My pcs do. They all came with word and excel. They even came with nic cards. That's all I need. Oh yea windows also comes with a calculater. Android dint always come with quickoffice and I'm sure all devices come with it either. I've been using BB for awhile. I'm suppose to go to another platform cause you like it? Or better yet cause they heard the BB owners arguements and decided it was time to add that to their devices. No I'm not. Besides I liked all the BBs I bought better than what was out there at that time. The Torch was no different. I gave $200 for my 9700 and $200 for my 9800 inside of a year. Believe me I can get what I want. I want what trust and what I like. Untell something changes it will be BB. I don't know about a pdf file I don't use em. I can't recall ever trying to open one on my BB so I'll take yalls word for it.
    Why is it ridiculious for me to say that I like my BB cause it does what I want rigjt out the box?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm glad you like your BB. I liked my Curve and more or less liked my 9630.

All I was trying to say is that it is silly to call a device a toy just because you have to install an app or two to get it to do what you might need.

I've never bought a PC that had word and excel on it standard. Maybe I just buy the cheapies with no preinstalled software. At best they had MS Works on them.

Bottom line is I'm not here to convince anybody to change devices. I couldn't care less what you prefer. I just think some of the silly stabs at other devices aren't really needed.
    john_v and The Gift like this.
    01-20-11 05:00 PM
    Its not a stab. That's what I'm trying to say. Its saying that we have been doing this all along on BBs. Android is just now picking it up. Weither its been 6month or 3 days. I know they dint use to have it. BB didn't us to have it. It has for several years. So yes for me to comment that I think the BB is for me out the box is best cause.... Is a very justifiable statement.
    To answer the question why does it matter weither you setup your phone or it already is out the box. Its something I don't have to look for and install. I can already transfer those files to my device without haveing to setup the software. I mean it just makes more sence to me. You know the software on the device should work. Don't have to worry about getting the wrong version etc etc. Its just something I can't explain. If I didn't already have a tractor I would go buy one I had to build to put to work. I bought one that was already to go.

01-20-11 05:27 PM
    D
    Its not a stab. That's what I'm trying to say. Its saying that we have been doing this all along on BBs. Android is just now picking it up. Weither its been 6month or 3 days. I know they dint use to have it. BB didn't us to have it. It has for several years. So yes for me to comment that I think the BB is for me out the box is best cause.... Is a very justifiable statement.
    To answer the question why does it matter weither you setup your phone or it already is out the box. Its something I don't have to look for and install. I can already transfer those files to my device without haveing to setup the software. I mean it just makes more sence to me. You know the software on the device should work. Don't have to worry about getting the wrong version etc etc. Its just something I can't explain. If I didn't already have a tractor I would go buy one I had to build to put to work. I bought one that was already to go.

My tractor didn't roll out of JD's factory with a loader attached. I had to get the dealer to put one on. If I didn't have the dealer to do it, I' have done it myself. I don't see the difficulty.

If it is something you want to do, you will find a way to do it on whatever device you happen to like.

How's that free included pdf reader working out?
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-20-11 at 05:47 PM.
    01-20-11 05:44 PM
    I was curious about why BlackBerry users call iPhone a toy so I asked my stepdad is there were any business apps. There's a category for business and the app selection is way beyond what BlackBerry offers. My stepdad owns his own business and uses an iPhone for it.

As a precurser(probably spelled wrong...lol) to the strong possibility of a different platform upgrade next month I have been going to Android Central as well as Tipb for iphone info and went on itunes that I of course use for my ipods and conucted a sort of mock app look up for business as if I bought a iphone on VZW and wanted to set it up for business.

I was surprized at how many productivity apps and business apps there are that are very good ones to conduct really anything you want to do related to your business or sharing with business partners.

Anyway it's all about individual preference and I just don'tthink no matter what the decision an individual makes, they should not get attacked since it is their moneyu and choice.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 01-20-11 at 06:10 PM.
    01-20-11 06:07 PM
    +1 for pretty much everything Tucker has said. Maybe sandman as well. Maybe.
    Last edited by CASH; 01-20-11 at 06:20 PM.
    01-20-11 06:16 PM
    D

My tractor didn't roll out of JD's factory with a loader attached. I had to get the dealer to put one on. If I didn't have the dealer to do it, I' have done it myself. I don't see the difficulty.

If it is something you want to do, you will find a way to do it on whatever device you happen to like.
    You had the dealer do it cause the FEL prep kit is a pita to install. None the less your came with the the FEL when you bought unless bought it later. And then you went back to JD. I have a JD w/ a FEL. I had it installed at the the time I bought it. I don't see where rhats the same thing but if you do I won't agrue with you. I just don't agree.
    How's that free included pdf reader working out?

01-20-11 06:35 PM
    Everyone knows the REAL reason for the excitement but the faithful will never admit it. The REAL reason that the faithful is excited about QNX is that it better "mimmicks" what the iPhone and Android can already do. And yes, that includes BETTER GAMES.
    "EVERYONE" is quite the generalization. I am not excited for QNX in the least. Personally, I'm still fine with OS5. I don't like transitions, so I'm not going to switch to OS6 until/unless Theme Builder support is added. Aside from that, not everybody has games on their phone.

I do believe your "REAL reason" is an assumption, at best.
    rick0415 likes this.
    01-20-11 06:41 PM
    Just because you can play games and browse the web on iPhones and Droids doesn't make them toys. As has been said before, if OS 5 was so great then why the push for OS 6 with such an emphasis on multimedia and the webkit browser? Look at the Blackberry website. The front page has photos of friends and even a dog. It sure makes it look like they are marketing BB's a social media "toy." All of the serious business users here on CB ought to be outraged.

But really things are going to get interesting this year. With the iPhone and many smartphones on VZW, people will start to chose the devices they want on the network they want. Then free enterprise will take over. As long as there are many choices we'll all be relatively happy
    01-20-11 06:42 PM
    "EVERYONE" is quite the generalization. I am not excited for QNX in the least. Personally, I'm still fine with OS5. I don't like transitions, so I'm not going to switch to OS6 until/unless Theme Builder support is added. Aside from that, not everybody has games on their phone.

I do believe your "REAL reason" is an assumption, at best.
    Same here. OS5 for blackberry+QNX for tablet. Don't need QNX on a qwerty blackberry.

01-20-11 06:47 PM
    This has been said before. Lord I've said it more times than I wish I had. The iphone right out the box isn't equipped to be ran has a business phone. So you have to install free or pay for apps. Doc. And excel is already on the BB along with other type stuff that just makes the BB what it is. There's a bunch of us that would just take the base."Works right out the box" and add to it as we see fit. With it being that way. Function before fun its easier to run a stable work device. You got to remember BB has been running the office suites for along time stand alone where ios and android has to use websites and work around until here recently. Android and ios is getting better. However they are still fun over function. That's my opinion no need to argue it you won't change my opinion. A year from now they might prove them selves different.
    I wonder why apple and android owners feel they need to come to BB forums to prove themselves.

I am a BB user with Android and iPhone experience, and you are mistaken. The iPhone supports multiple exchange accounts, including push, out of the box. It supports MS Office formats out of the box. It has a unified inbox. It has better access to corporate websites and intranets than BB. My company IT department is pushing people to go to iOS and Android rather than BB so they can kill the RIM server. The iPhone and Android users in my office get their emails before my BB nearly every time. They also get full HTML email that is not truncated. A PowerPoint or Excel file on an iPhone is way easier to read than my Storm2.

My BB is pretty darn good, and in many ways I like it better. I still like BB notifications and ease and speed of performing tasks. However, the others have caught or surpassed RIM in most areas a business user needs. They have not caught up in all, but things are changing rapidly.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 01-20-11 at 06:49 PM.
    01-20-11 06:47 PM
    i am new to this site....not new to blackberry. it is the fact that blackberries are simple and and does what i need it to. the i phone has too much to it. there is a such thing as TOO MUCH
    i7guy likes this.
    01-20-11 06:59 PM
    i am new to this site....not new to blackberry. it is the fact that blackberries are simple and and does what i need it to. the i phone has too much to it. there is a such thing as TOO MUCH
    You hit the nail on the head and a lot of folks (i'll avoid the use of the derogatory term fanboi) don't understand why some of us may be happy in spite of the pronostications of the "RIM is dead" crowd.
    01-20-11 07:07 PM
    Can't we all just get along? Use what you want to use and let others do the same.
    CASH likes this.
    01-20-11 07:09 PM
    You hit the nail on the head and a lot of folks (i'll avoid the use of the derogatory term fanboi) don't understand why some of us may be happy in spite of the pronostications of the "RIM is dead" crowd.
    Actually I think you hit the nail on the head too. You're happy with BB and that is fine. Others aren't and that's their right. The problem seems to be the massive psueriority complexes from the fanbois, droids, and crackheads. Just because games are the number one sellers doesn't mean the iPhones are only used to play games. It is probably that way because those numbers probably include iPods and iPads which obviously don't make calls.
    01-20-11 07:22 PM
    I am a BB user with Android and iPhone experience, and you are mistaken. The iPhone supports multiple exchange accounts, including push, out of the box. It supports MS Office formats out of the box. It has a unified inbox. It has better access to corporate websites and intranets than BB. My company IT department is pushing people to go to iOS and Android rather than BB so they can kill the RIM server. The iPhone and Android users in my office get their emails before my BB nearly every time. They also get full HTML email that is not truncated. A PowerPoint or Excel file on an iPhone is way easier to read than my Storm2.

My BB is pretty darn good, and in many ways I like it better. I still like BB notifications and ease and speed of performing tasks. However, the others have caught or surpassed RIM in most areas a business user needs. They have not caught up in all, but things are changing rapidly.
    What when did ios4 come with ms office apps out rhe box. My wife has ever iphone from 2g-ip4. Nonenof them came with excel or docs. She has every update to date. She got the excel on her 3gs ans had to log onto some site to read em.

01-20-11 07:35 PM
    Actually I think you hit the nail on the head too. You're happy with BB and that is fine. Others aren't and that's their right. The problem seems to be the massive psueriority complexes from the fanbois, droids, and crackheads. Just because games are the number one sellers doesn't mean the iPhones are only used to play games. It is probably that way because those numbers probably include iPods and iPads which obviously don't make calls.
    Let's not forget that the iPhone and other high end devices actually have the hardware to play these games. It is funny how these devices that are more capable because of their hardware are always considered toys. I know people who run their business off of their iPhone and Android devices. I guess their toy works better for them than the greatest tool in the world, the BlackBerry.
    01-20-11 07:39 PM
    I am a BB user with Android and iPhone experience, and you are mistaken. It supports MS Office formats out of the box.
    No, sir, you are mistaken. iOS does not support Microsoft Office files (.xls, .doc, .ppt). You have to download 3rd-party software from the iTunes app store or Cydia.

It has a unified inbox.
    And BlackBerry doesn't?

The iPhone and Android users in my office get their emails before my BB nearly every time.
    May be network issues. BES/BIS could be experiencing downtime. etc etc

A PowerPoint or Excel file on an iPhone is way easier to read than my Storm2.
    Might I suggest getting you eyes checked? Have you seen the exact same file on both devices? I have viewed/created/edited Powerpoints on my 9000 and could see just fine. The text on one of the .ppt you've seen could've just been small.
    01-20-11 08:49 PM
    No, sir, you are mistaken. iOS does not support Microsoft Office files (.xls, .doc, .ppt). You have to download 3rd-party software from the iTunes app store or Cydia.
    Yea, the two minutes that it would take to find, download, and install that software is so burdensome
    01-20-11 09:26 PM
    Yea, the two minutes that it would take to find, download, and install that software is so burdensome
    not the point padawan ......you were spreading misinformation and were called on it.
    Ferretling likes this.
    01-20-11 10:13 PM
    ^ Star Wars reference FTW.
    01-20-11 10:20 PM
    Let's not forget that the iPhone and other high end devices actually have the hardware to play these games. It is funny how these devices that are more capable because of their hardware are always considered toys. I know people who run their business off of their iPhone and Android devices. I guess their toy works better for them than the greatest tool in the world, the BlackBerry.
    Well, some people like iOS or Android and they'll just use it to run their businesses. It just means the iPhone or Android devices are better than the BlackBerry... for them.

Anyway, I would think the "toy" label (which for some weird reason, people find offensive) has some merit. While I have absolutely zero doubt that iPhones can be used to run businesses, anecdotal evidence (at least in my country) points to the iPhone being used as purely a media/gaming device much more often.

Having said that, what's the big deal? So what if it can and is being used as a toy? Kudos to you if it brings joy to your life and gives you well deserved enjoyment after a day of hard work. A car can be a toy, a DSLR camera can be a toy, heck even a BlackBerry can be a toy. Some people have 5 BlackBerry phones within the space of a year. In fact, the iPhone's capability of being both a business device and toy makes it superior to the BlackBerry in that sense. It's versatile. We're not just talking about semantics here. I believe it involves a slew of social and cultural issues depending on where you live.

What's strange is that people find it offensive that their iPhone is called a toy. Even stranger are those people who give it the derogative "toy" label. It reminds me of those amateurish photographers who own DSLR cameras with lens kits worth thousands of dollars, thinking that they're professional when they don't even understand the principles of lighting. I frequently hear them complaining that every Tom, **** and Harry now owns a DSLR camera. Somehow it threatens their "superior" status. I'm in the design industry and I don't see real professional photographers giving a damn about these issues.

Back to the topic, I believe that mobile devices are very personal. Everything works together to help you perform better in whatever you're doing. The form factor is not an isolated consideration. Would you use a phone with a Bold form factor sporting Symbian? Maybe not for you, but some people would die to have it.

BTW this post is not directed at you avt123, or anyone in particular.

Edit: Also, if my name is Dic-k I would be offended because it gets censored off these boards. Doesn't anybody realise that some people do have a real name called "Dic-k"? "Hi I'm **** I'm new to CrackBerry forums".
    Last edited by Derwent Graphite; 01-20-11 at 10:59 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    01-20-11 10:20 PM
    What's strange is that people find it offensive that their iPhone is called a toy. Even stranger is those people who give it the derogative "toy" label.
    Well said.
    01-20-11 10:47 PM

I am in 100% agreement with this post, in that;

1. His statement about iPhone is very true (I never used Androids so I have no opinion on them). So much old myth about BB.

2. But I like my Bold 9780 better (for now) for everyday task. When I need any browser/map intensive tasks, I switch to iPhone.
    01-20-11 10:52 PM

May be network issues. BES/BIS could be experiencing downtime. etc etc

I use Bold 9780 as a primary but IP4 is also on the desk.
    When email arrives, IP4 rings first, followed by BB, then by a desktop, every single time.
    BB is a king of email is an old story.
    I use Bold 9780 not for email nor qwerty. It has other qualities I like.
    01-20-11 11:00 PM
    I liked the iPhone. The app support is great for it (obviously) its the biggest selling point of the device. However, my Android experience was a bad one, and when I drop the name of the phone you'll understand why. Motorola Backflip. Moving on. I currently own a Torch and love it, I've owned both a Bold 8900 and a Curve 8520, obviously the Torch is a huge upgrade from the two, but I still loved the phones. Blackberry in my opinion has a superior keyboard to most devices out there. It helps me get WORK done.

If I want to play games, I have a gaming computer and an Xbox 360. But if I do decide I want to play games on my Torch, I still have Final Fantasy on there, nuff' said.
    01-20-11 11:02 PM
189 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD