Oh no...
    My worst nightmare just happened.
    I left my food on my bed, and walked away to go train the puppy.
    I came back to find that my Chihuahua, had knocked over my soda and stole all my food.

Guess where the soda landed.

Yes. Smack Down, on my berry.
    I clicked a button, and it lit up like normal.
    I rushed, and popped the battery out, the memory card, the trackball....
    I dried it off with a towel as much as I could.
    Then threw it in rice.
    Rice got stuck inside the little holes and I hear it shaking around in my phone.
    I left it in the rice for about 30 minutes. It turned on.
    My keyboard is fried. My buttons are fried.
    It will turn on.. but I get no response when pressing buttons.

I threw it back in the rice. I'm going to leave it in there overnight, and hope for the best.
    I don't know if I will be able to replace it. We have a special government plan.. I have warranty, but I don't know if that will cover it. I'm not sure if I can afford a replacement, and I have no other phone.

I'm seriously sooo upset right now. I know some of you feel my pain.
    Maybe, it won't work... and things work out at the Verizon store, and I can get the Tour. But I doubt that...

I haven't done a backup file of it, in a LONG time. I'm going to see if I can do one real quick.. since it doesn't really consist of me touching buttons.. Maybe if I get a replacement, that will work.

Oh... what a sad night.
    I had to share with my crackberry community.
    08-11-09 08:58 PM
    Sorry to hear that. I've heard way too many stories of animals destroying electronics--the exact reason why I'd never have an animal.
    08-11-09 09:00 PM
    It is my fault for leaving my food and drink exposed for her.
    Animals are amazing creatures... My little Chi is my pride and joy.
    She is an award winning chi, model, certified with the AKC as a Canine Good Citizen, and a Therapy Dog. Yes, animals can destroy your things, but people.. and yourself can do it just as much.
    08-11-09 09:03 PM
    Make sure you do not turn it on until thoroughly dried out. One
    of your biggest problems is going to be the sugar making
    everything sticky.
    08-11-09 09:03 PM
    everything sticky.
    Exactly, the sugar is definitley an issue, removing it is the hard part, and powering up a device while it's components are still wet can be fatal for a BlackBerry...
    08-11-09 09:07 PM
    everything sticky.
    Yeah, I dried it towel the best I could... Then after 30 mins of riced, swabbed it down with a little alcohol on cleaning pad. Then tried it, but got the fried keyboard response. I'm going to leave it in the rice and hope for the best.
    08-11-09 09:08 PM
    Did you have the insurance??? If so just put in a claim lol. If it makes you feel any better you can get a curve on here or ebay pretty cheap these days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 09:11 PM
    Yo quiero BB, no chihuaha. Hay, caramba!!!

Sorry about that...good luck with getting it dried out and running again.
    08-11-09 11:37 PM
    Yeah, I dried it towel the best I could... Then after 30 mins of riced, swabbed it down with a little alcohol on cleaning pad. Then tried it, but got the fried keyboard response. I'm going to leave it in the rice and hope for the best.
    I think you powered the phone on way too soon.
    08-11-09 11:39 PM
    Never, ever turn it to see if it works while it's still wet. Will fry things to a crisp. Here's a great link to a post on BBGeeks.com

What to do if your BlackBerry gets wet | BB Geeks
    08-11-09 11:41 PM
    It was completely dry when I checked it out.. (that I knew of)
    I'm filing a claim tonight.. A replacement should be in tomorrow.
    Thank you guys. (:

Question Though,
    I'm about to do a backup of my berry... Will this backup my apps, games, themes.. etc..?
    Last edited by AshlynLovesHerBB; 08-12-09 at 05:04 PM.
    08-12-09 04:55 PM
    The liquid itself may not be the issue here, if it was Coke then drying it was not so good. You should have pulled the battery and threw it in a tub of pure rubbing alcohol. Coke has a lot of acid and will completely destroy electronics.

I suspect regular water causes some kind of damage but I doubt it shorts the phone out. Water is a poor conductor and the BlackBerry is a low power device.

I have seen one BlackBerry submerged in salt water come back to life but only for a few months before it died again. Corrosion I suspect.
    08-12-09 05:18 PM
    Well.... Just going to create a backup file, and after powering it on.....
    Everything is working 100 percent fine. Every single button, option, camera, speaker, calling... Several Hours ago it wasn't, now Poof! My Berry came back to life. I'm relieved.
    Hopefully it won't die on my again in the future...
    I was looking forward to a nice brand new one. But hey, as long as I have my baby still. Maybe, I will just get a new housing, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Last edited by AshlynLovesHerBB; 08-12-09 at 05:24 PM.
    08-12-09 05:21 PM
    Thats cool, glad to hear it. Ive seen quite a few devices take an extended leave of absence because of liquids. Most have come back to life at some point, an ex of mine spilled margarita on her laptop once, it was still functional but was quite sticky.
    08-12-09 05:37 PM
    Thats cool, glad to hear it. Ive seen quite a few devices take an extended leave of absence because of liquids. Most have come back to life at some point, an ex of mine spilled margarita on her laptop once, it was still functional but was quite sticky.
    Wow! A Margariita on a laptop!? I would have been in shock!
    08-12-09 05:39 PM
    Wow! A Margariita on a laptop!? I would have been in shock!
    Lol, we were both in shock. Partly because we were freaking out about losing the laptop and partly cause that was the last of the margarita!!
    08-12-09 05:46 PM
    Well.... Just going to create a backup file, and after powering it on.....
    Everything is working 100 percent fine.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Great outcome.
    08-12-09 05:58 PM
    What kind of rice did you use?
    08-26-09 02:28 PM
    What kind of rice did you use?
    Wouldn't that need to be mexican rice, since there was a chihuahua involved?
    08-26-09 03:16 PM
    Wouldn't that need to be mexican rice, since there was a chihuahua involved?
    Most definately! I say get insurance next time. The OP said they don't know if its covered by the warranty... its not obviously this was damage cause by you... Try the rice and like everyone said don't turn it on. To get rid of the sticky try some isopropyl works magic.
    08-26-09 03:19 PM
    Just an FYI: One trick we've used over the years concerning spillage, chihuahua related or otherwise, if it's anything sticky, sweet or anything but clear water.... Remove the battery and immediately take the component and douse it in clear water, shake vigorously and then proceed with the drying and rice procedure as usual. You're not likely to hurt it any more than it is and you stand a chance to bring it back to life for a while.
    08-26-09 03:38 PM
    I'm glad your puppy has a wonderful "pet parent" and a loving home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 08:35 PM
    Be careful. A lot of insurance isn't covering water damage anymore.
    08-26-09 08:55 PM
    Oh no, sorry to hear that and soda is the worst because it leaves everything sticky, thats probably why the rice got stuck. If you have insurance you'll probably only have to pay $100 to replace the phone.
    08-26-09 09:11 PM
    OP, remember to ....(from our Forum Posting Rules)......

Use a Descriptive Title
    This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'someone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: �My Pearl will not show myFaves icons� or �How do I use BB Maps on my 8100�
    08-26-09 09:59 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD