Reed, I see your point. But my point is that discussion and help is what CrackBerry has been about. You can't even mention iPhone or Android here or ask question in comparison to a BlackBerry without being told to "just to buy your toy and get out." It's sad because I've been here 3 years and I've learned a lot and helped my share of users. Hopefully AC will get busier. Then I won't have to post here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 11:28 AM
    This site would be dead without former BlackBerry users and users of other platforms. BlackBerry users are dwindling quickly. Why do you think there's an Apple and Android section? Why do you think the mods aren't locking threads?

I believe you misspoke here. Where is the empirical data to back-up your claim that CrackBerry.com "would be dead without former Blackberry users and users of other platforms?"
    01-20-11 11:39 AM
    Reed, I see your point. But my point is that discussion and help is what CrackBerry has been about. You can't even mention iPhone or Android here or ask question in comparison to a BlackBerry without being told to "just to buy your toy and get out." It's sad because I've been here 3 years and I've learned a lot and helped my share of users. Hopefully AC will get busier. Then I won't have to post here.

Is it that bad now? I have not been following as closely as before, and I pretty much skip the childish "my phone is better than yours" or flames... my time is too valuable to waste reading those crap.
    01-20-11 11:39 AM
    You've got what, 50 posts bub? Most of mine have been made after I left BB and at least half of them are from helping people with their BB issues. I help folks who PM me questions as well. Be careful who you tell to go away, next thing you know, a huge chunk of this site's active knowledge base will be gone and it'll be a ghost town.
    That's right this site is about helping others not bashing ! I don't care if you have 5 million post. If you gonna be bashing do it on your on site. Helping is what this site is intended for.

01-20-11 11:41 AM

You have paid your dues my friend, and you have put in plenty of hours supporting our common goals. AC will be a better place for your support.

I would hope you continue to include CrackBerry in your top 3 favorites.

Guess I have to do some BBM contact maintenance when you go 'Droid.

01-20-11 11:52 AM
    Gotcha! See ya around if you're on AC! I still think it's funny you had the wrong PIN posted for a year!

01-20-11 11:57 AM
    That's right this site is about helping others not bashing ! I don't care if you have 5 million post. If you gonna be bashing do it on your on site. Helping is what this site is intended for.

I agree with you that bashing has no place on this site, but expand that to include bashing of any device, including non-BB devices. Bashing like this thread was intended to do for example.

I don't care if it is a BB site, a lot of folks come here looking for buying tips, research, etc. It does them a disservice to automatically recommend them a BB without looking at what their needs are.

A lot of folks read the threads here and I'm sure value comparisons that former BB owners can provide.

Then there are the discussions. If you realize everything is a tradeoff, we'll get along great because we can discuss the pros and cons of different devices intelligently. If you think the BB was forged from the Gods atop Mount Olympus, then perhaps you might get a little touchy if someone brings up the cons the device has instead of just the pros all the time.

That sort of respect does work both ways though, and it is possible to discuss the negatives without bashing, just keep it fact based and knock it off with the "toy" crap, because the alleged "toy" devices can do nearly as much as the BB devices these days, and in some cases much more. Just because you can use something for work and play doesn't make it a toy BTW.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-20-11 at 12:12 PM.
    01-20-11 12:08 PM
    I agree totally agree. I don't bash other phones. In fact my wife will probably get a droid. That will be her business. I'm just saying if your gonna bash another phone do it in your respective forums. That's not to hard to ask is it ?

01-20-11 12:27 PM
    just a shame about the signal on/off switch on the side of it eh

theres a section on tipb for non apple devices, so are their numbers dwindling too?

if RIM`s userbase is dwindling, then how comes they always sell more and more devices each quarter? that kinda refutes ur arguement.

the US is not the world, and RIM is a global company.

at the end of the day thats why theres choice, so people who dont like blackberry (or any other phone/os) dont have to buy one.

also if your saying the site would be dead if the non BB half went, well tipb has 53,000 members, AC has 99,000 users, CB has 2.8million users, so even if half went CB would still have over 14 times the users of AC. hardly dead is it
    A) The signal defect happened in literally less than 10% of the newest model of the iPhone.
    B) CB has been around for years longer than either AC or tipb.
    C) RIM sells less units worldwide than any other company besides Palm and Palm is very nearly dead.

Do some research before trying to make sweeping statements. Or at least use logic, please.
    01-20-11 12:35 PM
    I was curious about why BlackBerry users call iPhone a toy so I asked my stepdad is there were any business apps. There's a category for business and the app selection is way beyond what BlackBerry offers. My stepdad owns his own business and uses an iPhone for it.

There is an article (see below) that says four out of ten iphones are sold to business users. I personally don't believe any device is a toy. If it meets your needs, that is the device for you.

Report: Business Users Flock to Apple iPhone | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    Chrisy, john_v and The Gift like this.
    01-20-11 12:37 PM
    I agree with you that bashing has no place on this site, but expand that to include bashing of any device, including non-BB devices. Bashing like this thread was intended to do for example.

I don't care if it is a BB site, a lot of folks come here looking for buying tips, research, etc. It does them a disservice to automatically recommend them a BB without looking at what their needs are.

A lot of folks read the threads here and I'm sure value comparisons that former BB owners can provide.

Then there are the discussions. If you realize everything is a tradeoff, we'll get along great because we can discuss the pros and cons of different devices intelligently. If you think the BB was forged from the Gods atop Mount Olympus, then perhaps you might get a little touchy if someone brings up the cons the device has instead of just the pros all the time.

That sort of respect does work both ways though, and it is possible to discuss the negatives without bashing, just keep it fact based and knock it off with the "toy" crap, because the alleged "toy" devices can do nearly as much as the BB devices these days, and in some cases much more. Just because you can use something for work and play doesn't make it a toy BTW.
    The point that I am trying to make is for example you are going to a football game and dallas cowboys and the washington redskins are playing. You wanna cheer for the cowboys and dog the redskins you aren't gonna set on the redskins side are you ? No. I do reespect your post and am sure you are very knowledgeable in smartphones. Have a good day.

01-20-11 12:43 PM
    This site would be dead without former BlackBerry users and users of other platforms. BlackBerry users are dwindling quickly. Why do you think there's an Apple and Android section? Why do you think the mods aren't locking threads?

You are right chrisy520, but the voracity and viciousness (IMHO) of some of the posts on both sides have me SMH. Some of us take the opportunity constantly belittle fellow posters and other devices that we don't agree with. I like Crackberry, but I am also practical. When/if the site no longer exists I will move on.
    01-20-11 12:47 PM
    The point that I am trying to make is for example you are going to a football game and dallas cowboys and the washington redskins are playing. You wanna cheer for the cowboys and dog the redskins you aren't gonna set on the redskins side are you ? No. I do reespect your post and am sure you are very knowledgeable in smartphones. Have a good day.

Most folks here label the RIM critics as bashers and haters. Truth be told, we don't want RIM to fail, but rather we would like them to improve their current negatives/downsides enough that we might go back to them.

I do like RIM BB devices, I've owned 2 different ones since 2008. I just want to see them put out a competitive device. Even if I don't switch back to it, it provides more incentive for everyone else to bump their lineup ahead another notch.

I will sit on whatever side of the stadium I feel comfortable on. As was said, I happen to like it here, and I'll talk about the positives and negatives about BB devices here, because an honest discussion involves both.
    01-20-11 12:48 PM
    We all know the difference between bashing and constructive criticism. The old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" may be useful here.
    01-20-11 01:01 PM
    We all know the difference between bashing and constructive criticism. The old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" may be useful here.
    Apparently we all don't know the difference because some of us enjoy bashing Apple and Android devices. I don't give a rat's backside that this is officially primarily a BB site, that doesn't make doing it right. So, nobody should get their knickers in a twist when someone or more step in to defend the device being bashed.

I agree two wrongs don't make a right. So if you live in a glass house, throwing stones at the other devices may not be the best way to go...
    Fit24 and john_v like this.
    01-20-11 01:20 PM
    At least it is pretty good at what it does... except for having to use iTunes. ew
    01-20-11 02:05 PM
    I was curious about why BlackBerry users call iPhone a toy so I asked my stepdad is there were any business apps. There's a category for business and the app selection is way beyond what BlackBerry offers. My stepdad owns his own business and uses an iPhone for it.

This has been said before. Lord I've said it more times than I wish I had. The iphone right out the box isn't equipped to be ran has a business phone. So you have to install free or pay for apps. Doc. And excel is already on the BB along with other type stuff that just makes the BB what it is. There's a bunch of us that would just take the base."Works right out the box" and add to it as we see fit. With it being that way. Function before fun its easier to run a stable work device. You got to remember BB has been running the office suites for along time stand alone where ios and android has to use websites and work around until here recently. Android and ios is getting better. However they are still fun over function. That's my opinion no need to argue it you won't change my opinion. A year from now they might prove them selves different.
    I wonder why apple and android owners feel they need to come to BB forums to prove themselves.

01-20-11 03:48 PM
    Because we can call out your opinion if we have reason to believe it's far from the truth. Also, what function means to some, won't be the same as others. Form follows function, but the form will be based on what's one's definition of function, and what's most effective to achieve it.
    01-20-11 03:53 PM
    we don't want RIM to fail, but rather we would like them to improve their current negatives/downsides enough that we might go back to them.

I do like RIM BB devices, I've owned 2 different ones since 2008. I just want to see them put out a competitive device. Even if I don't switch back to it, it provides more incentive for everyone else to bump their lineup ahead another notch.

I will sit on whatever side of the stadium I feel comfortable on. As was said, I happen to like it here, and I'll talk about the positives and negatives about BB devices here, because an honest discussion involves both.
    Good post. I agree. That being said Rim sets the syandard and not the pace. I dont know about the storms causeni haven't owned 1. I've heard that they never worked right. Again I don't know never fooled around with one nor have I known anyone with one. Besides them models Rims devices fuction as advertised. Now that function might not be what some wish it would be. Those people have the chose to go get what does what they want. Give Rim time to get what they are doing worked out. Rim is going to put some nice things out.
    Now really where is Rim really lacking?

01-20-11 04:00 PM
    This has been said before. Lord I've said it more times than I wish I had. The iphone right out the box isn't equipped to be ran has a business phone. So you have to install free or pay for apps. Doc. And excel is already on the BB along with other type stuff that just makes the BB what it is. There's a bunch of us that would just take the base."Works right out the box" and add to it as we see fit. With it being that way. Function before fun its easier to run a stable work device. You got to remember BB has been running the office suites for along time stand alone where ios and android has to use websites and work around until here recently. Android and ios is getting better. However they are still fun over function. That's my opinion no need to argue it you won't change my opinion. A year from now they might prove them selves different.
    I wonder why apple and android owners feel they need to come to BB forums to prove themselves.

What difference does it make if you need to install apps or not? I've never understood this line of thinking. As long as it can be equipped to perform the task at hand, it shouldn't matter if it works "right out of the box". It's not like its hard or expensive to aquire the necessary tools. A Blackberry can't even read a pdf "right out of the box", for Pete's sake.
    01-20-11 04:02 PM
    Because we can call out your opinion if we have reason to believe it's far from the truth. Also, what function means to some, won't be the same as others. Form follows function, but the form will be based on what's one's definition of function, and what's most effective to achieve it.
    No you can argue. Function is to do the work I intend for it to do. Although in all you said your right in that what you form and what I form is 2 different things. I form that my BB has functions for my busness right out the box. That works better for me. Now like I said you won't sway my opinion. Btw truth has nothingbtobdo with an opinion unless yourbsay you don't believe ithats my opinion.

01-20-11 04:06 PM
    What difference does it make if you need to install apps or not? I've never understood this line of thinking. As long as it can be equipped to perform the task at hand, it shouldn't matter if it works "right out of the box". It's not like its hard or expensive to aquire the necessary tools. A Blackberry can't even read a pdf "right out of the box", for Pete's sake.
    Well of course BB can read PDF documents the pro BB folks will argue, even though they can't do it from the media card, but rather only if someone emailed one small enough to be received through your push email, so less than 2.9mb for BIS users.

Your PC isn't going to have every program you need to use right out of the box either? What's the point? BTW, Android devices come with QuickOffice installed, including a fully functional PDF reader. Apple mobile devices I'm not so sure of.

I think the no "stock" app for some things argument is beyond ridiculous.
    01-20-11 04:17 PM
    It's a game machine that kicks the A$$ of every phone on your little list.
    Every once in a while we are on the same page, if I wanted a game machine I would get the iphone, but since I don't I have my Blackberry.
    01-20-11 04:21 PM

I don't need "business apps", I need business communication.
    01-20-11 04:29 PM
    Your PC isn't going to have every program you need to use right out of the box either? What's the point? BTW, Android devices come with QuickOffice installed, including a fully functional PDF reader. Apple mobile devices I'm not so sure of.

I think the no "stock" app for some things argument is beyond ridiculous.
    My pcs do. They all came with word and excel. They even came with nic cards. That's all I need. Oh yea windows also comes with a calculater. Android dint always come with quickoffice and I'm sure all devices come with it either. I've been using BB for awhile. I'm suppose to go to another platform cause you like it? Or better yet cause they heard the BB owners arguements and decided it was time to add that to their devices. No I'm not. Besides I liked all the BBs I bought better than what was out there at that time. The Torch was no different. I gave $200 for my 9700 and $200 for my 9800 inside of a year. Believe me I can get what I want. I want what trust and what I like. Untell something changes it will be BB. I don't know about a pdf file I don't use em. I can't recall ever trying to open one on my BB so I'll take yalls word for it.
    Why is it ridiculious for me to say that I like my BB cause it does what I want rigjt out the box?

01-20-11 04:51 PM
189 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD