In their instructions for connecting a Blackberry to the corporate BES server, our IT department has the employee download the "official" corporate version of the OS - which right now is 4.3.0.127. The company uses Verizon and, until last month, this was the standard Verizon OS.

Of course, Verizon has finally issued OS 4.5, and my boss would really like to upgrade so he can start using his device GPS. But he's afraid it might mess up his connection with the BES server.

So.....

1) Can the BES admin tell he's upgraded? (I'm guessing they can.)

2) Will it actually hurt anything?

3) Can the BES admin block access to the corporate mail system based solely on his OS?
    12-08-08 12:37 PM
    The BES admin will know because he will have to go ask him to re-activate him on the BES after the OS update.

It shouldnt hurt anything and as far as I am aware they can't block access from a particular OS, but like I said you will need to contact the IT department to have it re-activated, and they will probably as why.
    12-08-08 12:45 PM
    Actually depending on the BES version your device will Enterprise Activate automatically after the upgrade. I have done this with mine many times as I am constantly testing BB s/w on my device for our company.
    Just leave it plugged into the Desktop Manager after the OS upgrade is complete and also after the device is done rebooting.

Your BES Admin will not get notified that you have updated your OS, the only way they will be able to tell is if they are looking at your account if they run some type of custom report that returns the OS field from the sqldb.
    12-08-08 01:38 PM
    I stand corrected then. When we updated a bunch of devices from 4.3 to 4.5 here I had to re-active them all on the BES.
    12-08-08 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD