So today I found out that I can upgrade to a new BlackBerry. Currently I have the 9800 and was thinking of upgrading to either the 9810 or 9900 as my provider is AT&T. Leaning towards the 9900. Question is, or better yet, what I need help with is some understanding as to OS 7.1 and what goodies I will be able to unlock ...

Mobile Hotspot - Am I going to be able to have access to this feature using an "unofficial" OS as to bypass AT&T tethering service plan requirements. It always blows my mind that Wireless Companies charge more for access yet I don't use what I purchase in the first place. If it takes some rooting around in BBSAK to accomplish this then that's not a problem

NFC - This really interests me most. Not so much the usage of payments but the ability to set macros to perform certain functions like turning on/off WiFi or unlock the door, etc. Can I also use this on an "unofficial" OS? I've read that AT&T has locked it down in some anticipation of their own something or other.

App Availability - I am just curious if there are still popular apps that are absent from OS 7 - Ex. Pandora. I don't really care about Netflix or Hulu or Skype on my BlackBerry (PlayBook is a different story!). Is there anything that stands out that's still missing?

Battery - I have read through the forums and have seen mixed reviews on battery life. Some have said with the 7.1 upgrade battery life issues have been resolved on the 9900. True or False?

Camera - So many mixed reviews on this. Is it that it takes more time to get a better picture or its just a POS all the way around? I do use the camera often so this is somewhat important. If its minor then I am assuming apps like LensBoost and PhotoStudio will cover up with the different filters you can apply.

Thank you in advance for your time. I decided to go OS 7 because I don't really care for the look of the London regardless of OS 10. If I wanted an Android of iPhone styled phone then I would have already done so. Just my 2 cents before I see any 'wait' comments.
    02-05-12 09:32 AM
    OS7 is very fine. Hotspot is locked down by ATT unless you pay more for a tethering plan. So far all the apps I use daily are available. Nothing noteable left out so far.

As a 9810 user your 9900 specific questions are ou to my range. Battery life on the 9810 is as good as expected from the best of BB today.
    dmann96 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:48 AM
    Thanks! The 9810 is my other choice if 9900 falls flat. Having a 9800 I have all the accessories already so if NFC doesn't work out or the camera is just too lousy at least I won't have to buy anything new for a cheaper upgrade.
    02-05-12 09:54 AM
    I can't speak for the other items (I'm in canada and I don't have 7.1 yet) but the battery life on my 9900 is not so bad. Just keep the number open apps to a minumum, turn off the unused radios (wifi/Bluetooth) when not using them, and you should be able to get a day and a half with regular use (emailing/bbm/music). I always get a full day and just plug it in at night.
    As for the camera, it doesn't focus closer than about 9 to 12", but it gives a kick @ss image otherwise. I don't know why all the complaints about the camera. I figure its just a phone camera anyways, if I want to do some serious photography, ill pull out my DSLR.
    Jeff
    Last edited by jefftam68; 02-05-12 at 10:02 AM.
    dmann96 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:56 AM
    Yeah the camera thing blows my mind a little. I like to use that actual settings versus just leaving it on 'Auto'. I think that makes a big difference too when it comes to what the picture looks like. The only thing that I want to make sure the camera is decent since the phone is always with me it does tend to capture more of life's immediate moments.
    02-05-12 10:00 AM
    The only thing with the cameras that don't have auto focus is they don't take close up pictures of text well unless you know how to set them to do so. If you aren't taking pictures of close up text then I think it's a non factor and the edof actually does a great job of taking pics.
    dmann96 likes this.
    02-05-12 10:19 AM
    nfc isnt available for the 9810 unfortunately.
    02-05-12 10:22 AM
    Yeah I am thinking that I might go with the 9810 if the NFC can't be enabled on the 9900 with an "unofficial" OS version. I just don't know. Guess I am hoping to be persuaded. Funny thing is I was all over the 9900 until it came time to pull the trigger now I am hemming and hawing about what to get.
    02-05-12 10:33 AM
    Yeah the camera thing blows my mind a little. I like to use that actual settings versus just leaving it on 'Auto'. I think that makes a big difference too when it comes to what the picture looks like. The only thing that I want to make sure the camera is decent since the phone is always with me it does tend to capture more of life's immediate moments.
    Yea I dont understand why others get discouraged about getting this phone because of the lack of autofocus, I figure if you're standing still the picture will turn out fine either way, lol. Autofocus is a nice feature but the lack of it dont make this phone any less functional.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    dmann96 likes this.
    02-05-12 10:37 AM
    In my family so far the 98xx form factor rules. With ATT we do not lose any high end functions. For us NFC can wait for BB 10 phones.

The 9810 camera does a very good job. A friend with a 9900 makes wonderful landscape pics with his phone. Both devices are excellent representatives of BB today.
    dmann96 likes this.
    02-05-12 10:46 AM
    Maybe I should get the 9810 for the wife and the 9900 for me ... Best of both worlds Plus then I can play with both at the same time. If one really trumps the other then I can use the 30 days to switch.
    kbz1960 and jafobabe like this.
    02-05-12 10:49 AM
    have you looked at the 9860, thats a great choice as well onless your into physical keys.
    02-05-12 11:17 AM
    Best thing I recommend is trying out the device that YOU like the most. Give all of them a try and then make a final decision. It's better for you anyways.

Just my $2.
    02-05-12 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD