Well, some people like iOS or Android and they'll just use it to run their businesses. It just means the iPhone or Android devices are better than the BlackBerry... for them.
    Exactly. It doesn't matter what device you have. If it works, it works.

Anyway, I would think the "toy" label (which for some weird reason, people find offensive) has some merit. While I have absolutely zero doubt that iPhones can be used to run businesses, anecdotal evidence (at least in my country) points to the iPhone being used as purely a media/gaming device much more often.
    Every device can be labeled a toy. High School students playing brick breaker and BBMing in the back of the classroom are not using the BB to run a business or as a tool. Many of my younger cousins and their friends have BBs. None of them use the device to manage their lives. They use the device to just text and BBM and update facebook status.

Having said that, what's the big deal? So what if it can and is being used as a toy?
    It isn't a big deal. It is just hilarious that BBs users think the only device that can be used as a tool is a B, and everything else is a toy. Meanwhile, what I posted above, makes a BB a toy, but BB users just dismiss it all the time with so stupid *** excuse.

Kudos to you if it brings joy to your life and gives you well deserved enjoyment after a day of hard work. A car can be a toy, a DSLR camera can be a toy, heck even a BlackBerry can be a toy. Some people have 5 BlackBerry phones within the space of a year. In fact, the iPhone's capability of being both a business device and toy makes it superior to the BlackBerry in that sense. It's versatile. We're not just talking about semantics here. I believe it involves a slew of social and cultural issues depending on where you live.
    Agreed.

What's strange is that people find it offensive that their iPhone is called a toy. Even stranger are those people who give it the derogative "toy" label.
    Yea it is funny. I find it hilarious.

Back to the topic, I believe that mobile devices are very personal. Everything works together to help you perform better in whatever you're doing. The form factor is not an isolated consideration. Would you use a phone with a Bold form factor sporting Symbian? Maybe not for you, but some people would die to have it.
    Eww Symbian. The E74 is nice though.
    01-21-11 03:17 PM
    Just goes to show how important games and stuff are to phone users. Blackberry needs to beef things up in that area.

I had an iphone, it sucked for work purposes so I went back to blackberry.
    01-21-11 03:22 PM
    Wait how is BIS more secure? If I don't password lock my phone, anyone can access my BIS settings, and my email is still open to the internets. And of course social engineering could possibly hack into a BIS account as well.

Technically any Android/iPhone could be wiped with a simple exchange command... or a paid app as well.
    Well I can set the phone to strong encryption and set to wipe after 3 attempts. Plus I can encrypt the media card.

Social engineering BIS? Okay then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 03:39 PM
    I can send a text to wipe an android or iphone, wiping the phone.
    Jailbreaking/rooting has nothing to do with the security beyond unlocking or changing feature sets within the phone. I guess if someone was to actually hack into it data wise to get to a contact list I'm assuming or possibly a messaging. Maybe I'm missing something, as I haven't heard of that being exploited. And if it has been I'd like to know.

Any email on a BIS account is pretty much vulnerable, so unless you are you are on BES then thats a moot point. BBM will be secure, but that's different considering iphone and Android aren't geared to have single platform communications.
    Is your statement wishful thinking? You do know that to reset the BIS password there is no interaction just a message to the phone. If your phone is secured like mine you are screwed of you forget your credentials.

01-21-11 03:46 PM
    You won't get any argument on that one from anyone, period. But in Android's defense, that would be like saying your BB opinions were solely based on a Storm running OS 4.
    I liked what I see from an operating system stand point no doubt, Android is great! I'm sure if I was using an Evo or a Droid X there would be nothing but good to talk about. I just want to know what was going through Motorola's mind when they created the Backflip, I would REALLY love to know what they were thinking about when they actually went through with releasing the phone haha.
    01-21-11 04:18 PM
    Wait how is BIS more secure? If I don't password lock my phone, anyone can access my BIS settings, and my email is still open to the internets. And of course social engineering could possibly hack into a BIS account as well.

Technically any Android/iPhone could be wiped with a simple exchange command... or a paid app as well.
    Social enginering hacking into a BIS account? Let's call this what it is. Somebody trusting you with the info. Phishing. Back in the day SE was used to find our what kind of platform a dameon was running what kind of accounts and maybe a hintbatba user name. The rest came from work. Trial and error without risking show an admin an atempt on a log. Sure you can scan ports and get dameon versions but ya leaving traces. I think the point here is they are not worried about the commucation between the device and the server is going to be captured and decrypted. Now if I tell you my email info and password then you logged on then where's the hack? There is none. Just a simple phishing trip.

01-21-11 04:41 PM
    I love both BB and IP4.
    I can open Word, Excel and PPT files on iPhone right out of the box, no problem and the rendering is beautiful. I cannot edit those without installing a 3rd party app such as Doc to Go etc.
    Viewing Excel file on a larger and very crisp screen of IP4 is absolutely no problem.
    I never attempted to open or see Excel files on my Bold 9780 but the law of physics should apply.
    I can't see Excel files so easy to read on a BB screen as you say. If you are doing this everyday, you go blind :-).

BTW, iPhone can read PDF right out of the box, again absolutely no problem.
    All these files open almost instantly. So there...
    Aight then what your telling me is I can take my wife's ip4 and put my cattle sales.xls and then open it up? Right out the box? She hasn't installed no ms office apps on it. This is what your telling me? Since your enlightening me to how much better the ip4 is. Tell me how I can easly transfer these documents between my pc and the ip4. The ip4 doesn't support ftp over BT or adhoc on wifi. I can't seem drag and drop to the device over usb. Now I wanna see you edit an excel on an ip4 after the virtual keyboard removes half of your screen. Would you plz video that and put it on youtube? I promise to watch it a lot and often. Look I gave the the other devices props for being bigger. I think I'm the one that pointed it out. But yea I. Use my spreadsheets on my BB daily. Several times matter of fact.

Last edited by 13echo4; 01-21-11 at 06:18 PM.
    01-21-11 04:56 PM
    You've got what, 50 posts bub? Most of mine have been made after I left BB and at least half of them are from helping people with their BB issues. I help folks who PM me questions as well. Be careful who you tell to go away, next thing you know, a huge chunk of this site's active knowledge base will be gone and it'll be a ghost town.
    You are 100% correct. The people on this site that have Android's and iPhones now have been Blackberry users in the past, and have been part of these forums for a while, and have helped a lot of people. The active people on crackberry have developed a relationship of sorts, and we have just as much, if not more right to be here then someone who just picked up their first berry, and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
    01-21-11 05:11 PM
    Well of course BB can read PDF documents the pro BB folks will argue, even though they can't do it from the media card, but rather only if someone emailed one small enough to be received through your push email, so less than 2.9mb for BIS users.
    What's the science here. What if I transfered the pdf from card to device memory? Would device beable to read it? Wouldn't 2.9mb be a lot of data in pdf? I dunno cause I don't use it. There's just been a few feed tables that I've download to my pc that I've opened up in pdf and I transfer that data over to excel. I made me spreadsheets of the feed. I think I'm going to test this out. I need to find me some controls to test with.

01-21-11 06:16 PM
    I am done with arguing any points of equality with any fanboys, of which there are many here. I only tried to state that there are many misconceptions and many equalities at a minimum between the platforms. Everyone has to turn it into why something sucks, and in most cases ignorance and emotions rule.

Stick with whatever you like and good luck with that.
    01-21-11 06:27 PM
    You're so right!!
    01-21-11 06:45 PM
    Aight then what your telling me is I can take my wife's ip4 and put my cattle sales.xls and then open it up? Right out the box? She hasn't installed no ms office apps on it. This is what your telling me? Since your enlightening me to how much better the ip4 is. Tell me how I can easly transfer these documents between my pc and the ip4. The ip4 doesn't support ftp over BT or adhoc on wifi. I can't seem drag and drop to the device over usb. Now I wanna see you edit an excel on an ip4 after the virtual keyboard removes half of your screen. Would you plz video that and put it on youtube? I promise to watch it a lot and often. Look I gave the the other devices props for being bigger. I think I'm the one that pointed it out. But yea I. Use my spreadsheets on my BB daily. Several times matter of fact.

Something that Android and iPhone users have long enjoyed was using Dropbox to wireless sync files between phone and computer. I think it was only late last year that Dropbox was available for BB.
    01-21-11 06:47 PM
    I am done with arguing any points of equality with any fanboys, of which there are many here. I only tried to state that there are many misconceptions and many equalities at a minimum between the platforms. Everyone has to turn it into why something sucks, and in most cases ignorance and emotions rule.

Stick with whatever you like and good luck with that.
    This makes no sense to me at all. The op clearly stated why he won't own an iphone. Some felt the need to correct him. I for one stated why I wouldn't. My reasons are for what I can do with my phone. Some felt the need to express that a droid could do the same. Well what does a droid have to do with this topic? And as if I would just jump up and run get an iphone cause it could do what my phone can. I've just stated that I won't own an iphone cause my BB will mange ms office files out the box. Someone needs to prove that the iphone will also. Now assumeing that it will what did his statement really say? You dont need your blackberry cause iphone van do that?
    Here's the cat out of the bag. BB users such as myself isn't bashing your devices by making statements like I won't own brand "x" cause mine does this. I'm saying since my device does this I'm fine right where I'm at. Thank you but no thanks. Really? Come on, what's an iphone or android os going to do that a Rim os isn't? There you have it. Nothing that alittle work around etc won't cure. Its Nazi germany around here if we don't spit and burn our BB yall going to shot us. I said in my very 1st reply in this thread my opinion will not change. It clearly won't because my BB might to anything more, but it does everthing I need it to.

01-21-11 07:02 PM
    Top 10 Paid iPhone Apps of All Time

1. Doodle Jump
    2. Tap Tap Revenge 3
    3. Pocket God
    4. Angry Birds
    5. Tap Tap Revenge 2.6
    6. Bejeweled 2 + Blitz
    7. Traffic Rush
    8. Tap Tap Revenge Classic
    9. AppBox Pro Alarm
    10. Flight Control

From BGR
    Not a good enough reason.
    01-21-11 07:10 PM
    Something that Android and iPhone users have long enjoyed was using Dropbox to wireless sync files between phone and computer. I think it was only late last year that Dropbox was available for BB.
    Can dropbox transfer doc file to the device. I just thought you could view doc type files that where in your dropbox on your pc. I thought only media files could actually be transfered. Ill check this out. Thanks for the tip

01-21-11 07:18 PM

Oh, sorry if I upset you. I was only pointing out the fact that some of your statement was not correct. I am not an Apple sales person :-).
    When I saw your post, I immediately opened one of the Excel files in my IP4 just to check and it was without a hitch.
    Now regarding your having to first transfer MS Office files to the phone, there's a number of ways to do it. Someone mentioned a Dropbox method, which is one.
    The excel file I happened to be checking was the attachment to an email, so you can send files that way.
    But I installed a number of file exchange programs, all of which works just fine. I have a MobileMe (iDisk), then, there's an Air Sharing, Briefcase, Box.net and of course Evernote. But I seldom use them. There's also a few free programs that turn the IP4 into a USB drive (you can see it in your desktop and transfer files drag and drop).

As to editing, I never tried to edit anything on IP4. I used the phone mainly to see what's what. If I had to edit, I just go to a PC/Mac/laptop or whatever. If it is not readily available, I can just wait.
    In a pinch, I guess I can edit any of these document, and the keyboard, although it takes some real estate, it won't bother me, as I will probably edit just a small part. If I have to do a massive editing, it would be totally doable on IP4, but silly as well.

That's the way I view and use the smartphone anyway.
    01-21-11 07:33 PM
    I use 2 apps to wifi transfer my pictures and other documents.

For videos and docs I have downloaded (or got in an email) I use the "downloader", which gives the phone wifi transfer (remote location on my PC), and for pictures, I can view them in my browser with the free app called "wifi-photo".

problems solved!

01-21-11 07:36 PM
    You've got what, 50 posts bub? Most of mine have been made after I left BB and at least half of them are from helping people with their BB issues. I help folks who PM me questions as well. Be careful who you tell to go away, next thing you know, a huge chunk of this site's active knowledge base will be gone and it'll be a ghost town.
    Can't agree with this statement enough. I know for a fact that I post on here every so often - tend to read more - to try and help out now and then and I have been on an iPhone 4 for several months. Don't get me wrong, the BlackBerry is an amazing platform but for what I do currently the web browser is a big deciding factor for me so when Apple put a large battery in the phone it suited my needs. That being said, I consider myself to have more knowledge about BlackBerry than most and I thoroughly enjoy posting (to help and to converse) as well as reading on this forum. A big complement I have always had about crackberry was that compared to other sites (such as tipb.com) it tends to be a very mature, pleasant blog/forum. I'd like to keep it that way. I for one think that having the competition amongst devices does nothing but benefit us all...now when someone else switches devices they can ask a question and a fellow crackberry poster will know.

Not using the same phone as someone doesn't make them less of a person. I am sure a number of the top posters- even moderators - have other devices. Doesn't make their knowledge less helpful.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-21-11 07:50 PM
    Oh, sorry if I upset you. I was only pointing out the fact that some of your statement was not correct. I am not an Apple sales person :-).
    I guess I'm sorry for upsetting you. I had no idea you don't like to be questioned. So why stop there? I've noticed all the app downloading you've done to do that so simple task. What I wanted to know is if with out installing any apps can I transfer a xls. File to her ios4 and view. Simple yes or no. Simple without installing any apps how can I transfer a doc file to her device. I mean I'm asking how to steal a ssi file from the irs's mainframe.
    I want to test this out. My wife doesn't use her iphone to view documents. She plays. Its for her in joyment. That her choice. I don't want to install anything on her phone that she doesn't want there. Pleasenjust a simple answer for someone trying to learn something.
    When your doing all this wifi transfering is it ad hoc or from a wifi network. I don't have a network to transfer on. So that's why I had the limits set the way they where earlier.
    You haven't pointed anything out other than yea ok and xls. File can be open on an iphone. Who said it couldn't? Me? When?

01-21-11 07:56 PM
    Not a good enough reason.
    Good enough reason for the adults bub.
    01-21-11 08:27 PM
    Yes, blackberry has that too you know, smrtguard is one.

What will you do if the thief takes your sim card out though? I imagine that's the first thing they would do

Well I'm on CDMA, so no SIM for me. Obviously they wouldn't be able to use it on BIS because it'd be reported stolen. But I get where you are going with it. But in theory unless you locked your phone on a BB, a thief could do the same thing.
    01-21-11 08:29 PM
    Good enough reason for the adults bub.
    ORLY?

Well. here's some food for thought, the iPhone does Browsing, emails, etc so well it doesn't need any other apps to make it better. Wish i could say the same for RIM's phones;
    Top 10 Blackberry Applications 2010 | Blogoncherry: Blog about News, Travel, Love, Life and Deals

huh, would'ya look at that? All those top apps, since RIM couldn't get their stuff 'right' out of the box, ie. the music player app for a BB vs. the iPod on the iPhone.

But carry on with your biased viewpoint.
    Last edited by mmagda; 01-21-11 at 08:37 PM.
    01-21-11 08:32 PM
    Well I can set the phone to strong encryption and set to wipe after 3 attempts. Plus I can encrypt the media card.

Social engineering BIS? Okay then?

Obviously it would have to be a more inside job, but there are smart hackers, and dumber people in which case they could easily pretend to say act like they could reset your phones. I'm just throwing stuff to the lowest common denominator that people could do.

Almost no system is 100% safe, but BB is pretty damn good... Just presenting arguments in the most common of situations amongst consumers. I won't count BES as most peoples policies will have stronger encryption then say a storm user who just wanted a iphone like device and doesn't lock it. And yes there are a lot of those people out there.
    01-21-11 08:35 PM
    Obviously it would have to be a more inside job, but there are smart hackers, and dumber people in which case they could easily pretend to say act like they could reset your phones. I'm just throwing stuff to the lowest common denominator that people could do.

Almost no system is 100% safe, but BB is pretty damn good... Just presenting arguments in the most common of situations amongst consumers. I won't count BES as most peoples policies will have stronger encryption then say a storm user who just wanted a iphone like device and doesn't lock it. And yes there are a lot of those people out there.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I know for one that any enterprise device is significantly more secure. The iPhone is a perfect example when compared to a BlackBerry. I know people who own both through a company and they are both secure. Alternatively, I know people - such as my sister - who don't think security is a concern. As such, any device can be left open. I will not contradict the accepted - when push comes to shove the BlackBerry platform can probably be considered the more secure platform if done properly. However, for the majority of (personal/consumer) users, the phone security is limited by the user not the device.
    01-21-11 08:44 PM
    I guess I'm sorry for upsetting you. I had no idea you don't like to be questioned. So why stop there? I've noticed all the app downloading you've done to do that so simple task. What I wanted to know is if with out installing any apps can I transfer a xls. File to her ios4 and view. Simple yes or no. Simple without installing any apps how can I transfer a doc file to her device. I mean I'm asking how to steal a ssi file from the irs's mainframe.
    I want to test this out. My wife doesn't use her iphone to view documents. She plays. Its for her in joyment. That her choice. I don't want to install anything on her phone that she doesn't want there. Pleasenjust a simple answer for someone trying to learn something.
    When your doing all this wifi transfering is it ad hoc or from a wifi network. I don't have a network to transfer on. So that's why I had the limits set the way they where earlier.
    You haven't pointed anything out other than yea ok and xls. File can be open on an iphone. Who said it couldn't? Me? When?

Do I not like to be questioned? I never thought I was questioned. I am not challenging you.
    I got lost somewhere but I simply thought that you said that IP4 cannot "open" or "read" MS Office docs, excel in particular, "right out of box", pointing out that this is one of the major things that BB can. ....or some such.
    I do not know why it morphed into the file transfer issue, but again, in the course of this discussion, you raised the file transfer issue and people are responding.
    So, if you stick to your original misconception that the iPhone cannot open or read the excel file, and BB can, that was wrong.

To answer your above question, which is different from your original one, whether or not the iPhone can transfer file back and forth between different devices 'right out of the box", no.

But then, as someone else said, earlier in this thread (Route 66?), there is a myriad of apps available for any number of purposes and most of them are free or just a few dollars at most. This is where iPhone does have an advantage. Its app store is not just for games etc, but there is a huge stockpile of business related and utility apps. It's just a matter of installing them. I am not so sure of this "right out of the box" argument.

But please make no mistake. My primary phone is BB, not an iPhone. I used my BB almost as a sophisticated version of Palm Pilot, i.e., everyday use and abuse for managing my personal info (To do, tasks) and communication (email, phone). For that, it is superbly handy. If you want to do googling, consult maps, or view some Office docs, iPhone (and perhaps Android too) is most suitable. If you have to go one step further and wish to "edit" the docs, then you go up to something like iPad or PlayBook, or laptop.

So, to answer your very original question, BB and iPhone can perform most of the biz functions "right out of the box". iPhone simply has the advantage of larger screen and faster CPU, which tends to be suitable for viewing and manipulating docs.

Just don't be defensive :-). I am a BB fan.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-21-11 08:51 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD