Thanks for throwing that jnfo. Didn't know

From my White Z30
    02-27-14 02:07 PM
    Interesting. So Nexus 5 users on Sprint are at their carrier's mercy?
    Yes. unfortunately. It's one of many reasons that CDMA can't die soon enough. (It will be gone in about 4-5 years.)
    02-27-14 04:15 PM
    You know how I updated from my first 10.2.1. to 10.2.1.2141?

Basically I didn't. I just got a notification out of the blue pushed to my HUB. As I opened it, it said the new OS was just installed. Yeah, a complete OS update running in the background without me even noticing it. So what's your point?
    I'm on rogers and I was on 10.2.1.1925. Mine automatically updated me to 10.2.1.2141 it even restarted without me knowing. I go on my phone and there was a pop up that said my OS is now 10.2.1.2102. :P

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 08:50 AM
    [...] , though you can certainly criticize the company for shipping the code as it did and then not discovering the problem in a more timely fashion.
    I'd criticize them for using "goto" statements in such an important piece of code. Nearly every beginning programming textbook or course worth its salt advises us that using "goto" statements in this day and age is atrocious programming practice.

I hope that software engineers at Apple and other companies take a lesson from this.
    03-01-14 09:07 AM
    I'm on rogers and I was on 10.2.1.1925. Mine automatically updated me to 10.2.1.2141 it even restarted without me knowing. I go on my phone and there was a pop up that said my OS is now 10.2.1.2102. :P

Posted via CB10
    That's all good and dandy for the "fortunate" ones. Unfortunately, there are still some folks in USA that don't have the most current OS update.
    03-01-14 09:39 AM
    Just got an OS update for my Apple devices without any fuss. I wish BlackBerry will soon break all its carriers shackles and shenanigans and just push out all the OS updates quietly and seamlessly.
    Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream.
    That would be glorious. I suspect the good folks at BlackBerry wish they had the same luxury too. Especially the folks who handle customer service in the US! :-)

Unfortunately, I think it's all a matter of BlackBerry having longstanding contracts with carriers that have detailed clauses that specify the carriers test and approve any update. In the case of Apple, Jobs had the benefit of seeing how it slowed BlackBerry down and pushed to have total control over the update process. As far as I know, Apple is actually the only mobile company that can get away with this.

Be nice if BlackBerry could go back and re-write their contracts. Or even in certain markets (cough - US), push for an ammendment that if the carriers don't launch in a certain time period, BlackBerry will go live without carrier approval.

While we're dreaming ...
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-01-14 at 10:13 AM.
    03-01-14 09:45 AM
    That would be slow glorious. I suspect the good folks at BlackBerry wish they had the same luxury too. Especially the folks who handle customer service in the US! :-)

Unfortunately, I think it's all a matter of BlackBerry having longstanding contracts with carriers that have detailed clauses that specify the carriers test and approve any update. In the case of Apple, Jobs had the benefit of seeing how it slowed BlackBerry down and pushed to have total control over the update process. As far as I know, Apple is actually the only mobile company that can get away with this.

Be nice if BlackBerry could go back and re-write their contracts. Or even in certain markets (cough - US), push for an ammendment that if the carriers don't launch in a certain time period, BlackBerry will go live without carrier approval.

While we're dreaming ...
    Total agree with you Yep, it doesn't hurt to dream sometimes.
    03-01-14 10:02 AM
    I disagree with the ease of update, I support a major government health system in Canada, and all the corporate iPhones needed an update. Many couldn't update unless in wifi, many couldn't completed the update and then immediately asked to be connected to iTunes, essentially bricking the phone. Many unhappy corporate users here....

Posted via CB10
    It'll be funny when that happens with the USAF in the middle of a war, lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 01:38 PM
58 123