Ive found some threads that seemed to address my issue but I could'nt get them to work. So, heres my problem. When I connect my BB to my PC it connects for a couple of seconds and then disconnects on its own. Does anyone have step by step by step instructions on how to get me up and running again? It just stopped connecting all of a sudden. Im have DM 5.0.1 running and my OS on my PC is XP and the OS on my BB is 4.5.138. Please help me out here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
    05-18-10 03:19 PM
    Have you tried enabling Mass Storage Mode? If you do this your pc will see your bb as a removable drive. Menu/Options/Memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 04:53 PM
    I have mass storage enabled. I have done all the obvious checks. Its funny cuz it shows that it connects and then about 2 seconds later it disconnects itself.
    05-18-10 04:57 PM
    This may be a silly question, but are you sure that the USB connections all work (i.e. the USB port on your computer functions properly, the cord itself isn't damaged, etc.)?
    05-18-10 05:01 PM
    Im sure all the ports work. I tested them with other hardware and my computer recognizes them. Any reason why it shows connected for a couple of seconds and then disconnects? Someone out there has got to have had the same problem before. Just need to hear from that one person who knows what I'm talking about and knows the fix.
    05-18-10 05:05 PM
    Uninstall and reinstall black berry desktop manager. If that does not make a difference than reload software on blackberry (information will need to be backed up to sim card and mem card) . Make sure u have device software downloaded and installed. From blackberry.com > software > device software. Method #1 fir reloading software when desktop manager fails to detect the device. Preform a force detect by removing the battery plug into comp select application loader click start under update software heading if device passwod box displays enter device password (if u have set up one) if not then leave blank and click ok. Select software under software updates heading. Click next. Click settings under device back up options. Make sure delet all application data and delet all currently installed application boxes are checked make sire auto back up and restore during process is not checked so u get a clean install. Then click ok then click next then finish and wait for it to load. Method #2. Make sure desktop manager is closed have device plugged in with batt in device. Click start > local disk c drive> program files> common files> reserched in motion > apploader>loader. It will pull up app loader = loader.exe (for when desktop managers app loader fails) it will pull up application loader wizard > next > communication port selection hit next > device application selection make sure blackberry system software shows on the list and is checked, scroll through list and make sure anything els you want on your phone is checked> next > the advanced button (above the finish button)> delet app data and delet currently installed app is checked > auto back up not checked> ok> finish. If all els fails try diff USB chord. Try diff USB port. You may have to contact rim if none of these steps resolve the issue. Ps if your running window vista 64 bit. It may cause issues with desktop manager program.

05-19-10 02:47 AM
    Not sure if one of my posts was one you read about.
    Is this on a work PC connected to a network?

The BB usually wants to take a drive letter already assigned. It will "clunk" and make the connect sound, but WON'T override the existing network drive and will not show up. Try restarting the PC in safe mode WITHOUT networking with the BB plugged in. If the BB shows, it will likely be in the position of your network drive. REMAP the BB to an available letter that ISN'T being used by any network drives. Restart the PC as normal and it should pop right into it's new location with the network drive intact.
    05-19-10 09:10 AM
    I know exactly what you mean.

USB Troubleshooting

I suspect your Windows BlackBerry Driver has become corrupted and no longer calls home.

The driver that you need is part of the BlackBerry Desktop Software pacakge. The simplest way to correct is Re-install from your Windows control panel.
    05-19-10 09:48 AM
    I also had issues with the pins in the BB device's port that caused something similar. One was slightly off - took a slight bend with a very small screwdriver to correct it.
    05-19-10 10:16 AM
    Not sure if one of my posts was one you read about.
    Is this on a work PC connected to a network?

The BB usually wants to take a drive letter already assigned. It will "clunk" and make the connect sound, but WON'T override the existing network drive and will not show up. Try restarting the PC in safe mode WITHOUT networking with the BB plugged in. If the BB shows, it will likely be in the position of your network drive. REMAP the BB to an available letter that ISN'T being used by any network drives. Restart the PC as normal and it should pop right into it's new location with the network drive intact.
    Thanks for the reply, but this is a pc at home not connected to a network.
    05-19-10 03:28 PM
    Well I tried all suggestions and nothing seemed to work. Guess its the phone. Its just weird to me that it is recognized for about 2 seconds and then disconnects itself. Also some additional info. Before this started happening, I was getting an error message saying my sd card had a corrupted file on it and blah blah blah, needed to be corrected. So I used an adapter to fix the card but now I cant access the files on my card that were on it before I got the error message. THey are still on the card because the same amount of space on the card is used up prior to the error message, i just cant see them. So thats why I was trying to use my phone as a drive to move them onto my pc and format the card. Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    05-19-10 04:18 PM
    Try removing the media card. If your BlackBerry connects correctly, you have narrowed the problem to the media card.

You can check your settings at: Options / Media Card for Support:On and Auto Enable Mass Storage ...:Yes.
    05-19-10 04:52 PM
    Reed,

Thanks for all your help but I took the media card out and nothing new. Still the same. Any ideas on how to fix my media card. Its and 8 gb card. Before I got the error message from my phone there was 2.1 gb left of memory. Now that the error message is gone I still have the same amount of memory left but I cant access any of the files. I cant see any folders on my card. I have put about 10 or so pictures on the card after the fact so the card works. Just want to get the old files back. Any ideas?
    05-19-10 05:06 PM
    Please help! I have a pc but do not have the internet. I have a blackberry storm with a disk that would allow my pc to recognize my blackberry storm but it requires the internet. What in the world do I do to get it to recognize it so I can transfer pics to computer and music to my phone? I'm frustrated but hold onto the belief that there is a way somehow, somewhere.

-vampathy

P.S. or do I just need to get a scandisk cruzer drive that the media card with fit into to transfer everything and bypass the setup disk all together?
    Last edited by vampathy; 06-03-10 at 03:25 PM.
    06-03-10 03:23 PM
    Vamp check albee or Reeds post above on mass storage mode. Isaemm try another cable it's a dumb suggestion but easily tested!

06-03-10 05:03 PM
    I found out the other day that some front or side USB slots are not strong enough to recognize the phone. I had to move to the USB slots on the back of my computer.
    06-03-10 08:38 PM
    Maybe your BB has gone stupid, Try a battery pull (remove the battery, wait a few seconds, and put the battery back in) also, remove the card and clean both card contacts with alcohol on a Q-tip or something that won't leave stuff behind.
    06-03-10 10:43 PM
    Albee, thanks I tried mass storage mode enabled and it still didn't work. When I pulled up Windows media player to see try a few things and see if I could figure it out it recognized it for all of 2 seconds and then didn't. When I tried all of the drives it said nothing was in them. I used the same drive my cruzer goes in and it has no problem with it. I dunno...
    06-04-10 09:52 AM
    If you've eliminated everything else then the problem could be that the USB port in your Blackberry is on the fritz. I'm not sure how you test that without going to a repair center, but that may be your problem.
    06-04-10 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD