Just got an OS update for my Apple devices without any fuss. I wish BlackBerry will soon break all its carriers shackles and shenanigans and just push out all the OS updates quietly and seamlessly.
    Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream.

OOPS!! the word "easy" in the title heading should be "EASE"
    Last edited by wincyUt; 02-27-14 at 09:42 AM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-26-14 10:42 AM
    They have improved a lot in one year since BB10 came out.

And if BlackBerry had such a bad security issue, it would probably get updated even faster.
    Stewartj1 and AndreyLepher like this.
    02-26-14 11:21 AM
    Agreed, but it won't be easy to go to such an implementation for all carriers. TMO US with its WiFi calling (WFC) would probably never allow BB to release a WFC build without testing it. This is the reason I suspect why neither the Nexus phones nor iPhones on TMO have WFC.
    zclash likes this.
    02-26-14 11:24 AM
    I think Apple is quick to update their OS is the recent news that they have a serious Security issue which was known to them since Sept 2012 and only now is being addressed. It is so serious it has been on mainstream news since last Friday.

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    02-26-14 11:26 AM
    I agree... it IS easier to get yet another version of iOS riddled with security flaws!
    Here is yet ANOTHER ONE after yesterdays fix...
    Second Apple iOS security flaw exposed - Telegraph

Who cares about Apple any more?
    raino and Grumblegrumble like this.
    02-26-14 11:28 AM
    One major update in a year instead of 3 major updates. You are right, that is much easier.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:49 AM
    I'm sure that BlackBerry is doing some serious evaluations of the OS Updates delivery structure. Could anyone here say that BlackBerry's present form/method of OS updates is optimal?
    02-26-14 02:31 PM
    Agreed, but it won't be easy to go to such an implementation for all carriers. TMO US with its WiFi calling (WFC) would probably never allow BB to release a WFC build without testing it. This is the reason I suspect why neither the Nexus phones nor iPhones on TMO have WFC.
    That is correct on WFC. I know everyone is impatient but Samsung is just now updating the S4 to KitKat four months later after its debut on Nexus 5 due to all the steps it takes for validation from OEM to chipsets to carrier so BB isn't doing too bad.
    02-26-14 02:50 PM
    I think Apple is quick to update their OS is the recent news that they have a serious Security issue which was known to them since Sept 2012 and only now is being addressed. It is so serious it has been on mainstream news since last Friday.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah this isn't true. September 2012 is when the first iOS version to include the flaw was released; it's not the moment Apple learned of the flaw. Once they became aware of the flaw they got the fix out in good time, though you can certainly criticize the company for shipping the code as it did and then not discovering the problem in a more timely fashion.

I agree... it IS easier to get yet another version of iOS riddled with security flaws!
    Here is yet ANOTHER ONE after yesterdays fix...
    Second Apple iOS security flaw exposed - Telegraph
    This is all well and good as long as BBRY doesn't have any similar problems, though they certainly aren't updating their OS quite as regularly as Apple's annual cycle. To BBRY's credit, they haven't had any issues like this, but at the same time, if they do ever have one history suggests they won't be able to patch it easily.
    TgeekB and mikeo007 like this.
    02-26-14 03:22 PM
    One major update in a year instead of 3 major updates. You are right, that is much easier.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, especially when the major updates you are getting from BB are things that have been on other phones for years.
    02-26-14 04:54 PM
    Yeah this isn't true. September 2012 is when the first iOS version to include the flaw was released; it's not the moment Apple learned of the flaw. Once they became aware of the flaw they got the fix out in good time, though you can certainly criticize the company for shipping the code as it did and then not discovering the problem in a more timely fashion.

This is all well and good as long as BBRY doesn't have any similar problems, though they certainly aren't updating their OS quite as regularly as Apple's annual cycle. To BBRY's credit, they haven't had any issues like this, but at the same time, if they do ever have one history suggests they won't be able to patch it easily.
    Yeah, Apple does everything right. All the time. Or... not.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 05:01 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that one solution would be for BlackBerry to separate its radio software updates from its OS updates. This way BlackBerry can give direct OS updates to the customers without waiting for carrier approval. IMO that would be the ideal solution that should make both sides happy.
    02-26-14 05:26 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that one solution would be for BlackBerry to separate its radio software updates from its OS updates. This way BlackBerry can give direct OS updates to the customers without waiting for carrier approval. IMO that would be the ideal solution that should make both sides happy.
    If I remember correctly, BlackBerry was planning to do this (hence why the radio is entirely separate from the rest of the OS), but none of the carriers let them - they still want to approve the full OS. We can only hope Chen and his team have better luck negotiating with carriers, but it's a long shot. Even Samsung hasn't been able to get around this problem.
    02-26-14 05:34 PM
    Yeah, Apple does everything right. All the time. Or... not.

Posted via CB10
    One, it's not an either/or. Two, it helps if you read the whole post, so that you see where I wrote this:

"Once they became aware of the flaw they got the fix out in good time, though you can certainly criticize the company for shipping the code as it did and then not discovering the problem in a more timely fashion."

You were saying?
    02-26-14 06:30 PM
    They could push updates for individual bar files in BlackBerry World except for the radio to bypass carriers for new features
    Grumblegrumble and SK122387 like this.
    02-26-14 06:34 PM
    Apple's updates are weird. Sometimes I think they're the greatest, other times, I can't believe the way they mess things up.

Since OS X Mavericks, which they so nicely gave us for free, my screen saver hasn't worked, and my retina Mac Book Pro won't put itself to sleep. I'm not alone--I've read that this issue is widespread, and no one has really been able to get it working again.

Is this the end of the world? No. But on a $2,000 laptop, I'd expect screensavers to work. Yes, I can turn off the screen by pressing the power button, but that's beside the point.

Imagine if BlackBerry had a $2,000 device (oh wait, they do), and the screen remained on unless the user hit the power button, or worse, the battery died? Can you imagine the articles and headlines? It would be seen as unforgivable, and yet another grave mistake "for the struggling Canadian smartphone company" or the "beleaguered Canadian smartphone pioneer" (two of the go-to descriptions of BlackBerry these days).
    02-26-14 06:37 PM
    Apple's updates are weird. Sometimes I think they're the greatest, other times, I can't believe the way they mess things up.

Since OS X Mavericks, which they so nicely gave us for free, my screen saver hasn't worked, and my retina Mac Book Pro won't put itself to sleep. I'm not alone--I've read that this issue is widespread, and no one has really been able to get it working again.

Is this the end of the world? No. But on a $2,000 laptop, I'd expect screensavers to work. Yes, I can turn off the screen by pressing the power button, but that's beside the point.

Imagine if BlackBerry had a $2,000 device (oh wait, they do), and the screen remained on unless the user hit the power button, or worse, the battery died? Can you imagine the articles and headlines? It would be seen as unforgivable, and yet another grave mistake "for the struggling Canadian smartphone company" or the "beleaguered Canadian smartphone pioneer" (two of the go-to descriptions of BlackBerry these days).
    "The embattled smartphone maker "
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-26-14 06:41 PM
    Just got an OS update for my Apple devices without any fuss. I wish BlackBerry will soon break all its carriers shackles and shenanigans and just push out all the OS updates quietly and seamlessly.
    The only problem is American carriers, I'm pretty sure most of the world even third world countries have 10.2.1 within a month of a release.

10.2.1 was the 2nd fastest global release ever, which is crazy. iOS bypasses carriers..

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 06:42 PM
    It's worth noting that the SSL flaw that is being patched is also used in the iOS update procedure. You may want to think twice about updating your iOS device when on a questionable WIFI source or having it set to autoupdate when on WIFI. Although unlikely, an MITM attacker could actually send you a modified version of the OS and because of the bug it would think it is from a legit source.
    02-26-14 06:49 PM
    "The embattled smartphone maker "
    YES.

And "Former tech giant," and "once wildly popular smartphone manufacturer," followed by the mentioning of how BlackBerry was "once beloved by athletes and celebrities," and "movers and shakers."

Also the ever present "...which has lost marketshare to rivals Google and Apple over the years" or "...which has seen its marketshare crumble in recent years."

I'm ready to write for BGR now.
    02-26-14 06:49 PM
    Is it your position that the use of the terms "struggling" and "beleaguered" is unfair? I ask because the reasons under the facts as we know them, those terms would be applied regardless of whether the $2,000 device works or not.
    02-26-14 06:54 PM
    Is it your position that the use of the terms "struggling" and "beleaguered" is unfair? I ask because the reasons under the facts as we know them, those terms would be applied regardless of whether the $2,000 device works or not.
    They're not unfair, but they're tired and stale, and people who are paid to write should invest in a dictionary and a thesaurus and come up with some other synonyms.
    02-26-14 07:34 PM
    September 2012 is when the first iOS version to include the flaw was released; It's not the moment Apple learned of the flaw.
    Source?
    02-26-14 07:55 PM
    I'm sorry but Apple is the most annoying OS out there...

Posted using my Z10
    02-26-14 07:58 PM
    In actuality, yes Apple may have the upper hand in releasing the OS direct to consumer, but remember most of these quick little updates like the recent 7.0.6 was to fix a problem. It was an update, not an Upgrade. Apple upgrades their OS with new features once a year, launched 2007 and on iOS7, 7 years later.

So once a year they provide the consumer with new features then the rest of the year stay stagnant only really pushing fixes. On the other hand, in one year or so BlackBerry jumped multiple OS that brought enhancements to the OS.

So it's all perspective, sure it'd be great if BlackBerry had more control, but don't lose sight that Apple is merely controlling minor tweaks and fixes and then one big new OS each year.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-26-14 08:18 PM
58 123