Hi there,

I've just got a BlackBerry Bold after owning an iPhone for a year or so. I must say I am loving it, although I am having one or two problems with my email.

I used the handset setup to add my Gmail address, and while it sends and receives fine, it is automatically forwarding a copy of all mail I send from my device back to me.

I have had a look around the forum and while it appears to be a fairly common problem, I can't seem to sort it out.

I can't log into BIS from my computer as it says I have already created an account when I enter my PIN/IMEI, and when I try to forward my user info to my handset, I get an email saying 'no user found'.

I'm in the UK, and on O2. Hopefully this can be resolved without calling O2 who I expect will be most unhelpful and lacking knowledge of what I'm talking about.

I can get into my email settings on the handset and the auto-BCC field is empty.

Also, can I get the handset to use IMAP with Gmail? It's enabled on my Gmail, and my mail.app on my computer is also configured to use IMAP, although judging by the email behaviour on the BlackBerry, it appears to be using POP, for example, when I read a mail on my handset, it doesn't show as read on my computer.

Advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    12-20-08 02:23 PM
    I used the handset setup to add my Gmail address, and while it sends and receives fine, it is automatically forwarding a copy of all mail I send from my device back to me.

I have had a look around the forum and while it appears to be a fairly common problem, I can't seem to sort it out.
    This is covered in the Tips FAQ, and How To forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/

I can't log into BIS from my computer as it says I have already created an account when I enter my PIN/IMEI, and when I try to forward my user info to my handset, I get an email saying 'no user found'.
    Call your carrier, they will be able to sort it out for you.

Also, can I get the handset to use IMAP with Gmail?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ervices-18788/
    12-20-08 02:40 PM
    Thanks for the links.

Ah well, looks like I will be calling o2 then.

I just hope they have at least one person there who actually know's what BIS is. I'm not too hopeful I must admit.

Thanks again.
    12-20-08 02:43 PM
    I found an option in the handset BIS to create user details.

Fortunately this appears to solve the problem!
    12-20-08 02:47 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I ran into that myself when trying to log on to my carrier BIS account. The solution was to run the Setup Wizard again. I recreated the account and then it worked!
    12-20-08 02:49 PM
    One more thing!

How do I run a software update on the handset if say an OS update is released?

Will it notify me or do I need to manually enable it somehow?

I'm using a Mac and there doesn't appear to be a desktop app compatible at the moment.
    12-20-08 03:07 PM
    Ahh... a Macintosh user.

Research in Motion has promised full Macintosh support, some day. Until then, you may what to borrow some time on a Windows computer for BlackBerry maintenance.

When a new device upgrade is available, the carrier will often notify you or you can be sure it will be big news around here.
    12-20-08 03:12 PM
    Hope all this advice has helped and welcome aboard!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 03:16 PM
    Lucky for you, RIM has a simple, comprehensive, foolproof solution for Mac and Linux users who need to do upgrade their OS: use a Windows computer. I don't use Windows for anything, not even iTunes or games, and I STILL had to use Windows to get 4.5 for my beloved BB.
    12-21-08 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD