So I went to see The Dark Knight on IMAX today (go check it out, freakin' intense!) and changed my profile to "Off" assuming that meant that the phone was on but that I would get no alarms or anything.

Unfortunately at a quiet part of the movie I got a weather storm alert via my WeatherBug application (I assume that's a "Browser Alert"??). I was horrified that my phone went off, I always hate other peoples phones, and now I'm "one of them!"

So I went into "Advanced" to try and edit the functions of the alerts and be sure they were all on mute. No such luck, you can't edit the "off" profile!!

Any ideas??
    07-24-08 03:01 PM
    Well, I think the "Off" profile only turns off phone calls, texts, BBM, etc. Alarms will still sound.
    07-24-08 03:05 PM
    I noticed the same thing, too - no ability to edit the "off" profile.

I just created my own and made absolutely sure everything was set to mute/off/whatever.
    07-24-08 03:05 PM
    Yes it would seem that way! lol Apparently "off" isn't really off then eh?

Guess I'll have to do the same thing Abe...wonder if I can change the name of another profile to "The Real Off"!
    07-24-08 03:08 PM
    Guess I'll have to do the same thing Abe...wonder if I can change the name of another profile to "The Real Off"!
    LOL - mine is called "All the Way Off"
    07-24-08 03:14 PM
    Ouch, hate to do that durring such a good movie.

Wanna see a maagic trick? I'll make this pencil disapear.
    07-24-08 03:16 PM
    So I went to see The Dark Knight on IMAX today (go check it out, freakin' intense!) and changed my profile to "Off" assuming that meant that the phone was on but that I would get no alarms or anything.

Unfortunately at a quiet part of the movie I got a weather storm alert via my WeatherBug application (I assume that's a "Browser Alert"??). I was horrified that my phone went off, I always hate other peoples phones, and now I'm "one of them!"

So I went into "Advanced" to try and edit the functions of the alerts and be sure they were all on mute. No such luck, you can't edit the "off" profile!!

Any ideas??
    Actually what you want is the "Quiet" profile. You can edit it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 03:24 PM
    Ouch, hate to do that durring such a good movie.

Wanna see a maagic trick? I'll make this pencil disapear.
    As sick and twisted as that was--everyone laughed quite a bit at that part, including me! What does that say about humanity!?
    07-24-08 03:26 PM
    I created one for school that has everything off.

07-24-08 03:27 PM
    Same here, I created a profile called DND (do not disturb). I set everything on DND to silent, except for the LED. I like to have the LED flash for instance, when I'm in a meeting or at the movies. I have to see if I'm missing anything!

09-04-08 06:13 PM
    well this is about a month and a half late but oddly enough, i went to see the dark knight in imax last night (still a semi filled theatre, can you believe that?!) and had the SAME problem. very frustrating.
    09-06-08 01:28 PM
    I use the Quiet profile, as I describe in a previous post in this thread. Of course, you can customize any profile to be anything.

09-06-08 01:36 PM
    I use the Quiet profile, as I describe in a previous post in this thread. Of course, you can customize any profile to be anything.

i use the same. in the quiet profile you can edit the weather bug setting so that it doesn't play audio.
    09-06-08 01:39 PM
    Given that WeatherBug seems to be 'outside' the Profiles and can generate its own sounds, it would also seem that the problem is with the program and not the BlackBerry.

Profiles can only work if program writers adhere to the programming standards demanded by the platform. In our case, anything that can generate sounds should include itself in Profiles.

If you use such rogue programs then the only way to stop sounds being generated randomly at inoportune moments then about the only ways to shut the BlackBerry up are to switch the radio off (flight mode) or to power it down completely whilst at the movies. Neither of these is a good solution since incoming calls now go only to VoiceMail and are no logged as Misssed Calls.

I agree with the OP that the death penalty is slightly too good for people who leave their phone on during the show. Even so, I too have done this.
    09-06-08 01:56 PM
    there is a weather bug edit when editing profiles though. i run 4.3 so maybe that's why it works for me? When i edit my profiles it's at the very buttom labeled as Weather Bug Direct settings.

in silent profile my weather bug is quiet since i have it muted.

or was i misunderstanding your post? sorry if so!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-06-08 at 02:01 PM.
    09-06-08 01:59 PM
    there is a weather bug edit when editing profiles though. i run 4.3 so maybe that's why it works for me? When i edit my profiles it's at the very buttom labeled as Weather Bug Direct settings.

in silent profile my weather bug is quiet since i have it muted.

or was i misunderstanding your post? sorry if so!
    Nah, I dont run Weatherbug so I was probably throwing rocks at the wrong app. My post stands though. App must conform to the programming standars required.

Given what you say, why does it not shut-up when told to in the OPs Profile?

That is not really for you to answer. Just a question in general.
    09-06-08 02:05 PM
    i see what you're saying about the "outside" apps though, yes.
    09-06-08 02:18 PM
    the alarm also sounds in bbsmart alarms pro even if the profile is set to quiet, vib or off. had a problem with that the other day
    09-07-08 11:48 AM
    My alarm went off in court when I had it set to off! $50 fine but I def learned my lesson. Now its silent and I check the alarm.

09-07-08 12:45 PM
    $50 fine for that!?!? WOW, that sucks!! Especially if you thought it really was off!
    09-07-08 01:05 PM
    Same here, I created a profile called DND (do not disturb). I set everything on DND to silent, except for the LED. I like to have the LED flash for instance, when I'm in a meeting or at the movies. I have to see if I'm missing anything!

That is exactly what I need, too. This is why those of us still learning read this stuff - I just wish my wife could understand that. But, her non-crackberry mind isn't quite up to this yet...
    09-07-08 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD