not the point padawan ......you were spreading misinformation and were called on it.
    Really smart guy? Maybe you should try actually reading a thread before commenting and spouting nonsense. The post you quoted was my first in this thread. Another poster made the comment about the productivity apps.
    01-21-11 12:07 AM
    A PowerPoint or Excel file on an iPhone is way easier to read than my Storm2.
    Not right out the box. You can't take the iphone out the box turn it on and open an exl file. Sorry. I'm an iphone user by force. My wife is lucky I love her. I hate iphones and apple. I have not seen an exl app for android or iphone that's easier to read than on bbs. Unless your spinning that the screen is bigger. Yes the screen is bigger. That I would change about BBs. I would luke a bigger screen. But exl files on my bbs is very easy to read. I read them a lot everyday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 12:51 AM
    Not right out the box. You can't take the iphone out the box turn it on and open an exl file. Sorry. I'm an iphone user by force. My wife is lucky I love her. I hate iphones and apple. I have not seen an exl app for android or iphone that's easier to read than on bbs. Unless your spinning that the screen is bigger. Yes the screen is bigger. That I would change about BBs. I would luke a bigger screen. But exl files on my bbs is very easy to read. I read them a lot everyday.

I love both BB and IP4.
    I can open Word, Excel and PPT files on iPhone right out of the box, no problem and the rendering is beautiful. I cannot edit those without installing a 3rd party app such as Doc to Go etc.
    Viewing Excel file on a larger and very crisp screen of IP4 is absolutely no problem.
    I never attempted to open or see Excel files on my Bold 9780 but the law of physics should apply.
    I can't see Excel files so easy to read on a BB screen as you say. If you are doing this everyday, you go blind :-).

BTW, iPhone can read PDF right out of the box, again absolutely no problem.
    All these files open almost instantly. So there...
    01-21-11 02:40 AM
    I love both BB and IP4.
    I can open Word, Excel and PPT files on iPhone right out of the box, no problem and the rendering is beautiful. I cannot edit those without installing a 3rd party app such as Doc to Go etc.
    Viewing Excel file on a larger and very crisp screen of IP4 is absolutely no problem.
    I never attempted to open or see Excel files on my Bold 9780 but the law of physics should apply.
    I can't see Excel files so easy to read on a BB screen as you say. If you are doing this everyday, you go blind :-).

BTW, iPhone can read PDF right out of the box, again absolutely no problem.
    All these files open almost instantly. So there...

The problem with viewing and editing Excel sheets on a touch screen, not just iphone, is when you need to bring up the keyboard the actual viewing side gets very small, with a blackberry that's always constant and you don't need to constantly hide and show the keyboard as you move to other cells that need edited.
    Even tho the 9700 has a smaller screen you can be very productive on it, 9000 was even better, if not much better at doing this.
    Also you can easily zoom in and out just by pressing I-zoom in O-zoom out.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-21-11 at 03:51 AM.
    01-21-11 03:47 AM
    Why is it that when someone mentions something bad about a platform it's considered "bashing".....every platform has good and bad. No phone is perfect.....only best for one's needs.
    01-21-11 05:39 AM
    The problem with viewing and editing Excel sheets on a touch screen, not just iphone, is when you need to bring up the keyboard the actual viewing side gets very small, with a blackberry that's always constant and you don't need to constantly hide and show the keyboard as you move to other cells that need edited.
    Even tho the 9700 has a smaller screen you can be very productive on it, 9000 was even better, if not much better at doing this.
    Also you can easily zoom in and out just by pressing I-zoom in O-zoom out.

Have you really used an iPhone and opened an Excel file? If you have, you would not say something like this.
    This is also when pinch to zoom really shine.
    No, not bashing or criticizing or siding on iPhone.. Just pointing out that what you are saying is not factual.
    01-21-11 07:04 AM
    Another poster made the comment about the productivity apps.
    Sorry dude mixed you up with another fanboy... its confusing sometimes cause you seem all the same
    01-21-11 07:32 AM
    Might I suggest getting you eyes checked? Have you seen the exact same file on both devices? I have viewed/created/edited Powerpoints on my 9000 and could see just fine. The text on one of the .ppt you've seen could've just been small.
    That's ridiculous.

The iPhone screen is bigger and the resolution is like 3x that of a Storm - nevermind a 9000. Text is bound to be easier to read on the iPhone - bad eyes or not. It's pretty damn obvious why. I don't know why you felt the need to insult him like that.

It's way easier to read office documents on a 3.5-4.3" WVGA/QHD screen, and pinch to zoom makes them much easier to work with at all.

No offense, but a Bold 9000 doesn't even compare to an iPhone when it comes to reading and rendering text, or working with Office Documents.

It "works for you." Gratz on that, but the touchscreen phones are better for this stuff. The Torch and Storm are better for working with office documents than the QWERTY devices, though.
    01-21-11 07:48 AM
    Have you really used an iPhone and opened an Excel file? If you have, you would not say something like this.
    This is also when pinch to zoom really shine.
    No, not bashing or criticizing or siding on iPhone.. Just pointing out that what you are saying is not factual.
    I know viewing them on the iphone will be much better, I was talking about actually editing them, not having to show and hide the virtual keyboard helps being more productive. Pinch to zoom is cool but it does require more moves then simply pressing one letter.

01-21-11 08:20 AM
    That's ridiculous.

The iPhone screen is bigger and the resolution is like 3x that of a Storm - nevermind a 9000. Text is bound to be easier to read on the iPhone - bad eyes or not. It's pretty damn obvious why. I don't know why you felt the need to insult him like that.

It's way easier to read office documents on a 3.5-4.3" WVGA/QHD screen, and pinch to zoom makes them much easier to work with at all.

No offense, but a Bold 9000 doesn't even compare to an iPhone when it comes to reading and rendering text, or working with Office Documents.

It "works for you." Gratz on that, but the touchscreen phones are better for this stuff. The Torch and Storm are better for working with office documents than the QWERTY devices, though.
    What you said is true for viewing documents, not true for editing them. On a touch screen you have to show keyboard, hide keyboard, show, hide, show, hide, it's time consuming not to mention once the keyboard is on the screen your 4inch screen is now 2 inch.

01-21-11 08:24 AM
    However, my Android experience was a bad one, and when I drop the name of the phone you'll understand why. Motorola Backflip. Moving on.
    You won't get any argument on that one from anyone, period. But in Android's defense, that would be like saying your BB opinions were solely based on a Storm running OS 4.
    01-21-11 08:47 AM
    Everyone knows the REAL reason for the excitement but the faithful will never admit it. The REAL reason that the faithful is excited about QNX is that it better "mimmicks" what the iPhone and Android can already do. And yes, that includes BETTER GAMES.
    Better games, yes. Mimicking the iPhone/Android, no. If we can have the game quality of the iPhone/Android, while having the security and such of BB, then we want that. Why choose when you can have it all? I want the OS that Apple is trying to copy into iOS 4.3! May I simply ask though, other than games, how is QNX at all more like iPhone/Android than blackberry is?
    01-21-11 09:09 AM
    Better games, yes. Mimicking the iPhone/Android, no. If we can have the game quality of the iPhone/Android, while having the security and such of BB, then we want that. Why choose when you can have it all? I want the OS that Apple is trying to copy into iOS 4.3! May I simply ask though, other than games, how is QNX at all more like iPhone/Android than blackberry is?
    The security argument is bogus because a Blackberry on BIS is no more secure than any other phone. And to answer your question, the whole interface is way more similar than anything RIM currently has to offer. Make no mistake about it. That's why they bought it.
    Last edited by 67Tucker; 01-21-11 at 09:18 AM.
    01-21-11 09:16 AM
    The security argument is bogus because a Blackberry on BIS is no more secure than any other phone. And to answer your question, the whole interface is way more similar than anything RIM currently has to offer. Make no mistake about it. That's why they bought it.
    On BIS it's still more secure, just not as much more, and I actually can put it on BES to get a high level of security that (to the best of my knowledge) isn't even possible on iPhone/Android. It could just be me, but it seems to me like it's OS6 with apps in the background instead of blank space. As iPhone at least (haven't actually used Android much) can't do this level of multitasking, how is the interface any more like iPhone/Android with this level of multitasking in the background than it is without? And if games and looking like iPhone/Android are the only reason a person would want QNX, then clearly I'm not a person, because I mainly want the multitasking and bridge...
    01-21-11 09:41 AM
    On BIS it's still more secure, just not as much more, and I actually can put it on BES to get a high level of security that (to the best of my knowledge) isn't even possible on iPhone/Android. It could just be me, but it seems to me like it's OS6 with apps in the background instead of blank space. As iPhone at least (haven't actually used Android much) can't do this level of multitasking, how is the interface any more like iPhone/Android with this level of multitasking in the background than it is without? And if games and looking like iPhone/Android are the only reason a person would want QNX, then clearly I'm not a person, because I mainly want the multitasking and bridge...
    I don't have an iPhone, but Android multi-tasks very well (with the actual processing power to handle it).
    01-21-11 10:00 AM
    Wait how is BIS more secure? If I don't password lock my phone, anyone can access my BIS settings, and my email is still open to the internets. And of course social engineering could possibly hack into a BIS account as well.

Technically any Android/iPhone could be wiped with a simple exchange command... or a paid app as well.
    01-21-11 10:25 AM
    Wait how is BIS more secure? If I don't password lock my phone, anyone can access my BIS settings, and my email is still open to the internets. And of course social engineering could possibly hack into a BIS account as well.

Technically any Android/iPhone could be wiped with a simple exchange command... or a paid app as well.
    You can password wipe a blackberry, enter the wrong one 3 times and all the info gets deleted.
    Can you root/jailbreak a blackberry? No
    Can anybody access the data (email, bbm) going from blackberry to noc and back? No, uae, india, pakistan etc are crying about it and even tried to ban blackberry as they can't snoop on it.
    What more do you want?

01-21-11 10:51 AM
    Please don't compare QNX, in any iteration (before RIM got involved, the PlayBook's UI etc), to iOS or Android. The QNX we'll see on smartphones will be different than the PlayBook; this is where TaT comes in.
    01-21-11 11:56 AM
    Now that you have said your peace, take of the cheerleader outfit and refute what I said.

I have a Blackberry in my hand right now, btw.
    Are you going to repeat that 100 more times? Nobody cares what you use.

These are 2 distinctly different platforms geared at different users and demographics, and both have their advantages and disadvantages....
    01-21-11 02:04 PM

also if your saying the site would be dead if the non BB half went, well tipb has 53,000 members, AC has 99,000 users, CB has 2.8million users, so even if half went CB would still have over 14 times the users of AC. hardly dead is it
    LOL awesome
    01-21-11 02:06 PM
    Are you going to repeat that 100 more times? Nobody cares what you use.

These are 2 distinctly different platforms geared at different users and demographics, and both have their advantages and disadvantages....
    Uh huh. I know.
    01-21-11 02:07 PM
    Tap tap, 1, 2.6 and 3. were free at some point.
    01-21-11 02:08 PM
    HAHAHAHAAAAA Someone rated this as 1. :P

iPhonies get out.
    01-21-11 02:30 PM
    You can password wipe a blackberry, enter the wrong one 3 times and all the info gets deleted.
    Can you root/jailbreak a blackberry? No
    Can anybody access the data (email, bbm) going from blackberry to noc and back? No, uae, india, pakistan etc are crying about it and even tried to ban blackberry as they can't snoop on it.
    What more do you want?

I can send a text to wipe an android or iphone, wiping the phone.
    Jailbreaking/rooting has nothing to do with the security beyond unlocking or changing feature sets within the phone. I guess if someone was to actually hack into it data wise to get to a contact list I'm assuming or possibly a messaging. Maybe I'm missing something, as I haven't heard of that being exploited. And if it has been I'd like to know.

Any email on a BIS account is pretty much vulnerable, so unless you are you are on BES then thats a moot point. BBM will be secure, but that's different considering iphone and Android aren't geared to have single platform communications.
    01-21-11 02:36 PM
    I can send a text to wipe an android or iphone, wiping the phone.
    Jailbreaking/rooting has nothing to do with the security beyond unlocking or changing feature sets within the phone. I guess if someone was to actually hack into it data wise to get to a contact list I'm assuming or possibly a messaging. Maybe I'm missing something, as I haven't heard of that being exploited. And if it has been I'd like to know.

Any email on a BIS account is pretty much vulnerable, so unless you are you are on BES then thats a moot point. BBM will be secure, but that's different considering iphone and Android aren't geared to have single platform communications.
    Yes, blackberry has that too you know, smrtguard is one.

What will you do if the thief takes your sim card out though? I imagine that's the first thing they would do

01-21-11 02:46 PM
189 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD