I wanted to see what the hip-hip-hooray was all about so I picked up an iToy. So I'm giving apple a shot, but some questions have come up right away. Why do I have to sift through hundreds of thousands of garbage apps to find a basic function like a consolidated messages box? And as I'm looking at this thing, I'm wondering where's the notification LED? Also, I'm finding that I can't make it through the day on a charge and would like to obtain a spare battery for the iPhone, but first I'd like to figure out how to open the thing to do a battery swap. Is there a quick and easy way? And what is this with the birds and the pigs??? So far, out-of-the-box experience -- not so good. If I can't get this thing up to the communication standards I'm accustomed to quickly, I'm returning it.
    Congratulations almost 2500 posts and you get yourself BANNED. I am not a fan of Apple but come on man. I don't make a lot of sense or add a lot to many of the discussions I post on but this was really a dumb thing to do.
    04-07-12 02:09 PM
    I tried the iPhone 4S. I used it right beside my 9810.

IMO message notification is better on my 9810. Swiping down on the iPhone screen lowers a silver screen (like a guillotine) that's a bit wonky

The iPhone screen seemed brighter (it was plugged in) but to my eyes the 9810 screen was better...I had them both on the same web page (many pictures) and the 9810 was better

IMO the layout of the music player on the 9810 is better
    Guillotine? Wow...

The 9810 screen is very nice but is not better than the iPhones.

iPhone 4-4S has a 3.5 inch 960x640 screen with 326ppi

Apple - iPhone 4S - Technical Specifications

Torch 9810

480x640 resolution at 250 ppi

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ne-4-a-638447/

The Torch does have a very nice screen though. It is brighter than the iPhone 4 when you set both devices to max brightness.
    04-07-12 02:27 PM
    Yep but Blackberry users on Crackberry must be tolerant of, and love all platforms, while non-Blackberry users can bait, troll and p in our yard all day long. You see the same people posting links to any negative articles on RIM that they can find, bashing Blackberry, saying how great something else is and nothing happens. Seems like the mods let more go now that we are all one, big, happy Mobile Nations family. I bet the other forums on the sister sites wouldn't be as tolerant, but I doubt their are tons of BB trolls going there to cause problems either.
    This.

10 char.
    04-07-12 02:48 PM
    Guillotine? Wow...

The 9810 screen is very nice but is not better than the iPhones.

iPhone 4-4S has a 3.5 inch 960x640 screen with 326ppi

Apple - iPhone 4S - Technical Specifications

Torch 9810

480x640 resolution at 250 ppi

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ne-4-a-638447/

The Torch does have a very nice screen though. It is brighter than the iPhone 4 when you set both devices to max brightness.
    The max brightness setting on a Blackberry is not actually the max, put it under a strong light or direct sunlight and it gets a lot brighter.
    04-07-12 04:33 PM
    Whether you like it or not depends on what your preference is for messaging.

Personally, I like to know if I have an email or message and the blinking LED is a good, non-interruptive indicator.

But I'm sure there are others that like to check for new mail on their own terms, and not feel like they're enslaved to a blinking red light (it can be very hard to resist at times lol).

I remember reading somewhere that on the iPhone 4s you can set it so that the camera. flash will blink if you have something waiting. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Even if true, it's not the most ideal setup...the flash likely uses more power than the small LED, and you have to leave your phone facing down in order to see it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Problem is not when you have new emails, that doesn't count, problems is all those times when you wake up the phone only to see no new emails, that's the time waster. Checking for new emails and finding new emails is fine.

Nobody has to be a slave to the BB led, it's optional, it can be turned off in a certain profile if you wish.
    04-07-12 04:39 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that on the iPhone 4s you can set it so that the camera. flash will blink if you have something waiting. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Even if true, it's not the most ideal setup...the flash likely uses more power than the small LED, and you have to leave your phone facing down in order to see it.
    This is not to be confused with the BB equivalent of the blinking LED.
    iPhones' flashing camera flash is for the hearing impaired.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    04-07-12 05:34 PM
    I wanted to see what the hip-hip-hooray was all about so I picked up an iToy. So I'm giving apple a shot, but some questions have come up right away. Why do I have to sift through hundreds of thousands of garbage apps to find a basic function like a consolidated messages box? And as I'm looking at this thing, I'm wondering where's the notification LED? Also, I'm finding that I can't make it through the day on a charge and would like to obtain a spare battery for the iPhone, but first I'd like to figure out how to open the thing to do a battery swap. Is there a quick and easy way? And what is this with the birds and the pigs??? So far, out-of-the-box experience -- not so good. If I can't get this thing up to the communication standards I'm accustomed to quickly, I'm returning it.
    I just couldn't resist. You should be rightfully ashamed....completely laughable.
    04-07-12 05:49 PM
    The max brightness setting on a Blackberry is not actually the max, put it under a strong light or direct sunlight and it gets a lot brighter.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    My setting for my BB brightness is 10 with auto brightness on. And the BB is the only phone I have come across which is totally readable in direct sunlight. Every other phone user I have seen normally cups their hand around the screen to read. And this is proper sunlight in tropical areas, not the poor 100 watt sunlight you guys get in the northern hemisphere.
    04-07-12 05:52 PM
    The OP is just trolling, he bashes Apple every chance he gets, so no real use in answering any of his fake questions, which are just veiled attempts to attempt to criticize non BlackBerry devices.
    Lol. I was just imagining him saying this in a crowd and then followed by "I'm on medication. You'll have to forgive my nonsense." if anything guys like him hurt BB more than help.
    04-07-12 05:59 PM
    How do you do that?
    Go to settings> notification center> mail. Have fun
    04-07-12 06:10 PM
    Factually incorrect. The find out soon enough when their phone freezes. I have seen many rebooting the iPhones when the freeze. Not saying there is anything sinister in a hanged phone. All phones hang. But the myth which surrounds the iPhone is that it doesn't. It does and does need a reboot.

Carry on with your usual programming.
    And in the last year I've never had my iPhone freeze. Ever. Not once. Jailbroken and not. So it doesn't happen to everyone. Could it happen? Sure, but I don't mind rebooting my iPhone as much as the 9900 because you can shut it down and restart it three times in the time it takes my 9900 to start.

As far as Belfast's point of iPhone users being unable to upload pictures on an iPhone to CB, I did it (and do it still when using my iPhone) all the time, because I use Tapatalk. I dislike strongly browsing this forum using the mobile browser on ANY phone. I also use Tapatalk on my 9900 (painfully bad as it is compared to the iPhone version) because the new Crackberry app froze my phone solid and I had to do a battery pull to even be able to uninstall it.

Tonis? If he's banned for good I can't say I'll miss him. Some of his latest antics have been very, very offensive.
    04-07-12 10:27 PM
    And in the last year I've never had my iPhone freeze. Ever. Not once. Jailbroken and not. So it doesn't happen to everyone. Could it happen? Sure, but I don't mind rebooting my iPhone as much as the 9900 because you can shut it down and restart it three times in the time it takes my 9900 to start.

As far as Belfast's point of iPhone users being unable to upload pictures on an iPhone to CB, I did it (and do it still when using my iPhone) all the time, because I use Tapatalk. I dislike strongly browsing this forum using the mobile browser on ANY phone. I also use Tapatalk on my 9900 (painfully bad as it is compared to the iPhone version) because the new Crackberry app froze my phone solid and I had to do a battery pull to even be able to uninstall it.

Tonis? If he's banned for good I can't say I'll miss him. Some of his latest antics have been very, very offensive.
    Actually if you read my post carefully, nowhere have I suggested that the iPhone freezes frequently or have I mentioned the frequency of freezing. My post is hardly a comparison of iPhone vs BB. My point was completely different in that the iPhone "can" freeze. Whether the frequency is once in six months or once in six years, it CAN and you admit as much. My point was more to the claim or opinion that iPhone users don't know how to reboot the phone. They do and the iPhone does freeze.

In your experience its not frozen, I myself have seen some IPhone users reboot multiple times a day. Either way, thrice a day or once in 3 yrs, the iPhone can and will freeze and claiming that iPhone users do not know how to reboot is neither here nor there. And that was the post to which I replied. I'm hardly interested in and iPhone vs BB argument. It gets no where. It's down to personal choice. I would put up with rebooting my BB every hour but still won't buy the iPhone as I find it useless for me. It's a nothing device as far as I'm concerned. And the same goes for you and BB. Different strokes. Just like you like TapaTaok and I don't. I always use the mobile browser. Your 9900 froze with the CB application, mine didn't and is running flawlessly. You need multiple reboots on your 9900, I haven't had occasion to reboot my 9900 due to freezes in the past six months.

This is all subjective. For every thing there is a counter viewpoint. So making sweeping statements either way do not help.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 04-07-12 at 11:06 PM.
    04-07-12 10:51 PM
    The ability to intelligently debate and discuss a topic without it turning into a personal pissing match seems to be lost 'round these parts.

Any time you think it is truly bad here head on over to say the comments section of a BlackBerry related post over at BGR.com. Or heck any post there.

Yeah it gets out of hand here at times. But the mods do a pretty good job.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-07-12 11:14 PM

and the heavy active users are less and less positive about BlackBerry's future, or thankful for their past

Maybe. But interestingly I do notice a few of the heavy negative posters have gone away. For whatever the reason. Lol. Maybe they are taking a break.

04-07-12 11:23 PM
    This argument is getting to be kind of stupid.

Yes. The only thing that matters to most is does the device hinder you in your job or life's tasks in *any significant way*? And the answer to this is always specific to the task at hand and the specific user.

I have friends that take a day just to reply to an email whereas I live in email. They could not care less about something like this. But then some of them send hundreds of sms messages a day and I send relatively few. Different needs. Different levels of concern.

04-07-12 11:39 PM
    Is the OP banned because of trolling? how can he be trolling in blackberry forum?
    I can accept if he is banned bcause of being offensive... but if he's banned for trolling then... check out the devices of each participant here, and ban the ones without blackberry...
    This looks more like iphone forum than bb forum. Peace people.
    @deRusett: I hear you man. But let it go... they are more more of them here now. ex-bb users mostly...
    04-07-12 11:44 PM
    I don't think most iOS users even know how to reboot their device.

I find that hard to believe. I have a ipad2 that needs to be hard reset about once or twice a week to get the wifi working again. I have friends that have iphones. They seem to know how to reset them.

04-07-12 11:46 PM
    Just like people told me that Mac doesn't crash. It does, less frequently than windows but it does.

Not to derail the topic (more), but windows with an nt kernel on solid hardware pretty much will not crash. Of course there's a lot more crappy hardware with bad drivers running windows out there than macs. But the problem usually aint windows.

04-07-12 11:53 PM
    I find that hard to believe. I have a ipad2 that needs to be hard reset about once or twice a week to get the wifi working again. I have friends that have iphones. They seem to know how to reset them.

Its actually quite confusing. especially if u had the ipod, itouch, then ipad. each gen of ipod reset differently. then later model itouch and ipad resets the same way.. Now you just press the midle button and top right(display off) simultaneously. Told ya all its becoming an imore thread
    they should have moved this thread to imore... seriously.
    04-07-12 11:53 PM
    Yep but Blackberry users on Crackberry must be tolerant of, and love all platforms, while non-Blackberry users can bait, troll and p in our yard all day long. You see the same people posting links to any negative articles on RIM that they can find, bashing Blackberry, saying how great something else is and nothing happens. Seems like the mods let more go now that we are all one, big, happy Mobile Nations family. I bet the other forums on the sister sites wouldn't be as tolerant, but I doubt their are tons of BB trolls going there to cause problems either.
    I can't say it better...
    I have all 3 platform devices.. I am not a "fanatic". But the amount of disdain for BB here is quite shocking... calling bb users st*pid, ignorant etc is not ban material/acceptable.. but.. mocking iphone is. It does spice things up a bit with all these iphone users around. peace.
    Last edited by guzprom; 04-08-12 at 12:15 AM.
    04-08-12 12:10 AM
    Truer words were never spoken.
    My setting for my BB brightness is 10 with auto brightness on. And the BB is the only phone I have come across which is totally readable in direct sunlight. Every other phone user I have seen normally cups their hand around the screen to read. And this is proper sunlight in tropical areas, not the poor 100 watt sunlight you guys get in the northern hemisphere.
    I had read a couple of posts before where people said they couldn't use the 9900 touchscreen in direct sunlight, for whatever reason. I thought "wierd, must be a fluke!"

Fast forward to yesterday and walking around the corner to visit the inlaws, and I am trying and trying to select something on screen and it's either not responding or selecting something no where near where I was touching. "Wierd" I thought. Walked into the house and instantly the screen was useable again.

Thank god for the touchpad...but this is the first phone I've ever used that this has happened with lol. I don't find it any more readable than my iPhone in sunlight, but the iPhone screen works at least lol.

Bizarre.
    04-08-12 12:19 AM
    Happy Saturday to you too...
    Sorry, but I'm getting tired of all the B&tchin and complaining on this site lately. Everyone seems to be antagonizing and attacking each other. It's getting ridiculous and the mods are doing nothing. Comments like the one you made just provoke and are for the general detriment of the site.

Hope you understand.
    04-08-12 01:43 AM
    I had read a couple of posts before where people said they couldn't use the 9900 touchscreen in direct sunlight, for whatever reason. I thought "wierd, must be a fluke!"

Fast forward to yesterday and walking around the corner to visit the inlaws, and I am trying and trying to select something on screen and it's either not responding or selecting something no where near where I was touching. "Wierd" I thought. Walked into the house and instantly the screen was useable again.

Thank god for the touchpad...but this is the first phone I've ever used that this has happened with lol. I don't find it any more readable than my iPhone in sunlight, but the iPhone screen works at least lol.

Bizarre.
    I will try this and get back to you. I have a fine sunny Indian summer day out.
    04-08-12 02:31 AM

Bizarre.
    Right so I just called you out on this one. Just went out on a bright and sunny day and recorded two touch Blackberrys working and visible. Since its my Playbook camera the screens on the BBs appear less bright than they actually were. Also the self adjust on the PB seems to make everything dimmer. You can see how bright it is by looking at the reflection off the BBs.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actEaf_Od8g[/YT]

The level of misinformation people spread about BBs is reaching absurd levels. Now even where BBs are strong people claim that the other phone is better, while I have seen the iPad and iPhone in direct sunlight and they are unusable.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 04-08-12 at 04:02 AM.
    04-08-12 03:21 AM
    Right so I just called you out on this one. Just went out on a bright and sunny day and recorded two touch Blackberrys working and visible. Since its my Playbook camera the screens on the BBs appear less bright than they actually were. Also the self adjust on the PB seems to make everything dimmer. You can see how bright it is by looking at the reflection off the BBs.

The level of misinformation people spread about BBs is reaching absurd levels. Now even where BBs are strong people claim that the other phone is better, while I have seen the iPad and iPhone in direct sunlight and they are unusable.
    I remember her saying a while ago that she has the "automatically dim backlight" option off, that means her screen does not dim in dark but also does not brighten up in direct sun light.

Screen protectors are causing some problems, the otterbox one especially.
    04-08-12 04:12 AM
179 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD