Hi everyone ;-)

Im ready to do this finally. I am 34 (will be 35 later on this month) an about 5'2 and weigh around 230. I have had times in my life where i have lost weigh and been happy with me, but they are few and far between. Life has really gotten in my way in recent years, and I hate the way I look. I am doing this to get healthy and to drop as much weight as I can.

I tend to loose motivation quickly, so need help with the "kick in the a@@" at times. My hubby cant do that because in is a recliner potato.....

Ive been walkling the dogs 3 - 5 miles a day for weeks now and nothing ;-/ and we are eating good.

My husband was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure, so lots of fruits and veggies, no / low salt, and no pop (only crystal light allowed now).

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and hearing your words of support and encouragement in the next few months.

ps on twitter as nascarfilly and my bb pin is 313EB2B2
    07-05-10 11:26 AM
    same here, I just started today due to the upcoming weekend and parties. I felt great after my workout this morning. I had a couple of fitness magazines that were lying around since idk when so im suing those to plan my workouts.

Also added the bbm group!
    07-05-10 11:46 AM
    The abs is the hardest!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 11:56 AM
    Great timing, I'm in.

A couple weeks ago was on a business trip and and the group of us were commenting how we could stand to loose a couple lbs as we scarfed down 16+ oz steaks for 5 days. We enlisted a group of coworkers and our first weigh in will be Tuesday with an end date of September 3rd...winner take all for the $10/person bet. (It's mostly guys so god forbid we do it for our health--money and pride are the better motivation.)

I'm 6" 1' and about 215 lbs.

Hope you're doing this by % of weight lost. Not an overall # ;-)
    07-05-10 02:48 PM
    That's why I didn't start until Sunday. We celebrated Saturday for the 4th with a ton of fried and grilled food and a massively long game of beer pong.
    Anyone in Oklahoma City doing the challenge?

Oh! I went to scan the barcode and it just shines the light on it from my calendar. Am I supposed to be pushing anything while it's scanning or what am I doing wrong?
    I had to hold mine there for a bit...it kept auto-focusing and trying to scan the barcode. You may want to shut your camera light off for it. I also had to move my phone in and out a little bit.

Give it another shot.
    07-05-10 02:52 PM
    Just wanted to say "good luck and work hard!" to everyone. I'm not officially participating because I'm 9 weeks out from a broken/dislocated ankle and still on crutches yet. But I'll be following this thread, etc. for motivation as my mobility returns and I can get back into a regular exercise program.
    I'm still in my aircast from a "high ankle sprain" (See: muscle and ligament damage and a bone chip). I'm hoping to have "permission" to take it off Wed. I started eating healthier about two weeks ago and as soon as I can resume "regular exercise", I'm ready to step it up.

Definitely stay up on this thread and in the BBM Group. It's an excellent resource for encouragement, healthy eating tips/ideas...and a great spot to vent your frustration on that co-worker who constantly brings the cake for lunch!

Good luck with the recovery!
    07-05-10 02:56 PM
    Feeling so bummed. Was doing my second sports activity of the day, football with the kids and have twisted my ankle. Hopefully though I won't be out for too many days.

I'm really getting into this workout schedule. And with the children on holiday already we all go out and do family fitness together.

I could probably still go swimming. Haven't gone swimming for a year. Must go again soon.

Hope everyone is doing well with their workouts.
    07-05-10 04:49 PM
    5 days in...how's everyone doing? My workout plans for the weekend were changed alot thanks to the holiday. I slacked but am back at it today. Hoping to stay on track.
    07-05-10 04:56 PM
    Ok I officially paid for a gym membership something I regret doing because I've been stealing free gym membership through ucla for years...anyhow I'm just trying to get a 6 pack...I've been working at it for over 2 years. I'm not talking some barely there 6 pack or the kind where u flex and it shows...no! I want the I'm taking steriods kind and the one that's always showing regardless of where I'm at or what I'm doing...one rule that I refuse to do is go on any type of diet..I am on a mexican italian andsushi diet and my drug of choice is jager and monster only. On the weekends...my stats are 5'10" 165lbs. I am 24 about to be 25 on july 16 but I act like I'm 13 lol...kevin I beat u!!!anyways follow me on twitter.com/toan07 and track my workout with me !!!

07-05-10 10:36 PM
    Oh btw will they disqualify me for using profanity on my tweets lol

07-05-10 10:37 PM
    I work out at the gym but not on consistency basis but, I am getting better. I would like to tone up and loss about 10 lbs...
    07-05-10 10:57 PM
    Just joined the BBM group and had a hard weekend as far as watching what I eat. Keep it up!
    07-06-10 04:35 PM
    I think the BBM group is fun. Quite an interesting and eclectic cast.
    07-06-10 07:24 PM
    I think the BBM group is fun. Quite an interesting and eclectic cast.
    Yeah, but pretty intimidating to those of us that aren't fit. I mean, "cayenne pepper & water"?! I've been reading the feed, but at times I feel like I am in a group discussion of a nutrition class, full of fitness trainers trying to get their advanced certification! What ever happened to old fashion fitness principles of eating less and exercising? To think I was being extreme when I tried to exclude 4 simple ingredients from my diet when I was the average age of this group, thus losing 35 pounds in 60 days or so, that's nothing compared to what the some in that BBM group are doing. All I did was avoid refined sugar, refined flour, partially hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn syrup from diet. I didn't worry about carbs and sodium. Or try crazy body toxin flushing schemes. Took a medical test after that diet of 4 & aced every heart and health test I was given.

I am all for getting fitter, but isn't a fitness challenge targeted towards people who need a little motivation to get back in the gym? Oh well, I knew going in, I didn't stand much of a chance of winning because of my size and stamina. But, at least reading the group chat feed is entertaining, albeit educational at times.

07-06-10 08:41 PM
    Trjnberry there are some extremes in the BBM group, but it doesn't mean that what you are doing isn't as good. We all have to do what we can do or what works for us. I wouldn't drink cayenne pepper & water. I like cayenne pepper & water separately but not together. That was probably just a suggestion of an extreme that someone tried.

Drinking water and watching what you're eating and doing exercise in my opinion will work and that is what I am going to do. Again just in my opinion do what works for you!
    07-07-10 04:46 PM
    And as you learn things you can see what starts working and what doesn't and what you enjoy and what you don't. It's a great way to ask questions and get answers and start to develop better lifetime patterns.
    07-07-10 05:34 PM
    Yeaaaahhh, I may have been a little too critical in that last post. I think I just got psyched out by the level of fitness that many of the fellow contestants had. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I like the feedback of the group and how it sheds light on some of the fitness goals I can set once the weight is under control. The real challenge for me in this contest is to stay the course. What happened last time when I lost major weight, I got depressed that I still had so much more to lose, that I gave up and went back to my bad eating habits. That was about 120 pounds ago. I am sure many an obese person can tell a similar story. Just got to stay the course. I'll get there as long as I don't quit. And, if I can win a few BB treats along the way, that'd be cool, too!
    07-07-10 08:22 PM
    trjnberry I completely understand. I went from 215 lbs to 167 lbs in a year by doing Weight Watchers and then got pregnant. I was so excited about the baby that I let myself go. I've gotten down to 184 lbs but still have a long way to go until I'm happy with my reflection. I think we "round" out the group lol.
    07-07-10 09:59 PM
    I ilke the BBM group. Even if I can't take part in a lot of the conversation, I can still jump in and read to get tips and to see what everyone else is doing as far as their workouts. It's not really that intimidating. It is definitely a motivator, for me.
    07-08-10 07:45 AM
    Well I gained 1 lb so far lol woo hoo!!!!!

But work outs are going awesome!!!!
    07-08-10 07:59 AM
    GYM TECHNIK UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE!!!

the latest version is 0.9.111 (up from .110). should solve the bugs some of us had...

>>>

We've just completed a mini patch to our app. Users will need to sync the app, and once they do, they'll see an "Upgrade" icon available within the app itself. We've deployed the following fixes:

* Hashtag issue not tweeting out for long tweets
    * Twitter entry field in app not scrolling properly
    * "Share how you feel" tweet feature not available for cardio workouts
    * Some users reporting that they're getting an "invalid URL" error when attempting to link their Twitter account

This should resolve all the issues users have complained about on the blogs and on Twitter.
    07-08-10 10:38 AM
    Yeaaaahhh, I may have been a little too critical in that last post. I think I just got psyched out by the level of fitness that many of the fellow contestants had. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I like the feedback of the group and how it sheds light on some of the fitness goals I can set once the weight is under control. The real challenge for me in this contest is to stay the course. What happened last time when I lost major weight, I got depressed that I still had so much more to lose, that I gave up and went back to my bad eating habits. That was about 120 pounds ago. I am sure many an obese person can tell a similar story. Just got to stay the course. I'll get there as long as I don't quit. And, if I can win a few BB treats along the way, that'd be cool, too!
    I agree! Some of the ppl in the group are hardcore! Cutting out this, drinking that, eating only meals that are green (may be an exaggeration). I'm here to lend and get support on eating healthier and staying focused to stay in shape. Coming off my injury, I'm not ready to go 100% right now, but I'm here for motivation. The conversations are great and the information is intriguing - most of it is educational and informative, but I see some of it as not practical.
    I'm a typical guy who's going to eat typical meals. I don't believe in cutting out specific flours, or simple or complex carbs - I believe "everything in moderation, including moderation". Just eat healthIER and exercise more often, you'd be surprised how well it works.
    07-08-10 12:30 PM
    trjnberry I completely understand. I went from 215 lbs to 167 lbs in a year by doing Weight Watchers and then got pregnant. I was so excited about the baby that I let myself go. I've gotten down to 184 lbs but still have a long way to go until I'm happy with my reflection. I think we "round" out the group lol.
    My wife started WW after our son was born...she started just over a month ago and about 2wks ago I said I'd "go along with it". We always ate fairly reasonable, but never catered to specific food groups - we're a typical family. Some night are pizza nights and other night Hamburger Helper is the best thing you can make on short notice - so be it!

But I can say that in just over 2wks I'm already down 10lbs. That's no physical activity as well (casted ankle). So there's a step (no pun intended) in the right direction!
    07-08-10 12:32 PM
    Great idea Kevin, nothing like a little motivation. Anyways, I'm 36 and up until a few months ago was sitting at about 210lbs. I am only 5'10" and though the clothes hid it really well i knew something must be done. I started exercising and a meal plan (don't really consider it a diet) which didn't cut out anything specific but rather modified where I was getting my fats and carbs. The meal portions were reduced but the daily quantity of food I was consuming was increased. In a little less than two months I was down 20 pounds.

Work got busy and I found it harder to make my way to the gym. Though I wasn't sticking to my meal plan as stringently as I had over the past month I didn't gain weight but rather plateaued at 190. This competition came at just the right time as it has prodded me into starting up again and in four days I am already starting to drop. Ideally I would like to be between 165 and 175 as anything lighter would probably look odd on my frame.

Good luck everyone.

Jason
    07-08-10 04:11 PM
    Glad we got that expected update. Hopefully it will make things run a little bit smoother.
    07-08-10 05:02 PM
222 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD