I haven't checked in here for a few days. My bad! What did I miss? How's everybody doing?

I've been working out decently well, but still gotta get on a proper diet. My mornings/lunches aren't too bad..but the evenings kill me.
    Hey Kevin, the diet part is one of the hardest because lets face it, there are tons of people saying tons of different things.

The best tip is, If you mess up one meal, don't sink the whole day and say, oh well, I blew it, i'll just start tomorrow.

One meal at a time folks.

Also, I've read a few posts here and all I can say is great job folks.

Hope you guys don't mind, but here are a few tips for the BEST success.

1. Lower calories (diet)

2. Cardio (interval training for 20 - 30 mins is better than a full out run for 45 - 60 mins...you'll burn more calories in less time)

3. Resistance train. Hurting isn't indicative for progress...actually, in the beginning, its the opposite. Light weight, good form, higher reps. Each week, add a little weight. If it's too much, decrease reps, but never below 12 - 15 if you're looking for weight loss.

All three are needed. Miss one, and your success is less.

Reducing calories prevents you from gaining more weight, and lets you burn off whatever you eat. Eat often, and small.

Cardio burns those extra calories your body doesn't need. So do it.

Resistance training adds lean tissue that burns calories at rest. You don't build muscle in the gym, you build it at rest...the gym tears the muscle, the rest builds it back...so get your sleep as well. Resistance training also reconfigs your bod! Running, and diet reduce your calories but wont change your body type really. It's callled skinny fat. To burn that fat, you need to change your lean tissue to fat ratio....

So all three play a role.

Now go gettem folks!
    07-14-10 11:30 AM
    It seems the bbm fitness group is kinda dead lately. You guys get in there and join. Has been some interesting conversations.

One of the hardest things for in this challenge is remembering to log my training sessions in gymtech. I guess habits take a bit of time to develop.

Another cool thing about the challenge is it's motivated me to do some actual cardio aside from indoor soccer.

Good luck all!

-Josh-
    07-14-10 04:14 PM
    I was texting a family member on why I took a day off from the gym and I thought this may be hilarious to share.

I told my party that all 3 of my right side injuries have come from exercise! I got a stress fracture in the foot becuse I starting taking the stairs instead of the elevator on the tip of fellow workers at my job. That took me out about 3 months. I got a severe lumbar strain in the lower back that landed me in Chiropractic care for over a year after I went walking in a hilly neighborhood near home. I got a bad knee that required physical therapy to recover from after I went walking the dog every morning when the pooch was a pup. Now, I got tendonitis or something in the leg that is making it hard to drive a car or sit in a chair because why? I exercised!!

Considering that I was less than 225 when I got the stress fracture, less than 300 when I got the back problem, less than 350 when I got the knee problem, now pushing close to 367 with my sore leg, I have to wonder if exercise is causing my weight gain!
    07-15-10 03:15 AM
    You might just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to exercise
    07-15-10 01:11 PM
    we are past the two week mark. how is everyone doing? still motivated?
    07-19-10 07:32 AM
    I was texting a family member on why I took a day off from the gym and I thought this may be hilarious to share.

I told my party that all 3 of my right side injuries have come from exercise! I got a stress fracture in the foot becuse I starting taking the stairs instead of the elevator on the tip of fellow workers at my job. That took me out about 3 months. I got a severe lumbar strain in the lower back that landed me in Chiropractic care for over a year after I went walking in a hilly neighborhood near home. I got a bad knee that required physical therapy to recover from after I went walking the dog every morning when the pooch was a pup. Now, I got tendonitis or something in the leg that is making it hard to drive a car or sit in a chair because why? I exercised!!

Considering that I was less than 225 when I got the stress fracture, less than 300 when I got the back problem, less than 350 when I got the knee problem, now pushing close to 367 with my sore leg, I have to wonder if exercise is causing my weight gain!

Or maybe a lack of stretching properly?
    07-19-10 02:48 PM
    Not stretching got me stuck on the thigh abductor machine for a long time several times a week for super high reps. And a man should NEVER be on the thigh abductor machine.

Geez that was embarassing.
    07-19-10 04:50 PM
    In all the years I've been at the gym, I have NEVER, EVER seen a guy on the thigh
    machine lol
    07-19-10 05:00 PM
    I doubt it was stretching. I was joking around for the comical point. But there were other contributing factors to those injuries. I have found that when I wait for my body to tell me when it's ready to handle more, I rarely get hurt. It's usually happens when I don't listen to the body and try to push the results a little too soon. Like when I am in a contest that ends in less than 8 weeks. In my current super obese state, I can't do normal exercising. Like the Karate Kid, I improvise.
    07-20-10 02:58 AM
    Not stretching got me stuck on the thigh abductor machine for a long time several times a week for super high reps. And a man should NEVER be on the thigh abductor machine.

Geez that was embarassing.
    I've thought about trying it and thanks for trying it out for me ahead of time. I'll stay away!
    07-21-10 04:49 PM
    As the super-obese contestant in this competition, I thought I'd share a little pic for inspiration for all of you. I entered this contest with a stamina so limited I could only do 8 minutes of cardio. Here is a pic of what I did last night. My cardio goal for this contest was 45 minutes a day. At my size with osteoarthritits in the knee, I am unable to do the normal workouts that Gym Technik and other fitness trainers tell you to do. Thus, I don't feel I can win this contest considering the competition. So, I have set some exercise goals and I am competing against my own limitations. Last time I lost major weight, I got depressed that I still had so much more to lose that I gave up and have gained over 140 pounds since. This time around I am focusing my efforts on strength and endurance goals first.

07-22-10 01:49 AM
    NICE, Trjnberry! We're only like 3 weeks in today and you're already doing great at your goals. Good job! From 8 to 38 minutes is a big jump.

As the super-obese contestant in this competition, I thought I'd share a little pic for inspiration for all of you. I entered this contest with a stamina so limited I could only do 8 minutes of cardio. Here is a pic of what I did last night. My cardio goal for this contest was 45 minutes a day. At my size with osteoarthritits in the knee, I am unable to do the normal workouts that Gym Technik and other fitness trainers tell you to do. Thus, I don't feel I can win this contest considering the competition. So, I have set some exercise goals and I am competing against my own limitations. Last time I lost major weight, I got depressed that I still had so much more to lose that I gave up and have gained over 140 pounds since. This time around I am focusing my efforts on strength and endurance goals first.

07-22-10 05:48 AM
    That is awesome! You have to start somewhere!

07-23-10 05:29 PM
    Hows everybody getting on?

Are we all still doing it?

I hope everyone is going good with their training anyway!
    07-27-10 03:47 AM
    One thing I noticed on the twitter updates with this is that a bunch of people are pumping out tweets after doing things like 10 or 15 crunches.
    07-27-10 03:43 PM
    Part of getting fit is eating better.

I have 2 books that help me make yummy!!! meals that aren't gross, weird "health food"

Everyone should check them out. They're a series, one is called Eat this > Not that and the other is called Cook this > not that.

Check them out, you might enjoy them! They've helped me lose 10lbs so far.
    07-27-10 04:13 PM
    Is this thread still in effect? I wish I knew about CB a month ago because I started my weight loss the same day!! I think u guys r great n this thread and is great support for each other. I actually joined gym tech too but the exercises don't have membership to gym. I didn't know how to customize my workout regime on gym tech so I just do tons of cardio, stretch bands 2X/wk, try to eat 5 small meals a day and a gallon of water(8-9) water bottles. - I've successfully lost 16 lbs and 22" I could have lost more but u know how it goes... I hope to call upon everyone back to this thread n see how u guys r doing. The biggest factor of loosing the weight for all of us is the support... COME BACK GUYS...PLEASE

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 03:46 AM
    Part of getting fit is eating better.

I have 2 books that help me make yummy!!! meals that aren't gross, weird "health food"

Everyone should check them out. They're a series, one is called Eat this > Not that and the other is called Cook this > not that.

Check them out, you might enjoy them! They've helped me lose 10lbs so far.
    Thanx Khager- W/definitely look into the books. I'm running outta meals to cook..the more variety of meals there are then the more successful my goals w/be

08-01-10 03:53 AM
    Kinda late to the game here but I put my exercise routine in high gear about a month ago. I am not one of the just need to lose a few pounds people here. I am significantly overweight from being diabetic and have moderately high blood pressure. (One of the curses that goes with diabetes unfortunately)

Since June 30th of this year, I have lost 16 pounds and roughly 25" across my entire body, my blood sugar is averaging about 80-90 and my blood pressure has dropped to an average range of around 125/75. All of that is acceptable for any person much less me.

I accomplished the stats above by doing some simple things like no bread or potatoes in my diet. I stopped eating any junk food and now eat more vegetables than meat. I watch very closely the glycemic values of what I am eating now and avoid fast food period. I never was that fond of the taste of grease anyway lol. And now the kicker...we all know that there is no way someone is going to lose weight without exercise. Well, I took care of that too. I started walking 5-7 times a week to get the cardio in. I walk 2-1/2 miles a day minimum with over half the course being on at least a 10% grade. Some of it is up to 20% and the majority of it is on gravel which is a lot more difficult to traverse than concrete or asphalt. I started this particular route because of the challenges it offered. It's not the easiest course but then again, it doesn't need to be. I want the benefits of the exercise otherwise it's just a Sunday stroll in the park. The heat is always a factor during the summer months and this year is no exception but at least it helps me to shed what needs shedding. Regardless of the heat, I try to maintain no less than a three mile an hour pace even on this terrain. It's not easy even for someone who is fit, much less me lol. The one thing that does seem to help is that I take the ol' Tour, crank up Slacker on some classic rock and hit the ground wide open. You'd be surprised how much it takes your mind off what you are doing.

I said all of this for a simple reason. It is not to get kudo's for it or an attempt to garner any sympathy for my condition. I have had diabetes for a long time and just needed to step it up a bit more than the three times a week exercise for a half hour a day. That just wasn't cutting it. My actual reason for posting this is that I hope it motivates someone else to get up, close the bag of chips or even throw it away, and do something to help improve their quality of life if only just a little bit. Life is not about shortcuts and unfortunately there is no magic fix for your health. It's going to be hard but the rewards for me in just this short amount of time have been astounding to say the least.

I hope this helps somebody get started on the way to a better more healthy life but if not, at least I know I helped myself.
    08-01-10 10:50 AM
    Is this thread still in effect? I wish I knew about CB a month ago because I started my weight loss the same day!! I think u guys r great n this thread and is great support for each other. I actually joined gym tech too but the exercises don't have membership to gym. I didn't know how to customize my workout regime on gym tech so I just do tons of cardio, stretch bands 2X/wk, try to eat 5 small meals a day and a gallon of water(8-9) water bottles. - I've successfully lost 16 lbs and 22" I could have lost more but u know how it goes... I hope to call upon everyone back to this thread n see how u guys r doing. The biggest factor of loosing the weight for all of us is the support... COME BACK GUYS...PLEASE

Hi She-Ra. Good job on your progress so far! I have read online that you don't need to drink that much water if you get the water from the foods you eat. So, if you eat a lot of water fruits and vegetables like watermelon and celery, you get your water intake from those foods. But, I think the water bottle does help control the hunger, so if works for you, keep doing it.

Crackberry Kevin set up a BBM group for this contest, so those of us in the group are talking on it daily about exercises and menu selections, and about other topics too. I don't know how you join it, but you should send a pm to Kevin and ask to join. I am subscribed to this thread with instant email notificaton and I am sure others are too, so if any new posts come, I'll be alerted.

Being a super-sized contestant, I am not able to do the Gym Technik exercises either. I was able to do customized exercises with easy setup on the Gym Technik. You go into the Build New Workout menu, and along the way it allows you to add custom exercises. You can upload a pic of your custom exercise, give a description, and it will allow you to use it as your standard workout. I do an exercise that my old Chiropractor gave me about 10 years ago and I can't find anything on the internet that shows this exercise, so I've bascially guessed it would be called a corner-wall pushup. You basically stand in a corner, either with two walls or a wall and a door, assume push-up formation against the wall, and turn your hands in facing each other, then do a push-up. You feel it in your triceps and chest. I do other exercises, like wall sits, heal raises, walking on the treadmill, that are easily found on the internet. I have also have read online that if you can't do a proper push-up, you can start with a wall, then a counter, working your way down to the floor. So, I am doing counter level push-ups too. But that corner wall push-up, can't find it anywhere. Starting to wonder if that was a "custom exercise" that my Chiropractor gave me. Anyhow, Gym Technik does allow for custom exercises. Keep up the good work and know that this thread is not forgotten, but many of us are doing our daily conversation in the BBM group that Kevin set up.
    08-01-10 11:12 AM
    trjnberry: wall push-ups are done in my chisel class to for some are pregnant and those who cannot lift themselves up from the floor easily enough.

I just did generic custom exercises because most of what I do at the gym isn't listed either when it comes to my classes. So I just label them chisel or cardio/chisel or just cardio for my step classes.
    08-01-10 06:17 PM
    Good Luck for everyone..!! Get start it...!
    08-01-10 07:09 PM
    trjnberry: wall push-ups are done in my chisel class to for some are pregnant and those who cannot lift themselves up from the floor easily enough.

I just did generic custom exercises because most of what I do at the gym isn't listed either when it comes to my classes. So I just label them chisel or cardio/chisel or just cardio for my step classes.
    Aw, my strength is being compared to pregnant ladies. I am depressed now. I think I'll go get a Corona with a lime, pull up the Lazy-Boy, and re-watch Aloha Joe's review to figure out how to get Tether to work on a computer that doesn't have an internet connection.
    08-01-10 11:08 PM
    How's everyybody holding up?? Been traveling for 2 weeks. Been hitting the gym every chance I get but its been tough to put in the gym time I want to. And man oh man is heating healthy while away tough!

08-02-10 06:33 AM
    Aw, my strength is being compared to pregnant ladies. I am depressed now. I think I'll go get a Corona with a lime, pull up the Lazy-Boy, and re-watch Aloha Joe's review to figure out how to get Tether to work on a computer that doesn't have an internet connection.
    LOL, well just giving you some info
    08-02-10 12:52 PM
222 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD