like the trolls do
    04-08-12 09:26 AM
    BTW Tonis why did you do this under your name.
    You could have just created another account like the trolls do
    Is that you, BlackJack?
    04-08-12 09:28 AM
    LOL. I did the same thing over at Android Central after 2500 posts and got a lifetime ban there.

I can see how it happens. It's called forum induced insanity. Ha
    04-08-12 09:36 AM
    wow totally forgot about this guy
    Why did Blackjack get banned from here?
    04-08-12 09:46 AM
    Your experience with iphone users proves nothing but your experience; it tells us virtually nothing about users as a whole. Sure, if you could extrapolate your experience to users as a whole, you'd have a point. But you can't, so you don't.

Ah. So if I said "most people don't know how to check their car's oil level," you'd take that as an implication that they don't need to check their car's oil level? That seems a little hypersensitive and extreme to me. As for what's in the manual, lots of things are there. But let me sare a bit of inside info with you: most people don't read the manual.

Again, I never claimed iPhones "never" need rebooting, or that iPhones "never" hang. For the umpteenth time, I'd really appreciate it if you could limit your rebuttal to what I actually write, instead of trying to shift the discussion to your own straw man set up. Also, just so we're clear, the "opinion" I describe is your own take on what iPhone users know or don't know. For both of us, when using our own experiences to assess what iPhone users know, all we can offer is opinion.
    You are pulling a fast one now. It wasn't the just the statement in itself. The context of the statement was far different than your example of people checking their car's oil level.

If you had made a standalone statement then your above points would be valid. However you led in with BBs needing frequent reboots and closed with the statement of iPhone owners not knowing how to reboot.

Using you car and oil similie, what you essentially said amounts to saying Ford engines burn oil while Chevy car owners don't even know how to check the oil level because they don't need to as Chevy engines don't burn oil. The implication being Chevy engines are better than Ford.

If you had said that most smartphone users don't know how to reboot then your oil level example would hold water.

You are grasping at straws now.
    04-08-12 10:17 AM
    You are pulling a fast one now. It wasn't the just the statement in itself. The context of the statement was far different than your example of people checking their car's oil level.

If you had made a standalone statement then your above points would be valid. However you led in with BBs needing frequent reboots and closed with the statement of iPhone owners not knowing how to reboot.
    I didn't make any statement about BBs needing frequent reboots, and the guy I was responding to isn't exactly a BB basher.

The difference between you and I is that I respond to what you actually write, while you respond to what you wrongly think I'm implying. Of course, I never claimed any device was reboot-free, nor did I specifically imply that iPhones don't need to be rebooted. But, if you don't do something often, it's easy to forget how to do it (or to never really learn), and regardless of what you may have seen, most iPhone users are not rebooting their phones daily.

On the upside, at least you let go of the "it's in the manual" argument.
    Last edited by Economist101; 04-08-12 at 10:35 AM.
    04-08-12 10:27 AM
    I have a wife who has never reset her iPad 2. Literally, never. However, neither experience proves anything. Does that mean it's never been reset? No, because I've done it a couple times. But does the fact that it's been reset proves she knows how to do it? No, it doesn't.
    I've had each version of the iPad and the only time I've ever reset/reboot it was on iteration one when I screwed up downloading an iOS update.

I've never had one freeze or stall on me.
    04-08-12 10:28 AM
    I've had each version of the iPad and the only time I've ever reset/reboot it was on iteration one when I screwed up downloading an iOS update.

I've never had one freeze or stall on me.
    I have to chuckle at the inconsistency in the reboot argument. I read one thread were iOS users are simpletons who aren't sophisticated enough to handle anything more than the most basic technology, but then I come to a thread like this and all of a sudden all those "iSheep" know how to reboot their phone. Granted, rebooting isn't an advanced task, but it's not obvious either.
    04-08-12 10:34 AM

Using you car and oil similie, what you essentially said amounts to saying Ford engines burn oil while Chevy car owners don't even know how to check the oil level because they don't need to as Chevy engines don't burn oil. The implication being Chevy engines are better than Ford.

If you had said that most smartphone users don't know how to reboot then your oil level example would hold water.

To be fair. You did misquote him. You removed the word 'most' and doing so altered the specificity of his statement.

Maybe you didn't realize you'd done that. Sometimes we 'glance' at posts without actually reading them.
    04-08-12 10:36 AM
    I have to chuckle at the inconsistency in the reboot argument. I read one thread were iOS users are simpletons who aren't sophisticated enough to handle anything more than the most basic technology, but then I come to a thread like this and all of a sudden all those "iSheep" know how to reboot their phone. Granted, rebooting isn't an advanced task, but it's not obvious either.
    Nero played the Fiddle...
    04-08-12 10:37 AM
    Is that you, BlackJack?

wow totally forgot about this guy
    Why did Blackjack get banned from here?

Ask eco guy; it's comments like that that simply divert and draw negative attention to a former member who can't defend himself.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    04-08-12 10:47 AM
    Ask eco guy; it's comments like that that simply divert and draw negative attention to a member who can't defend himself.
    Good to know.
    Last edited by Economist101; 04-08-12 at 10:55 AM.
    04-08-12 10:52 AM
    To be fair. You did misquote him. You removed the word 'most' and doing so altered the specificity of his statement.

Maybe you didn't realize you'd done that. Sometimes we 'glance' at posts without actually reading them.
    No I did not misquote him. I just connected the dots and understood what he is trying to say. Unless of course his posts are a collection of disjointed statements and don't mean anything. Below his is statement in response to Belfast. Please explain to me what was the purpose of the statement or was it a random disjointed statement which was to be taken only on face value..

Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher
    And who boots their phone? You mean reboot? I do that at night when I don't use the phone.
    I don't think most iOS users even know how to reboot their device
    04-08-12 10:59 AM
    No I did not misquote him. I just connected the dots and understood what he is trying to say.
    You did a poor job.
    04-08-12 11:03 AM
179 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD