OK, I know that Verizon's GPS is not crippled, but... I cannot get ANY 3rd party app or the native BBmaps to work unless I first start Verizon's Navigator (for $10 per month). I have to invoke VZ navigator every time, then kill it, before any 3rd party app works. This method will work until the next battery pull then I have to start s VZ Nav app again before any of the useful apps work. This is my 2nd Tour. The first one had a bad GPS. This one's a little better, at least it works after VZ Nav tries to start ( and it often fails to find the GPS). Afterward, BBmaps, Google Maps work great, but why do I have to pay $120/year to get them to work.

BTW, I have tried repeatedly to start these other apps after a battery pull to no avail. They only work if VZ navigator starts first AND IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK AT ALL! It fails to find the GPS every time. But after that all the other apps work fine.

Any ideas?

FA
    Last edited by Floont; 11-09-09 at 06:52 PM.
    11-08-09 06:43 PM
    LOL nice attitude to have PS
    11-08-09 06:50 PM
    In Options/Advanced/gps do you have the gps "location on" as the setting and not 911?

Have you given those apps an opportunity to find the gps OUTSIDE with a clear view of the sky?
    11-08-09 08:54 PM
    shouldn't be that bad. I get 10 satellites inside my house.
    11-08-09 10:39 PM
    If you don't need turn-by-turn voice navigation, you can try MGMaps. It uses Google maps and you don't need data unless you need to calculate the path.
    11-09-09 08:44 AM
    In Options/Advanced/gps do you have the gps "location on" as the setting and not 911?

Have you given those apps an opportunity to find the gps OUTSIDE with a clear view of the sky?
    Yes and Yes.

Oh and the Verizon employee comment was uncalled for. My apologies.

FA
    11-09-09 06:48 PM
    shouldn't be that bad. I get 10 satellites inside my house.
    Can I come over to your house?

FA
    11-09-09 06:49 PM
    If you don't need turn-by-turn voice navigation, you can try MGMaps. It uses Google maps and you don't need data unless you need to calculate the path.
    Thanks for the response, but the GPS cannot be accessed unless VZnavigator has been used at least once. After that, any app that uses GPS works great.

FA
    11-09-09 06:51 PM
    I am very happy you got one of the Tours that has a working GPS. If anything seems defective on it in the future, don't exchange it unless you absolutely must. You'll likely get one with a bum GPS.
    11-09-09 07:05 PM
    I have learned that the first application to grab the gps, seems to own it. I removed several applications, and set others so they cannot use the gps. With that, I can use google maps with the gps (verizon 9630) without a problem. If I try to use multiple apps, they all fight for the gps, and nothing works.

Poynt, for example, seems to grab the gps when the blackberry boots up. I don't know how that is possible, but when I set it so poynt can't use the gps, every time I boot the phone it asks for it.

I liked 411 Search on my 8330, which of course didn't have access to the gps. I couldn't get any gps application to work on the 9630, until I actually removed 411 Search.
    11-09-09 07:35 PM
    Hmmm. Food for thought. I'll have to check if there are any apps that are tying up the GPS. Whatever is causing this symptom, VZnav grabs the GPS for itself, then the other apps that use GPS work great, but then VZnav no longer works. Very bizarre symptoms. I may do a wipe and start over to see if the GPS is freed up and put apps back one by one until something breaks, then I'll have the culprit.

FA
    11-10-09 06:56 PM
    Just got my VZW Tour on Friday, and I love it so far. My first one died on me on Monday, and I went to the store and picked another one up same day.

With the first one, I had Google Maps installed with no other GPS programs and it found my location fine using GPS to within 5 meters.

With the second one, I installed VZ Navigator before Google Maps. VZ Navigator works fine now, but Google Maps says 'waiting for GPS' and then 'GPS temporarily unavailable'.

I've already confirmed the GPS is set to 'Location On'.

I've tried starting VZ Navigator first and doing a 'Follow Me' map, and then starting Google Maps to see if the GPS will work, and it still does not work. Very frustrating. Any ideas?
    UPDATE: I uninstalled Google Maps, did a battery pull, and re-installed. Still nothing.
    UPDATE 2: I set the application permissions for VZ Navigator to Deny all permissions, rebooted, and still same issue, no GPS in Google Maps. This sucks.
    Last edited by Zocchi21; 11-11-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update
    11-11-09 11:45 AM
    the gps on the tour is a joke...i have the 8900 and that picks up a gps signal much faster...maybe it is because of so many firmware revisions?
    11-11-09 12:14 PM
    ...to see if the GPS will work, and it still does not work. Very frustrating. Any ideas?
    UPDATE: I uninstalled Google Maps, did a battery pull, and re-installed. Still nothing.
    UPDATE 2: I set the application permissions for VZ Navigator to Deny all permissions, rebooted, and still same issue, no GPS in Google Maps. This sucks.
    Wow, that's a tough one because you can't prove to your VZW tech rep that you have a GPS problem because their overpriced app works. Check to see how accurate it really is. VZnav will use triangulation with GPS, if it doesn't have enough satellites. Google maps will either triangulate OR use satellites but not do a hydrid of the two.

BTW, does BBmaps works at all after you get VZnav working then shutdown?
    11-11-09 01:50 PM
    the gps on the tour is a joke...i have the 8900 and that picks up a gps signal much faster...maybe it is because of so many firmware revisions?
    No argument here. I'm always amazed when anything works on it. Sometimes the ringer decides to not ring at seemingly random times. You'd think a phone would always have a ring unless you deliberately turned it off.
    11-11-09 01:54 PM
    Wow, that's a tough one because you can't prove to your VZW tech rep that you have a GPS problem because their overpriced app works. Check to see how accurate it really is. VZnav will use triangulation with GPS, if it doesn't have enough satellites. Google maps will either triangulate OR use satellites but not do a hydrid of the two.

BTW, does BBmaps works at all after you get VZnav working then shutdown?
    Just tried running BB Maps for the first time on my new Tour, and it would not find any satellites, but VZ Nav got GPS pretty quickly and it's right on.

Just walked outside my office into the middle of Times Square. BB Maps found a GPS signal pretty quickly, although it's about a block off. I checked Google Maps with BB Maps GPS still running and the GPS was working on that fine.

Closed BB Maps and Google Maps was still working fine. I suppose it could have been that I'm in my office with no clear view of the sky, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, this is my second Tour and the first one worked fine with Google Maps while sitting at my desk.

Regardless, GPS seems to be working fine now, I can't complain.
    11-11-09 02:27 PM
    try enabling or disabling "location aiding" and see if that has any effect.
    11-11-09 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD