If governments are going to start moving away from BB because they aren't secure enough will other governments follow? Will businesses take the same idea? If so then will Rimm completely collapse? They need to do something to address this Yesterday, and work with these governments to get the contract. Beef up security and make sure all your equipment is the latest so we don't have a repeat of this week.

Scary
    10-14-11 10:36 PM
    By your argument, no one should use a smartphone at all. If I was a decision-maker, and you were making a pitch for RIM and said that "but iPhones make you play games" as a disadvantage, I would not take you very seriously.

Don't let them have access to pencils and papers either. Heck, tie their hands behinds their backs; we wouldn't want them playing papers, rocks and scissors. Bureaucrats just wanna have f-u-U-u-n...

Companies routinely restrict content on corporate-issued devices, and if they do allow personal devices and have employees that cannot resist the urge to kill pigs with birds during meetings, they have hiring issues.
    Easy, pal. You know that's not the argument I'm making. You don't have to be so obnoxious about it.
    10-14-11 11:41 PM
    it will b interesting to see if bbx/qnx addresses some of these things that are issues and if it happens what will happen elsewhere
    10-14-11 11:51 PM
    Easy, pal. You know that's not the argument I'm making. You don't have to be so obnoxious about it.
    Actually wasn't trying to be; was intended to be more tongue-in-cheek. Accept my apologies if it seemed a bit so.

I don't think the the playing of games will increase with a potential switch to other non-BB devices.
    10-15-11 12:40 AM
    More likely it was simply a member of the drone team accidentally exposing the drive to the internet or an infected file. Not everything is a conspiracy. That's why they call these viruses. They act like a virus and are usually caught by accident.
    With proper security procedures, there would be no such thing as "accidentally" exposing ANY secured computer to the internet . The secured computers I worked with or on were not allowed to be connected to the internet, and hard drives were removable and required to be secured n a steel file cabinet by S&G PADLOCK when unattended.

If someone is exposing secured drone controlling computers to the internet, or connecting any type of external media to them, there is a severe security breech or lax. These are not laptops that pilots take home to do homework or surf the internet I severely hope.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-15-11 at 01:38 AM.
    10-15-11 01:35 AM
    Would it simply be the idea that the data is routed through a foreign country and back again?

Not meaning to be funny, or cute here but how secure (terrorism wise) are RIM's facilities?
    10-15-11 03:05 AM
    yiked rim. yikes.
    10-15-11 03:47 AM
    I don't know what they do in the government, but giving them an iPhone or Android is indirectly permitting people to play games and what not with their phones. If you were the owner of a company, is that something that you would endorse? Besides, the BB has the best battery life among the three and a super fast recharge time, helping people stay connected [to their jobs] longer.
    yeah, you are right..i wonder how the employees at Google and Apple with their android and iOS devices are getting any work done. Somehow they are still dominating blackberry even with all the games to distract them.
    10-15-11 06:49 AM
    I'm a huge Android fanboi, but Android is the LAST place I'd go to for security. There's way too many things that still need to be ironed out with Android.

How credible is GCN, I'm going to ignore Endgaget since they're pro-Apple.
    10-15-11 06:55 AM
    Those Sectera's are junk. You think Android battery life is bad. Why do you think that the Army is looking into Android if there is a classified smartphone already available?
    10-15-11 08:12 AM
    Those Sectera's are junk. You think Android battery life is bad. Why do you think that the Army is looking into Android if there is a classified smartphone already available?
    Ease of development, larger skilled development community?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=31.483880,65.842524
    10-15-11 08:35 AM
    Software development in the government sector is not easy. Lifecycle management grinds any development into a crawl because of security requirements and gate reviews. The government is now adopting agile development, but even so, the smallest development and subsequent release will take months.
    10-15-11 09:54 AM
    Please let's not make this a political issue, it is against forum rules, besides, The National Security Agency, FBI and the US military disagree with you and agree with The White House. In their opinion, staying with Blackberry is the actual security risk, particularly given their future plans of deploying smart phones on the battlefield.
    Someone who knows what they're talking about (great post). iPhone's are now allowed at my place of employment now just came out 2 months ago. Most people still have their blackberry's though me being one of them. But if i wanted my personal phone on their it could be, but they might take it from me when i pcs so i passed on that.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 10-15-11 at 10:14 AM.
    10-15-11 10:12 AM
    Ok this may sound harsh but... it's comical reading everyone's posts on this thread. Pretending like your a bunch of security experts and you know what best for the President and the US Government. LOL. get real people and admit you don't have a clue of what your talking about. You sound like a bunch of 3rd graders. Because you've read a few articles and blogs or whatever doesn't suddenly turn you into a subject matter expert. Thank goodness we have REAL security experts, teams of really smart people with years of training and experience looking at these things and determining what works and what doesn't.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    10-15-11 10:56 AM
    Ok this may sound harsh but... it's comical reading everyone's posts on this thread. Pretending like your a bunch of security experts and you know what best for the President and the US Government. LOL. get real people and admit you don't have a clue of what your talking about. You sound like a bunch of 3rd graders. Because you've read a few articles and blogs or whatever doesn't suddenly turn you into a subject matter expert. Thank goodness we have REAL security experts, teams of really smart people with years of training and experience looking at these things and determining what works and what doesn't.
    Thanks for your expert input. Now excuse me..it's recess time and I have some 2nd graders to bully around..
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    10-15-11 10:59 AM
    Yes, from what I read I think it was from using infected drives or some such thing since the drone computers are not actually connected to the internet.
    From what I've read, it was the operators using the sneaker net to move data. Apparently those folks are using USB drives to move mission parameters and such from the mission planners to the control systems. Last I saw, using an external drive (even on an isolated network or system) required approval from the first echelon two commander in the chain of command, and those external devices were tightly controlled and monitored. The only way for anything malicious to get on those devices was for a person (always the weak link in ANY security program) to plug an unsecure device into that system. Oops.
    Last edited by Underway99; 10-15-11 at 11:26 AM.
    10-15-11 11:24 AM
    Supposedly the root kit virus was in fact software installed by the army itself to monitor their own computers. That's why it keeps coming back after they uninstall it. Problem is nobody in that group was told that it was there. Or they weren't supposed to know that it ws there to monitor and log everything they were doing.
    10-15-11 02:52 PM
    Didn't want to read it all but if all ready posted sorry. For the "want to buy American" but how many of any phones are made in the USA? I guess maybe it's more about where the OS is made?
    10-15-11 03:05 PM
    Didn't want to read it all but if all ready posted sorry. For the "want to buy American" but how many of any phones are made in the USA? I guess maybe it's more about where the OS is made?
    I think it has little to do with "buy American." I think it may have more to do with cost, convenience and familiarity.
    10-15-11 03:17 PM
    I don't really care what phone the president uses, I do care which companies tablet and phones have been FIPS certified to be sold to the government. And that company is RIM. End of story until the other guys catch up.
    10-15-11 04:08 PM
    From what I've read, it was the operators using the sneaker net to move data. Apparently those folks are using USB drives to move mission parameters and such from the mission planners to the control systems. Last I saw, using an external drive (even on an isolated network or system) required approval from the first echelon two commander in the chain of command, and those external devices were tightly controlled and monitored. The only way for anything malicious to get on those devices was for a person (always the weak link in ANY security program) to plug an unsecure device into that system. Oops.
    Correct!!!

it's comical reading everyone's posts on this thread. Pretending like your a bunch of security experts and you know what best for the President and the US Government. LOL. get real people and admit you don't have a clue of what your talking about. You sound like a bunch of 3rd graders.
    Supposedly the root kit virus was in fact software installed by the army itself to monitor their own computers. That's why it keeps coming back after they uninstall it. Problem is nobody in that group was told that it was there. Or they weren't supposed to know that it ws there to monitor and log everything they were doing.

Wrong!

(Still finding it comical?) I'm beginning to see your viewpoint
    Will you be getting real and admitting you don't have a clue what you are talking about?

Yes it was sneaker net from a thumbdrive - the video game "mafia wars" the culprit.

The Virus Infecting the U.S. Drone Fleet Came from Mafia Wars - National - The Atlantic Wire

This is security????

To quote myself:

With proper security procedures, there would be no such thing as "accidentally" exposing ANY secured computer to the internet . The secured computers I worked with or on were not allowed to be connected to the internet, and hard drives were removable and required to be secured n a steel file cabinet by S&G PADLOCK when unattended.

If someone is exposing secured drone controlling computers to the internet, or connecting any type of external media to them, there is a severe security breech or lax. These are not laptops that pilots take home to do homework or surf the internet I severely hope.
    And I do know what I'm talking about. I have worked on Secret classified projects for all branches of the military.

Major security violation highlighting the danger of using COTS equipment.
    Good thing it was benign.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-15-11 at 05:04 PM.
    10-15-11 04:42 PM
    Do you work for the secret services? How have you researched everyone's background experience and technical skills? The fool here is you for your ignorant and arrogant assumptions.
    10-15-11 04:55 PM
    Do you work for the secret services? How have you researched everyone's background experience and technical skills? The fool here is you for your ignorant and arrogant assumptions.
    LOL. are you implying that the posts in this thread are from real security experts. um yeah right. If so, I'd like to hear from them maybe they could post their background in infosec.
    10-15-11 05:12 PM

Yes it was sneaker net from a thumbdrive - the video game "mafia wars" the culprit.

The Virus Infecting the U.S. Drone Fleet Came from Mafia Wars - National - The Atlantic Wire
    This has not been verified. In fact, other sources are disputing the claims made in that article.
    10-15-11 05:18 PM
    LOL. are you implying that the posts in this thread are from real security experts. um yeah right. If so, I'd like to hear from them maybe they could post their background in infosec.
    I've been in network design, implementation and support for 15 years, 12 of which contracting to Federal government which I'm still currently doing. Do both data and voice, and the secure transport of both.
    10-15-11 06:49 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD