As many know i do love the Passport as a defining moment in mobile evolution which has left its mark on me and an impression that i will never forget and still enjoy using now and then.

After the announcement regarding EOL and the end of updates to the OS which left all BB10 devices struggling to surf the web in a reliable and timely manner, I decided to take a chance on the Oneplus brand. Six months after launch I purchased a Oneplus 3T, 128GB Midnight Edition for $675 CND Cash. This phone has lived up to or surpassed what i expected from Android. After receiving android "O" we thought that was the last OS update but soon after the announcement that Android "P" would be delivered was an unexpected surprise. Yesterday Oneplus has announced that the final security update will be coming and I am very happy with the level of support Oneplus stands behind.

Like many have expressed their dissatisfaction with the two year support system dictated by most OEMs, I wanted to bring this to light
    Looks like a new Phone is in my future over the next two years, I wonder what brand it might be? Only problem I now have is that they have done away with the headphone jack and the dedicated LED Not sure what will happen now......

https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...ecurity-patch/
    Tsepz_GP and Mecca EL like this.
    11-20-19 08:53 AM
    Oneplus devices are some of the best. Good value for specs/$$$ and the OS support is also very good. I have bought many of the OP and loved them all
    11-20-19 09:00 AM
    At the end of the day, you can't do better than the Pixel or an Android One device.

The moment you have to depend on another company after Google, it introduces a potential failure point.
    gebco and branflakes like this.
    11-20-19 09:07 AM
    At the end of the day, you can't do better than the Pixel or an Android One device.

The moment you have to depend on another company after Google, it introduces a potential failure point.
    Ha ha! Always the critic. I'd say Oneplus is committed to the same update timeline that Google is offering. I see no difference here.
    11-20-19 09:14 AM
    Ha ha! Always the critic. I'd say Oneplus is committed to the same update timeline that Google is offering. I see no difference here.
    No doubt they have always been very good. All I'm saying is that first-place will never be challenged. The best any other OEM could do is fight for second.
    11-20-19 09:19 AM
    No doubt they have always been very good. All I'm saying is that first-place will never be challenged. The best any other OEM could do is fight for second.
    Coming from Blackberry I have come to enjoy being the underdog trying to push my way past second place....... Or was it 5th place? Lol.
    11-20-19 09:23 AM
    Or was it 5th place?
    One OS letter upgrade for a $649 phone would be nice
    Grungni and anon(8004005) like this.
    11-20-19 09:34 AM
    One OS letter upgrade for a $649 phone would be nice
    A big reason I did not buy and try the KEY2 for a fourth time lol.

I see one on kijiji right now for $350 but with no promise of any updates and the silence of future development or production I figure what is the point?
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 11-20-19 at 12:05 PM.
    11-20-19 11:49 AM
    what is the point?
    The only point I could think of are those 35 buttons below the display.
    To me, they're worth the drawbacks including lack of support.

On a Pixel when you get an OS upgrade or monthly update, you do get that "fresh" feeling for a few moments but then forget about it.
    However with the PKB, you can enjoy every single word typed.
    11-20-19 12:34 PM
    The only point I could think of are those 35 buttons below the display.
    To me, they're worth the drawbacks including lack of support.

On a Pixel when you get an OS upgrade or monthly update, you do get that "fresh" feeling for a few moments but then forget about it.
    However with the PKB, you can enjoy every single word typed.
    You are 100% right. If I did not have and still enjoy my Passport I probably would have kept one of those three KEY2's I bought and sold lol.

At this point I am waiting to see if there is a KEY3 and I will probably get that. Time will tell.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    anon(8004005) likes this.
    11-20-19 12:44 PM
    You are 100% right. If I did not have and still enjoy my Passport I probably would have kept one of those three KEY2's I bought and sold lol.

At this point I am waiting to see if there is a KEY3 and I will probably get that. Time will tell.

What made you sell all three of them?
    11-20-19 01:08 PM
    As many know i do love the Passport as a defining moment in mobile evolution which has left its mark on me and an impression that i will never forget and still enjoy using now and then.

After the announcement regarding EOL and the end of updates to the OS which left all BB10 devices struggling to surf the web in a reliable and timely manner, I decided to take a chance on the Oneplus brand. Six months after launch I purchased a Oneplus 3T, 128GB Midnight Edition for $675 CND Cash. This phone has lived up to or surpassed what i expected from Android. After receiving android "O" we thought that was the last OS update but soon after the announcement that Android "P" would be delivered was an unexpected surprise. Yesterday Oneplus has announced that the final security update will be coming and I am very happy with the level of support Oneplus stands behind.

Like many have expressed their dissatisfaction with the two year support system dictated by most OEMs, I wanted to bring this to light
    Looks like a new Phone is in my future over the next two years, I wonder what brand it might be? Only problem I now have is that they have done away with the headphone jack and the dedicated LED Not sure what will happen now......

https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...ecurity-patch/
    A mate of mine also had a 3T for about 3 years and recently moved on to a OnePlus 7T last week and could not be happier. He is not interested in any other OEM at this point due to OnePlus being so great.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    11-20-19 01:17 PM
    As people hold onto their devices longer and don't wish to update incrementally the updates and support will become crucial. Samsung seems to be getting the message with their flagship level devices. It is looking like the S8 is going to be getting Android 10 and One UI 2.0 (as it should!!!) This device released with Nougat and the powerful a well received 835. As most that have tried and or use another OEM the support is "Key" no pun intened. It's no longer acceptable to sell a device you have little intent on supporting for less than 3-4 years.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-20-19 05:39 PM
    What made you sell all three of them?
    Let me see. I think the first I was expecting a Passport like keyboard experience and I did not find that it matched the Passport in its capacitive response over the keys. This made me angry lol. The keys did not have the same quality feel I had expected.

Second purchase was that after typing intensely on it I did get pain in my hand and thumb which I never experienced on my Passport. I know that over time this "might have " went away but still was not willing to find out.

Third purchase was more of a comparison to my Oneplus. If we were to compare the two phones batteries, I can't tell you how fast my Oneplus charges. It's crazy fast!
    I was not happy with the slim 64GB internal and learned to appreciate having 128 on my Oneplus. I remember a particular app on the KEY2 not allowing me to share some media from the SD card forcing me to move it to internal storage in order to share. This was disappointing.
    Also related I have invested in plenty of accessories for my Oneplus.

I think my Oneplus 3T thwarted my three attempts. If there was to be a fourth purchase it would have been because I wanted to give the keyboard another shot but since there's no word of the KEY2 getting Android 9, I decided to just wait and see what the future holds in the balance, evolution or extinction
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 11-20-19 at 06:32 PM.
    11-20-19 06:12 PM
    Let me see. I think the first I was expecting a Passport like keyboard experience and I did not find that it matched the Passport in its capacitive response over the keys. This made me angry lol. The keys did not have the same quality feel I had expected.

Second purchase was that after typing intensely on it I did get pain in my hand and thumb which I never experienced on my Passport. I know that over time this "might have " went away but still was not willing to find out.

Third purchase was more of a comparison to my Oneplus. If we were to compare the two phones batteries, I can't tell you how fast my Oneplus charges. It's crazy fast!
    I was not happy with the slim 64GB internal and learned to appreciate having 128 on my Oneplus. I remember a particular app on the KEY2 not allowing me to share some media from the SD card forcing me to move it to internal storage in order to share. This was disappointing.
    Also related I have invested in plenty of accessories for my Oneplus.

I think my Oneplus 3T thwarted my three attempts. If there was to be a fourth purchase it would have been because I wanted to give the keyboard another shot but since there's no word of the KEY2 getting Android 9, I decided to just wait and see what the future holds in the balance, evolution or extinction
    Ok I understand the first two returns, but the third time you returned it because... your OnePlus 3T charged faster? That's it??
    11-20-19 06:47 PM
    Ok I understand the first two returns, but the third time you returned it because... your OnePlus 3T charged faster? That's it??
    No the third time it was the charging speed, internal memory / SD card restrictions and the investment in multiple accessories for the Oneplus 3T that added up to $175 approx. I wasn't willing to make the trade.

I guess I was giving it a half hearted chance in retrospect.
    11-20-19 07:04 PM
    No the third time it was the charging speed, internal memory / SD card restrictions and the investment in multiple accessories for the Oneplus 3T that added up to $175 approx. I wasn't willing to make the trade.

I guess I was giving it a half hearted chance in retrospect.
    Eh, I think you got your money's worth out of that OnePlus either way.

I can still recommend the KEY2 if you wanna give it another shot.

Recently I had gotten my hands on one that was built in early July 2018 and now typing on one from September 2018 and the keys feel totally different.
    I think they may have made a few changes somewhere around August.

The July one had much squishier keys which were harder to press and had worse backlighting and had a cheap-ish glossy look.

The September one looks just about as solid as the Red KEY2.
    11-20-19 07:07 PM
    Eh, I think you got your money's worth out of that OnePlus either way.

I can still recommend the KEY2 if you wanna give it another shot.

Recently I had gotten my hands on one that was built in early July 2018 and now typing on one from September 2018 and the keys feel totally different.
    I think they may have made a few changes somewhere around August.

The July one had much squishier keys which were harder to press and had worse backlighting and had a cheap-ish glossy look.

The September one looks just about as solid as the Red KEY2.
    Thank you lots for the info on more recent versions but I think I am going to sit by my window sipping my coffee watching to see if a KEY3 emerges or we will be doomed for eternity on glass slabs
    11-20-19 07:19 PM
    or we will be doomed for eternity on glass slabs
    KEYone
    KEY2
    KEY2 LE
    Priv
    S8 with keyboard cover
    iPhone SE with Typo keyboard
    F(x) Tec Pro 1
    UniHertz Titan

There you have it. All the PKB options listed, and you can count them on both hands...
    11-20-19 07:23 PM
    KEYone
    KEY2
    KEY2 LE
    Priv
    S8 with keyboard cover
    iPhone SE with Typo keyboard
    F(x) Tec Pro 1
    UniHertz Titan

There you have it. All the PKB options listed, and you can count them on both hands...
    I think I will keep my dog company and keep staring out the window lmao!

I still have my Passport if I need a reminder of what lack of support looks like
    Laura Knotek and the_boon like this.
    11-20-19 07:33 PM
    I just remembered this happened and I think this was the third purchase also. It made me concerned about any new bluetooth I purchased going forward.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1164172

11-22-19 06:07 AM
    How many Key2 have you had? LOL
    11-22-19 06:19 AM
    How many Key2 have you had? LOL

All three colors combined, probably 7
    11-22-19 07:02 AM
    Got Android 10 on my Huawei P30 Pro last week, pretty impressed at how quick HUAWEI were considering they are dealing with a whole lot of political BS.

Updates are indeed a major deal with people keeping their phones longer.

I was hoping to get a Mate 30 Pro, I was going to settle with it and my iPhone XS Max for 2020, but alas, politics said No
    11-22-19 11:00 AM
    Got Android 10 on my Huawei P30 Pro last week, pretty impressed at how quick HUAWEI were considering they are dealing with a whole lot of political BS.

Updates are indeed a major deal with people keeping their phones longer.

I was hoping to get a Mate 30 Pro, I was going to settle with it and my iPhone XS Max for 2020, but alas, politics said No
    I guess HUAWEI can't afford anymore bad press and best do what they can to stay in everyone's good graces looking forward. That's good to hear

Tsepz_GP likes this.
    11-22-19 01:48 PM
54 123