Does anyone know if I buy the Bold Touch OS7, would I be able to upgrade it to QNX in 2012?

Since QNX is supposed to come out Q1 2012, I assume that RIM does not want to get folks mad buy buying new phones that run QNX.

I would be extremely disappointed and mad. They cant be that crazy....cant they? If they do that, talk about losing Developer support?!

Any confirm links or sources that we can upgrade? I saw on the forums that someone said 'Yes, it can" but I want a source..

Thanks
    07-13-11 03:44 PM
    It's doubtful.

Apparently the strain of QNX on the processor will require dual-core and the Bold 99XX is single core 1.2GHz.

Also, I read somewhere on these forums someone said that this new line of phones coming out is essentially just to appease everyone until QNX hits.
    07-13-11 03:47 PM
    Not possibe. Os7 is as far as it goes before these QNX phones come out.

It is crazy, but a lot of people will still get os7 phones.

I am on the fence as my main upgrade isn't till Feb of 12' and hoping to hear some news on QNX phones and when they may be released, but if it is anything like with os7, then I may just get os7 as I don't want to wait close to a year on my 9700. Granted I love my 9700, just want some new hotness, lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-11 03:49 PM
    No. It will not upgrade. So don't WHINE when it doesn't happen.

Loud and clear:

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
    07-13-11 04:13 PM
    unfortunately,no it won't be able to.that is the killer for many that want QNX.if you want to head through the QNX path,then i suggest wait it out until next year.but just a fair warning to take into consideration,QNX will not be all super without bugs out the gates.other than that,QNX is a promising future for rim.
    07-13-11 09:33 PM
    I'm currently torn between hopping on the new bold or waiting for qnx. Decisions, decisions.

07-13-11 09:58 PM
    I'm currently torn between hopping on the new bold or waiting for qnx. Decisions, decisions.

Probably many BB users are in the same camp. Buy now an OS 7 phone that will be obsolete by 2012 or wait for QNX in 8 to 12 months.

Big problem for RIM also. It may suffer from "the Osbourne effect". Tepid sales in NA market as BB users wait for QNX.

I am waiting.
    07-14-11 07:37 AM
    Probably many BB users are in the same camp. Buy now an OS 7 phone that will be obsolete by 2012 or wait for QNX in 8 to 12 months.

Big problem for RIM also. It may suffer from "the Osbourne effect". Tepid sales in NA market as BB users wait for QNX.

I am waiting.
    If RIM is releasing only a single 4+" slab phone running QNX as is rumored, then do you honestly think that people that who are going to buy Bolds and prefer the form factor are going to jump on it? I see it taking more of the Storm/Monaco/Monza crowd. I don't see the entire BB world pouncing on QNX phones the day they come out.
    07-14-11 08:37 AM
    First QNX phone is going to be touch-only. Early rumor is it's going to be the only QNX phone released in 2012. It's expected that eventually all BlackBerry phones will be QNX, but there's absolutely no telling when that will be, or even when the first one with a QWERTY keyboard will come out, for that matter. I know that the OS7 phones are around the corner and they are vast improvements over the current devices; I have absolutely no idea when - or even if - a QNX phone that I want is coming. ANYTHING you buy now will be obsolete next year. So I'll take OS7 now, and then we'll see what things look like in another 12 months.

07-14-11 08:40 AM
    One of the reasons I'm not getting an OS7 device
    diegonei likes this.
    07-14-11 09:04 AM
    I tend to get what is available when I have an upgrade to use. In my opinion, if you always wait for what's next then you will never get anything.

I get an upgrade every 10 months. That makes a difference compared to a 2-3 year upgrade cycle. If I was looking at a longer time frame it might change my opinion a little.

07-14-11 10:33 AM
    It's doubtful.

Apparently the strain of QNX on the processor will require dual-core and the Bold 99XX is single core 1.2GHz.

Also, I read somewhere on these forums someone said that this new line of phones coming out is essentially just to appease everyone until QNX hits.
    Well think about how long and how many times we were lied to about having "flash graphics" on our BB's...

07-14-11 11:21 PM
    If RIM is releasing only a single 4+" slab phone running QNX as is rumored, then do you honestly think that people that who are going to buy Bolds and prefer the form factor are going to jump on it? I see it taking more of the Storm/Monaco/Monza crowd. I don't see the entire BB world pouncing on QNX phones the day they come out.
    I admire your loyalty to your form factor. And last year's Torch design represents RIM wanting to provide keyboard loyalists with larger screen for browsing and media.

Nevertheless the debate of physical keyboard vs touchscreen is over. Consumers have voted with their money--touchcreen won in slab or candybar form factor. RIM recognized this trend so first superphone will be slab-what the market wants.

Bold type form factor users are becoming a minority. To attract new users, RIM must sell more Torch type and slab type devices.
    psufan32 and travaz like this.
    07-15-11 10:54 AM
    it really doesn't matter to me. i will be buying both. holla!
    elvin1983 likes this.
    07-15-11 11:12 AM

I am waiting.
    Every phone ever bought was obsolete 9 - 12 months later. That's just the speed at which mobile technology is evolving.
    07-15-11 11:49 AM
    Every phone ever bought was obsolete 9 - 12 months later. That's just the speed at which mobile technology is evolving.
    Yes, the hardware had evolved but apparently OS 7 will have the same limitations as OS 6 and 5:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...tioned-630067/

QNX will be a fresh start worth waiting.
    07-15-11 11:59 AM
    I am running an old tour with a trac ball so it doesnt matter I have to get a new 9930
    07-15-11 12:57 PM
    I'm glad I get to upgrade late 2012 after getting a 9800, will go right into QNX
    07-15-11 02:22 PM
    My upgrade will be up in Feb...so hoping for some good info on QNX phones, however if all touch, then I just may stick to os7....or maybe take a 14 day stab on the all touch....options are always nice.

07-15-11 06:48 PM
    I'm still not a huge fan of knowing a new phone is already obsolete. I have to at least respect Apple for that; look how long they supported the 3GS. But aside from all that, all of us who love BB enough will get the new devices for the sheer joy that will come from experiencing our 'Berries on some genuinely up to date hardware.

07-16-11 08:10 AM
    I don't think that it's because it can't I think it's because RIM won't.
    07-16-11 09:48 AM
    I generally upgrade every time the leap is significant.

To me; the 9900 is a significant leap from my 9780... 624MHz to 1.2GHz!

That's worth upgrading (!) among other new features.

The next QWERTY Bold running QNX? When will that be? How long will you have to wait? It could be a while.
    07-16-11 10:12 AM
    i had a gentleman in my store today that told me he has a friend that works for RIM and guess what her job is.... to work on the new line of phones and make sur etehy can go to QNX. so it looks liek RIM is aware of the issue of people buying one phone and a few months later having to buy a better one and are trying to fix that issue. Mind you he only said this about the 9860 so im not to sure where the othe new models stand.
    07-21-11 04:38 PM
    All this talk about obsoleteness, I really think 9900/9930 will not be obsolete. There is major difference between need and want.

My opinion, that is all.
    07-21-11 05:21 PM
    I dont think there is anything foolish in buying the 9900 even though it wont go QNX. It may be the old os but it will be the ultimate version of it. The main reason for qnx is the multitasking and tbh though that is nice, it means more on the playbook then it does a cell phone.

I look forward to having a qnx phone in a few years of course, but the 9900 has that sexy keyboard so pardon my french but @+!?$ it lets do this thing!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-21-11 05:40 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD